Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Stranger Than Fiction A bit of a rarity in the Will Ferrel isn't utterly shit. Not that his acting is a patch on most of the rest of the cast but he is OK. In the end the plot sort of makes sense but is still a bit silly. However the acting is generally very good and emma Thompson steals the film. 7/10

Shrek The Third If you didn't know the characters and have some affection for them this would be even worse. Shit direction and plot make it a chore for parents and just about good enough for kids under 10. 4/10

Babel Nowhere near as crap as you may have heard. Lovely cinematography and some good acting even if in the end you end up saying "So what?". 6.5/10

Blade Runner

But just the director's cut, the forced happy ending of the original version kills off the most important subject of the movie

2001, Stalker, Brazil, Star Wars(apart from I and II, but the rest four is awesome), Metropolis.

Dune is fun too,

I've just downloaded Sunshine, will watch that tommorrow.

I've got the directors cut(Blade Runner). Cracking film. I've also got Stalker. . . I just couldn't get into it, which pissed me off. Fantastic cinematography, but the film didn't do much for me, overall. And I've got others you've mentioned bar Metropolis. Any foreign sci films then? what about anime?

I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine. I think it comes down to taste, sometimes, surreal films aren't to everyone's liking. I also loved Being John Malkovich and Science of Sleep, which was written and directed by Michel Gondry, who co wrote Eternal Sunshine with Kaufman. That said, I disliked Adaptation(Screenplay - Kaufman).

I've seen four Kaufman movies - Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Being John Malkovich. I loved all but Confessions which was ok.

Anime doesn't work for me, so I cant comment on that.

Don't know a lot foreign sci-fis(it's expensive). Only the 5th element springs to mind, but that's lame.

Some 50s sci-fis are pretty amusing, like War of the Worlds.

Some fun, but not at all great sci-fis, if you like 80s movies in a way are: Tron, Last Starfighter and War Games.

Some find Starship Troopers a great movie, I don't.

And then there are films like the Cube and early Cronenberg movies where you can argue whether it's a horror or a sci-fi flick.

Cronenberg's Existenz is pretty good, too, and that's sci-fi, undoubtedly.

Saw Ocean's 13 yesterday. Better than the second one but not as good as the first one. Not as many ridiculous twists as the second one but didn't have the bang ending of the first or the smart dialogue. And why Ellen Barkin?

Also saw Grindhouse finally. Was a horrible print and that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I would I think. Planet Terror was simple enough but Death Proof was awesome. Except for that 5 minute segment where the girls are sitting and talking about nothing.

Saw Ocean's 13 yesterday. Better than the second one but not as good as the first one. Not as many ridiculous twists as the second one but didn't have the bang ending of the first or the smart dialogue. And why Ellen Barkin?

Also saw Grindhouse finally. Was a horrible print and that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I would I think. Planet Terror was simple enough but Death Proof was awesome. Except for that 5 minute segment where the girls are sitting and talking about nothing.

That's not a bad print, that was done on purpose to recapture the spirit og the 70s C-movies.

Eleven was a remake, wasn't it? 12 was utter bollocks. My mate said 13 wasn't all that good

The only way I can see Grindhouse is by downloading it. The chances of releasing Tarantino movies (bar Kill Bill) is next to none in here

Anyways, I didn't enjoy Being John Malkovich or Confessions Of a Dangerous Mind

Next on my list of opinions is The Celebration AKA Festen. Anyone?

Anime doesn't work for me, so I cant comment on that.

Don't know a lot foreign sci-fis(it's expensive). Only the 5th element springs to mind, but that's lame.

Some 50s sci-fis are pretty amusing, like War of the Worlds.

Some fun, but not at all great sci-fis, if you like 80s movies in a way are: Tron, Last Starfighter and War Games.

Some find Starship Troopers a great movie, I don't.

And then there are films like the Cube and early Cronenberg movies where you can argue whether it's a horror or a sci-fi flick.

Cronenberg's Existenz is pretty good, too, and that's sci-fi, undoubtedly.

Existenz was god-awful. And I loved Starship Troopers. I think I've actually seen most of them, not many spring to mind.

I've seen four Kaufman movies - Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Being John Malkovich. I loved all but Confessions which was ok.

I thought Adaptation was really tedious and pointless. Funny how these things work. Not seen Confessions, but I think I should.

Eleven was a remake, wasn't it? 12 was utter bollocks. My mate said 13 wasn't all that good

The only way I can see Grindhouse is by downloading it. The chances of releasing Tarantino movies (bar Kill Bill) is next to none in here

Anyways, I didn't enjoy Being John Malkovich or Confessions Of a Dangerous Mind

Next on my list of opinions is The Celebration AKA Festen. Anyone?

Festen is very good. Some scenes are really intense and cringe inducing because of the subject matter.

Just saw Ghost Rider. Not a great film but not as shit as everyone said it would be. Was annoyingly pathetic and cheesy at times but ok enough.

But just the director's cut, the forced happy ending of the original version kills off the most important subject of the movie

I actually like both versions in differnt ways. The Sam Spade voiceover of the original was actually quite good because Harrison Ford hammed it up on purpose. I don't think that you can get the original any more :(

Yes please. I have the Directors Cut. What zone? Although it probably doesn't matter because my player is multizone I think. Let me know how to get the $ to you by PM. :)

The Directors Cut is plainly a much better film but the original is an intrinsic part of my teens so I have a great affection for it. Even better was the fact that when I saw it I have never even heard of it and I only went to see it because other cinemas were full. What a pleasant surprise it was.

Yes please. I have the Directors Cut. What zone? Although it probably doesn't matter because my player is multizone I think. Let me know how to get the $ to you by PM. :)

Region 2. I have seen it in the local equivalent of Virgin Megastore, for about 5 quids.

Though it have to wait till tommorrow, I can't go shopping with a massive hangover, can I?

Just watched Jarhead. I personally disliked it and was quite tedious for me at times, I know its not a typical war film but there was way too many questions unanswered and even though the ending was ok. I was glad the film was just ending.

This is England was pretty good, quite liked it.

Though doesn't compare to American History X for me personally.

Just watched The United States of Leland. Was quite dull for about an hour or so, some kid kills a retarded kid for what seemed like no reason. Don Cheadle and Kevin Spacey were in it. But gotta say the last half an hour was pretty good and the Ryan Gosling guy wasn't that bad. Want to see the film Fracture he was in with Anthony Hopkins. There were also parts of the Leland character that I could see myself having similarities to.