Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Seven Beauties 8/10

One of the best holocaust films I've seen. Wonderful performance by Giannini.

Escape from New York - 8/10

I must have seen it or at least parts of it on cable when i was a kid, but back then I didn't understand nor particularly enjoyed cyberpunk. For a movie that was made over 25 years ago it's still pretty damn good. Awesome ending.

State Of Grace 8/10 , this is a film made about the Irish-American Mafia in Hells Kitchen in 1990, no-one i know has seen it, but its bloody brilliant, the Departed steals a few ideas off it too, great cast too,
Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Ed Harris
John C.Reilly

give it a go sometime

Nah, not really. I gave away my DK DVD. Might get one on Blu-Ray. I have no idea how much of an improvement blu ray is, though.

Better sound quality as well? I've got a blu ray player on my new laptop.

Feel like getting SF 4 and all.

Watched loads of films this weekend, but the 2 noteable ones were;

In The Mood For Love - 9/10

Second Kar Wai Wong film Ive seen, definitely the best - again not normally a film on paper I would've even considered, slow love story, but the way its shot, the soundtrack & the acting are all 1st class. Thanks, Spoony.

Withnail & I - 9/10

By far the funniest film I have seen for a long time, possibly ever - cant remember where I seen this recommended, but so glad I watched it. Thought I would hate Richard E. Grant for as long as I lived, but he was simply great in this flick.

So 2 x 9/10 films this weekend, very pleased.

Watched loads of films this weekend, but the 2 noteable ones were;

In The Mood For Love - 9/10

Second Kar Wai Wong film Ive seen, definitely the best - again not normally a film on paper I would've even considered, slow love story, but the way its shot, the soundtrack & the acting are all 1st class. Thanks, Spoony.

Withnail & I - 9/10

By far the funniest film I have seen for a long time, possibly ever - cant remember where I seen this recommended, but so glad I watched it. Thought I would hate Richard E. Grant for as long as I lived, but he was simply great in this flick.

So 2 x 9/10 films this weekend, very pleased.

Withnail is one of the best British movies ever.

Knocked up

Really enjoyed Superbad and Pineapple express so had high expectations of this one, but was bitterly disappointed. Whole film was a depressing outlook on family life and parenting and the only funny scenes came from the minor characters.

5/10

Walk The Line 8/10

Really good biopic about Johnny Cash, although I thought Jerry Lee Lewis sort of stole the handful of scenes he was in. Great stuff from Reese Witherspoon though, deserved her Oscar.

Watched Role Models the other night, thought it was a very funny movie, not a classic by all means but some very sharp and witty dialogue from Paul Rudd in particular and if you can put up with Mr Marmite, Sean William Scott for an hour and a bit then you will probably like this.

Wages of Fear - 8/10

Started off slow, and I was unsure whether I would like it. But as the plot developed, it turned out to be a pretty gripping film and the explosions are pretty impressive for such an old film. Quite enjoyable overall.

Wages of Fear - 8/10

Started off slow, and I was unsure whether I would like it. But as the plot developed, it turned out to be a pretty gripping film and the explosions are pretty impressive for such an old film. Quite enjoyable overall.

Understatement! Wages is a 10.5/10.

The Machinist

9/10 Enjoyed every bit of it. After a few seconds of googling this movie seems to be criminally underrated in terms of awards. Bale is a monster.

Yes Man 7/10

Better than I expected. Great to see Jim Carrey back, and Zooey Deschanel plays one of her best characters to date. She's adorable.

The International

6/10 - Good pace, but not deep enough of a plot to make it work; Decent

The Yards 7/10

Fabulous cast and cinematography. Very atmospheric and said to be the only film of his own that Joaquin Phoenix actually enjoys watching. Plot was a little odd but overall well worth a watch.

EDIT: Forogt to add that it contains Charlize Theron's boobies.