The Overlap | Jamie Carragher: From Everton fan to Liverpool legend | Stick to Football EP 49

I try listen to this podcast but it genuinely gives me a headache. Too many people, which means a lot of times they'er all talking over each other. The guest episodes are decent but their weekly stuff hurts my head.

I try listen to this podcast but it genuinely gives me a headache. Too many people, which means a lot of times they'er all talking over each other. The guest episodes are decent but their weekly stuff hurts my head.
Darren Anderton does an ASMR podcast, perhaps that's more up your street.

I don't think it's that much of an occurrence, it's usually the case in the first 5-10mn of the show when they're sort of warming up, and then from time to time when the debate gets heated, but for the most part I feel it's really quite easy to listen to, it's one of the few "long" podcasts I can listen with multiple people speaking. It's a shame you don't enjoy it, it's one of the best podcasts on football out there I think.

I don't think it's that much of an occurrence, it's usually the case in the first 5-10mn of the show when they're sort of warming up, and then from time to time when the debate gets heated, but for the most part I feel it's really quite easy to listen to, it's one of the few "long" podcasts I can listen with multiple people speaking. It's a shame you don't enjoy it, it's one of the best podcasts on football out there I think.
I do enjoy it, don't get me wrong, it's on my podcast rotation. I just think they'd be better off if they had 3 hosts and rotated between them.

I prefer The Rest Is Football, which feels a bit more relaxed. Shearer and Micah Richards seem like a recipe for disaster but they're actually quite good on it and it gives you perspectives from 3 different generations (Lineker/Shearer/Richards), which is nice.

I do enjoy it, don't get me wrong, it's on my podcast rotation. I just think they'd be better off if they had 3 hosts and rotated between them.

I prefer The Rest Is Football, which feels a bit more relaxed. Shearer and Micah Richards seem like a recipe for disaster but they're actually quite good on it and it gives you perspectives from 3 different generations (Lineker/Shearer/Richards), which is nice.
Can't listen to The Rest is Football, Richards is absolutely awful to listen to (the absolute worst "pundit", or whatever he's meant to be, out there, with a ridiculously massive ego). Listened to a lot of the back catalogue this summer when most other podcasts weren't running to fill in runs and stuff, and I absolutely hated it. It's a shame cos Lineker and Shearer are quite good on it, but Richards is genuinely dreadful.

Keane having a dig about the Rideout goal.. he always remembers something to bring up.

Can't listen to The Rest is Football, Richards is absolutely awful to listen to (the absolute worst "pundit", or whatever he's meant to be, out there, with a ridiculously massive ego). Listened to a lot of the back catalogue this summer when most other podcasts weren't running to fill in runs and stuff, and I absolutely hated it. It's a shame cos Lineker and Shearer are quite good on it, but Richards is genuinely dreadful.
Haha fair enough. I don't really like him on TV but don't mind him on the pod.

Oh boy more talk about Utd under Fergie and how it's not like that now.

Honestly this must be a difficult channel to keep up with if you're not a United fan :lol:
I’ve got a mate who’s a Liverpool fan and he’s always whinging about it being a United guest …….but still watches them all and even really liked the Evra one. Which hands down is the best so far.

The way Neville pronounces croissants is honestly vulgar :lol:

I hope it's just a Neville thing, and not a general manc thing.

Honestly this must be a difficult channel to keep up with if you're not a United fan :lol:

I used to be one of those people who said 'too many United guests, let's have a bit of diversity' but honestly, my least favourite episodes have been when they've had non-United guests on like Rafa, JJ Watt etc.

I feel like the show works because of the casual nature of the conversations and banter. The episodes just fall flat when its more serious questions and answers. Scholes' personality is proper dull though, so he probably isn't going to be a good addition for a non-United fan like me, but I would still rather that than Rafa for example, because all the people around the table have some kind of relationship with Scholes and the casual vibes can continue to flow as usual, which is one of the show's biggest selling points.

The way Neville pronounces croissants is honestly vulgar :lol:

I hope it's just a Neville thing, and not a general manc thing.

How does he say it?

Croy-Sants?

My dad used to say it like that and he lived in Salford. Very annoying.

Paul Scholes is such a miserable cnut :lol:
That is one thing I've noticed the more he participates in these kind of podcasts or shows.

What a miserable cnut he's is/has become.

I used to be one of those people who said 'too many United guests, let's have a bit of diversity' but honestly, my least favourite episodes have been when they've had non-United guests on like Rafa, JJ Watt etc.

I feel like the show works because of the casual nature of the conversations and banter. The episodes just fall flat when its more serious questions and answers. Scholes' personality is proper dull though, so he probably isn't going to be a good addition for a non-United fan like me, but I would still rather that than Rafa for example, because all the people around the table have some kind of relationship with Scholes and the casual vibes can continue to flow as usual, which is one of the show's biggest selling points.
I think the JJ Watt one was good but yeah I don't mind having United people on. It is better when it's natural banter and the Rafa one was trash.

Why has he become a Huel and Linkedin wanker too. What's with the internal ads in the video.

Why has he become a Huel and Linkedin wanker too. What's with the internal ads in the video.
Cracks me up how Neville's ad reads are school play level as well.

The bloke has been a talking head on TV for a decade now, how is it possible to be that wooden?

I don't think Scholes comes off as a miserable person. Just seems like a guy who dislikes being the centre of attention. He's a legend for one of the biggest clubs in football, sure, but other than the feet incident, he just seems like an incredibly normal, but introverted person. I think pretty much all of the players that came up with him have said he's always kept to himself, so not much has changed.

Out of an hour long video, pretty much about 8 minutes had to do with Paul Scholes' playing career.

I don't think Scholes comes off as a miserable person. Just seems like a guy who dislikes being the centre of attention. He's a legend for one of the biggest clubs in football, sure, but other than the feet incident, he just seems like an incredibly normal, but introverted person. I think pretty much all of the players that came up with him have said he's always kept to himself, so not much has changed.

Out of an hour long video, pretty much about 8 minutes had to do with Paul Scholes' playing career.
But he keeps doing this stuff, it's not like he'll need the money, so why does he keep doing media work?

Just saw the episode (much better watching it on video rather than listen on Spotify). How does Scholes have a TV career though? Seems to have zero traits for a TV person. I thought he would be the type to definitely go into coaching.

But he keeps doing this stuff, it's not like he'll need the money, so why does he keep doing media work?
Who knows? Keane has also mentioned he doesn't like the attention but keeps doing it.

Wealthier people always push for more money, so could still be that, could be something to do, could be cause they enjoy talking football.

But I never got the impression that he came off as miserable. Just quiet and blunt.

Who knows? Keane has also mentioned he doesn't like the attention but keeps doing it.

Wealthier people always push for more money, so could still be that, could be something to do, could be cause they enjoy talking football.

But I never got the impression that he came off as miserable. Just quiet and blunt.
Keane doesn't like the attention he gets in public but he likes doing the work, I agree Scholes not miserable, he just seems uncomfortable, being quiet is his personality which is what strikes me as a bit odd him doing this stuff

Interesting Scholes saying he loved playing off the left
That kind of blows up the Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes debate if he really means that!

Why did he retire from England so early then? I always thought it was because he resented being pushed out to the left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard, but mainly Lampard as he was last one to become an England regular between the 3 of them.

Why did he retire from England so early then? I always thought it was because he resented being pushed out to the left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard, but mainly Lampard as he was last one to become an England regular between the 3 of them.
He felt his form was crap and he couldn’t be bothered with the travel.

But he also said playing on the left for England was different to Utd cause Sven wasn’t interested in possession

Said that his form for England was bad and he couldn't turn it around. Think he also said he didn't like travelling that much. He didn't seem to care that he played on the left.

Said that his form for England was bad and he couldn't turn it around. Think he also said he didn't like travelling that much. He didn't seem to care that he played on the left.
The travelling was a big part of it and I think he also felt that playing for England would reduce the longevity of his United career

He also said he didn't feel that England had any midfielders that could control the game when he was out wide. Which is correct as lamps and Gerrard who both where top players but not controlling players. They made impacts in the game but never controlled the game

He also said he didn't feel that England had any midfielders that could control the game when he was out wide. Which is correct as lamps and Gerrard who both where top players but not controlling players. They made impacts in the game but never controlled the game
He said he didn’t think he was a controller himself until later in his career

Sky, Super6, Skybet, SkyMobile, Huel, Linkedin, mental health thing (this one is obviously fine). Doing 1M+ views on every episode was bound to attract more ads but a full minute segment is a bit much. At least they're easily skippable.

I get rival fans being disappointed with the heavy United links to guests but familiarity - either through being teammates or opponents (in Carragher and Wright’s cases) - definitely helps the format and conversation flows much easier.

In terms of possible future guests, I’d like to see them invite the following:

• Gareth Southgate to talk about England (there’d be the Keane-Southgate angle from their playing days, although they do get on now)
• Paul Ince to talk about crossing the United-Liverpool divide (he roomed with Wrighty for England whilst Keane, Neville and Carragher all speak highly of him as a player and teammate)
• Paul McGrath (a Villa legend and someone who has a brilliant story to tell)
• Alan Shearer (again, the Keane angle would be box office)
• Tony Adams (Neville really looks up to him and he’d have great chemistry with Wrighty)
• Sol Campbell (England chat would be interesting as well as the Arsenal-Spurs angle)
• Ashley Cole (similar to Campbell but replace Spurs with Chelsea)
• Thierry Henry (surprised he hasn’t appeared already as he has past links to all of the Sky lads), and
• John Terry (I think he’d be a great episode, despite him being far from popular with a lot of rival fans).

I get rival fans being disappointed with the heavy United links to guests but familiarity - either through being teammates or opponents (in Carragher and Wright’s cases) - definitely helps the format and conversation flows much easier.

In terms of possible future guests, I’d like to see them invite the following:

• Gareth Southgate to talk about England (there’d be the Keane-Southgate angle from their playing days, although they do get on now)
• Paul Ince to talk about crossing the United-Liverpool divide (he roomed with Wrighty for England whilst Keane, Neville and Carragher all speak highly of him as a player and teammate)
• Paul McGrath (a Villa legend and someone who has a brilliant story to tell)
• Alan Shearer (again, the Keane angle would be box office)
• Tony Adams (Neville really looks up to him and he’d have great chemistry with Wrighty)
• Sol Campbell (England chat would be interesting as well as the Arsenal-Spurs angle)
• Ashley Cole (similar to Campbell but replace Spurs with Chelsea)
• Thierry Henry (surprised he hasn’t appeared already as he has past links to all of the Sky lads), and
• John Terry (I think he’d be a great episode, despite him being far from popular with a lot of rival fans).
They should get Lineker on

They should get Lineker on
Dalgleish, Wenger and Keegan as Fergie rivals would be interesting and I reckon Helen Chamberlain would be fun

Former United players - Cantona, Robson, Whiteside
Other players - Gazza, Nicholas Bentner so he explain why he thought he was good, Le Tissier to explain why he's crazy, Jay-Jay Okocha

Paul Scholes is such a miserable cnut :lol:
I actually thought he was kind of funny, but he's very, very, very dry. There was a bit during the discussion about the next English manager where Carra was pontificating on what he thought was some sort of nuanced point about Carlisle/Southgate vs. Pep/Klopp (every single English pundit should be banned from speaking about Southgate btw, any criticism of him seems to break their heads and they just start arguing against strawmen), and after all that, Scholes just simply mumbled "yeah, but you'd still rather have Pep wouldn't ya?". To Scholes, football is a very simple game and that can make for boring analysis, but sometimes it really is that simple.

Agreed with the post that said this show works better when there's familiarity/history with the guests; none of these guys are good interviewers in a loose format like this (if there is a format at all). I also think some of the complaints about it being too United-centric are overstated, they talked about Trent for like 30 minutes here. I don't think I need to hear uninformed analysis about Aston Villa from these guys. They have their lane and it's fine.
Yeah the format really isn't suited for any tactical insight into the game, but that's fine and that's not where they're selling it as. Thankfully, any tactical talk is usually cut short, and it's more of a casual chat between friends vibe, which works super well. Carragher really isn't suited to this format, it's so much better without him and with Rooney.
Yup. I disagree with you about Carragher though - don't think he was good on this episode (and Rooney is funny), but I think the show needs one person who at least tries to understand modern football and has some knowledge of the game beyond their own playing career and experiences. Yeah, it's not as smooth with him and he serves as a bit of an antagonist, but imo the show needs someone to occasionally push back against some of the dogmatic thinking of the other three as to how football should be played, particularly Neville.

Boredom? He doesn't strike me as someone with a lot of hobbies outside of football. Easy money must be a factor too I'm sure.
Cracks me up how Neville's ad reads are school play level as well.

The bloke has been a talking head on TV for a decade now, how is it possible to be that wooden?
Looked like he was being held hostage.

I always get the impression Scholars would be fascinating to talk to if handled right and given the opportunity to speak.

I think Carra spoils things with likes of Scholes as he starts dominating discussions if anything is Liverpool related. I sensed Scholsey looking frustrated when the Trent and England discussion happened because Carra just butted in when Scholes was saying something.