Television The Last Kingdom on BBC

AaronRedDevil

It was always compared to Vikings. Guessing that's why there isn't a few more seasons.

Glorio

Just watched S4 on Netflix. I'd gone away for this show for years for whatever reason and just got back into it. Still going strong!

I may be missing something as I barely remember the details of the past seasons (not because they were bad, I've just watched too much TV in between), but why does Brida hate Uhtred so much considering they were soul mates at the start?

Just because he couldn't butcher her in front of the Welsh? Or was there something deeper? Which would be odd as she seemed Ok with him just before she was captured. He's also spared her life, offered Ragnar's killer for her to take revenge, and obviously cares for her still. She's not necessarily the most reasonable individual, but her grudge seems too strong for the stuff I can remember anyway.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just watched S4 on Netflix. I'd gone away for this show for years for whatever reason and just got back into it. Still going strong!

I may be missing something as I barely remember the details of the past seasons (not because they were bad, I've just watched too much TV in between), but why does Brida hate Uhtred so much considering they were soul mates at the start?

Just because he couldn't butcher her in front of the Welsh? Or was there something deeper? Which would be odd as she seemed Ok with him just before she was captured. He's also spared her life, offered Ragnar's killer for her to take revenge, and obviously cares for her still. She's not necessarily the most reasonable individual, but her grudge seems too strong for the stuff I can remember anyway.
First off; damn you because I thought the bump was for a new trailer or something.

Uhtred was getting "friendly" with the Saxons and Brida absolutely hates them so it's put our stoic shagger firmly on her enemy list.

He also didn't take a shit in the forest when it was his turn, so I imagine that's been burning in her mind for years.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

He bailed on the coalition led by Ragnar, just when it looked like everything was coming together for them, to go save Aefleawafflewaffled (sp). It’s a doubly bad look it when it all falls apart and Ragnar ends up dead due to poindexter.

And Valhalla is really important to these types, hence her and Uhtred’s big side quest, so by not giving her a warrior’s death he is damning her to eternity (because you have to assume she’d die as a slave) in bizarro Valhalla which I believe they call ‘Alabama’.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Slavery is denying her the right to an honorable death on the battlefield. No Valhalla for her. That combined with him constantly sitting on the fence leading to Young Ragnars death.

Sylar

First off; damn you because I thought the bump was for a new trailer or something.

Uhtred was getting "friendly" with the Saxons and Brida absolutely hates them so it's put our stoic shagger firmly on her enemy list.

He also didn't take a shit in the forest when it was his turn, so I imagine that's been burning in her mind for years.
Well...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Season 5 available in 2 days. Cant wait.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I forgot where things were left so I'm re-watching season 4 first. It's one of my favourite shows in the last 5 years.

Hamnat

Good start so far. On the second episode of this season. They are starting at a fast pace.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Finished it, binge watched over 2 nights. They did well with the ending, the last couple of episodes are a bit rushed but its handled well and everything most everything gets tied up one way or the other. Couple of unexpected twists compared to the book.

Sticking faithful to the books (as best they could) for 4 seasons left them having to cut a lot and merge a lot (5 books in a season) but they handled it as well as could be expected.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Why can't I find the last season on my Netflix account? I only have seasons 1-4

Sylar

That was a fantastic final season.
Full circle and pretty much all things wrapped up

Also there were consequences to most actions which I enjoyed despite the brutality

padr81

Supports
Man City
That was a fantastic final season.
Full circle and pretty much all things wrapped up

Also there were consequences to most actions which I enjoyed despite the brutality
My fave thing about the show. While there was a little plot armor, every decision someone made had both a rationale and consequence. While I thought Edward was a bit of a dick, his logic most often was sound from his pov.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
4 episodes in. Its just such a well made show.

One thing though. King Alfred looks ridiculous with that beard. Can't take him seriously.

padr81

Supports
Man City
4 episodes in. Its just such a well made show.

One thing though. King Alfred looks ridiculous with that beard. Can't take him seriously.
In fairness it's less ridiculous than uhtreds accent and in particular when he says "behbehba"

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Finished it, binge watched over 2 nights. They did well with the ending, the last couple of episodes are a bit rushed but its handled well and everything most everything gets tied up one way or the other. Couple of unexpected twists compared to the book.

Sticking faithful to the books (as best they could) for 4 seasons left them having to cut a lot and merge a lot (5 books in a season) but they handled it as well as could be expected.
I don’t know anything about the books, but it there were a few times I felt they were biting off more than they could chew in the second half of the season. They tied it up better than I expected.

I think any show that both has me in tears and wincing in agony at various parts long before the climax is something I’d have to give high marks to.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness it's less ridiculous than uhtreds accent and in particular when he says "behbehba"
I know everyone hates it but I'm not gonna lie, I have grown to love his accent.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I know everyone hates it but I'm not gonna lie, I have grown to love his accent.
Its hard to imagine anyone else now to be honest. I wouldn't say I've grown to love it, but I'll never hear Uhtred any other way.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don’t know anything about the books, but it there were a few times I felt they were biting off more than they could chew in the second half of the season. They tied it up better than I expected.

I think any show that both has me in tears and wincing in agony at various parts long before the climax is something I’d have to give high marks to.
Yeah I think maybe they had it sprung on them that season 5 would be the last after season 4 (maybe because Netflix were picking up Vikings).
You can feel the rushing at the end especially with the Scots but its handled thankfully more gracefully than a certain other fantasy epic. For sure I choked up a little bit at the Brida scene and I knew it was coming and had grown to hate her. It was almost like executing someone for being mentally ill. So well done.

Interesting thing is the writer of the books is a descendant of an Ealdorman named Uhtred and finding out was what inspired him to write the story, even if the real Uhtred was born 100 years later and not nearly as much of a bad ass.

Sylar

My fave thing about the show. While there was a little plot armor, every decision someone made had both a rationale and consequence. While I thought Edward was a bit of a dick, his logic most often was sound from his pov.
I think you will get a little plot armour and it's expected
Not like we saw in final season of GOt but this one was acceptable as it was hardly used

Seriously enjoyed this from start to finish. It rates high for characters and story throughout

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Good ending for the series and now apparently there will be a movie :drool:.
In this season I missed a little more action and battles

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well that was pretty good.
The ending was enjoyably positive.

Felt like Aethelhelm’s death was a bit meh after all that. The snivelling wanker.

So many good characters. Just looking through the list and I’d forgot half of them too.

Aldhelm is a proper good lad. Apparently less so in the books.

Glorio

Brilliant end! Destiny is all boys and girls, destiny is all!