The Manchester Title Race

So if City lose tonight we're champions? (Assuming we beat Wigan)

Anyone seen Martin Samuels pick out of mixing united and city's squads? Somehow he has phil jones partnering toure in midfield, with carrick and scholes on the bench.

It was a stupid nonsense article from Mark Ogden I believe. Think he had nothing to write about for the Saturday so he decided to let everyone know something that we all knew anyway. Unfortunately now it's been twisted and people believe it could of been possible in the first place.

Why do people keep saying that someone has decided the title won't be awarded at the council house?

The trophy is never handed over away from home unless it is won on the last day of the season. (like Wigan away in '08). If we won the title tomorrow (hypothetical, I know we can't) the trophy wouldn't be awarded there and then, or even at home to Villa on Sunday. It'd be awarded after the last home game of the season. (Swansea)

Just thought I'd clear that up. Move along.

I'm pretty sure it would be lifted in the first home game after it is won. Has it not happened before?

I'm pretty sure it would be lifted in the first home game after it is won. Has it not happened before?

Off the top of my head, we won the title in 2001 with 5/6 games to go but weren't awarded the trophy until our last home game against Derby, I think. And a quick google says in 2000 we won the title with 5/6 games to go too but weren't awarded the trophy until our last home game against Spurs.

2011 - We won it away to Blackburn, trophy awarded at OT on the last day of the season against Blackburn.

2009 - We won it with a 0-0 draw at home to Arsenal. Trophy awarded that day as it was our last home game.

2008 - We won it away to Wigan. Trophy awarded that day as it was the last day of the season.

2007 - We beat City away. Chelsea didn't beat Arsenal the next day giving us the title, which was awarded on the last day of the season at home to West Ham.

2003 - Title was won whilst we weren't playing before the last game of the season. Presentation took place away to Everton.

2001 and 2000 I did already.

1999 - We won it at home to Spurs. Title awarded that day.

1997 - ???

1996 - Won it away to Middlesbrough on the last day of the season.

1994 - ???

1993 - Presentation was at home, can't remember who against, but I presume it was the last home game of the season.

If we win the league, the trophy will be presented either at the Swansea home game or the Sunderland away game if it goes that far...

So if City lose tonight we're champions? (Assuming we beat Wigan)

If we have 8 point gap and 2 games or less to play, we are Champions

When we have 11 point gap and 3 games or less left to play, we are Champions, not before.

When we have 14 point gap with 3 games or less left to play, we are Champions, not before

In the unlikely event that we have only 5 point gap with two games to play, we would not be official Champions yet.

In the unlikely event that we have only 5 point gap with two games to play (...)
It's not that unlikely, is it? City is not in very good form, but they're still favorites in both the away games they are to play before the derby. And tonight it's a home game against WBA! So if we say that both teams get the same amount of points before the derby, and we lose there, it's a five points gap. And that's not really very unlikely.

It's not that unlikely, is it? City is not in very good form, but they're still favorites in both the away games they are to play before the derby. And tonight it's a home game against WBA! So if we say that both teams get the same amount of points before the derby, and we lose there, it's a five points gap. And that's not really very unlikely.

Have some faith though, because you can't really judge the City team from looking at their previous games before April, (pressure, point gap, GD being overtaken etc....) whereas United ALWAYS know how to cope with pressure. :)

To be honest, if the situation is the other way round (that is we are 8 point behind), I would still have faith in United catching up, rather than giving up. City players, manager and fans already gave up partly because they don't trust themselves any more in overcoming United.

Conclusion: we won't drop points as many as City in the remaining 6 games, so the gap will either remain or widen. :)

In all fairness to City. They have a good season being second with a record points. Losing to United should never be considered a failure. Their club, their fans should be proud of themselves having come this far. :)

Failure is those who slipped from the "top four battle" to 8th place on the table. lol

1993 - Presentation was at home, can't remember who against, but I presume it was the last home game of the season.

Blackburn, won 3-1 after great free kicks from the usual suspects Giggs and Pally... :smirk:

Have some faith though, because you can't really judge the City team from looking at their previous games before April, (pressure, point gap, GD being overtaken etc....) whereas United ALWAYS know how to cope with pressure. :)

To be honest, if the situation is the other way round (that is we are 8 point behind), I would still have faith in United catching up, rather than giving up. City players, manager and fans already gave up partly because they don't trust themselves any more in overcoming United.

Conclusion: we won't drop points as many as City in the remaining 6 games, so the gap will either remain or widen. :)

Its about momentum tho isnt it. The size of the gap is one part of it, but the mood you would be feeling if the boot where on the other foot would depend on what direction the gap is moving in. If it is widening every game then you would probably be feeling pretty pessimistic. I dont know you from a bar of soap but I suspect many people would have written off the title if we were in City's shoes. Whereas if it was down to 8 points and 6 games but the gap had been closed from say 15 points in 10 games, then you would think game on, anything is possible.

At the end of the day City, and their title bid, are spent. I really dont think I will be jinxing it by voicing my expectation that they will drop a shit load more points for the remainder of the season because they are depressed, tired, angry with each other and wholly lacking in any motivation, by the looks of it.

The longer we go without dropping points, the more deflated City become. That's why I think tonight's match is the most important out of the next three. We don't want to send City to their toughest match at Norwich with any renewed optimism.

If we win tonight and they fail to win at the weekend (I'm writing West Brom off tonight), then I'm getting on the phone to book Susan Boyle because we'll have two home matches to wrap the league up before they play again.

A City win is a given tonight - they will go back to winning ways, be sure of that.

Pressure's back on us should they cut the lead to five points tonight!

I am really nervous about this race. There are a lot of pundits and fans - including this forum - talking as if we have already won it. As mentioned above, one bad result for us and suddenly is becomes a little more complicated. Also, it would be so embarrassing if we lost it from the position we are in now.
The only thing that gives me confidence is that we have SAF and players who've done this before. I hope they don't let up, and I hope Fergie doesn't let them get complacent. We just need to win the games we should be winning.

The longer we go without dropping points, the more deflated City become. That's why I think tonight's match is the most important out of the next three. We don't want to send City to their toughest match at Norwich with any renewed optimism.

If we win tonight then there's no chance City will beat Norwich. It's really as simple as this: win tonight, and we win the league.

If we win tonight then there's no chance City will beat Norwich. It's really as simple as this: win tonight, and we win the league.

I don't understand the logic. Norwich are playing great, but saying there's no chance even if we win tonight, doesn't quite make sense. I want to be wrong too.

I don't understand the logic. Norwich are playing great, but saying there's no chance even if we win tonight, doesn't quite make sense. I want to be wrong too.

I think he meant that the closer to the end of season, if the gap is still 8 poitns, the mountain is just too much for City to climb. Like someone said above, which I agree, if there are still 10 games to get 30 points, hopes are still there no matter how deflated you become.

But after tonight, there were only so many points you can gain with just 5 games, and City is up against a resilient team like United. Hope is fading and it's hard for them to beat Norwich.

I know some people think fans like me are taking it for granted we already won it. The opposite is true in fact if I am honest. I have been so nervous I couldn't function properly all day without thinking of the game tonight.... When someone said the pressure's on us because if we don't go on and win it having been in such a favourable position, it gives me even more pressure to say the least. It's terrifying if you ask me!

Last game was a title decider for me, but then when today comes, this game becomes a title decider again. I am as nervous as the next person, trust me. I need some assurance and faith in the team and manager to calm such nerve.... Supporting my team really takes a lot of energy.

I envy other fans as It's easier to support Liverpool for example, you know. :)

5 points is still a handy lead. To be fair the run we've been on has been too good to be true. There was a bit of lethargy and complacency I feel today. Way too many United fans have been dotting the i's and crossing the t's but there are plenty of twists to go. We didn't deserve anything tonight, on to the next one.

With City having three away games United are still massive favorites. City haven't won 50% of their away games all season.

Hopefully tonight will give the players and the fans a good kick up the arse.

I think we will beat Villa without problem, Everton will be very hard, might be a draw. They have looked class of late.
Think city will beat Norwich with one goal and of course shitty Wolves.

3 points between us when the derby game starts me think.

Hopefully tonight will give the players and the fans a good kick up the arse.

This. And I just hope one of the coaches forces Fergie to watch a video of Giggs for the full 90, over and over and over again.

He. Cannot. Play. 90. Minutes. In. Central. Midfield.

Even us stupid fans have been able to spot this for the past 12 months.

Its never encouraging when we focus more on our title rival possibly dropping points. City just got a hell of a morale boost. Winning 4- 0, have Aguero and Tevez building up some form, and us losing miserably. Its on. And we can't be depending on City to hand it to us.

This. And I just hope one of the coaches forces Fergie to watch a video of Giggs for the full 90, over and over and over again.

He. Cannot. Play. 90. Minutes. In. Central. Midfield.

Even us stupid fans have been able to spot this for the past 12 months.

Shut up. 12 months ago he was leading us to the CL final and title from midfield.

Shut up. 12 months ago he was leading us to the CL final and title from midfield.

Apologies, you're correct. He played 3 excellent matches there against Chelsea, 12 months ago.

I ammend my statement to read 8 months. Still long enough for anyone to spot a trend, surely? It's not like it's reactionary, as soon as his name was on the teamsheet as starting in the CM people were worried. Correctly.

Whilst QPR looks a nice fixture, theres always one around this time of the year when we struggle and usually come back from a goal or 2 down or draw/lose. It will come before the title clincher.

I'd be surprised if it didn't.

I guess the dodgy game's out of the way.

One consolation we do have is that our next 2 games are at home.

Norwich and Newcastle away will be very tough games for City. And their away form is awful.

Villa at home should be 3 points, so should Swansea who are in awful form at the moment. Everton is always a nervy game, we nicked it last season with a Hernandez goal late on.

But then again, Wigan should have been an away win especially as our away form is much better this season.

But it's football. Anything can happen. I mean, who really expected City to drop points at home against Sunderland, and to get comfortably beat at Arsenal.

Anything can and will happen from here on in - thankfully we have the experience and know how to do it. And this loss hurts because we've won the last God knows how many matches before tonight.

5 points clear, easier games than City - we'll be ok.

Look, we all said if we could have a decent lead/gap going into the derby, then we'd fancy our chances.

Well two games until the derby, we're still 5 points ahead and we've two home games while they've two away games.

Hold on to your seats folks. I still think we'll be alright.

Well, we've gone and done the opposite of what I said above. We've handed City hope, simple as that.

A five point lead is a five point lead, though. The players have one more chance to be as shit as they were tonight before they're made to pay for it.

I think the derby will decide who wins the title. Have an awful feeling that Everton gonna get a draw against us.
Man C got one hard game against Norwich and then the easy one vs Wolves.

I honestly think City won't win at Norwich on Saturday but even if they do we need to win our next 2 home games and we're in a good position.