The pressure and weight of expectation being placed upon Ugarte as some kind of saviour figure

If he can't handle 'I think Ugarte can come in and add some legs and bite to the midfield', then he probably wouldn't have made it this far in his career. Nobody is, favourably at least, comparing him to Rodri.

On here it might be a bit over the top, but in general? Nah, it's more a timing thing of the international break meaning a long buildup and wait for him to play. Things will calm down. He can't fix us on his own, everyone with sense knows that. He won't save Ten Hag.

It's called hope.

The fragility in our squad of players, who are otherwise "good on paper" is both personnel and manager related - but in the short term it isn't going to be remediated by getting rid of the manager. We just won't sack him until it gets tragically worse - which, without sounding like a fecking debbie downer, it surely will.

A young, dynamic looking CM, who is a bit of an unknown though... it gives me something to look forward to and cling onto in the hope that at least our midfield might look a little tighter.

Deep down we all know the issues are bigger than one player coming in here and there.

It's the same shit every time. We have huge gaps in our squad and then we sign one promising player and they have to fix it all.

Same with Højlund. We didn't have a striker at all, so the pressure on him was huge. With Onana he was going to transform our play, because we had DDG for a decade or more.

Is bonkers.

You'd think we'd signed a prime Keane or Robson from the way Ugarte is being spoken about as a lone figure who will change our fortunes. The last midfielder I recall with this level of expectation heaped upon them before even kicking a ball for us was Pogba.

Whether Ugarte can match what seem to be irrational levels of expectation (to me) remains to be seen, but the pressure emanating for him to be a one-man army really does appear to be OTT.

If he does match the bar being set, he's going to become an instant fan favourite, I think, but I really hope those of you think he's the second coming will give him time to settle should he not hit his groove in his first few games.

Talk about a baptism of fire!

Our football is so boring, our fans need the drama to be entertained.

It's the same shit every time. We have huge gaps in our squad and then we sign one promising player and they have to fix it all.

Same with Højlund. We didn't have a striker at all, so the pressure on him was huge. With Onana he was going to transform our play, because we had DDG for a decade or more.

Meanwhile, the serious football clubs target and sign players who are already elite to fill those critical gaps. So it's no wonder we're doomed to be always playing catch-up.

Meanwhile, the serious football clubs target and sign players who are already elite to fill those critical gaps. So it's no wonder we're doomed to be always playing catch-up.
What do you mean, we signed Casemiro, Varane and Ronaldo to fill vital gaps in our squad :confused: ?

But kidding aside, we've dug a massive hole squad-wise, and it will take a series of really good windows to sort it out.

What do you mean, we signed Casemiro, Varane and Ronaldo to fill vital gaps in our squad :confused: ?

But kidding aside, we've dug a massive hole squad-wise, and it will take a series of really good windows to sort it out.

I honestly think we've become the new Spurs. We used to sign the best players in the league. Now it's all about potential and resale value. Either that or has beens looking for a fat final pay check. We've become a non-serious football club.

Who thinks Ugarte is a saviour? I've probably seen more opinions about how he's not a single fix than anything to the contrary.
I’m not intending to call anybody out with this thread as that would be highlighting posts to put people in the spotlight for scrutiny and/or ribbing. Suffice it to say that there’s an overspill into the realm of the incredible by some and incredible is reserved for players like in the OP or a Kante etc. which is, to me, an unrealistic expectation that sets this guy up for failure if he comes in and doesn’t perform at a stellar level.

Hallelujah if this guy comes in and makes this thread a bunch of green smilies down the road, but equally don’t tar and feather him if he’s not this all-conquering war machine.

I think @Mike Smalling makes a good point as this is like the Onana and Højlund thing, but multiple times worse because of the glaring holes in our midfield and the profile this guy has. I think views were more tentative for Højlund because of his age and experience, but Onana has essentially become a bit of a laughing stock with a big fall from the lauded expectations he was initially met with by those who believed in him. Ugarte’s coming into a worse scenario than both with the hopes he’ll turn our season around, save the manager and have us play good football. It’s a lot. Too much, if you ask me.

Despite my own reservations, I do hope he can come in and be a solid 7/10 and up player for us, but if he doesn’t achieve that I’ll not hold it against him.

For what it’s worth, if this guy had come in next to another rated midfielder, I would think things have a high probability of being on the up.

I think people are hyping him in hope more than expectation.

Ten Hag has us playing crazy tactics, and the only way to make them work is 1 guy covering the whole of midfield on his own during transitions. We've signed the best player in Europe at covering ground and tackling or intercepting, so if its ever going to work it'll need someone like Ugarte for it to happen.

Now I think myself, and most other fans are expecting us to still fail given the aforementioned tactics, but it's interesting to see just what its going to look like.

Best Uruguayan Player to Grace the premier League and he is not racist and does not bite Opponents!

I see some of the hype as the ETH zealots shifting the goalposts once again. I think he will be a good player for us but I think the main issue is the way ETH sets us up.

Instead of getting 2v4ed by the opposition five times a game with Casemiro giving it away, it’ll be reduced down to maybe two or three times with Ugarte.

If we go with a midfield of Ugarte, Mainoo & Mount when fit he'll do great, if we end up playing Ugarte, Mainoo and Bruno as expected we'll be a bit better but generally have the same issues.

I think in many places it is the opposite. People are finally realising that the manager is the weak link and that throwing player after player at him is wasting money. Shame we wasted another bunch this summer.

He's just the Uruguayan ander herrera. There I said it.

PS - I've never seen Ugarte play. Not even a youtube highlights video.

He’s going to be running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to plug the massive gaps in midfield and put out fires left right and centre. The problems are all structural and it’s impossible to sort them just by sticking a single ball-winner in there. I suspect this is mainly a purchase for the benefit of whoever comes in after ETH. Though if that coach is requiring a ball-playing 6, ugarte isn’t that.

Agree, good luck to the lad, he's going to need.

The way Casemiro and Mainoo folded under pressure against Liverpool, I'd be on there heels when they got off the team bus if I were Southhampton.

the way Ugarte is being spoken about as a lone figure who will change our fortunes
Genuine Question: who's speaking of Ugarte like that?

In his transfer thread, many posters questioned his quality on the ball and his other weaknesses, many said that his strengths are in his defensive work but he won't aid the team offensively except maybe with his pressing and interceptions, I believe a lot of people understand what he is and what he isn't.

Keane and Robson are on another planet compared to this fella, he is not even considered special aside from being hardworking DM who tackles and intercepts and covers ground

Years of hearing how midfield is the problem but not actually signing midfielders has led to this.
This. But not signing appropriate midfielders is the bigger issue.

I don't think anyone is hyping him up more that ETH after the post-match presser against Liverpool. Then you saw that vomit inducing clip that United posted on their socials of ETH meeting Ugarte. And if Ugarte were to get injured or miss extended time, it's just allowing ETH more time on the payroll because he's rested so much of our future on Ugarte being this transformative player.

One thing is clear to me too.

Regardless of who we sign, we are still weak in many areas on the pitch, Rashford, our most experienced attacker in the squad is massively out of form for more than a year, Hojlund, Garna and Amad are far from the finished article, Cas is horrific, Bruno blows hot and cold, and we don't have a fit LB, Keane or Robson wouldn't fix this team, nor would Rodri or anyone else and I already accepted that, so my expectations of Ugarte aren't really that high because no matter how well he does, it will help but won't make a major difference.

Certain posters go way over the top on here when rating new signings usually because they dont like a particular player in the side.

No single player will fix the mess but there will quickly be a new excuse under Ten Hag anyway. I wouldn't say he's under huge pressure, just misplaced hope that he can solve it all.

I haven’t seen much hyping to be honest. I’ve seen people happy to get someone young and who plays a specific way which we have lacked for a long time, that’s about it.

I haven’t seen much hyping to be honest. I’ve seen people happy to get someone young and who plays a specific way which we have lacked for a long time, that’s about it.
And that he's got a bit of the dog in him, which will add to a team that has been far too soft.

And that he's got a bit of the dog in him, which will add to a team that has been far too soft.

The team as a whole being too soft, isn’t going to be solved by just one physically aggressive player being drafted into the middle of the park.
We can’t continue putting out 4 forward players who are all incapable or too weak to perform midfield and other defensive duties.
At least two of them have to be able to do the physical stuff effectively and be capable of winning back possession when required.
Ugarte should be seen as another much needed, useful cog in the team rebuild and not expected to solve all our midfield problems on his own.

Certain posters go way over the top on here when rating new signings usually because they dont like a particular player in the side.

No single player will fix the mess but there will quickly be a new excuse under Ten Hag anyway. I wouldn't say he's under huge pressure, just misplaced hope that he can solve it all.
Same goes for any newsworthy changes in the staff or higher management - set piece coach, academy coach etc. - never ending list. Media/ fans just love to bring hopes up so that they can bring it down.

Most fans are rational offline, it's the hysterical online reactionary posters that will give him 45 mins before going over the top with praise or writing him off completely.

The media will always push the narrative/agenda that gets the most clicks...so they will be waiting to stick the knife into another failed United signing.

It's tough being the new guy at United...I wish him well :devil:

Of course, the pressure on all new players is enormous, that's what playing for this club means and when the player comes in, he initially always gets fantastic support from fans.

Once performances begin to falter, support goes down and pressure goes up, it's whether players can turn this kind of situation around or not, many do and go on to become legends like Vidic and Evra, others are failures in that they never recapture their early promising form, Martial a good example. Some like Maguire adjust their style and endeavors to compensate, in Maguire's case he will never be 'fast Harry! but has added other aspects, especially going forward with more confidence.

Ugarte will no doubt eventually have his 'Achilles heel' exposed (if he doesn't have one then we are laughing) but how long it will take for this to be exposed, this will be the key to how useful he can be and whether once it is exposed, he can, with the help of teammates/styles of play, etc. ameliorate the worst parts.

Meantime lets give him fantastic support... and keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:

When a manager is not allowed to say he is going to ease a new player in, there is definitely something going on in terms of unnecessary pressure applied to the player

Ugarte is as good as Mainoo. What a combination in defensive midfield!

When a manager is not allowed to say he is going to ease a new player in, there is definitely something going on in terms of unnecessary pressure applied to the player
I mean that was more so people rolling their eyes at Ten Hag saying he might not be ready for a month while he went out and ran games for Uruguay.

I’d actually argue there’s not much pressure at all because most people expect our midfield to still be shit and there’s not any optimism at all.