Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Why in Alien movies do characters

die off screen in anticlimactic fashion? You have Newt and Hicks dying in Alien 3, Shaw being killed off screen in Covenant and the legendary original Alien, nicknamed 'Big chap' ( :lol: ) surviving in space in this new film, killing another space crew off screen, before being dispatched himself. Would like to have seen another film of that alien run riot but it wasn't to be
Wait, did I read that right? The Xeno in this film is the one that Ripley ejected into space from the original movie?

Leave the World Behind.

Yea this is really good. 4.5/5 for me. Maybe some of their reactions are off in how they deal with the crisis. But watched it all in one go.

Wait, did I read that right? The Xeno in this film is the one that Ripley ejected into space from the original movie?
yeah, it got brought aboard the Romulus station, was experimented on and got its DNA taken but then got free and killed most of the crew before being captured and killed. I would have been very happy to watch a film just with that one Alien in it because i always thought that was the best Xeno.

Leave the World Behind.

Yea this is really good. 4.5/5 for me. Maybe some of their reactions are off in how they deal with the crisis. But watched it all in one go.
This was filmed not far from where I live. I'm out there almost every weekend. It's very peaceful and chill and they captured the vibe perfectly.

This was filmed not far from where I live. I'm out there almost every weekend. It's very peaceful and chill and they captured the vibe perfectly.
Didn't feel too peaceful and chill to be honest. I guess it would be nice normally. It was a good movie, stuck with me longer than most new releases.

Didn't feel too peaceful and chill to be honest. I guess it would be nice normally. It was a good movie, stuck with me longer than most new releases.
Yea i was thinking about it in bed last night. Really good film.

Alain Delon passed away over the weekend. I recently watched "Le Samouraï" which was an excellent French noir film by Melville, in which Delon was perfect. There's a few others of his I want to jump into, La Piscine, Le Cercle Rouge, Le Guépard, Plein Soleil, Rocco et ses frères... I guess this is as good a time as any.

He was ridiculously handsome as a young man. Like ridiculously.

Alain Delon passed away over the weekend. I recently watched "Le Samouraï" which was an excellent French noir film by Melville, in which Delon was perfect. There's a few others of his I want to jump into, La Piscine, Le Cercle Rouge, Le Guépard, Plein Soleil, Rocco et ses frères... I guess this is as good a time as any.

LE CERCLE ROUGE is magnificent. PLEIN SOLEIL proves conclusively there has been no better Tom Ripley since.

Alien Romulus
Commodified fantasy takes no risks: it invents nothing, but imitates and trivializes. It proceeds by depriving the old stories of their intellectual and ethical complexity, turning their truth-telling to sentimental platitude. heroes brandish their swords, lasers, wands, as mechanically as combine harvesters, reaping profits. Profoundly disturbing moral choices are sanitized, made cute, made safe. The passionately conceived ideas of the great story-tellers are copied, stereotyped, reduced to toys, molded in bright-colored plastic, advertised, sold, broken, junked, replaceable, interchangeable.- Ursula K. Le Guin

alien-romulus-popcorn-bucket-1721250971487.png

0/10

Arcadian

Nicolas Cage is a dad to two teenage sons in an end of the world / don't get stuck out at night because there's some hideous monsters who'll have you for breakfast type scenario. Spoilers/Not Spoilers - one of them gets stuck outside and then the film happens. It's erm ok I guess? Cage is very understated, the scenery is beautiful and the creature design is very original so worth watching for that but there's too much unnecessary shaky cam and a lot of questions remain unanswered by the end of it. I thought they were going down the 'I Am Legend' route at one point but it didn't have that depth so if you treat it as 90mins of monster related tension in the vein of 'A Quiet Place' you won't be disappointed.

RIDICULOUSLY good looking.

He was a bit of a twat though apparently, constantly spoke about himself in the third person and wasn't a very nice person to work with. He was, however, quite self aware that he was a twat. Not sure that makes it any better.

But insane charisma and screen presence.

RIDICULOUSLY good looking.

He was a bit of a twat though apparently, constantly spoke about himself in the third person and wasn't a very nice person to work with. He was, however, quite self aware that he was a twat. Not sure that makes it any better.

But insane charisma and screen presence.

I just love the photo.

If those events happened 50 years later that would be a smartphone in Jagger’s hands.

I think I asked this before but I'm trying to find this movie I saw as a kid:
• a tanker ship rescues a man from sea
• turns out he is some kind of a monster or a shapeshifter
• he wipes out the whole crew and sinks the ship and goes back into the sea and waits for the next ship to rescue him
• movie is pre 1990 IIRC, probably late 70's or early 80's

Saw it in France on a holiday, not sure if it was really French or just dubbed.

Unlikely but it might be "Satan's Triangle" - a made for tv American movie

Not an exact match but has the rescue, the shape shifting element and the ending. No tanker though. Takes place mostly on a yacht. Made in 1975. Full movie is available on YouTube:

A fair few film makers rate L' Atalante - just don't get it myself. Think it's more to do with Vigo's untimely death and unreached potential than the quality of the actual film. Only thing I found interesting was the character of Pere Jules. Should've made a movie about him. What's strange, though, is that I remember an awful lot more of the sequences in this film than many that I've enjoyed much more. I guess that's something.

Two stars for entertainment, Zero for Conduct.

Edit: Poor Things looks like it might be pretty good.

Last edited:
Tried my best to avoid spoilers for Alien: Romulus, despite the internet doing all it can to infiltrate my social media feeds with trailers, sponsored posts, reviews, little snippets, and comments from fans.

My wife said that she was in the 7 or 7.5 out of 10 camp with it. I would have to agree that this is roughly where I stand with it, too. It's good, parts of which are great, parts of which probably get in the way of it being great. I'm going to put my whole impressions in the spoiler tags as I can't really talk about how I feel about the film without talking about those bits.

Ridley Scott needs to stay the feck away from this series now. He has already had a bash at two films with throwing the whole engineers/black goo/Prometheus/Covenant shit and it hasn't taken off. The fans don't want it. He's done it again with ramming it down our throats and it's contaminated this film, too. The parts of this film that I disliked the most are all of the Prometheus/Covenant related bits.

I really enjoyed the build-up and first half of this film. Great world building. Would happily watch a film set on that colony world. I liked the interplay between the characters and the role of Andy being the outsider of the group. Also liked his relationship and bond with Rain and how this worked throughout the film. It added weight to both of their characters, something that I just didn't really feel with the prequel movies' crews.

There's a good tension in that whole sequence from arriving on the ship up past the part of the full adult xenomorph reveal. That's a highlight of the film for me. Really enjoyed that segment in the facehugger propagation room and how this played out. I will say that this film has made the facehuggers scary again and it was generally tense whenever they were on screen. The facehugger chase sequence was pretty cool. I loved the chestbuster sequence and it is probably the second best in the entire franchise, after the original for me. I REALLY like that we saw the cocoon stage where the alien grows from an infant into an adult and that whole reveal was pretty cool to watch. In fact, this whole section of the film was pretty chaotic for all of the right reasons and it had me gripped.

I personally didn't mind the Ian Holm/Rook cameo/character. My wife made a point of saying to me afterwards that he's "basically just like an iPhone model, so it makes sense that there would be more like him". Which...is something that makes a lot of sense to me. It didn't bother me too much and I just saw it as another part of the world building, along with the design of the ships, corridor/door designs, etc. I liked his role in the film and how it corrupted the Andy character and his motives.

I rolled my eyes at that sequence in the lab talking about making perfect humans, Prometheus references, blah blah. I have to say that I'm disappointed that this was shoe-horned in and, once it was there, I knew it would appear in some hybrid form at the end. I'm just going to say that I liked the tension for the last 5 minutes, but I disliked the whole hybrid in itself and didn't like the creature design and didn't like the resemblance to the engineers in Prometheus. I...thought it was quite well known that the newborn in Alien: Resurrection was hated, so I'm unsure of why the director/producers thought to go down this route again.

I would have preferred had the film kept it to just the one alien throughout, but then, my wife again made the point of saying that something would have to happen to all those crew members on the ship, and the facehuggers are there, so...it stands to reason there would be more than one xenomorph. I LOVE Aliens...but I can also fully get on board with the idea that James Cameron took the tension and scary-factor out of the creature by making them so easily disposed of with the pulse rifles.

I've seen talk online about references and 'call backs' to previous films. I'm generally not a fan of this and did think certain lines in this film were unnecessary. The film didn't need them. I would say that the would had enough strength in the first half with its world building, facehugger chase sequences, alien cocoon, and characters in the first half, and that the director should have stuck with this conviction until the end.

In short, very strong first half for me, ok second, meh final 10 minutes. I am not accepting that this is better than Alien 3 as the third best film in the franchise, but it is comfortably better than Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, and Covenant. Therefore, I liked most of it, but will have to watch it again just to see how much the bad parts annoy me. Alien: Isolation was probably the best Alien related thing we've had in about 30 years anyway.

The first hour after his death was announced film twitter was filled with everyone talking about his great movies and beautiful face. Then people starting seeing how much of a massive right wing bellend he which resulted in counter posting other less problematic beautiful actors in response.
Can't believe you went to see it. I can only assume masochism.
Pretty much. Going to watch an Alien film in 2024 is like taking part in a face hugger scene.

Everyone says the end result will be bad and I know the experience will be awful and yet I still to proceed forward looking straight down into the alien egg knowingly waiting for it to ruin my day.

A fair few film makers rate L' Atalante - just don't get it myself. Think it's more to do with Vigo's untimely death and unreached potential than the quality of the actual film.
Definitely Vigo struggling to make it while ill plays a part. Along with it getting panned on
release and now is seen as a classic. It’s a film makers film.

Edit: Poor Things looks like it might be pretty good.
It’s very hit and seem with people. Tbh it was my best film of last year. It’s very good.

The first hour after his death was announced film twitter was filled with everyone talking about his great movies and beautiful face. Then people starting seeing how much of a massive right wing bellend he which resulted in counter posting other less problematic beautiful actors in response.
But he's the MOST BEAUTIFUL of them all. Notwithstanding his politics and twatness.

Tried my best to avoid spoilers for Alien: Romulus, despite the internet doing all it can to infiltrate my social media feeds with trailers, sponsored posts, reviews, little snippets, and comments from fans.

My wife said that she was in the 7 or 7.5 out of 10 camp with it. I would have to agree that this is roughly where I stand with it, too. It's good, parts of which are great, parts of which probably get in the way of it being great. I'm going to put my whole impressions in the spoiler tags as I can't really talk about how I feel about the film without talking about those bits.

Ridley Scott needs to stay the feck away from this series now. He has already had a bash at two films with throwing the whole engineers/black goo/Prometheus/Covenant shit and it hasn't taken off. The fans don't want it. He's done it again with ramming it down our throats and it's contaminated this film, too. The parts of this film that I disliked the most are all of the Prometheus/Covenant related bits.

I really enjoyed the build-up and first half of this film. Great world building. Would happily watch a film set on that colony world. I liked the interplay between the characters and the role of Andy being the outsider of the group. Also liked his relationship and bond with Rain and how this worked throughout the film. It added weight to both of their characters, something that I just didn't really feel with the prequel movies' crews.

There's a good tension in that whole sequence from arriving on the ship up past the part of the full adult xenomorph reveal. That's a highlight of the film for me. Really enjoyed that segment in the facehugger propagation room and how this played out. I will say that this film has made the facehuggers scary again and it was generally tense whenever they were on screen. The facehugger chase sequence was pretty cool. I loved the chestbuster sequence and it is probably the second best in the entire franchise, after the original for me. I REALLY like that we saw the cocoon stage where the alien grows from an infant into an adult and that whole reveal was pretty cool to watch. In fact, this whole section of the film was pretty chaotic for all of the right reasons and it had me gripped.

I personally didn't mind the Ian Holm/Rook cameo/character. My wife made a point of saying to me afterwards that he's "basically just like an iPhone model, so it makes sense that there would be more like him". Which...is something that makes a lot of sense to me. It didn't bother me too much and I just saw it as another part of the world building, along with the design of the ships, corridor/door designs, etc. I liked his role in the film and how it corrupted the Andy character and his motives.

I rolled my eyes at that sequence in the lab talking about making perfect humans, Prometheus references, blah blah. I have to say that I'm disappointed that this was shoe-horned in and, once it was there, I knew it would appear in some hybrid form at the end. I'm just going to say that I liked the tension for the last 5 minutes, but I disliked the whole hybrid in itself and didn't like the creature design and didn't like the resemblance to the engineers in Prometheus. I...thought it was quite well known that the newborn in Alien: Resurrection was hated, so I'm unsure of why the director/producers thought to go down this route again.

I would have preferred had the film kept it to just the one alien throughout, but then, my wife again made the point of saying that something would have to happen to all those crew members on the ship, and the facehuggers are there, so...it stands to reason there would be more than one xenomorph. I LOVE Aliens...but I can also fully get on board with the idea that James Cameron took the tension and scary-factor out of the creature by making them so easily disposed of with the pulse rifles.

I've seen talk online about references and 'call backs' to previous films. I'm generally not a fan of this and did think certain lines in this film were unnecessary. The film didn't need them. I would say that the would had enough strength in the first half with its world building, facehugger chase sequences, alien cocoon, and characters in the first half, and that the director should have stuck with this conviction until the end.

In short, very strong first half for me, ok second, meh final 10 minutes. I am not accepting that this is better than Alien 3 as the third best film in the franchise, but it is comfortably better than Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, and Covenant. Therefore, I liked most of it, but will have to watch it again just to see how much the bad parts annoy me. Alien: Isolation was probably the best Alien related thing we've had in about 30 years anyway.
Nice review.
I would say the positive aspects of the narrative are largely revolved around the beginning of the film. I could get onboard with the characters motivations and, as you say, it does a great job establishing that bleak world of being a coloniser on a desolate planet with very little hope of a brighter future.

I say, I was with the film until the introduction of Rook, which I read was initially going to be Mother, and even before then there were rumours circling around that Phoebe Waller Bridge was going to be involved but they died out fairly abruptly.
Overall I'm not liking what Disney are doing regarding this subject, but I'm sure the estates of these actors received a nice fat cheque across the table, so I guess its win-win for those involved.

The references , whether that be poorly executed music cues (Rook mentioning the ship Prometheus and a slightly whimper of the Prometheus theme tune kicked in, in which I openly laughed at loud at. Something of which has been done to death in the recent Jurassic World films and I still find it highly amusing) or obviously the eye-rolling dialogue call backs, was just embarrassing really and I still can't fathom why Fede went down that route. I cant seem to remember him applying those dialogue call backs with his own take on The Evil Dead ,and even if they're present in that film, they're atleast subtle.

At the point the third act reared its ugly head ,the film pretty much lost me all together. It was the Alien series greatest hits all crammed into a soulless, corporate hodgepodge of derivate visual fan service.
I felt absolutely nothing for the story or characters. I just sat there dazed. I knew what was coming. My attachment to the film had gone.
And that's where the film left me.

Just one final comment, something that disappointed me with this film was how inexplicably mild the violence was. Considering Fede made one of the most heart-pounding gore fests in recent memory with his take on the Evil Dead franchise, which was just ridiculously fecking relentless, this was utterly soft in comparison.
Not a single memorable death.
Plus, I have the unpopular opinion that the new-born in Alien Resurrection is still creepy as feck. This one ? not so much, though what it was doing to Kay was unnerving, so I give it that.

But he's the MOST BEAUTIFUL of them all. Notwithstanding his politics and twatness.
:lol:

True.

chef's kiss
Thanks. The xenomorph is one of the greatest monsters of all time but tbh it’s been overused now. Audiences know what to expect which means the horror has been lost.

Making a effective Alien now is pretty much a impossible task.

True.

Thanks. The xenomorph is one of the greatest monsters of all time but tbh it’s been overused now. Audiences know what to expect which means the horror has been lost.

Making a effective Alien now is pretty much a impossible task.
I still think there's another great film to be made with the Xeno but its going to need less studio/Ridley interference and a top end budget that will attract a big name director who consistently churns out good work, and ,no, that's not Ridley, and a good script.
By all accounts Alien Romulus has been a good commercial/ box office success so far, especially in China I believe. And the franchise is still attracting new audiences through, not only from the movies, games, comics, books.

Alien Romulus started off with alot of promise but went considerably down hill when it over emphasised on the references. For 30/40 minutes I, and a fair few other people too, were with it. From then on it just became a studio monster and the Alien films have history of this. But there was a good movie in Romulus.

I still think its a franchise with a good amount of on screen potential .

The first hour after his death was announced film twitter was filled with everyone talking about his great movies and beautiful face. Then people starting seeing how much of a massive right wing bellend he was which resulted in counter posting other less problematic beautiful actors in response.

Twitter will never not milkshake duck.

I still think there's another great film to be made with the Xeno but its going to need less studio/Ridley interference and a top end budget that will attract a big name director who consistently churns out good work, and ,no, that's not Ridley, and a good script.
By all accounts Alien Romulus has been a good commercial/ box office success so far, especially in China I believe. And the franchise is still attracting new audiences through, not only from the movies, games, comics, books.

Alien Romulus started off with alot of promise but went considerably down hill when it over emphasised on the references. For 30/40 minutes I, and a fair few other people too, were with it. From then on it just became a studio monster and the Alien films have history of this. But there was a good movie in Romulus.

I still think its a franchise with a good amount of on screen potential .
Interesting I didn’t know it was doing well at the box office. Romulus is probably a great watch for younger people who haven’t seen any of the other Alien films. My guess with the fan services stuff is partly in there to win over a younger audience.

My worry is the unknown fear has gone from the series simply due the amount of movies we’ve had. Agree that it would probably take a big budget to bring any big name on. And yep the Ripley stuff should be dropped.

I did really enjoy Alien Isolation. Although it’s a again remix of Alien 1. The video game elements definitely added something new(Imo it the easily the best Alien thing after 1&2).

There’s is a tv show apparently coming out soon called Alien Earth which focuses more on the corporation side. Hopefully it brings something new.
Twitter will never not milkshake duck.
To be fair in this case the guy was a cnut. Admitted to slapping woman in heated arguments, thought homosexuality was against human nature and gays shouldn’t be able to adopt and was into French right wing politics.

Although in true actor style he did regret not getting directed by a woman.

The Xenomoprhs were born from the people working in the station. The scientists retro engineered the specimen (from its DNA) they captured floating in space. That's how they could print facehuggers and produce that black goo. Eventually, the Alien + facehuggers managed to escape...

I really enjoyed it. Only blight, other than dreadful line callback, was the slightly off-putting CG character in an otherwise beautifully realised mix of practical and computer effects. Enjoyed seeing more of the grim Alien world and the new, disgusting places it takes us. David Jonsson is brilliant and joins a prestigious group of synthetics. You could pick holes in this film, like you could in any - really you bores, you can -, but is just an enjoyable romp around a series which hasn't really needed a sequel since 1987.

Interesting I didn’t know it was doing well at the box office. Romulus is probably a great watch for younger people who haven’t seen any of the other Alien films. My guess with the fan services stuff is partly in there to win over a younger audience.

My worry is the unknown fear has gone from the series simply due the amount of movies we’ve had. Agree that it would probably take a big budget to bring any big name on. And yep the Ripley stuff should be dropped.

I did really enjoy Alien Isolation. Although it’s a again remix of Alien 1. The video game elements definitely added something new(Imo it the easily the best Alien thing after 1&2).

There’s is a tv show apparently coming out soon called Alien Earth which focuses more on the corporation side. Hopefully it brings something new.

I don't have a great deal of faith in the TV show. Its supposedly set way before the events of the original Alien, plus its set on Earth.
Fox/Disney seems to be allergic in setting anything after the 4th film.

Anyhoo, just found this :
Rook1.jpg
Screenshot-2024-08-20-at-6-55-22-PM.png

To be fair in this case the guy was a cnut. Admitted to slapping woman in heated arguments, thought homosexuality was against human nature and gays shouldn’t be able to adopt and was into French right wing politics.

Although in true actor style he did regret not getting directed by a woman.

He also wanted his dog put down so it could be buried with him. Some proper Mr Burns shit :lol:

I just watched The Green Book for the first time and its brilliantly entertaining and put together in a very wholesome manner!

I don't have a great deal of faith in the TV show. Its supposedly set way before the events of the original Alien, plus its set on Earth.
Fox/Disney seems to be allergic in setting anything after the 4th film.

Anyhoo, just found this :
Rook1.jpg
Screenshot-2024-08-20-at-6-55-22-PM.png
Saw a tweet today saying his family gave the go ahead to use his face. They said he would have liked the idea.

He also wanted his dog put down so it could be buried with him. Some proper Mr Burns shit :lol:

Insane.

Beetlejuice

A married couple faced with a bureaucracy invoke the help of a degenerate self made business man. The America dream is realised - don’t worry even in death you can still be a property owner.

Watched this for the first time and it was great. Made in the era before Tim Button found out about computers which means the practical effects were charming and silly. Performances all top with Keaton as the stand out. Plus another hit Danny Elfman score.

Only downside was it ended too soon. Still a fun watch.

8/10

Goodbye, Dragon Inn

Another masterpiece of slow cinema by god tier director Tsai Ming-liang. The film is set around the last night of a cinema before it’s full closure.

Dragon Inn continues Ming-liang film themes of erotic homosexuality under the surface. The slow style/long takes works brilliantly to highlight the difficult work conditions facing disabled workers. There’s also a very sweet co worker relationship throughout.

A beautiful tribute to cinema which given the current conditions becomes more relevant every year. Get comfy with your drug of choice and vibe out.

FRGQdJiUYAAjR8H

10/10

Babylon. Damien Chazelle's sprawling 2022 film about the end of the silent era and beginning of the sound era in Hollywood. It follows a star actor, new hit actress, and a guy making career on the business side (as wel as a few other characters) as they navigate the film world during this period.

It's hard to talk about this film, since it's all over the place in style, tone, and narrative. Some bits work well, like the chaos of the opening party (very Luhrman-like and not something I care much for, but I can see the craft in it), the bit where a ton of silent films are being shot together (more controlled chaos, basically), and especially the start of the sound era: the way the first scene on the sound stage starts is amazing - even if it subsequently descends into another wild farce.

But on the other side, I felt a lot of scenes were unnecessarily drawn out (enormously, sometimes), a lot of plot elements were unnecessary (which matters in a 3h film), the tonal shift to a very dark (and strangely bizarre) world in the final third was exaggerated, and the character developments were poorly motivated. I also felt the shift from a naive, free world of silent film, that could be progressive and cheeky and provocative, to a much more closed-minded era where the socio-eonomic-cultural elite, criminals, and conservatism entered Hollywood was probably far too black and white - although it seems like the film is heavily inspired by Singing in the Rain, and I never saw that one; I feel that limited my understanding of certain developments in the story. And as much as I understand the film is a kind of dark homage to Hollywood, the final 'history of cinema' sequence seemed tacked on rather pointlessly. (And after a pretty good first half also selected and edited strangely; but maybe that's my lack of understanding of the history.)

So it's good but bad, impressive but dumb, joyful but very dark, everything but far too much of it. 3/5

Last edited: