The Overlap | Jamie Carragher: From Everton fan to Liverpool legend | Stick to Football EP 49

He said he didn’t think he was a controller himself until later in his career

Correct but that's irrelevant to why it was different for him playing on the left for England compared to United.

He felt united had players that could control the game but England didn't.

I always get the impression Scholars would be fascinating to talk to if handled right and given the opportunity to speak.

I think Carra spoils things with likes of Scholes as he starts dominating discussions if anything is Liverpool related. I sensed Scholsey looking frustrated when the Trent and England discussion happened because Carra just butted in when Scholes was saying something.
That's carragher in a nutshell. I also notice that he can't have a sentence about Pep without mentioning klopp. Klopp is a very good manager but Pep is an all time great.

It's the same if you mention a top CB past or present and he has to bring up Vvd.

Or if you mention a top cm Gerrard.

He hasn't an objective bone in his body and he forces his opinions down our throats and doesn't allow anyone around him to finished a sentence.

That's carragher in a nutshell. I also notice that he can't have a sentence about Pep without mentioning klopp. Klopp is a very good manager but Pep is an all time great.

It's the same if you mention a top CB past or present and he has to bring up Vvd.

He hasn't an objective bone in his body and he forces his opinions down our throats and doesn't allow anyone around him to finished a sentence.
Yeah I noticed this too. It's as if he feels like if he keeps mentioning Klopp next to Pep, people will eventually compare them the same.

Paul Scholes is such a miserable cnut :lol:
One of the most miserable people out there. Who would say a mgr doesn’t like a player just because the player is getting subbed late in a match. Be miserable but don’t be a prick.

Carragher's wistful look towards the ceiling, whilst pausing to lend gravitas to the next three minutes of verbal nonsense is really starting to get on my chebs!

Jeez, when it comes to shteeevie he is like a lovesick puppy.

I was hoping Scholsey would say he quit England because of Gerrard. Just to see Carra have a meltdown.

Almost felt Scholsey was trying to say that when he went on about how Lamps came later but the MF for England didn't work

Its almost endearing how utterly joyless he is.

I bet Scholsey is a right laugh when he is in comfortable surroundings.

I know a fella like him. Proper no nonsense but a great laugh amongst friends. Not the one to argue, just look frustrated with people he isn't "in" with. Basically clams up. But a different person with those he knows.

Jeez, when it comes to shteeevie he is like a lovesick puppy.

I was hoping Scholsey would say he quit England because of Gerrard. Just to see Carra have a meltdown.

Almost felt Scholsey was trying to say that when he went on about how Lamps came later but the MF for England didn't work
He kinda did tbf... when he said he felt England didn't have players to control the play and MU did. But yeah, should have said it directly, would have love to seen Carras reaction.

He kinda did tbf... when he said he felt England didn't have players to control the play and MU did. But yeah, should have said it directly, would have love to seen Carras reaction.
He would have done this:

"But..."
Then look at the ceiling for a minute
"I don't think so"

I get rival fans being disappointed with the heavy United links to guests but familiarity - either through being teammates or opponents (in Carragher and Wright’s cases) - definitely helps the format and conversation flows much easier.

In terms of possible future guests, I’d like to see them invite the following:

• Gareth Southgate to talk about England (there’d be the Keane-Southgate angle from their playing days, although they do get on now)
• Paul Ince to talk about crossing the United-Liverpool divide (he roomed with Wrighty for England whilst Keane, Neville and Carragher all speak highly of him as a player and teammate)
• Paul McGrath (a Villa legend and someone who has a brilliant story to tell)
• Alan Shearer (again, the Keane angle would be box office)
• Tony Adams (Neville really looks up to him and he’d have great chemistry with Wrighty)
• Sol Campbell (England chat would be interesting as well as the Arsenal-Spurs angle)
• Ashley Cole (similar to Campbell but replace Spurs with Chelsea)
• Thierry Henry (surprised he hasn’t appeared already as he has past links to all of the Sky lads), and
• John Terry (I think he’d be a great episode, despite him being far from popular with a lot of rival fans).
Would be great if Alan Hansen recovered to be able to do it given he was the dominant pundit of his era but also knew when to depart (Dixon, Smith and quite a few others could learn something from him). Lee Carsley with Rooney in attendance might be interesting.

They had to chance to actually ask Scholes stuff, but instead we’re served up mostly drivel about England and Carragher dominating the conversation whilst the guest takes a backseat.

Scholes isn’t great at articulating himself, but if you lead him to water, he can unwittingly provide great insight. Neville is not skilled enough to coax great info out of a pointedly awkward personality, even if he’s known him for the vast majority of his life. Disappointing.

They had to chance to actually ask Scholes stuff, but instead we’re served up mostly drivel about England and Carragher dominating the conversation whilst the guest takes a backseat.

Scholes isn’t great at articulating himself, but if you lead him to water, he can unwittingly provide great insight. Neville is not skilled enough to coax great info out of a pointedly awkward personality, even if he’s known him for the vast majority of his life. Disappointing.
TBF Gary tried a couple of times. He actually said that Scholes has spoken to him about it but then Carra just kept taking over.

Needed Keane to just tell Carra to STFU.

I've heard Wrighty say "I wanna hear from..." to try and shut Carra up. Thought he tried with Scholsey too. But Carra just spoke over everyone.

Neville knows him better than anyone else on the panel, he was probably aware that pushing some subjects too far would have resulted in him walking out, the propensity for walking away was metioned

TBF Gary tried a couple of times. He actually said that Scholes has spoken to him about it but then Carra just kept taking over.

Needed Keane to just tell Carra to STFU.

I've heard Wrighty say "I wanna hear from..." to try and shut Carra up. Thought he tried with Scholsey too. But Carra just spoke over everyone.
He definitely needed muzzling for this one. Worst thing is Scholes is all too happy to take a backseat and let the likes of Carragher drone on indefinitely.

Notoriously quiet guests should be handled differently and it was a poor job from the production team to allow a regular to drown out a guest.
Neville knows him better than anyone else on the panel, he was probably aware that pushing some subjects too far would have resulted in him walking out, the propensity for walking away was metioned
Neville didn’t have anything pertinent prepped and I don’t think that was for fear of Scholes walking out, rather, Neville’s insights into the game tend to be rubbish so he wouldn’t have nuanced questions about midfield and partnerships etc. on his mind.

Scholes played 3 distinct positions in his career and we didn’t even get to hear views on that, or what it was like working next to a Veron, Keane or Carrick, or what kind of opponents he found hardest etc. etc. It was a real wasted opportunity and another probably won’t come around again.

He definitely needed muzzling for this one. Worst thing is Scholes is all too happy to take a backseat and let the likes of Carragher drone on indefinitely.

Notoriously quiet guests should be handled differently and it was a poor job from the production team to allow a regular to drown out a guest.

Neville didn’t have anything pertinent prepped and I don’t think that was for fear of Scholes walking out, rather, Neville’s insights into the game tend to be rubbish so he wouldn’t have nuanced questions about midfield and partnerships etc. on his mind.

Scholes played 3 distinct positions in his career and we didn’t even get to hear views on that, or what it was like working next to a Veron, Keane or Carrick, or what kind of opponents he found hardest etc. etc. It was a real wasted opportunity and another probably won’t come around again.
I really think they purposely didn't talk about his MU career because of the complaints about it being a "MU podcast" as they joked about towards the end and Carra almost always mentioning. So they tried to steer away from that, which is a shame, because it would have been really interesting to hear his thoughts about the things you listed there.

Skipped around the video for a bit and this American version looks a bit bad? Tim Howard is on a teams call, Poch is interviewed in a completely different clean TV interview setting, they do direct-to-camera ads in the video, the tv host lady makes it feel like a regular TV program, and there seemed to be less banter (I guess the banter thing will get better over time). Also they're in a Liverpool pub.

I like Keane and Wright, i think they just enjoy themselves and take the piss, while the likes of Gary Neville and Carragher take themselves far too seriously and are essentially full of shit.

Carragher had one, maybe a few weeks ago, where he went on about how United and other clubs had looked at Torres at Atletico Madrid and decided he wasn't good enough, and that it came as a surprise to everyone how good he turned out at Liverpool. Funny one. Fergie especially tried signing him quite a few times.

I like Keane and Wright, i think they just enjoy themselves and take the piss, while the likes of Gary Neville and Carragher take themselves far too seriously and are essentially full of shit.

Carragher had one, maybe a few weeks ago, where he went on about how United and other clubs had looked at Torres at Atletico Madrid and decided he wasn't good enough, and that it came as a surprise to everyone how good he turned out at Liverpool. Funny one. Fergie especially tried signing him quite a few times.
Is Torres the most overrated striker of the last 20 years? He had one great season.

Is Torres the most overrated striker of the last 20 years? He had one great season.

He turned shit due to the injuries at Liverpool, as they were desperate for him to play as much as possible due to his importance. Thought he was pretty much the complete striker up until that point, always looked extremely promising at Atletico

No, he was a very good player till he just turned to shit. He was very good at Atletico at such a young age and then was a very good player at Liverpool. His drop off has just made people forget that I think

This was grand, but the constant plugging of products and all that shite is increasingly annoying.

No, he was a very good player till he just turned to shit. He was very good at Atletico at such a young age and then was a very good player at Liverpool. His drop off has just made people forget that I think
I remember him breaking through at Atletico and wanting us to sign him. He had a lot of potential, but it was only really that one season where he realised it. Until then I wouldn’t say he was world class or anything.

I remember him breaking through at Atletico and wanting us to sign him. He had a lot of potential, but it was only really that one season where he realised it. Until then I wouldn’t say he was world class or anything.

His scoring record was also only ever really "decent" too. Don't think he once threatened to be top scorer in the division.

Liverpool fans rate him so highly because he had a couple of good games against us, and his replacements when injured were the likes of Andriy Voronin and David Ngog, so his importance to them was emphasised.

His scoring record was also only ever really "decent" too. Don't think he once threatened to be top scorer in the division.

Liverpool fans rate him so highly because he had a couple of good games against us, and his replacements when injured were the likes of Andriy Voronin and David Ngog, so his importance to them was emphasised.
I think his goal record was pretty good in the league but he only ever had one 'full' season in the league for them and even that was only 33 games. The other campaigns he only managed 24, 23 and 22 league games.

I can't stand Liverpool in any way, but this is quite a comedy post.

He scored 24 league goals one season, 2nd only to a player of the year Ronaldo.

Plus scored 14 in 24 and 18 in 22 league games the next 2 seasons. Those are some stats we'd love any of our strikers to get anywhere near in a full league season, let alone in only 22-24 games.

What didn't make sense is how he absolutely dropped off a cliff, yet Liverpool still got 50m for him off Chelsea. In the days 50m didn't just buy you a non capped 1 season English centre back who is alright.

I can't stand Liverpool in any way, but this is quite a comedy post.

He scored 24 league goals one season, 2nd only to a player of the year Ronaldo.

Plus scored 14 in 24 and 18 in 22 league games the next 2 seasons. Those are some stats we'd love any of our strikers to get anywhere near in a full league season, let alone in only 22-24 games.

What didn't make sense is how he absolutely dropped off a cliff, yet Liverpool still got 50m for him off Chelsea. In the days 50m didn't just buy you a non capped 1 season English centre back who is alright.

His inability to stay fit is part of his career though. And it's that inability to stay fit that prevented him reaching that top tier.

He came 2nd to Ronaldo by 7 goals, and was joint with Adebayor.

His scoring record was decent, and he was undoubtedly among the better strikers around for a few seasons, but the way Liverpool fans talk about him you'd think he was like prime Messi back then.

He's rated highly because of his 07/08 season, and to a lesser extend his 08/09 one too. 33 goals in 46 games is an outstanding season. 17 in 33 the following season wasn't bad either.

To add to one of your points, prior to his arrival Gerrard carried the team and our forward options were the likes of Crouch, Cisse, Bellamy, Kuyt etc. Torres was a huge step up.

That being said, Salah, Suarez, Fowler and arguably Mane were all better forwards. There's an argument to say Firmino was as well.