Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Yeah but I got really annoyed by the cigarette thing...

The Town was shit too. What is it with American's being obsessed about being Irish?...They aren't Irish. At all. I'm more Irish than they are. I've been to Ireland. I can do a better accent too. Weapons.

To be fair I've never met someone like that, but I'm sure they exist cos they're in every film...and they're always doing and saying things which are apparently "Irish" despite not being remotely like anything anyone I know who's Irish does or says..."It's an Irish thing" "Oh You Irish bastard" etc etc...You aren't fecking Irish. You're Matt Damon. You haven't even set foot in Ireland, you know nothing about Ireland, it's culture or it's history beyond a vague awareness of the IRA and some films with Liam Neeson in, you wear a Celtic top cos it's got a clover on it and you go to theme pubs with lucky horse shoes and pictures of Leprechauns on the walls which would make real Irish people cringe and you wear leather jackets with leather flat caps or perhaps some kind of witty sloganed T-Shirt with something about being Irish on it but you're Not...fecking...Irish!!!..And what's more, Irish people think you're a twat!

AaarrgrggghhhH!!

I'd give the Town a 6. Nothing wrong with it it was just dull.

To be fair I've never met someone like that, but I'm sure they exist cos they're in every film...and they're always doing and saying things which are apparently "Irish" despite not being remotely like anything anyone I know who's Irish does or says..."It's an Irish thing" "Oh You Irish bastard" etc etc...You aren't fecking Irish. You're Matt Damon. You haven't even set foot in Ireland, you know nothing about Ireland, it's culture or it's history beyond a vague awareness of the IRA and some films with Liam Neeson in, you wear a Celtic top cos it's got a clover on it and you go to theme pubs with lucky horse shoes and pictures of Leprechauns on the walls which would make real Irish people cringe and you wear leather jackets with leather flat caps or perhaps some kind of witty sloganed T-Shirt with something about being Irish on it but you're Not...fecking...Irish!!!..And what's more, Irish people think you're a twat!

AaarrgrggghhhH!!

I'd give the Town a 6. Nothing wrong with it it was just dull.

:lol::lol:

Dan Hardy beat Marcus Davis because Hardy did the best WUM ever about Davis being a Plastic Paddy.

Marcus Davis, born and raised in Maine, nicknamed The Irish Hand Grenade. Hardy basically said that he wasn't Irish at all and that his website looked like a St Patricks shop exploded. Davis went mental and lost the fight.

I once told a Chinese-American girl in NY that she wasn't actually Chinese and should stop calling herself such cos she'd never been there and couldn't speak any and since I'd done both, I was a better Chinese person than her.

She gave me her number.

Anybody seen 'The Town'? It's supposed to be good and Ben Affleck's first proper acting. Bluray quality awaits :drool:

I knew something was up with Skyline when the soundtrack CD listed the end-credits power-ballad love-theme as: "Did You Honestly Have Nothing Else Better To Do (Than To Love Me?) - 4:46"

Of Gods and Men - 9

Really good film. I don't often agree much with reviews but Jonathan Romney gets it spot on in the Independent and has a nice line or two.

'Directed by Xavier Beauvois, Of Gods and Men is based on a true story that's better known in France than here. It would therefore be a spoiler to tell you more, but I imagine that for anyone who knows the background, the film will have a tragic resonance from the start. The setting is a Cistercian monastery in Algeria in 1995, where the resident French monks have been advised to leave the country given the period's rise in fundamentalist violence. The brethren, who have cordial relations with the local community, search their souls – some calmly, some in agony – as they decide what to do.

Scripted by the film's producer Etienne Comar, Of Gods and Men offers a mature and complex meditation on religious belief, courage and the post-colonial trauma that still dogs France (and its former colonies even more). It so happens that the monastery's cerebral abbot (Lambert Wilson) is a devoted scholar of the Koran, able to debate Islam with the mujahideen who arrive at his door.

This unapologetically low-key film has something of the contemplative solemnity of Into Great Silence, the documentary about Trappist monks that was an art-house hit four Christmases ago. The drama is punctuated by scenes of liturgical chanting that make for a kind of rarefied religious musical. But this is also a gripping political thriller in which the prospect of violence always hangs over these men of peace. It's a film that takes the idea of heroism seriously, not in a pious or glamorising manner, but as a stark existential question of what it means to stick to your beliefs at the risk of your life. For all its gentleness and no-nonsense lucidity, this is also a very male film that treats the monk's calling as a tough job for professionals who had better have the right stuff – The Hurt Locker in surplices.

The film includes one of the year's most affecting and intimate screen moments – a scene in which the monks, with doom at their very doorstep, sit at dinner listening to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, as Caroline Champetier's camera scans their faces one by one in searching close-up. The ensemble cast, headed by Wilson and the affably magisterial Michael Lonsdale, is superb. Beauvois directs with quiet toughness. And the spare, no-frills script asks difficult and pressing questions about personal and collective responsibility, and that argues persuasively for mutual understanding between faiths and cultures. This is commanding, immensely satisfying and unusually grown-up cinema.

Peacock A film with distinct hints of Hitchcock. Strangely it hardly got a cinema release despite it being far far better than the majority of tat we watch these days. Cillian Murphy is very very good indeed in the main role. By the end you do sadly feel like there should have been a bit more to the finale but I think that might be more to do with us having seen it all before rather than an inherent weakness in the film. Well worth a watch in any event. 8/10

Step Brothers So bad that we stopped watching about 30 minutes in. Yet another retarded Will Ferrel comedy sadly. Avoid like the plague.1/10

Two Zero One Two:

With John Cusack, Danny Glover, Thandie Newton and Woody Harrelson amongst the cast members, you could be forgiven for thinking this might be watchable. You would be mistaken, this is a bad disaster movie with awful CGI and some cringeworthy scenes.

Some films are so bad they're worth watching for a laugh, this film isn't even that good.

Some of my favourite features in the movie are as follows:

John Cusack has the driving ability to jump Limousines and camper vans over vast chasms at will. It's also possible to drive a Limo through a collapsing skyscraper as it crumbles to the ground.

John Cusack made a pact with the Pachamama which meant that almost every chasm, crack, smoke cloud and Lava Ball happened behind him and moved in the general direction he was travelling in.

The Queen boarding one of the ships with her Corgi.

The film includes one of the year's most affecting and intimate screen moments – a scene in which the monks, with doom at their very doorstep, sit at dinner listening to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, as Caroline Champetier's camera scans their faces one by one in searching close-up.

Mark Kermode was raving about that scene on his podcast. Seemed to be genuinely moved and almost choked up describing it.

Yeah, nice work if you can get it.

He's got good taste in movies though. Most of the time anyway.

I suspect he's put a lot time into getting to where he's at. But yeah, I talk bollocks for free, in reality....so getting paid would be the next logical step.

Have you not seen Black Book then?! has anyone?

Black Book has a decent leading performance but otherwise it's a bit pants.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley I watched this on Saturday night and was very impressed. The characters aren't really like the 'ard Irish from Boston types Mockney loves so much since they're actually from Ireland. It's probably one of the best movies I've seen so far this year, but Damian bothered me for some reason.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley I watched this on Saturday night and was very impressed. The characters aren't really like the 'ard Irish from Boston types Mockney loves so much since they're actually from Ireland. It's probably one of the best movies I've seen so far this year, but Damian bothered me for some reason.

It's incredibly inaccurate both in terms of historical accuracy and accents and so on. That said, I'm not sure it was particularly aimed at Irish people.

Bradshaw was blubbing in the Guardian too, it is a genuinely moving scene.

Wasn't he just?

It climaxes in a quite incredible "Last Supper" sequence, in which the monks share red wine to the accompaniment of Tchaikovsky's Grand Theme from Swan Lake, playing on an old tape machine in the corner. Beauvois's camera does nothing but pan slowly around the table while this happens, minutely watching these men's careworn faces as they absorb the mystery of their own deaths. It is an overwhelming fusion of portraiture and drama, and perhaps one of the most sensational things I have seen on the big screen. Many who have watched this scene find it overwrought, overdone, and the Tchaikovsky unsubtle. Well, maybe. But each time I have watched it, frankly, I have become overwhelmed with an emotion I can't possibly describe. A friend told me that my face looked like Henry Thomas's when he sees ET come back to life. I am almost tempted to say that cinema audiences should be required to stand during this sequence, like concertgoers during the Hallelujah chorus in Handel's Messiah.

Here's the trailer.

It's triggered some quality youtube debate an' all...

jesusorder10
Lesbianism is a sin. This movie glorifies it. Boycott this movie if you're a Christian, join me in opposition to the homosexual agenda

Bertziethegreat
@jesusorder10 Any god that doesn't support lesbians can go feck himself.