The Nani Goal

Fred, to take you up on your 'all the players thought it was a freekick' bollocks, there wasn't a United player in the shot who wasn't urging Nani to put the ball in the net!!!

Redknapp confirmed in his BBC post match interview that Clattenberg told him he'd played advantage. He then bleated about why the player hadn't been booked, just as Fred has here. There is no rule stating he has to be booked, and its completely irrelevant to the fact the ball was still in play, and Gomes is a tool. A yard cheating tool at that

In which case Clattenberg is to blame.

He made no attempt to signal to the linesman or the other players that he had seen the handball but was allowing play to continue.

Given most United players didnt realise thats what he was doing, then its clear IF he was playing the advantage he hadn't made it clear.

He made no attempt to signal to the linesman or the other players that he had seen the handball but was allowing play to continue.

Given most United players didnt realise thats what he was doing, then its clear IF he was playing the advantage he hadn't made it clear.

Look again by seeing the referee's arms, you will see he is clearly playing advantage.

Yeh, about that last sentence... look a couple of posts higher up the page Fred. Absolute horsecrap

A pretty clear indication to everyone that play was being allowed to continue was perhaps him running down the field, having not blown his whistle, and gesturing for Gomes to get on with it

Perhaps?

Spot on.

No problems whatsoever with Clattenberg. In fact he deserves credit for his decision. He was 100% spot on.

The problem arises in the build up to the goal.

The fact Nani wasnt given a penalty in no way excuses him handling the ball, and does not negate the fact a free kick should have been given.

The blame for it not being given rests with the linesman who could and should have drawn the referees attention to it.

Even if the referee was playing an advantage ( which there is not one scrap of evidence to suggest that was the case ) the linesman should still have raised his flag.

How many times have blatant fouls or infirngements taken place just before goals are scored ... It happens all the time ...

Cheating is nearly an every game occurrence at this stage

Advantage, in your own penalty area. Righto Mark. Well done.

84 minute and Spurs losing 1-0. Had Gomes picked up the ball and launched an attack, no one would've complained.

YouTube - Controversial Nani Goal VS Tottenham Hotspur (Saturday 30th October 2010)

If you look the ONLY person barring Scholes who made any effort to carry on playing was Nani.

You clearly see the other players pointing signalling that Gomez was bringing the ball too far up the pitch and that the free kick was further back

You can even see Fletcher beckoning Nani to come back.

At the point that Nani handles the ball, Clattenburg is facing Scholes and clearly talking to him so would not have seen the handball.

Then later on in the clip you see Clattenburn shrugging his shoulders after being spoken to by a Spurs player.

Chicarito is making absolutely no effort whatsoever to go for the ball and is walking back as if to suggest play has stopped and barring Scholes, every other player is heading back towards Uniteds own half.

Spurs had been counter-attacking from their keeper's distribution for the whole game until that point.

But yeah okay, it was better to have a freekick from within your own 6 yard box. It wasnt even as advanced as a goalkick.

YouTube - Controversial Nani Goal VS Tottenham Hotspur (Saturday 30th October 2010)

If you look the ONLY person barring Scholes who made any effort to carry on playing was Nani.

You clearly see the other players pointing signalling that Gomez was bringing the ball too far up the pitch and that the free kick was further back

At the point that Nani handles the ball, Clattenburg is facing Scholes and clearly talking to him so would not have seen the handball.

Then later on in the clip you see Clattenburn shrugging his shoulders after being spoken to by a Spurs player.

Chicarito is making absolutely no effort whatsoever to go for the ball and is walking back as if to suggest play has stopped.

Watch Clattenberg, he clearly gestures the ball is live after not blowing the whistle, unless you haven't noticed that two arms out is the signal to play on.

Oh and if its so blatantly obvious the ref is playing an advantage, why is not ONE spurs player facing their keeper who has the ball ?

Rio's take on it:

Handball but the Ref didn't blow so how can it be a free kick?? If its a free kick why did Gomez put the ball 10yards away from incident??

By the way I went over to the referee just 2 clarify that he never blew his whistle for anything,I never swore so what's all the fuss about?

Linesman was saying it was handball, ref never gave it. Play on....

All a u askin what I said 2 gallas I told him if they had scored when the ball went out 1st half would they say NO GOAL the ball was out? NO

Spurs had been counter-attacking from their keeper's distribution for the whole game until that point.

Right - it was even a comment made by the match announcers earlier that both keepers were looking to get their team on the front foot soon as possible. Why if Gomez thought a foul was given did he think he could take the freekick some 15 yards ahead of where it took place?

For me watching the whole thing again, he played on, laid the ball down to hoof it forward but, didn't see an option and he is busy telling one of his players something and Nani comes into the frame and at that point he know he has fecked up.

This will be just like when we won 5-2. Nevermind we scored 4 goals after the penalty call but, the ref gave us the game, ignoring we were 1-0 up. Everton showed you can still score 2 goals against us in the closing minutes but, Spurs didn't even try. That's their own fault.

Watch Clattenberg, he clearly gestures the ball is live after not blowing the whistle, unless you haven't noticed that two arms out is the signal to play on.

I dont know what drugs you are taking but its clearly having an effect on you.

The only clip where you see Clattenberg raising his arms is right at the end and its as clear as day that he's shrugging his shoulders.

Chicarito is making absolutely no effort whatsoever to go for the ball and is walking back as if to suggest play has stopped and barring Scholes, every other player is heading back towards Uniteds own half.

Hang on Fred

Scholes clearly indicates Nani should put the ball in the net, no contest on that one

Fletcher stands there initially gesturing for Nani to come back... and the second he gets to the ball, points to indicate he should stick it in the net. He even has a quick glance towards the ref as it happens. Nothing to do with a free kick, you've made that up

There's another player, think its Park, at the bottom of the shot giving the exact same gesture

The only player in shot doing nothing is Hernandez, who doesn't seem to be paying any attention whatsoever. Why would his actions suggest a free kick was given though? When do you ever see a striker 'sprinting back' there?

ten seconds on google shows me this.

Which is the signal for advantage, does it look familiar from that goal?

and a quick google also finds this

shrug.jpg

Which is shrugging shoulders.

Hang on Fred

Scholes clearly indicates Nani should put the ball in the net, no contest on that one

Fletcher stands there initially gesturing for Nani to come back... and the second he gets to the ball, points to indicate he should stick it in the net. He even has a quick glance towards the ref as it happens. Nothing to do with a free kick, you've made that up

There's another player, think its Park, at the bottom of the shot giving the exact same gesture

The only player in shot doing nothing is Hernandez, who doesn't seem to be paying any attention whatsoever. Why would his actions suggest a free kick was given though? When do you ever see a striker 'sprinting back' there?

They are signalling to the ref that Gomez is too far up the pitch you muppet.

If they thought the ball is in play they wouldnt be telling him to shoot whilst walking back to their own half would they.

FFS

One thing is clear from these 12 pages of debate...

This is far from a clear cut injustice. If anything it's one for "You Are the Ref".

And yet, no doubt, plenty will try and paint it as a disgraceful example of incompetent refereeing, just like that Carrick penalty.

They are signalling to the ref that Gomez is too far up the pitch you muppet.

If they thought the ball is in play they wouldnt be telling him to shoot whilst walking back to their own half would they.

FFS

:lol: They'd be turned looking at the ref bleating at him that Gomes had the ball in the wrong spot

You're seeing what you want to see. Fletcher's gesture is clearly for Nani to come back, but the second he reaches the ball his gesture changes, pretty fecking clear. They're all still making their gestures as Nani is on the ball too

It's fairly clear that advantage is being played or that you should play on if the ref doesn't give a free kick. I thought that was obvious.

One thing is clear from these 12 pages of debate...

This is far from a clear cut injustice. If anything it's one for "You Are the Ref".

And yet, no doubt, plenty will try and paint it as a disgraceful example of incompetent refereeing, just like that Carrick penalty.

It wasnt incompetent refereering. In fact completely the opposite, it was a very good piece of refereeing..

What makes things like this look stupid is when you get idiots trying to claim that because we didnt get a penalty, then handling the ball was OK and made the whole saga a perfectly fair and reasonable goal.

What makes it more stupid is people making out that it was all Gomez fault.

You clearly see three players pointing before Nani even reaches the ball, signalling that they think hes encroaching up the pitch. But they being so stupid take that as them saying Nani should shoot.

That goal was a joke. A complete joke. And not deserved. If it had happened against us those same people would be screaming from the rooftops.

We got a lucky goal we shoudlnt have had, and didnt deserve. Good fortune on our part.

But there is no justification for that goal whatsoever. It should not have been allowed to happen and those that cant see any wrong are idiots who think that you are not a United fan if you dont defend it to the hilt.

For me it was a major feck up by the referee and his assistant obviously.
Firstly they didn't give a penalty, they didn't see Nani's handball

:lol: They'd be turned looking at the ref bleating at him that Gomes had the ball in the wrong spot

You're seeing what you want to see. Fletcher's gesture is clearly for Nani to come back, but the second he reaches the ball his gesture changes, pretty fecking clear. They're all still making their gestures as Nani is on the ball too

They are signalling before Nani even reaches the ball you dope...

Look at Scholes pointing before he even moves. Likewise Park is actually walking back towards his own half and pointing.

Its not me thats seeing what they want to see. Its you.

The typical shit you get on here.. Oh its United so we'll twist it any way we can to make it suit....

erm.. look at where Scholes is stood when Nani gets to the ball..

He's there talking to Clattenberg..

Jesus... fecking H christ..

It wasnt incompetent refereering. In fact completely the opposite, it was a very good piece of refereeing..

What makes things like this look stupid is when you get idiots trying to claim that because we didnt get a penalty, then handling the ball was OK and made the whole saga a perfectly fair and reasonable goal.

What makes it more stupid is people making out that it was all Gomez fault.

You clearly see three players pointing before Nani even reaches the ball, signalling that they think hes encroaching up the pitch. But they being so stupid take that as them saying Nani should shoot.

That goal was a joke. A complete joke. And not deserved. If it had happened against us those same people would be screaming from the rooftops.

We got a lucky goal we shoudlnt have had, and didnt deserve. Good fortune on our part.

But there is no justification for that goal whatsoever. It should not have been allowed to happen and those that cant see any wrong are idiots who think that you are not a United fan if you dont defend it to the hilt.

Sorry mate, but your point is so convoluted I'm going to have to give up here. It sounds like you're totally contradicting yourself...

I would agree with you that the goal was legitimate but lucky, but I don't then get the "It should not have been allowed to happen". Who by? The ref? Spurs? Our players? The Authorities?

Are you basically saying that the laws were implemented correctly, but the las is an ass?

The fact that it was freaky and lucky doesn't make it in some way imoral.

The ref didn't give it, so he should either have given a free kick for diving or a free kick for handball.

Instead, he rightly just waved on play giving Spurs the advantage of all the time in the world on the ball and the only player close was Nani miles behind Gomes whinging and lying on the deck.

So they kept on looking for this "freekick" instead of getting on with it and Nani got up and said to himself "lololol why have I got the ball here, I'll check with the ref it's all legit, oh yes thanks ref nobody going to try and stop me? Ok I'll put it in the back of the net.".

Something like that.

Sorry mate, but your point is so convoluted I'm going to have to give up here. It sounds like you're totally contradicting yourself...

I would agree with you that the goal was legitimate but lucky, but I don't then get the "It should not have been allowed to happen". Who by? The ref? Spurs? Our players? The Authorities?

Are you basically saying that the laws were implemented correctly, but the las is an ass?

He does say the Referee was correct, but the linesman was wrong and Spurs players weren't to blame. Since Ref overruled the linesman, Linesman is not also at fault I'd presume, leaving the blame to be on Nani.

Then he changed to Referee was wrong. Either way, Fred's a shape shifter, the nifty bastard. It's a miracle he hasn't blamed our debt yet.

Let me put it more simply.. ( christ this is hard work )

The ref ( as he saw it ) applied the laws and he did it spot on. His decision was spot on given the information he had.

However, it was a blatant handball. There should have been a free kick given, which wasnt. From that confusion we scored.

We got lucky but we did not deserve that goal, and its a goal that we should not have been awarded if we apply the same standards that we expect in every game.

Just because a decision went our way it doesnt make that decision right, nor does it mean we deserved it. It means we got lucky.

Spurs have every right to feel aggrieved, as everyone of us would be if that had happened to us.

I just happen to have the dignity to appreciate when we get lucky and dont parade around trying to justify bad decisions just because they go our way. I respect the fact we benefitted from something that we didn't deserve

He does say the Referee was correct, but the linesman was wrong and Spurs players weren't to blame. Since Ref overruled the linesman, Linesman is not also at fault I'd presume, leaving the blame to be on Nani.

Then he changed to Referee was wrong. Either way, Fred's a shape shifter, the nifty bastard. It's a miracle he hasn't blamed our debt yet.

if Clattenberg saw the handball then he was wrong.

If however, as I suggest he didnt see the handball then he was 100% correct.

Given he could clearly be seen on the TV telling Gomez, at the end of the game "I didnt see it " then I would suggest that he was saying he hadn't seen the handball and thus hadn't blown the whistle for that very reason.

Why is everyone having such a problem with the idea that Clattenberg just happened to miss the handball and thus Nani benefitted from him missing it.

It does United fans no favours running around trying to justify what isnt there.

Clattenberg missed the handball. Fair enough. shit happens. We got lucky.

But at least have the sense to realise that we got lucky...

if Clattenberg saw the handball then he was wrong.

If however, as I suggest he didnt see the handball then he was 100% correct.

Given he could clearly be seen on the TV telling Gomez, at the end of the game "I didnt see it " then I would suggest that he was saying he hadn't seen the handball and thus hadn't blown the whistle for that very reason.

Why is everyone having such a problem with the idea that Clattenberg just happened to miss the handball and thus Nani benefitted from him missing it.

It does United fans no favours running around trying to justify what isnt there.

Clattenberg missed the handball. Fair enough. shit happens. We got lucky.

But at least have the sense to realise that we got lucky...

There's no need to justify Nani's goal. It's a perfectly good goal, and a major cock up by Gomez. Get over yourself.

They are signalling before Nani even reaches the ball you dope...

Look at Scholes pointing before he even moves. Likewise Park is actually walking back towards his own half and pointing.

Its not me thats seeing what they want to see. Its you.

The typical shit you get on here.. Oh its United so we'll twist it any way we can to make it suit....

Erm, watch it again Fred

No one points until Gomes has put the ball down

You're either blind or you're lying, bizarre when the evidence is there for all to see

There's nothing to twist! If this was Van Der Sar and its Robbie Keane tucking the ball home, I'd be criticising Edwin for not playing to the whistle. This sheep argument is boring, and palpably untrue as proven on the many occasions I and many others have clearly shown non tinted perspective on incidents. The goal is legitimate, this has been pointed out over and over

Right lets put this in timeline order.

Nani handles ball - Free kick should be awarded. Linesman sees it but doesn't flag.

Goalie thinks free kick has been given. - so puts ball on floor

Nani gets up, realises play is still going on so shoots and scores - Still no flag from the linesman.

Spurs players complain - Linesman THEN decides to flag

The actual penalty shout is irrelevant in all of it. The ref had not awarded the penalty so the first offence committed is Nani handling the ball.

The linesman has seen it but makes no effort to notify the referee. He makes the fatal assumption that the ref had seen it.

The linesman is to blame for the free kick not being given. Which then led to Gomez' mistake.

But the ultimate blame for that free kick not being given lies with the linesman.

Everything before and after is irrelevant.

You're making a bigger meal of this than Gomez.

There was no free kick, just like there was no penalty. Clattenburg awarded neither.

So using the same logic you use above, everything before Gomez threw the ball down and Nani slotted it into the net was irrelevant.