Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Nightingale

Set in 1825, Clare, a young Irish convict woman, chases a British officer through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness, bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence he committed against her family. On the way she enlists the services of an Aboriginal tracker named Billy, who is also marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.
Excellent film to start off 2020, the acting and story were top notch.
Some parts of it are horrific to watch
Aisling Franciosi, I thought was outstanding.

8/10
Does this show any rape scenes? I want to watch this movie but the wife hates movies with rape or kiddy fiddlers in them...

Eric's Seagull

The Lighthouse (2019) Very good movie. Chilling, gory and funny with some very good one liners. Great performances from both Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattison 7/10.

Thanks @CassiusClaymore If I hadn't read your review I might not have watched this entertaining movie.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The Lighthouse (2019) Very good movie. Chilling, gory and funny with some very good one liners. Great performances from both Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattison 7/10.

Thanks @CassiusClaymore If I hadn't read your review I might not have watched this entertaining movie.
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Watched these two again:

Last of the Mohicans
Capote

8/10
both.

SteveJ

Scout
It's good, mate. :) Such a shame about the late Philip Seymour Hoffman.

SteveJ

Scout
It's not bad at all, considering it was a 1992 dvd.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The Town (2010) Very good heist movie starring Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm. Very strong performances from everyone including the actors who didn't have large roles. Think Renner was deserving of his Oscar nomination as he was superb. I would recommend it to anybody interested in heist movies. 7/10.
This was one of my eight DVDs I got for Christmas.

I don't specifically like heist movies (just good movies) but sounds positive so maybe that'll be the first one I watch.

Eric's Seagull

Capote (2005) Excellent movie. Fantastic movie based on deep subject matter handled superbly. Amazing performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman which was worthy of winning the Oscar for his portrayal of Capote. Strong supporting performances particularly from Clifton Collins Jr. 8/10 @SteveJ Thanks for mentioning this movie. A great watch :)

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
Brilliant, chief. :) Really happy that you enjoyed it.

Meller

Aladdin (2019)

It's okay I guess but ultimately another pointless remake that doesn't come close to the original. Dreading to watch the Lion King.

Eric's Seagull

Aladdin (2019)

It's okay I guess but ultimately another pointless remake that doesn't come close to the original. Dreading to watch the Lion King.
What was Will Smith like as the genie please as I think it would be hard for any actor to come close to Robin Williams' portrayal in the original?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Watched Lincoln Lawyer last night. One of those films that’s easy to watch and enjoyable but sort of instantly forgettable. Matthew McConaughey is great as always.

Meller

What was Will Smith like as the genie please as I think it would be hard for any actor to come close to Robin Williams' portrayal in the original?
He was fine and he doesn't seem out of place, but he doesn't come close to Robin Williams as you'd expect.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Knives Out

Harmless little sleuther which dangles just enough carrots for you along the way to solve it all by yourself and feel like the smartest guy in the room. I do enjoy Daniel Craig more in these kind of roles too because he makes a dour Bond imo.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ali's Wedding
After telling a white lie which spirals out of control, a neurotic, naive, musically gifted Muslim cleric's eldest son must follow through with an arranged marriage, even though he's madly in love with an Australian born-Lebanese girl. At first, I was worried. None of the jokes were landing and it felt like it's gonna be a long 90 minutes but it quickly picks up and becomes genuinely funny. Enjoyed the 'muslim-slanted' take on a rom-com, which I dont think I've seen before 6.5/10

Erin Brokovich

I'd never seen this before, thinking it was some run-of-the-mill chick flick but it wasn't and I really enjoyed it. Didn't realize Julia Roberts can actually act. Didn't buy Aaron Eckhart as The American Badass though 8/10

Memories Of Murder

In a small Korean province in 1986, three detectives struggle with the case of multiple young women being found raped and murdered by an unknown culprit. Great mystery thriller with off-beat characters. Hilarious in places and brutal in equal measure. Good ending also. Slightly dragged the run time towards the end but I'll forgive it as I was having a blast with the characters 7/10

Eric's Seagull

The Irishman - 6/10. Too slow and long for my liking. Acting is very good though. But I just could not finish it as it was way too long.
Thought that it was an amazing movie. Superb acting. But after watching it the second time there were things I noticed that made it seem not as good as first time.
The part where the guy is saying to De Niro about stating st his big years and they camera is flicking back and forth and De Niro had bigger ears than the guy. Think that was a bad flaw which I missed the first time as I was engrossed in the movie and so absorbed in the acting

I really like heist movies but I'll watch any genre if I think it's going to be good. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
I'm working my way down the IMDB top.100 list.

I know it's not perfect (i.e. I'm not sure why Shawshank was ranked the IMDB no.1 film of all time for ages) but it's a decent barometer and has directed me to a few films I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

For example, one I'd recommend if not seen is "City of God". A (based on reality/semi autobiographical) film about growing up in the slums in Rio. Focusses on 3 main characters and how they grow up and their lives evolve.

As Roger Ebert reviewed, film can be compared to Goodfellas. Different location but similar in terms of theme, brutality and how well filmed/acted (but on a tiny budget).

Grim at times and pulls no punches but feels "all the better" (in terms of realism not because I love violence) for it. Great (sic) film.

Eric's Seagull

I'm working my way down the IMDB top.100 list.

I know it's not perfect (i.e. I'm not sure why Shawshank was ranked the IMDB no.1 film of all time for ages) but it's a decent barometer and has directed me to a few films I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

For example, one I'd recommend if not seen is "City of God". A (based on reality/semi autobiographical) film about growing up in the slums in Rio. Focusses on 3 main characters and how they grow up and their lives evolve.

As Roger Ebert reviewed, film can be compared to Goodfellas. Different location but similar in terms of theme, brutality and how well filmed/acted (but on a tiny budget).

Grim at times and pulls no punches but feels "all the better" (in terms of realism not because I love violence) for it. Great (sic) film.
That sounds a good thing to work down the IMDB list as I find I normally enjoy movies that have high ratings on there. Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed Shawshank Redemption. I was going to watch "City of God" it looks good as it is based around a true story but when I've tried watching it I think it has been in Portuguese. Have you seen an English version please?

That sounds a good thing to work down the IMDB list as I find I normally enjoy movies that have high ratings on there. Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed Shawshank Redemption. I was going to watch "City of God" it looks good as it is based around a true story but when I've tried watching it I think it has been in Portuguese. Have you seen an English version please?
The DVD I have is English subtitles.... wife hates them but I'm fine with subtitles, few minutes in and your brain just adjusts? You can get a copy for a couple of pounds online.

Shawshank is fine (watched several times), just not no.1 for me..... just looked at latest top 250 and still no.1. List has changed a bit too, there's still about 20 films in top 100 that I haven't seen though doubt I'll ever see full list as few Manga films on there (I like animated films, just not Manga... can't get into them).

12 Angry Men is a great film too (and again, IMDB nudged me to buy). Almost entire film spent in a jury room and apart from 12 jurors, hardly anyone else in it. Film is basically about human nature and preconceptions regarding a case/accused party.

Brilliant cast, great dialogue and rare you see a film so deliberately contained (one room). Masterpiece. 10/10

peridigm

Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Ford v Ferrari over the holidays.
Hollywood was a surprise. I must be incredibly slow as I did not pick up on what the movie was about until the last scene when shit went down. Despite all the clues on the characters involved in the original events. The alternate reality was good.
Ford v Ferrari was really good as well.

Eric's Seagull

The DVD I have is English subtitles.... wife hates them but I'm fine with subtitles, few minutes in and your brain just adjusts? You can get a copy for a couple of pounds online.

Shawshank is fine (watched several times), just not no.1 for me..... just looked at latest top 250 and still no.1. List has changed a bit too, there's still about 20 films in top 100 that I haven't seen though doubt I'll ever see full list as few Manga films on there (I like animated films, just not Manga... can't get into them).

12 Angry Men is a great film too (and again, IMDB nudged me to buy). Almost entire film spent in a jury room and apart from 12 jurors, hardly anyone else in it. Film is basically about human nature and preconceptions regarding a case/accused party.

Brilliant cast, great dialogue and rare you see a film so deliberately contained (one room). Masterpiece. 10/10
Shawshank Redemption is one of the few movies I could watch over and over again. As I've wanted to watch City of God for a while I will try to get hold of a copy online with subtitles. Didn't know there was one available. Thanks for letting me know. Never heard of 12 Angry Men thanks for mentioning. Will watch that later :)

Ramos

Thought that it was an amazing movie. Superb acting. But after watching it the second time there were things I noticed that made it seem not as good as first time.
The part where the guy is saying to De Niro about stating st his big years and they camera is flicking back and forth and De Niro had bigger ears than the guy. Think that was a bad flaw which I missed the first time as I was engrossed in the movie and so absorbed in the acting
Wasn't he supposed to have fixed them? I remember he said he had an operation. Think that was the joke. They weren't big anymore, but De Niro kept looking at them because he was still being called Big Ears. Later in the movie Pacino even says: "His ears ain't so big.", when he sees him on tv.

Eric's Seagull

Wasn't he supposed to have fixed them? I remember he said he had an operation. Think that was the joke. They weren't big anymore, but De Niro kept looking at them because he was still being called Big Ears. Later in the movie Pacino even says: "His ears ain't so big.", when he sees him on tv.
Thanks very much :) . Looks like I didn't get the joke. I thought it was a flaw because of De Niro's old men ears. No disprespect to De Niro as he is my favourite actor but people's ears keep on growing.

SteveJ

Scout
I'll bloody kill Dwazza for this tagline, comrade.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The Town (2010) Very good heist movie starring Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm. Very strong performances from everyone including the actors who didn't have large roles. Think Renner was deserving of his Oscar nomination as he was superb. I would recommend it to anybody interested in heist movies. 7/10.
Watched this last night, after reading your review.
Good stuff all around.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The Lighthouse

Yeah it's so arty it's almost a pastiche of arthouse movies but Willem Dafoe is great, it's gorgeous and I can't stop saying "Why d'yer spill yer beans" so I'd give it a thumbs up. The missus was less impressed .... "You do watch some weird films" so bare in mind both those views before diving in.
Where/how did you watch this?
I was looking to stream it last night but iirc they wanted $15 to purchase it.