The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Helene | Hurricane Milton

Not posting it, but there's screenshots going around of laura loomer tweets urging people to not let FEMA help them if they turn up.

I seriously cannot believe a hurricane is now a political thing. It's not only depressing, it's so mentally draining even just following news updates. :(

I just want to read about progress and how things are going for the people.

:lol: oh you sweet summer child
The internet has broke America good and proper. Those nuts that walked around town wearing sandwich boards prophesying doom now have millions of followers and a shot at public office. You used to have to start acid tripping sex cults to get a fraction of that following.

The internet has broke America good and proper. Those nuts that walked around town wearing sandwich boards prophesying doom now have millions of followers and a shot at public office. You used to have to start acid tripping sex cults to get a fraction of that following.
Yep. It’s turned a lot of people into lunatics.

Case in point… all these folks back where I’m from thinking FEMA is stopping a seizing any relief supplies being brought up here. Meanwhile, I drove up to the last exit before I-26 has washed out near the Tennessee border and dropped off a truck load of supplies to a local group that’s set up a medical clinic and food bank. Amazingly,
I’ve yet to be seized by “the Feds”.

Not posting it, but there's screenshots going around of laura loomer tweets urging people to not let FEMA help them if they turn up.

I seriously cannot believe a hurricane is now a political thing. It's not only depressing, it's so mentally draining even just following news updates. :(

I just want to read about progress and how things are going for the people.
It’s crazy is what it is. The number of nuts that believe this drivel is quite something. IMO it’s a combination of poor education and poor critical thinking skills at the low end and just plain haters on the other end.

Seeing the path of Milton coming ashore a few miles to the south of Tampa Bay. If that is indeed the case, the Bay area will suffer incalculably less damage. Fingers crossed.

What a day. Started off watching us play dismally at grasroots kava. Rest of day was helping my daughter prep, getting sand etc, then I discovered her generator doesnt run. I’m soaked and cranky

I don’t understand why the NHC has this still landing between Bradenton and Sarasota. All the models are Tampa or North. Neither has good outcomes, although the south side is expected to disintegrate, a north landing will still being onshore floding in the bay area.

I’d feel better if daughter generator worked, but apart from that I’m as ready as I think I can. At least I got to spend the day with my favourite person!

One of my coaching buddies took his family to Orlando where some of his wife’s family are to get away from all the power outages and stuff here from Helene.

“My how the turntables…”

I'm supposed to be working on a commercial in Tampa later next week, 16th and 17th. Is it looking likely that will not happen and should look to push it?
Early to say but that’s almost a week after it’s expected to hit the Tampa area. If it shifts and weakens then you should be fine. If it doesn't then …..

Possibly making landfall as a Category 4. No offense, Sarasota and Manatee counties, but we need you to take one for the team. Thankfully I’m in evacuation zone C. Even more, right at the edge of D which is where my neighbor is across from me.

Incredibly, I found someone who can fix her generator today. Her house is being used as safe house for her friends in south Tampa.

Extended the hotel in Orlando for 5 days. Thank goodness for being Hilton diamond. I can’t go but wife will. Daughter intent on riding it out as she might need to do emergency work for her kids in the foster system.

If I ride this out, I’m getting hurricane straps next year. Windows are tough, I have over 27 and the house is 1908 craftsman style.

I had a drive down Davis Island and Peter O airport I fly from is still closed from Helene damage. It’s 7 ft above sea level.

Incredibly, I found someone who can fix her generator today. Her house is being used as safe house for her friends in south Tampa.

Extended the hotel in Orlando for 5 days. Thank goodness for being Hilton diamond. I can’t go but wife will. Daughter intent on riding it out as she might need to do emergency work for her kids in the foster system.

If I ride this out, I’m getting hurricane straps next year. Windows are tough, I have over 27 and the house is 1908 craftsman style.

I had a drive down Davis Island and Peter O airport I fly from is still closed from Helene damage. It’s 7 ft above sea level.
Good luck and I hope you and your ride it out safely!

Considering driving up to my sister’s in Charlotte early tomorrow morning. Maybe even in the night. I’m not all that concerned about my house’s well being, as I’m almost certain it’ll be in tact and with minimal water damage if any, but I’m uncertain of the surrounding infrastructure. No power or water for a couple days ain’t no skin off my back, but if it’s potentially a week or more, I’d rather not.

Considering driving up to my sister’s in Charlotte early tomorrow morning. Maybe even in the night. I’m not all that concerned about my house’s well being, as I’m almost certain it’ll be in tact and with minimal water damage if any, but I’m uncertain of the surrounding infrastructure. No power or water for a couple days ain’t no skin off my back, but if it’s potentially a week or more, I’d rather not.
Probably better going at night, roads are probably going to back up today with the mandatory evacs.

Good news on the generator!

Stay safe!

I really don't understand how people can live in places like Florida knowing these events are looming on an annual basis. And it seems to be getting more severe and frequent. Not to mention the humidity, bugs, gators etc. Sure things may look pretty but...

Stay safe Florida caffers

Yep, @NotworkSte has it spot on, I 95 is jammed full of cars heading north from FL, night time would be more amenable.

I really don't understand how people can live in places like Florida knowing these events are looming on an annual basis. And it seems to be getting more severe and frequent. I guess at least those super wealthy people high up in their brand new Miami skyscrapers are fine.
There hasn't been a direct hit on the Tampa Bay area since 1921. Unfortunately St. Pete & Tampa have chanced the odds for decades & built manmade islands & encroached so far into the Gulf & the Bay, the money basically won over & have risked it. The worst case surge forecasts would basically rearrange the Bay entirely.

I really don't understand how people can live in places like Florida knowing these events are looming on an annual basis. And it seems to be getting more severe and frequent. Not to mention the humidity, bugs, gators etc. Sure things may look pretty but...

Stay safe Florida caffers
All of us who’ve lived here for a significant amount of time are used to it. Just like how I don’t understand how people could live in Wisconsin or Oklahoma, but they do and manage how they can.

Most climates have their tradeoffs, and tropical/subtropical climates are no different. At least with hurricanes, there’s ample warning time. Powerful real estate investors dictating God knows how many policies in Florida is largely out of our reach, so it’s on people who move here to understand the risk of buying/renting in serious flood zones, and to be prepared to pay the consequences if they want to be stubborn about it.

Isn’t it expected to weaken along the way for [science reasons] and make landfall as a 3, possibly 4?
Still supposed to hit some vertical sheer, which will weaken it… the only thing is it’s all relative to how strong it gets before it begins weakening. And then when it does, it’ll expand in size and impact a wider area.

I-75 to Atlanta and then I-85 to Charlotte??
75, exit off Ocala on the 301 up to 10 eastbound to Jacksonville to get onto 295, then 95, 26, then 77 until 485 in Charlotte. That’s assuming 75 isn’t still fecked at night. Otherwise, scenic route via state highways.

75, exit off Ocala on the 301 up to 10 eastbound to Jacksonville to get onto 295, then 95, 26, then 77 until 485 in Charlotte. That’s assuming 75 isn’t still fecked at night. Otherwise, scenic route via state highways.
Scenic route at night - can you see the stars better? :)