The pressure and weight of expectation being placed upon Ugarte as some kind of saviour figure

The expectation is we are signing a good dm. Casemiro the first season he was here or a Matic with a bit more legs. That is a fair expectation for the price. Thinking he is going to fix all our other tactical or personnel issues is dumb.

It's crazy isn't it. Ugarte is a decent player, but this is a guy PSG were desperate to get rid of, he's average on the ball and won't help us control games. Also a big culture shock moving country etc.

He'll end up run ragged trying to defend these constant overloading counter attacks.

There is always a big expectation when we sign any player really. I am sure that is no different to most clubs.

It's not really any worse than the fact we are now taking it for granted that a 19-year-old starts every week in the other central position.

I love Mainoo and all but I seriously worry about the amount of game time he is playing at such a young age, and how reliant we are on him playing well, and how difficult it must be to be going through all the toxicity that follows getting drubbed 3-0 at home on a regular basis.

Reactions: jojojo
Personally managers at other clubs say a lot worse but their fans don’t follow the media frenzy. Sancho saga being the perfect example

I agree. But I also don't care about other clubs. United is a different job altogether. Every other manager has it a lot easier.

I agree. But I also don't care about other clubs. United is a different job altogether. Every other manager has it a lot easier.
Indeed because our fans by into the nonsense which was my point

It's crazy isn't it. Ugarte is a decent player, but this is a guy PSG were desperate to get rid of, he's average on the ball and won't help us control games. Also a big culture shock moving country etc.

He'll end up run ragged trying to defend these constant overloading counter attacks.
Won't help us control games? He averages 90%+ pass accuracy in his first-team career.

Please do your research ;)

He's not a playmaker, something we lack. 90% short sideways passes, anyone can do. Big deal.
I agree he's not a playmaker but surely you don't believe that having watched our lot? I genuinely thought that would be Casemiro woth the 90% short sideways passes, however he turned out a lot more creative but then a whole lot less secure than I thought he was going to be.

No one does those safe passes keeping us ticking over bar Kobbie, and that may actually be exactly what we need right now.

I agree he's not a playmaker but surely you don't believe that having watched our lot? I genuinely thought that would be Casemiro woth the 90% short sideways passes, however he turned out a lot more creative but then a whole lot less secure than I thought he was going to be.

No one does those safe passes keeping us ticking over bar Kobbie, and that may actually be exactly what we need right now.
Yeah I agree, we've had a surprising amount of midfielders who for some reason can mess up simple, consistent passes over the years. Someone like Pogba could make a forward pass few players could ever dream of making and make it look effortless but then mess up a simple 10 yard pass to a team mate. If Ugarte's style is simple and gets the basics right it should be ok if the creative players step up.

Expectations need to be realistic. I don't think he's going to be a ''saviour''. I think he has the potential to be a very solid player in the team and can have a big impact. Hopefully, this turns out to be a great signing and can have a big role in the team for years to come.

He might not be perfect for a while but going forward, he could be a very good player to have.

It's a concern that ETH didn't seem that keen to have him and he seems more like a Jason Wilcox buy. But if ETH has one flaw (and he has many) it's that he likes to make the perfect the enemy of the good. Obviously we'd all rather have peak Casemiro, but such a player would not be available to us. I can see Ugarte making us a lot less soft in midfield and that's the main thing.

Is bonkers.

You'd think we'd signed a prime Keane or Robson from the way Ugarte is being spoken about as a lone figure who will change our fortunes. The last midfielder I recall with this level of expectation heaped upon them before even kicking a ball for us was Pogba.

Whether Ugarte can match what seem to be irrational levels of expectation (to me) remains to be seen, but the pressure emanating for him to be a one-man army really does appear to be OTT.

If he does match the bar being set, he's going to become an instant fan favourite, I think, but I really hope those of you think he's the second coming will give him time to settle should he not hit his groove in his first few games.

Talk about a baptism of fire!
This "pressure and weight" and saviour image only exists in minds of some fans. Professional teams do not work like that, and I am certain Erik/our coaching staff don't see it that way at all

Midfield is a unit, not a single player

Let's be honest this applies to almost every single player in the team.

Onana, Martinez, de Ligt, Shaw, Mainoo, Bruno, Amad, Casemiro, Zirkzee, Rashford, Garnacho and Hojlund. All players, who have been earmarked by some or another as must play players or needs to be on the pitch because we need their qualities. It's true to an extent but when they inevitably don't turn us into a winning machine and have an off game, they're just not all that. Same with all our other previous transfers. The single biggest saviour figure because of their responsibility and control is on the manager. Unfortunately, we just haven't got it right in the past 11 years, although if we're generous ETH still has chance to prove otherwise.

Until ETH recognises what a midfield actually does and what happens when it isn't able to do its job, it really isn't going to matter who we sign or which player he puts there.

We need two players sitting. They can swap or one can be more dynamic when we're on top, or one can pick out the forward balls and the other be more in the destroyer mode. It really doesn't matter as much as the fact we need two players sitting in positions they can control the game and cover the width of the pitch from. The same as Arsenal realised they needed very early last season. The same as every other team except us needs to do and does.

Until ETH recognises this actually very simple concept, unless we sign someone who's so fat they are wider than the regulation width of a football pitch, we are going to encounter the exact same problems and people are going to keep blaming it on whoever we player at "DM" due to every half competent opponent being able to run round or through our midfield due to the rest of it constantly being caught ahead of the ball.