Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Just got out of Alien Romulus. I thought it was good, definitely the best Alien film since Aliens. It captured the dingy, post-industrial aesthetic of those first two films, as well as the threat and scariness of the xenomorph. Cailee Spaeny was heroine you could root for, but the best performance (performances?) was probably David Jonsson.

There were a couple of issues though. The return of a certain character’s likeness via CGI was a bit unnecessary. And the callback line from a previous movie was mega cringe. But both of those were minor irks really and didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the film.

Boyhood
A boring, wannabe art film. The supposed main character felt like a side character I couldn't care less about.

Also many of the dialogs felt so acted and pre-scripted, just one liners, wowsers and witty catchphrases.

With that said I lolled at the dude calling Mason a "fecking penis wrinkle".

2/10

Longlegs - effective enough but doesn't leave much of a lasting impression, mostly because of the 3rd act. 6.5/10

I’m watching Prometheus again and I am not having any of this post-Romulus revisionism nonsense, this film is still bad and dumb. But it at least looks prettier than Covenant
The only decent thing that came out of Prometheus was the documentary.

Boyhood
A boring, wannabe art film. The supposed main character felt like a side character I couldn't care less about.

Also many of the dialogs felt so acted and pre-scripted, just one liners, wowsers and witty catchphrases.

With that said I lolled at the dude calling Mason a "fecking penis wrinkle".

2/10
yeah, Boyhood was strange. A fascinating concept, like the Seven Up (Michael Apted) works, but it ended up playing out like someone's home movie - but with Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette appearing every once in a while. It was unsettling to watch that kid age, following him around for 11 years, but it ended up being underwhelming. I think I was expecting more, despite not really being a Linklater fan.

Hope you're all right!

Yeah I’m good - went in for a couple of days as I had Covid pretty bad. Ended up catching some infection called C-Diff which is like a hospital bug and they have isolated me!

Got my iPad with Amazon Prime / Netflix etc so just going to chill and watch a few films.

Yeah I’m good - went in for a couple of days as I had Covid pretty bad. Ended up catching some infection called C-Diff which is like a hospital bug and they have isolated me!

Got my iPad with Amazon Prime / Netflix etc so just going to chill and watch a few films.
May I suggest Twisters.

Incoming Prometheus defence
Every single person is the worst example of their job. The geologist who works the mapping tech gets immediately lost in a cave (when the other crew just seem to walk straight out when they need to)
I think it’s because the other crew have the robot guy David. For whatever reason Michael Fassbender is the ultimate form of google maps and google translate.
The expedition’s co-runner becomes inconsolably depressed after merely finding the first example of alien life and a re-animated head on their first day.
Tbf it’s not like they are finding a bunch of Clangers. The alien life along with the re-animated head is evidence of God. Yet we also see video evidence of this God getting decapitated due to tripping on his own laces.

The Holloway character is slowly realising he wasn’t create for any unique reason All it took was some black goo and DNA. He is coming to understand he is far more similar to the David. I get why his reaction isn’t exactly positive.
The captain is more concerned with trying to bang his boss than with the two members of his crew lost in an alien structure… but then this is all partly excusable by the fact none of these people apparently even knew what the mission was until they were 2 years in and already there!
His boss is Charlize Theron. Tbh we are talking about a group of people who have decided to take a private sector job funded by a 110 year Elon Musk. It’s the OceanGate scandal in space.

Imo the only really dumb scene is the two crew members and alien cobra although it does lead to some cool deaths. Plus in the original Alien both Ripley and Brett(Harry Dean Stanton)correctly risk their own lives to save a cat.

The Crew ship sacrifice at the end is also very undercooked but does work in the overall story as a Jesus sacrifice metaphor.

Ultimately it’s a $130 million space horror film about how giving fire to humans was a mistake. God hates his own creation which has now woken him up mid nap. Its pretty great.

I thought roughly the same of Inception, Interstellar, and Tenet: the story's nonsense and conceptually way too full of itself, but the film as it unfolds is kinda entertaining - but ultimately too long and succombs under its own misplaced sense of gravitas. I was quite disappointed with Oppenheimer as well. For me, it seems like Nolan would need to start writing with someone that can sharpen his ideas, cause he seems unable to focus properly and discard the unnecessary.

But he wins prizes and has huge audiences, so I know im basically disagreeing with everyone.
While I certainly can see why someone would think these films are conceptually to full of themselves, I think the ambition in all these films is something great in mainstream cinema. You need more filmmakers to make films which challenge the broader audiences. I love Interstellar and Inception, both masterpieces, and Tenet, despite being flawed in many ways, is still a very good action film for me (some of the action sequences absolutely fecking incredible). Oppenheimer is a movie I could do without, although I did greatly enjoy it when I saw it in the cinema.

Incoming Prometheus defence

I think it’s because the other crew have the robot guy David. For whatever reason Michael Fassbender is the ultimate form of google maps and google translate.

Tbf it’s not like they are finding a bunch of Clangers. The alien life along with the re-animated head is evidence of God. Yet we also see video evidence of this God getting decapitated due to tripping on his own laces.

The Holloway character is slowly realising he wasn’t create for any unique reason All it took was some black goo and DNA. He is coming to understand he is far more similar to the David. I get why his reaction isn’t exactly positive.

His boss is Charlize Theron. Tbh we are talking about a group of people who have decided to take a private sector job funded by a 110 year Elon Musk. It’s the OceanGate scandal in space.

Imo the only really dumb scene is the two crew members and alien cobra although it does lead to some cool deaths. Plus in the original Alien both Ripley and Brett(Harry Dean Stanton)correctly risk their own lives to save a cat.

The Crew ship sacrifice at the end is also very undercooked but does work in the overall story as a Jesus sacrifice metaphor.

Ultimately it’s a $130 million space horror film about how giving fire to humans was a mistake. God hates his own creation which has now woken him up mid nap. Its pretty great.

I refer you to my original post

I’m watching Prometheus again and I am not having any of this post-Romulus revisionism nonsense, this film is still bad and dumb. But it at least looks prettier than Covenant

I agree that Interstellar was a great film. Also agree that Prometheus was absolute ass. Terrible film with so called scientists making the worst decisions. Stupid fecks.

I agree that Interstellar was a great film. Also agree that Prometheus was absolute ass. Terrible film with so called scientists making the worst decisions. Stupid fecks.
Let's be honest, they aren't that much smarter in Interstellar.

I really liked both Promotheus and Covenant. They looked pretty and thats probably enough for me. David is a great villain too
Interstellar too. Dumb but pretty and probably worth watching just for Mat Damon. I like the soundtrack.

I refer you to my original post

ridleyscott.gif

I can see the similarity between Prometheus and Interstellar. Both quite nice to look at but ultimately overblown and with a really silly ending. Interstellar did make me cry though. So there’s that. But that was all part of a midlife existential crisis about aging and life passing by too quickly. I was emotionally bomb proof when I watched Prometheus.

I can see the similarity between Prometheus and Interstellar. Both quite nice to look at but ultimately overblown and with a really silly ending. Interstellar did make me cry though. So there’s that. But that was all part of a midlife existential crisis about aging and life passing by too quickly. I was emotionally bomb proof when I watched Prometheus.
That is Nolan target audience. It’s dad cinema for better and worse.

The only really dumb thing about Interstellar is the final scene. Which is incredibly dumb. Prometheus is just riddled with stupidity at a completely different level.

I thought roughly the same of Inception, Interstellar, and Tenet: the story's nonsense and conceptually way too full of itself, but the film as it unfolds is kinda entertaining - but ultimately too long and succombs under its own misplaced sense of gravitas. I was quite disappointed with Oppenheimer as well. For me, it seems like Nolan would need to start writing with someone that can sharpen his ideas, cause he seems unable to focus properly and discard the unnecessary.

But he wins prizes and has huge audiences, so I know im basically disagreeing with everyone.
He is a weird director for me. Momento was great if very hard work to watch, I enjoyed Insomnia at the time but haven't watched it again. The Batman stuff was decent superhero nonsense, The Prestige was Ok and meh simultaneously, Inception wasn't bad, primarily for actually bringing all the utter nonsense throughout the film to a more or less understandable ending. Interstellar I really disliked (physics nonsense amongst other reasons) and Dunkirk was just boring, and a terrible script that missed much of the drama of the small boat flotilla. Tenet was Okish but utterly forgettable and, to my surprise, Oppenheimer was a stunningly good film.

He is a weird director for me. Momento was great if very hard work to watch, I enjoyed Insomnia at the time but haven't watched it again. The Batman stuff was decent superhero nonsense, The Prestige was Ok and meh simultaneously, Inception wasn't bad, primarily for actually bringing all the utter nonsense throughout the film to a more or less understandable ending. Interstellar I really disliked (physics nonsense amongst other reasons) and Dunkirk was just boring, and a terrible script that missed much of the drama of the small boat flotilla. Tenet was Okish but utterly forgettable and, to my surprise, Oppenheimer was a stunningly good film.
You liked Oppenheimer that much? I thought it definitely had many strengths, but it was just an hour too long - the strongest instance yet of Nolan wanting to cram every bit of narrative material he had into a film that would have been much better off with a narrower focus.

Every single person is the worst example of their job. The geologist who works the mapping tech gets immediately lost in a cave (when the other crew just seem to walk straight out when they need to) the biologist is terrified of dead bodies but wants to pet the dick snake in the creepy goo room. The expedition’s co-runner becomes inconsolably depressed after merely finding the first example of alien life and a re-animated head on their first day. The captain is more concerned with trying to bang his boss than with the two members of his crew lost in an alien structure… but then this is all partly excusable by the fact none of these people apparently even knew what the mission was until they were 2 years in and already there!

Scott’s a good enough director to make it watchable by my god is the script bad. I’m looking forward to the enthusiastic cinephile reappraisal of Shane Black’s The Predator after the next one is merely competent.
If only there was a way to escape? Other than running sideways, which is obviously a silly idea.

6556647497_7b3c1e0cc1_b.jpg

You liked Oppenheimer that much? I thought it definitely had many strengths, but it was just an hour too long - the strongest instance yet of Nolan wanting to cram every bit of narrative material he had into a film that would have been much better off with a narrower focus.
Loved it. The huge run time flew past for me (and I generally get annoyed at unnecessarily long films).

Nolan-o-rama. Scores out of 10 for his features:

Following 7 (Good first feature, low budget, good story, nothing fancy)
Memento 8 (Big leap forward in difficulty level, done very well)
Insomnia 5 (The original is just so much better. Why remake this particular film?)
Batman Begins 8 (Not a superhero fan but thought this was one of the better or best ones)
The Prestige 6 (looks great, great performances, story and reveal is silly horseshit unworthy of even M Night)
The Dark Knight 6 (I liked Gary Oldman, that's about it. This is the Heath Ledger one, I just never bought into the Heath Ledger hype, this performance wasn't jaw-dropping for me.)
Inception 9 (complicated look, difficult story, stuck the landing. Engrossing.)
The Dark Knight Rises 5 (I liked Anne Hathaway, but a lightweight and forgettable entry)
Interstellar 10 (Loved it. Innovative, story had heart, redemptive arc, great visuals, cool robots)
Dunkirk 4 (What the feck was this? How can you make this movie about that event? It was like that Pearl Harbor movie with Josh Hartnett similarly disrespectful of an historical moment that should have been heartbreaking)
Tenet 2 (A pile of shit with a couple nice VFX scenes, convoluted nonsensical story, wooden acting, too long)
Oppenheimer 9 (complex, gripping, visually immaculate, good story, a proper Best Picture, but once is enough. One of those weird examples where you think "that was great" but I didn't enjoy it the way I did Interstellar)

Last edited:
I rewatched District 9 over the weekend as the wife had never seen it (despite being South African - which is just mad to me) - what a film, still holds up incredibly well.

The VFX for a movie that cost $30million to make are insane.

Taken 3 was on last night. I've seen the first two, so knew what to expect going into this. It's a real 'late at night, switch your brain off, casual watching' type of film, but...oh my word, how utterly brainless is this film? The action sequences are also horribly filmed. Hundreds of jump cuts that must last for milliseconds, if that. Really, really amateurish cutting and editing, like a student's first film project. There's no joy to it. The action sequences for this sort of film are meant to be the highlights, but it was arguably the weaker elements in this one. Really strange. The wife gave up watching as she said it was too annoying to watch. Don't blame her.

The Predator
Oof. How on earth do you make the worst Predator movie? Everyone seems to be trying and everyone gets into the conversation. (Prey was a delight of course)

Predator gets supersized. Absolute unit. His target? A 10 year old autistic kid.

I didn’t know that this movie even existed as of yesterday morning. My life was better.

2/10 - One for Olivia Munn. The other for disappearing reappearing Predator dogs.

The Predator
Oof. How on earth do you make the worst Predator movie? Everyone seems to be trying and everyone gets into the conversation. (Prey was a delight of course)

Predator gets supersized. Absolute unit. His target? A 10 year old autistic kid.

I didn’t know that this movie even existed as of yesterday morning. My life was better.

2/10 - One for Olivia Munn. The other for disappearing reappearing Predator dogs.
Hollywood executive: "Disappearing and reappearing Predator dogs, you say? Come in, my boy, have a seat."