The Lionesses: Qualified for Euro '25 | Vs South Africa (Tues @ 7:45pm)

Why are Scotland and England even allowed in the same group seeing as they're on the same side in the Olympics. Surely this couldve been foreseen?

Why are Scotland and England even allowed in the same group seeing as they're on the same side in the Olympics. Surely this couldve been foreseen?

Well officially this is the Women's Nations League, just happens they also decided to use it for Olympic qualification with the 2 finalists getting the spots

I guess it's exactly due to questions like this why the Mens teams have never bothered with the Olympics

Well officially this is the Women's Nations League, just happens they also decided to use it for Olympic qualification with the 2 finalists getting the spots

I guess it's exactly due to questions like this why the Mens teams have never bothered with the Olympics
But surely the Fifa/ Uefa/ whoever is in charge could have foreseen this conflict of interest?

But surely the Fifa/ Uefa/ whoever is in charge could have foreseen this conflict of interest?

Well clearly the answer is No!
Probably will be some new rules next time or maybe Team GB Women will just have to forgo the football like the Men

I'm not actually sure who decides the route for Olympic qualification, I assume UEFA but FIFA and probably the IOC involved too

Usual joking aside, it is very unlikely that a Scotland team, particularly one playing at Hampden Park would just roll over for an England team. Women's football may be different, but it's not that different. Still, it adds an extra twist to the story.

Netherlands/Belgium won't be a walkover either. Currently England and Netherlands are on 9 points, Belgium on 8. Even if you don't care much about the Olympics, being in the top two of the Nations League group is a good thing.

Finishing in third place is a problem - you have to play a knockout against a B tier team to avoid relegation from A tier, so there's a risk the. Staying in tier A matters - you've got a better chance of qualifying for the Euros if you're in tier A.

TLDR:
I'm expecting all four teams to try and win tonight :smirk:

Admittedly I've been disappointed before...

Usual joking aside, it is very unlikely that a Scotland team, particularly one playing at Hampden Park would just roll over for an England team. Women's football may be different, but it's not that different. Still, it adds an extra twist to the story.

Netherlands/Belgium won't be a walkover either. Currently England and Netherlands are on 9 points, Belgium on 8. Even if you don't care much about the Olympics, being in the top two of the Nations League group is a good thing.

Finishing in third place is a problem - you have to play a knockout against a B tier team to avoid relegation from A tier, so there's a risk the. Staying in tier A matters - you've got a better chance of qualifying for the Euros if you're in tier A.

TLDR:
I'm expecting all four teams to try and win tonight :smirk:

Admittedly I've been disappointed before...

Ye let's hope that Belgium can pull off a result for us because a win for the Lionesses is unlikely to be enough since we have to better the Netherlands result (need to win by 4 clear goals)

I actually think all these questions about integrity will make the Scottish ladies even more fired up than usual, no way at Hampden that they are just going to let England win

Mead & Morgan in for Kelly & Carter

Personally think Maya Le Tissier is better than either Carter or Morgan but maybe I'm biased!

Where are the supporters. Hardly anyone there.
Not sure how many are there, but one of the stands (the one you could see during the anthems) isn't open at all. Other three stands not packed, but not scarily empty like that was.

Mead & Morgan in for Kelly & Carter

Personally think Maya Le Tissier is better than either Carter or Morgan but maybe I'm biased!

Agreed on MLT though admittedly her form hasn't looked great this past month.

Greenwood scores from Beth Mead corner. Scotland really didn't defend that at all.

Agreed on MLT though admittedly her form hasn't looked great this past month.

Greenwood scores from Beth Mead corner. Scotland really didn't defend that at all.

Ye poor from Scotland, pretty tame header really

Elsewhere -
Netherlands 0-0 Belgium after 23 minutes
If scores stay like this England go through to the Nations League finals

Northern Ireland 1-6 Ireland
- Ireland will be in Tier A next year.
- NI will stay in Tier B

Wales 0-0 Germany after 77 minutes
Wales have already been relegated to Tier B
Germany or Denmark will top that group.

Lauren Hemp unmarked (and offside?) hits the post - not sure how.

Netherlands score 1-0
Netherlands top of the group again.

Their keeper obviously isn’t entirely to blame but Scotland could have had a traffic cone in goal and the score wouldn’t be any different

Their keeper obviously isn’t entirely to blame but Scotland could have had a traffic cone in goal and the score wouldn’t be any different
You could have swapped the whole Scotland defence for traffic cones at times there.

It must be a sobering experience to play against Lauren James for Cuthbert. I bet she gains a whole new appreciation for her after tonight :lol:

Elsewhere -
Netherlands 0-0 Belgium after 23 minutes
If scores stay like this England go through to the Nations League finals

Northern Ireland 1-6 Ireland
- Ireland will be in Tier A next year.
- NI will stay in Tier B

Wales 0-0 Germany after 77 minutes
Wales have already been relegated to Tier B
Germany or Denmark will top that group.
At HT -
Netherlands 1-0 Belgium
England currently top of the group.

Wales 0-0 Germany at FT
Germany still manage to top the group though, because Denmark lost 0-1 to Iceland.

Be a damn shame if England goes through to the finals ahead of the Netherlands. Scotland should stop rolling over.
We're getting it up in the arse because of Scotland. This should raise serious questions.

Kirby hits the bar.

Netherlands 2-0 now, same points and GD as England but England currently top on goals scored.

Aren't the Netherlands through now with 5-0 and 2-0?

Edit: ah no wait, wrong poules.

Hemp’s dribbling style reminds me so much of Gemma Davison.

Group cannot really be tighter at the moment. Another England goal would be a good idea :D