The Overlap | Arsenal Must Win & Relegation Talk Begins… | Stick to Football EP 54

I generally think she’s ok but quite often says weird things

In this one, I’ve no idea what she was trying to say with “you don’t build the attic first when you build a house” or however she said it, when referring to getting a sporting director etc in first

If anything that would be building the basement first. Surely anyone can see that you need the right people in place before you reshape the squad? I wish someone had called her out on that nonsense
yeah agree. they kinda did call her out by everyone ignoring it and moving on to another conversation. Which happens a lot. other than randomly having "bantz" with Keane she struggles to keep with the flow. I quite like her generally but she is lost compared to the juggernauts of keane, wright, nev, rooney, carrager

Whatever.
So you don't agree that some if not most of these players seem pretty weak mentally?? Considering how they almost always capitulate when they concede for example or when it gets a little too tough during the season? Also there seem to be no clear leader in the team either.

Considering your username, I would have thought you come from a generation that would agree with me on this... not trying to generalise, just a theory.

Most of the players will probably end up crying and even going to the media to complain about how "uncle Keany is a meany". With their weak ass mentality.
Then we’d know for sure the ones we have to move on. Standards are at an all time low at the club.

Every single thing I see or hear from players from the golden era just crushes me so much. Was watching Phil Jones on Rio's show and the standards were just so so high. We finished second to city after the Aguero moment & everyone was sick to death with the manager reminding them to not forget the moment. Now we finish 8th & our manager twerks over the fecking cups he won

This is it bro - the crux of the problem. The club, the players and the management are happy with mediocrity. When we were the very best, the Manager, the players, the club wanted nothing but the best. A man like SAF with the career he has had, regrets not having more Champions leagues. These lot all lack the intensity to be the very best. When people with that same attitude are found - they can't cut it.

Every single thing I see or hear from players from the golden era just crushes me so much. Was watching Phil Jones on Rio's show and the standards were just so so high. We finished second to city after the Aguero moment & everyone was sick to death with the manager reminding them to not forget the moment. Now we finish 8th & our manager twerks over the fecking cups he won
It's a completely different situation. Our team hasn't had a sniff of that sort of success in a decade, it's impossible to replicate that sort of standard when trying to get back to that point.

So you don't agree that some if not most of these players seem pretty weak mentally?? Considering how they almost always capitulate when they concede for example or when it gets a little too tough during the season? Also there seem to be no clear leader in the team either.

Considering your username, I would have thought you come from a generation that would agree with me on this... not trying to generalise, just a theory.
That stems from the manager. Those same players who were strong mentally under Sir Alex were a disaster under Moyes. Players who succeeded at Real Madrid with multiple CL's couldn't stand out here. The manager has to manage the mentality of his players and manage the style of play, the tactics, etc. Feed them confidence, belief in how they play that they can get results, and keep going.

That stems from the manager. Those same players who were strong mentally under Sir Alex were a disaster under Moyes. Players who succeeded at Real Madrid with multiple CL's couldn't stand out here. The manager has to manage the mentality of his players and manage the style of play, the tactics, etc. Feed them confidence, belief in how they play that they can get results, and keep going.
There's both parties involved most likely. The manager has to inspire them but you've also had historically good managers and even those couldn't get much out of the squad.

There's both parties involved most likely. The manager has to inspire them but you've also had historically good managers and even those couldn't get much out of the squad.
At some point that stops being true. Shaw might be the only one left that was here under Mou, and Jonny Evans the only one that was here under LvG. Those examples might not be correct, but the point is that the squad has changed a whole lot since we had historically good managers.

Well off course, never said it wasn't down to ETH neither, but we've also seen some of these players be mentally weak under managers like Mourinho (who has a reputation off making players "go to war" for him). So it goes both ways,imo, but yeah can't see ETH being the most motivational manager or charismatic.

Jill is actually pointless and adds next to nothing to the conversations
Yeah that was quite silly. But the bit that really bothered me was when they were talking a bit about City pulling a fast one and she literally says she finds it boring etc

That's exactly what City are banking on. Make it confusing and boring so people don't care. That's why them doing the PR win of coming out first and saying they won when they didn't is important. They just want people like her (she is in the majority though) not understanding it and just shrugging their shoulders

I get it's not a fun topic but don't be dismissive of it. Keane, Rooney and Wright clearly hadn't understood it fully but aren't stupid enough to think it's not important, or at least say it publicly
Jill is great in general and has a good rapport with Keane.

As for the bolded, they were all absolutely shit on this topic - none of them have any real knowledge of the 2 cases (the recent decision and the ongoing 130 charges) and are just spouting massive generalisations with no substance whatsoever. I mean, it's not hard to read a couple of articles and listen to a few podcasts in anticipation for a get-together around coffee and pastries if that's going to be one of the items on the agenda.

Also, I understand why Keane's rant resonated with a lot of people and I appreciate his passion, but his annoyance at board meetings of a publicly listed company (that happens to be one of the football clubs with the biggest media following in the world) being reported in the news has to be one of the most Keane things ever. :lol:

Well off course, never said it wasn't down to ETH neither, but we've also seen some of these players be mentally weak under managers like Mourinho (who has a reputation off making players "go to war" for him). So it goes both ways,imo, but yeah can't see ETH being the most motivational manager or charismatic.
Mourinho had that reputation, and it ended after his last title win for Chelsea. Since then, sacked after being bottom half, did alright at United before his inevitable collapse, the failure at spurs, Roma, now Fenerbahce... Football has just moved on past Mourinho and we had him as it was moving on where City just had a better manager in Pep.

They're all no doubt under instruction from Sky not to harp on about City as it damages the product.
The media reporting of the case this week shows who is who. Sky were one of the outlets who reported that City won. That tells you everything. There is zero doubt that what you said is true.

I have a very clear belief that Carragher probably got a massive dressing down from Sky for his argument about City on that fan segment, which, all things considered, was valid.

They clearly have been told to avoid or behave neutrally on the topic. I very much refuse to believe Wright, Keane or even Rooney would not share scathing criticism on City if they could.

Most of the players will probably end up crying and even going to the media to complain about how "uncle Keany is a meany". With their weak ass mentality.
and they'll just be letting us all know they can't cut it

I think Keane would be good for a clear-out if the squad and club. Not sure about ship steadying, but if you want to burn it to the ground and start again then I think he would be the man. For all that he’s emotional I think he’d be pragmatic when it comes to squad building.

I think most of our ex-players would end up like Shearer managing Newcastle.

Ole was different because he was an experienced league winning manager. Keane's been out of the management game for a while too.

They're all no doubt under instruction from Sky not to harp on about City as it damages the product.
Neville (same as Rio in his podcasts) is doing his best to not ruin relationship with United. They both always talk about United in gloves.
Like them or not, Scholes and Keane say what they really mean (unless manager is Solskjaer :)).

The idea of having him around the training ground to set standards and murder those who dont meet them is attractive. But i think its kind of leaning into a caricature of Keane which just isn't an accurate portrayal of who he is. Not sure the players respond to it either.
Its a nice idea but i wouldn't be desperate to see how it would work out.

Keane doesn't have the temperament for any coaching role at any major club or national side. The moment it goes array, is the moment he can no longer fall back on his 'pashon' .
I think his management and coaching performances very much indicate his deficiencies in these roles.

And the idea that players couldn't live with Keane's straight talking is, frankly, utter rubbish/bollocks.
Lets not forget that these players have worked under, arguably, some of the most driven, determined, egotistical and orally direct managers/coaches in the game.
Trust me, they could very much handle Keane's directness.

So, outside of that, what can Keane really offer ?
It'll be a pointless exercise long-term and it'll be just pure indulgence towards the fans.

Anyway, we've been here before. Keane has been to Carrington, under Ole, had a talk/meeting with the players and nothing came of it.

Nah, it's not Sky. It's them not wanting to keep it light/assume their audiences are dumb - but also quite frankly I don't think they understand it themselves. Carragher may have tried to though

Also I don't think Sky own The Overlap, think it's just Neville's company. Rio for example can't do anything for Sky whilst with TNT/BT from what I understand

The suggestions about keane stepping in manager of united to "sort out" the players is pure stupidity, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face, do these people forget keane really is not a good manager and the harsh treatment of players just creates a toxic atmosphere.

Our fanbase can be really weird and live far to back in the past sometimes.

If you want to go down the ex united route, at least give it to someone decent like carrick for example.

The suggestions about keane stepping in manager of united to "sort out" the players is pure stupidity, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face, do these people forget keane really is not a good manager and the harsh treatment of players just creates a toxic atmosphere.

Our fanbase can be really weird and live far to back in the past sometimes.

If you want to go down the ex united route, at least give it to someone decent like carrick for example.

Yeah it's utterly absurd. I turned off this episode the moment Wright, in all earnestness, started talking about Keane as an interim. He was a poor manager and his ideas on football are as antiquated as they come.

I struggle to understand fans who could wish for him, or even Ole to be manager again.

Yeah it's utterly absurd. I turned off this episode the moment Wright, in all earnestness, started talking about Keane as an interim. He was a poor manager and his ideas on football are as antiquated as they come.

I struggle to understand fans who could wish for him, or even Ole to be manager again.
Nostalgia/ stuck in the past.

These would also probably be the same fans that at the same time hated the idea of a manager like Diego simeone (another hard case) who has actually won things at the top level being our manager

I could certainly see Keane in an assistant role. Keeping the daily focus on that drive for improvement and excellence, insisting on high standards, no excuses allowed etc

Not sure he suits the modern head coach role as I'd worry about him burning too many bridges with modern players, I wouldn't want him with free reign. I think you'd need someone above him to keep him in check. I know he's spoken fondly of working with O'Neill in an assistant role but tbh I don't know how well that went on the pitch as I don't follow Ireland

I don't get Jill Scott. And it isn't a gender thing. She just seems to grind the show's momentum to a halt as soon as she interjects. She doesn't really share the same experience as the rest of them, or the guests they have on. And that's fine, she could compensate for that by being a good contributor, but she's sadly not.

The questions she asks when they've a guest on and they're probing them on their career in a rough chronological order and Neville feels bad that Jill hasn't spoken in a while so he brings her in and she asks something like "So how did you become like totally brilliant like?"

Nah, it's not Sky. It's them not wanting to keep it light/assume their audiences are dumb - but also quite frankly I don't think they understand it themselves. Carragher may have tried to though

Also I don't think Sky own The Overlap, think it's just Neville's company. Rio for example can't do anything for Sky whilst with TNT/BT from what I understand
I don't know if they "own" it, but Sky Bet sponsors the show as repeated about 5 times by the pre-recorded Neville message throughout each episode.

It was a very strange one, cos Keane obviously didn't want to talk about it, and kept saying "they wouldn't ask me", and Wright kept probing - I mean, what's the point? It's like asking you how you'd decorate your house if you were living on Mars. Utterly pointless.

The suggestion that Keane could have any sort of positive impact at Utd is ridiculous and is a good example of how limited a lot of the punditry is.

I don't know if they "own" it, but Sky Bet sponsors the show as repeated about 5 times by the pre-recorded Neville message throughout each episode.

Yeah but SkyBet isn't owned by Sky either, owned by Flutter I think. Sky sold it years ago

So technically it is obviously in some way affiliated to Sky through brand association/people involved but it's a separate company altogether otherwise you can bet your last penny Sky would have shoved it on their channels

I really like Rooney in these. Seems like a nice bloke. Howard Webb has that strict teacher / copper vibe though.