The Nani Goal

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

What is it the commentators don't understand?

Clattenburg didn't spot the handball by Nani, or just ignored it like referees often do when players fall down and try to grab the ball, and thus play hadn't stopped.

I had money on Nani to score and United to score twice, so I'm not complaining :lol:

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

What are you talking about? The freekick wasn't given to Spurs. Sure it was wrong of Clattenbrug not to give the freekick, but it was Spurs own decision to stop play and pretend the referee had given them a freekick.

Clattenburg will be hoping for a glass of wine with SAF after the match

What are you talking about? The freekick wasn't given to Spurs. Sure it was wrong of Clattenbrug not to give the freekick, but it was Spurs own decision to stop play and pretend the referee had given them a freekick.

The strangest thing about it is the way the linesman obviously thought it was a foul, and hence put his flag up. It's all very well saying play to the whistle, but the officials weren't all singing from the same hymn sheet. It's what more bitter supporters would call an Old Trafford decision.

Whaah

Actually I think the ref. was right. Nani handed the ball, the linesman spotted it, the ref. didn't or did but gave the advantage for Tottenham .

The linesman was telling the ref. that Nani handed the ball, but since the ref. waved play on with Tottenham and Gomes already having the ball, he couldn't back from that decision I presume. It's like giving the advantage for the team only for this team to screw it up immediately.

Harsh for Tottenham and Gomes, but I think the goal stands according to the book.

The strangest thing about it is the way the linesman obviously thought it was a foul, and hence put his flag up. It's all very well saying play to the whistle, but the officials weren't all singing from the same hymn sheet. It's what more bitter supporters would call an Old Trafford decision.

After the decisions your team has gotten this season....all I can say is....

Shut it you wanker.

Gomes clearly at fault. No whistle, although one can argue that there should have been one.

'In keeping with this fixture Tottenham don't just lose in normal fashion, they lose is agonising fashion'

Jon Champion, the cretin.

The real feck up in that sequence of events was not giving a pen when Nani was blatantly hauled back in the box. Yer man had hold of him with both frigging hands ffs.

If Clattenburg got that right he'd have saved himself a real headache.

Oh and lol. Just lol.

:D

The linesman thought correctly it was a handball .

Shocking game by Clattenberg and the lino for

1. Not giving the penalty
2. Not spotting the handball by Nani
3. Looking like utter spastics on the pitch today

I felt the goal erred a bit on the unsporting side. But we were owed a penalty anyway, so it evens out.

Hopefully someone posts MOTD here later on.

I think we can put you in that category seeing as you just mentioned it.

It's one of the most basic things you learn in football - play to the whistle.

Ridiculous goal of course. Should have been a peno to Nani in any case.

Sorry but in the replay ESPN showed Clattenburg was looking at the incident all the way and was indicating with his arms to get on with it. Goalkeepers fault for assuming a free kick had been given when there hadn't been. As it is should have been a penalty first off for the tug on Nani's shirt.

C'mon Spurs, sing it all together:

'You're just a shit Michael Jackson!'

Clattenburg was watching. He was looking directly at it at is constantly waving the play on.

It was clearly a Spurs free as Nani dived and then handled the ball (after the initial contact). Spurs had the ball, the referee waved play on. He continued to wave play on. Gomes then puts it on the ground, stupidly, and Nani kicks it in.

The only grounds Spurs can have for arguing is
a) did they have the advantage after Gomes puts the ball on the ground (which is his fault anyway, so why should they keep the advantage)
or
b) they could argue it was unsporting play by Nani.

It's one or the other. By the letter of the law, the goal should stand.

What the feck was the linesman disallowing it for? Why didn't the linesman put his flag up for the 10 seconds between the time Nani handled the ball and Nani kicking it in.

Nothing wrong with it. Ref allowed Spurs to play on, Gomes can't just decide when it is or isn't a free kick.

Champion & Waddle are absolute wankers. It was a fecking goal get over it you cnuts.

It is a harsh goal, but first it should have been a penalty and then it should have been a freekick for the handball by Nani. Neither were given, the ball is not dead, Gomes cocked up and Nani scored. What is so hard to understand?? It's a bit unfair, but according to the rules, the referee did not stop the game and Nani rightfully scored.

The real feck up in that sequence of events was not giving a pen when Nani was blatantly hauled back in the box. Yer man had hold of him with both frigging hands ffs.

This is going to get ignored over and over again when we're called lucky by bitter spastic the next couple of days.

Then how come he just caved in to Clattenburg's decision when he came over to discuss it?

This:

Actually I think the ref. was right. Nani handed the ball, the linesman spotted it, the ref. didn't or did but gave the advantage for Tottenham .

The linesman was telling the ref. that Nani handed the ball, but since the ref. waved play on with Tottenham and Gomes already having the ball, he couldn't back from that decision I presume. It's like giving the advantage for the team only for this team to screw it up immediately.

Harsh for Tottenham and Gomes, but I think the goal stands according to the book.

I think we can put you in that category seeing as you just mentioned it.

It's one of the most basic things you learn in football - play to the whistle.

Ridiculous goal of course. Should have been a peno to Nani in any case.

Well you thoroughly deserved to win the game in any case, no doubt about that. The penalty could well have been given as well, but it's one of them where unfortunately for Nani his reputation has gone before him. So yeh, basically you can argue that United could well have had a goal from it anyway.

I just thought the goal was ridiculous. Once you rule it out, to actually overturn the decision was scandalous. Just give Spurs a free-kick and play on. Neither side would have complained about that.

:lol:

It was bizarre. Either way one of those incidents had to be given. The penalty or the goal. I'm glad that justice prevailed in the end by controversial circumstances though!

We are gonna get a lot of stick for this though. The conspiracy theorists will be out in force tonight.

No free kick was given. Hence as soon gomes put the ball down it was live.
Its an embarrasing goal to score as it it is to concede but really the ref had no choice.

Its actually the linesman that has made the ref look bad by trying to disallow the goal. Surely at least the linesman should know that the ref has played advantage.

Clattenburg didn't blow his whistle so play never stopped. The assistant's flag is meaningless as the ball was always active.

Gomes is at fault for dropping the ball on the floor and Nani punished this mistake.

I'd be upset if we conceded to a goal like that as Nani stopped the ball with his hand.

Oh and Jon Champion is a wanker, reeling off the "injustices" that have happened to Tottenham in this fixture over the years. Such an irritating voice.

The ball was active. Gomes rolled it out to take a freekick he hadn't been given, so Nani kicked in the goal. Perfectly fair.

The funniest part is that the two ESPN commentators are gutted. Jon Champion said seven or eight times that the ref had a "get out" when he talked to his linesman, and didn't take it. Waddle even went so far as to claim that Nani should have been booked for his dive, even though it was a blatant penalty.

I think the commentators genuinely believe that a freekick had been given, that Gomes went to take it and Nani just walked up and kicked it in the net. The referee wasn't looking and therefore gave the goal even though his linesman has said it wasn't a goal. The fact that he actually spoke with his linesman means he must be deaf if that's the case - the linesman would have said "they didn't get a chance to take the freekick", he'd have booked Nani and play would have moved on. That he ignored the linesman suggests that it wasn't a freekick at all.