Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Gift.

feck me, I thought Sam Raimi stood for originality and inventiveness. Seems I was wrong, this predictable shower of shite wasted almost two hours of my life. Katie Holmes exhibits her shirt potatoes and Cate Blanchett is worth a squirt, other than that I'd rather have spent two hours scratching my arse.

spock.jpg

Rumours suggest that Dirk Kuyt will have a starring role in the upcoming movie.

quark.jpg

Even after enduring five hours in the make up chair, this is the closest they got to making him look human.

Ere Spoony, you seem like you know your onions when it comes to Kurosawa

What would you say was the best one of his to watch, for someone who's never watched any before?

The most accessible like

Ere Spoony, you seem like you know your onions when it comes to Kurosawa

What would you say was the best one of his to watch, for someone who's never watched any before?

The most accessible like

Tough one, Franco. I reckon the best thing to do is watch all his movies in chronological order. As for accessibility, I reckon Yojimbo and Sanjuro are very accessible and light hearted(well. . .). But I've loved most of his stuff. Ran's my fav, I thought that was another very accessible film, basically it was his adaptation of Shakespeare's King Lear, so it wasn't difficult to follow at all and aesthetically speaking, I think it's probably in my top 3 in the cinematography department.

Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran, Throne of Blood(possible my second fav Kurosawa) are all highly recommended. Kaghemusha whilst very good, wasn't quite upto the standards of the above mentioned films. I've yet to Dreams and Ikiru.

Tough one, Franco. I reckon the best thing to do is watch all his movies in chronological order. As for accessibility, I reckon Yojimbo and Sanjuro are very accessible and light hearted(well. . .). But I've loved most of his stuff. Ran's my fav, I thought that was another very accessible film, basically it was his adaptation of Shakespeare's King Lear, so it wasn't difficult to follow at all and aesthetically speaking, I think it's probably in my top 3 in the cinematography department.

Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran, Throne of Blood(possible my second fav Kurosawa) are all highly recommended. Kaghemusha whilst very good, wasn't quite upto the standards of the above mentioned films. I've yet to Dreams and Ikiru.

Cheers. I've got Ran and Kagemusha on DVD but not watched em yet. Reckon I'll save them til I've seen the older ones first.

(On a side note, I've also got that Kwaidan to watch, on your recommendation, but I can tell that's gonna be heavy going, so that can wait for now)

Will most likely go with Yojimbo first up

Yeah, you'll enjoy that. As for Kwaidan, I thought it was stunning. Especially the second and third stories(I think). It's not too heavy as it's been broken down into three segments. Hope you enjoy it.

Best ones I saw last year were Melville's Le Samourai (which made me want to check out Le Cercle rouge and Bob le Flambeur and 36 Quai d'Orfevres. Don't Look Now springs to mind as a classic that doesn't seem to be rated much now.

Told you to watch Wages of Fear.

I will.

Best ones I saw last year were Melville's Le Samourai (which made me want to check out Le Cercle rouge and Bob le Flambeur and 36 Quai d'Orfevres. Don't Look Now springs to mind as a classic that doesn't seem to be rated much now.

Seen Don't Look Now and Le Samourai. Don't Look Now was good, but I thought it was a tad overrated.

Has anyone seen The Stepford Wives? or May http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303361/ ??

I tried watching Don't Look Now the other day, and I have a question...

Is it made on the cheap or something? The audio and picture quality were fecking terrible. Seems extremely dated

Opps. I haven't seen the Bergman one.

And they're all very good, was disappointed with Spoorloos, though. Great review that.