Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Green Mile

What an utter utter shit movie! Mindless drivel and that's 3 hours of my life I won't get back. If anyone wants to bore themselves to death with absolute tripe...watch The Green Mile... I went in with such high expectations seeing as it had Tom Hanks, had an 8.4/10 on IMDB, and was written and directed but the same fella who did Shawshawnk...and that is what I get?!

1/10 and I'm being generous!

The Green Mile is easily better than Shawshank you shitscone.

It's not.

I agree with the rating.

Yeah but Shawshank's characters are cliched and the storyline is about as unoriginal as it gets, complete with a happy ending. Green Mile's problem is that it puts the audience on an emotional rollercoaster - all of it totally spoonfed. I suppose I can just about stomach Shawshank's. . .The Green Mile on the otherhand is virtually unbearable for me.

The Crazies - 6/10 Good fun, but it has all been done a million times before

Solomon Kane 2/10 Terrible, horrible shite movie

Yeah but Shawshank's characters are cliched and the storyline is about as unoriginal as it gets, complete with a happy ending. Green Mile's problem is that it puts the audience on an emotional rollercoaster - all of it totally spoonfed. I suppose I can just about stomach Shawshank's. . .The Green Mile on the otherhand is virtually unbearable for me.

True true, but I think Shawshank manages to do what they try to do, in what they try to portray -in a stylistic and consistent way. The Green Mile misses more because of the spoonfeeding and completely weird decisions. Shawshank must also be one of the most safest films ever done, so I don't know whether that goes in favour of The Green Mile or not.

Safe to say is that I like neither of them and am not going to sacrifice any more thought on the subject.

Predators - 4/10

A distinct lack of action for an action movie and a bit of a hack job.

Saw both these films at the flicks. feck me, I've seen some tripe this year.

True true, but I think Shawshank manages to do what they try to do, in what they try to portray -in a stylistic and consistent way. The Green Mile misses more because of the spoonfeeding and completely weird decisions. Shawshank must also be one of the most safest films ever done, so I don't know whether that goes in favour of The Green Mile or not.

Safe to say is that I like neither of them and am not going to sacrifice any more thought on the subject.

Well, the only thing TGM has in its favour is the characters aren't straight out of a 'how to make a prison movie' manual. But yeah, SS is probably the better film. . .and indeed it's safe.

The A Team

Was ready to turn this shite off after the first 20 minutes but it gradually won me over due to the direction and the performances.

Carnahan kept it moving along at a fair pace (if you've seen Narc then you'll know he has it in him) and everyone involved seemed to be enjoying themselves so I found it hard to really hate it.

Naturally it was cheesy and as by the numbers as possible but certainly watchable if you want to turn the brain off for an hour and a half.

Surprisingly better than I expected, especially after such a shit start.

clear_eyes_triple_action_lg.jpg

Was feeling all 'Al Pacino' this weekend so i decided to finally watch one of his higher rated films that i'd never got around to seeing

Serpico - 7/10

is a good solid film and Pacino is as magnetic as ever. however its nothing special imo. Read some reviews on Rotten Tomatos claiming Pacinos performance in this trumps his Michael Corleone - it doesn't. It was gritty, it was realistic and it captured the era it portrayed perfectly but the dialogue was a little wooden at times and dragged a little i felt. I understand its very much Pacinos movie but its a shame not to see any of the other characters fleshed out to any degree and it made the story a bit, dare i say, dull when it really shouldn't have been. good but not something i'll revisit over and over

have another unseen Pacino, The Merchant of Venice, to watch this week, i'm hopeful it'll impress me more than this

Fantastic Mr Fox - 6/10

6 sounds a little low now i've typed it but i didnt wanna score it the same as Serpico when its not as good but at the same time i really enjoyed it - so its a high 6

Anyways my son and i sat down to watch FMF on Saturday morning and i was a little sceptical. Having read the book umpteen times as a kid, and only just went through it again around 2 months ago when i read it to my son for the first time i was worried they'd butcher one of my all time favourite books. And they did, though not neccessarily in a bad way. To say it is loosely based on the book would be an understatement. It has most of the core characters in it but not all play the same roles and whilst the books storyline is in there too its been compressed, chopped and tarted up almost beyond recognition, but the film is better for it. The visual style is odd considering the pixar masterpieces of today but it adds a layer of charm which suits brings the best out of the surprising sharp script. Clooney is brilliant as Mr Fox and keeps the slightly OTT storyline from getting out of hand with his suave delivery and the sinister characters of the Farmers and Rat give it an almost adult edge at times

so yeah 6 sounds low but i'd recommend it, esp if like me you avoided it worried about it ruining the book - it doesn't do that at all

Tesis

If anyones seen 8MM then you’re familiar with the ‘Snuff film’ concept that this movie is based around. Anjela is a student who is writing her tesis on audiovisual violence, she asks her professor to acquire for her some disturbing material that she can use to inspire her writing. But the material he finds is worse than she thought possible – A real video of a young college girl tortured and killed, it turns out it was a student at her school and the film revolves around Anjela and her twisted friend Chema trying to track down the people that made the film.

It’s a gritty low budget thriller with some intense moments, definitely recommend it although it can be quite disturbing at times. 7/10

By the way if anyone like 8MM you probably will like this to, since it has a lot of the same elements sans Nicolas cage which is a good thing.

Thing about Serpico is (I think) that it's very very much of its time. It's dated and it's dull by todays standards, and nothing much, if anything seems to actually happen. It's a piece of its time that I think is wrongly remembered as seminal when others would simply say its dated....Back then of course, it was quite a bold movie.

Dog Day is the best non Godfather Pacino film of that era IMO...and still brilliant.

A-Team I actually quite liked oddly...it's complete tosh, but it wants to be complete tosh, and you can only judge it by that really. It's fun and irreverent, stays true to the tone of the TV series in a sort of modernised inflation type of a way, and the performances are all fairly sound for that type of thing....It's the kind of complete rubbish that you could happily watch over and over again on a hungover sunday afternoon. It never tries to be what Michael Mann's Miami Vice tried to be and is all the better for it.

I'm in a great film mood at the moment, averaging two films a day so I plan to make full use of it and get some film watching done.

In the last few days I've watched Metropolis, Breathless, Mulholland Drive, Y tu mama tambien, Waking Life & The 400 Blows. I don't think I've ever seen so many good movies in a row in such a short time.

There's not much I can say about each movie at the moment more than that I really liked them, except for the last one which was good but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other ones.

I'm in a great film mood at the moment, averaging two films a day so I plan to make full use of it and get some film watching done.

In the last few days I've watched Metropolis, Breathless, Mulholland Drive, Y tu mama tambien, Waking Life & The 400 Blows. I don't think I've ever seen so many good movies in a row in such a short time.

There's not much I can say about each movie at the moment more than that I really liked them, except for the last one which was good but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other ones.

I want some ratings, goddammit.

Don't give them to him. This is an intervention.

Metropolis - 9/10(fritz version), 7/10(anime)
Breathless - 6/10
Mulholland Drive - 10/10
Y tu mama tambien 7/10
Waking Life - not seen
The 400 Blows - 8/10

Theres some ratings for you.

In a legit response, I did watch something today, randomly...

Gridiron Gang - Cliché as shit, The Rock is ok......yeah pretty everything you need to know here. 4/10

Gridiron Gang - Cliché as shit, The Rock is ok......yeah pretty everything you need to know here. 4/10
I agree, The Rock's acting was the only thing worth watching in this movie, or in any of his movies. He needs to get a small role in a big movie or two, rather than be the main guy in shitty movies.

I'll give it a try. :lol:

Metropolis - Like I said earlier, a timeless classic - 9/10

Breathless - Really cool film that flows on so neatly, almost giving it that dreamlike quality. 7.5/10

Mulholland Drive - Great film. So vast, haunting and intriguing. Best noir film since Blade Runner? - 8/10

Y tu mama tambien - A fantastic road movie. Great human characters. 7.5/10

Waking Life - Some very deep, interesting philosophical discussions regarding dreams and other stuff. The animation fits the movie. - 7.5/10

The 400 Blows - Technically very good, but I was just not feeling it much for some reason. - 7/10

Salt: Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but that's probably because I already went in with really low expectations of seeing a mish mash of Angelina Jolie from Tomb Raider, Wanted, Mr and Mrs. Smith and every other movie she's done that involves her using a gun and beating up people. I liked it though, mindless, anti-physics fun. 7/10.

I'll give it a try. :lol:

Metropolis - Like I said earlier, a timeless classic - 9/10

Breathless - Really cool film that flows on so neatly, almost gives it that dreamlike quality. 7.5/10

Mulholland Drive - Great film. So vast, haunting and intriguing. Best noir film since Blade Runner? - 8/10

Y tu mama tambien - A fantastic road movie. Great human characters. 7.5/10

Waking Life - Some very deep, interesting philosophical discussions regarding dreams and other stuff. The animation fits the movie. - 7.5/10

The 400 Blows - Technically very good, but I was just not feeling it much for some reason. - 7/10

Yu tu mama tambien was a pleasant surprise for me. I just put it on by chance. . .and was hooked, although I think that was largely down to wanting to see that Spanish bird's breasts. Heh, there's nowt wrong with honesty. But yeah cracking movie.

And I prefer Truffuat's work over Goddard's. You ought to see Fahrenheit 451(Truffuat), I think it's a fantastic film. It's pretty accessible and all - well, I enjoyed it despite not being a fan.

Oh and Waking Life, yeah I liked it too. I think Linklater's films are a bit pretentious but check out Tape and A Scanner Darkly they're a decent enough watch.

And I prefer Truffaut's work over Goddard's. You ought to see Fahrenheit 451(Truffaut), I think it's a fantastic film. It's pretty accessible and all - well, I enjoyed it despite being a fan.
Yeah, I don't like Goddard that much, I saw 'Breathless' in the cinema last year and it had dated badly unlike say Melville's 'Le Samourai' which was still effortlessly cool. F451 is great.

Yeah, I don't like Goddard that much, I saw 'Breathless' in the cinema last year and it had dated badly unlike say Melville's 'Le Samourai' which was still effortlessly cool. F451 is great.

Yes. And I barely got through Alphaville. I think Breathless is very stylish. . .but I dunno, I just didn't enjoy it.

I might actually watch F451 again this week.

Yu tu mama tambien was a pleasant surprise for me. I just put it on by chance. . .and was hooked, although I think that was largely down to wanting to see that Spanish bird's breasts. Heh, there's nowt wrong with honesty. But yeah cracking movie.

And I prefer Truffuat's work over Goddard's. You ought to see Fahrenheit 451(Truffuat), I think it's a fantastic film. It's pretty accessible and all - well, I enjoyed it despite not being a fan.

Oh and Waking Life, yeah I liked it too. I think Linklater's films are a bit pretentious but check out Tape and A Scanner Darkly they're a decent enough watch.

I intend to watch more French films from that period. I'm about to watch a film called Last Year at Marienbad, made by the guy who did Hiroshima mon amour and that Holocaust movie.

Yeah, the ones I've seen have been a bit up their own asses at times, but there's not many deep films like Waking Life around though.

Thing about Serpico is (I think) that it's very very much of its time. It's dated and it's dull by todays standards, and nothing much, if anything seems to actually happen. It's a piece of its time that I think is wrongly remembered as seminal when others would simply say its dated....Back then of course, it was quite a bold movie.

Dog Day is the best non Godfather Pacino film of that era IMO...and still brilliant.

i'd agree about Serpico, like i said it captured the era perfectly but whereas Taxi Driver for instance captured the 70s equally well that was also filled with characters rich with personality. Serpico, Pacino aside, had none of that

Dog Day is on my list for the week but the missus has me watching Leap Year tonight :( - all give you all the review for that now 0/10 whiny bitch rom com nonsense

I've always preferred Godard over Truffaut.