The Overlap | Arsenal Must Win & Relegation Talk Begins… | Stick to Football EP 54

What does Howard Webb say at 38 minutes in that gets a laugh?
I think he just says he wants coffee (not water), no idea why it was funny unless he's got booze in there and they are all getting on it in secret :lol:

I think he just says he wants coffee (not water), no idea why it was funny unless he's got booze in there and they are all getting on it in secret :lol:
It's because he said earlier that he was pretending to sip the coffee to delay answering a tough question. Something like that.

Mentioning Alonso broke a rib from that tackle makes the whole situation even worse.

Utterly bizarre decision that day.

80min of nothingness, blabbing about pointless aspects of refereeing that nobody cares about and glancing over the egregious mistakes with a "we missed the mark on that one".
Wright was the only one trying to get some answers and got nothing but empty words.

80min of nothingness, blabbing about pointless aspects of refereeing that nobody cares about and glancing over the egregious mistakes with a "we missed the mark on that one".
Wright was the only one trying to get some answers and got nothing but empty words.

What did you want him to say, imagine he called all his employees fecking useless on a podcast broadcast to 100,000's if not millions of people where is that going to get him in the long run,

It's always annoying Howard Webb always gets referenced as some sort of United biased ref, when if anything he went out of his way to disapprove it.

I really like Rooney in these. Seems like a nice bloke. Howard Webb has that strict teacher / copper vibe though.

He has a good dry sense of humour and is willing to take Keane on unlike Gary and Wrighty. He seems so relaxed that if it doesn't work out in management he should host MoTD or be a main pundit at Sky. Very likeable guy and doesn't take himself too seriously unlike Gary.

It got repeated and stuck despite there being little to no evidence of it.
I remember I was at one game home to Liverpool. We were on top and he bottled sending Johnson off. Not even a mention of it in any press as we won.

That's the thing - United win a game, no-one mentions the decisions against us. Win a tight game with some sort of narrow decision - the whole story is about it.

It got repeated and stuck despite there being little to no evidence of it.
images

It's always annoying Howard Webb always gets referenced as some sort of United biased ref, when if anything he went out of his way to disapprove it.
His record reffing us and Liverpool (his biggest conspiracy theorists).

United:

47 matches (29 wins, 6 draws, 12 losses) 84 yellow cards and 3 reds given to us. 10 penalties awarded to us.

92 yellows given to opponents, 2 reds and 2 penalties awarded to opponents.

Liverpool:

42 matches (18 wins, 8 draws, 16 defeats) 61 yellows and 2 reds given to Liverpool. 8 penalties awarded to them.

81 yellows given to their opponents and 3 red cards. 4 penalties awarded to their opponents.

A disclaimer for those stats should include that we were good at football during that period.

The penalty he (wrongly) gave United that kick started their comeback from 2-0 down to win 5-2 against Spurs in 2009 when United and Liverpool were neck and neck for the title probably kick started the suspicion that he favoured United. I also think he gave them 2 soft penalties when they came from 3 down to draw 3-3 at Chelsea in 2012. However, I'd also say too that if blow big leads like Spurs and Chelsea did in the 2 games I referenced, the ref ought not to be the first port of call for blame.

The episode wasn't very interesting, they spent about 70% of the episode talking about recent decisions as if they were the ultimate barometer of everything related to refereeing, thus completely missing to discuss the systemic issues with the current standards. The affiliations of refs with certain teams was brushed over very quickly (Oliver) and there was no discussion about the most scandalous thing linked to referees in recent times, i.e. the reffing in the Middle East. It's an episode that within 6 months would be completely obsolete.

This is mostly down to the people on the panel just not being very bright, despite their illusions of grandeur, and shows the limits of such a show - it's great when it takes you down the road of nostalgia, or discussing light hearted topics with current or former players/coaches, but not the right forum to go in-depth with the head of PGMOL. Webb, on the other hand, was excellent at handling anything that could have been slightly controversial or spun negatively against refs. Great PR for PGMOL.

The episode wasn't very interesting, they spent about 70% of the episode talking about recent decisions as if they were the ultimate barometer of everything related to refereeing, thus completely missing to discuss the systemic issues with the current standards. The affiliations of refs with certain teams was brushed over very quickly (Oliver) and there was no discussion about the most scandalous thing linked to referees in recent times, i.e. the reffing in the Middle East. It's an episode that within 6 months would be completely obsolete.

This is mostly down to the people on the panel just not being very bright, despite their illusions of grandeur, and shows the limits of such a show - it's great when it takes you down the road of nostalgia, or discussing light hearted topics with current or former players/coaches, but not the right forum to go in-depth with the head of PGMOL. Webb, on the other hand, was excellent at handling anything that could have been slightly controversial or spun negatively against refs. Great PR for PGMOL.
Expected as much and didn't watch it.
I'm not interested in a chummy chat with a referee or getting to know them better.

Webb rang rings round them. Certain questions almost felt like pre-arranged lay ups eg the one suggesting team challenges in US sport (s) which are being trialled. They should have engaged a decent researcher to prepare for Webb but just cause they are pundits they think they can do it off the cuff. Most posters on here would have done a better job challenging Webb.

It is light hearted show but does seek to avoid controversy eg Wright not present when Schmeichel the guest. Will be interesting if they discuss Fergie’s altered role or if there are too many conflicts of interest.

It is light hearted show but does seek to avoid controversy eg Wright not present when Schmeichel the guest. Will be interesting if they discuss Fergie’s altered role or if there are too many conflicts of interest.
Doubt that was on purpose as the two of them play golf together and matey around these days!

And you saw how calm Schmeichel is these days from the way he dealt with Keane on this show.

Saw they were doing an Overlap live and looked at tickets. 60 fecking quid!

Yeah 0 chance I'd pay that. They won't post the live shows anywhere so in that sense your are hoping they would have special guests and a big q&a. But considering how much these guys talk, I don't think I'd need to know anything else

Love Gary bottling it when Roy challenges him about his experience when he got a role with England.