The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Helene | Hurricane Milton

I have an Auntie that lives in Greenville SC and I was a bit worried as I read that there had been a few deaths there. I messaged her earlier and didn't hear anything for about 12 hours or so. Turns out they aren't even home atm and are in Michigan to watch some football and weren't even aware of how bad it was back home. Their neighbour has said they have lost power and water but have escaped any damage thankfully.

I have an Auntie that lives in Greenville SC and I was a bit worried as I read that there had been a few deaths there. I messaged her earlier and didn't hear anything for about 12 hours or so. Turns out they aren't even home atm and are in Michigan to watch some football and weren't even aware of how bad it was back home. Their neighbour has said they have lost power and water but have escaped any damage thankfully.
Tell them to stay in Michigan as long as they can. It’s not looking like power will be restored for awhile yet

Japan would have that fixed in a week.
They’d have a hard time with all the hundreds of downed trees and dozens of washed out bridges blocking the way there

Has anyone seen the right wing conspiracy theories that this is man made hurricane made to decimate Red states only because it's so close to the election?
Yes. fecking morons.

Japan would have that fixed in a week.

Has anyone seen the right wing conspiracy theories that this is man made hurricane made to decimate Red states only because it's so close to the election?

:lol: honestly, they are 100% serious too.
Pretty silly to target solid red states when they’d vote red regardless of destruction. What the liberal deep state need to do is generate a hurricane on Lake Michigan to take out rural Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Just got back home from my wrestling trip.

To get down the 400 yards of the street that my house is on, I had to weave in between 9 downed trees and 4 downed power poles / power lines laying in the street.

No power whatsoever. Very spotty cell reception so idk if this will post or not.

Seeing about a billion stars overhead is cool though

Nope not even a little bit and yes, she was super pissed.

My school district just announced that we’re for sure out until at least next Monday.
Same over here, WCU cancelled classes to a week from today but might extended it further if there is no cell / internet reception.

My uncle lives on the eastern edge of the WNC mountains. He was finally able to get in touch with us today. The info he’s hearing out of Black Mountain, NC and Swanannoa, NC is absolutely grim.

The estimate that I’ve seen is that 40 trillion gallons of water fell from the combined low pressure system + Hurricane Helene

From a teaching colleague today…

“My friends dad is a doc in Asheville, volunteered to do EMS since he's an avid kayaker and he said most of the day today was spent loading bodies into pickup trucks. Floodwaters receding enough they're just finding people by the dozens”

From a teaching colleague today…

“My friends dad is a doc in Asheville, volunteered to do EMS since he's an avid kayaker and he said most of the day today was spent loading bodies into pickup trucks. Floodwaters receding enough they're just finding people by the dozens”

That is terrible. I imagine that the destruction is always enormous but lives are not in the dozens usually?

That is terrible. I imagine that the destruction is always enormous but lives are not in the dozens usually?
It was during Katrina, 1400 total. I don't see the number of deceased from Helene getting that high, but locals around here will forever have a cleave in their lives pre- & post-Helene.

It took me moving to WNC to have the second worst hurricane experience in my life. It's simply not suited around here to accumulate 20+ trillions of gallons of water in the mountains.

Just got back home from my wrestling trip.

To get down the 400 yards of the street that my house is on, I had to weave in between 9 downed trees and 4 downed power poles / power lines laying in the street.

No power whatsoever. Very spotty cell reception so idk if this will post or not.

Seeing about a billion stars overhead is cool though

Sorry to hear that. I spoke to a bunch of relatives in Horry County and they all said much ado about nothing on their end. Just rain. Are you on the coast or further inland?

It was during Katrina, 1400 total. I don't see the number of deceased from Helene getting that high, but locals around here will forever have a cleave in their lives pre- & post-Helene.

It took me moving to WNC to have the second worst hurricane experience in my life. It's simply not suited around here to accumulate 20+ trillions of gallons of water in the mountains.

Yes, that is what I mean, is not the usual to have dozens of deaths. Katrina was 20 years ago approx. right?

Sorry to hear that. I spoke to a bunch of relatives in Horry County and they all said much ado about nothing on their end. Just rain. Are you on the coast or further inland?
I’m in the upstate at the border between Greenville and Spartanburg Counties. We are almost directly south of Asheville, so caught the right front quadrant right before the mountains did.

I saw where the sheriff in Black Mountain was saying there’s bodies that’ll possibly not be recovered because they got taken by mudslides in the line of towns going East of Asheville (Black Mtn, Swannanoa, Old Fort)

I saw where the sheriff in Black Mountain was saying there’s bodies that’ll possibly not be recovered because they got taken by mudslides in the line of towns going East of Asheville (Black Mtn, Swannanoa, Old Fort)
Good lord.

My wife is going up to a field hospital near Asheville Saturday and Sunday. I reckon I'll be going with her to see what I can do too.

Heard from some of my relatives in NC and SC yesterday, my sister-in-law in NC has trees down but no house damage, the power was down but is back I think

SC - the whole area including my property there near the GA border has no power, gas stations and stores are closed, a few Mom and Pops are open but only taking cash, presumably no card payements can be processed, power is going to be mostly out until the middle of October, another sister-in-law says it's like a war zone, tress are down everywhere and power lines dangling all over the place.

My property has a large shed on it and a 100 foot pine tree came down and missed it by a few feet so I got lucky there I guess, the creek at the back overflowed massively but it's far enough back that it didn't cause any issues

Heard from some of my relatives in NC and SC yesterday, my sister-in-law in NC has trees down but no house damage, the power was down but is back I think

SC - the whole area including my property there near the GA border has no power, gas stations and stores are closed, a few Mom and Pops are open but only taking cash, presumably no card payements can be processed, power is going to be mostly out until the middle of October, another sister-in-law says it's like a war zone, tress are down everywhere and power lines dangling all over the place.

My property has a large shed on it and a 100 foot pine tree came down and missed it by a few feet so I got lucky there I guess, the creek at the back overflowed massively but it's far enough back that it didn't cause any issues
That makes sense. Where your property is located is a direct line south from us. The worst part hit y’all, then us, then WNC like dominos.

That makes sense. Where your property is located is a direct line south from us. The worst part hit y’all, then us, then WNC like dominos.
According to my sister-in-law in SC the eye went right over them, I always thought if you had to be in a hurricane that was the best bit to be in, but I might be wrong!

Thankfully everyone I know is okay and dodged any house / car damage. Worst we have of it is still no power, which considering how bad it is an hour north, we’re very thankful of that.

Good to hear man

Next week is not looking good at all. Went from tropical storm to potentially a cat 3 directly into Tampa. I know it’s low confidence at the moment but most models showing something.
I’m supposed to head to Seattle that day.

NHC is saying major now and at this time it looks like a direct hit on Tampa. The NHC guidance is below that of quite a few models on what expected strength could be.

Man, the conspiracy theories are going to go absolutely wild if central Florida gets smashed by a Cat 3+ while GA/SC/NC/TN is still under a FEMA Emergency cleanup

NHC is saying major now and at this time it looks like a direct hit on Tampa. The NHC guidance is below that of quite a few models on what expected strength could be.
Jesus, if the eye rolls in around the Pinellas / Pasco county line, shit's going to be chaotic for the TB area.

Jesus, if the eye rolls in around the Pinellas / Pasco county line, shit's going to be chaotic for the TB area.
Denis Philips was saying he can’t find any record of a storm with this track, from western Gulf straight across. It will be a smaller, fast moving storm so worst effects should be in a smaller area but I’m seriously thinking of evacuation for wife as she cannot lose power because of her intensive school program. I haven’t been this concerned since Irma.

Denis Philips was saying he can’t find any record of a storm with this track, from western Gulf straight across. It will be a smaller, fast moving storm so worst effects should be in a smaller area but I’m seriously thinking of evacuation for wife as she cannot lose power because of her intensive school program. I haven’t been this concerned since Irma.
I'm worried for y'all. Closest thing I can remember was Elena in '85 but that veered NW & never struck Florida.

Y'all are in my thoughts. Take heed of evacuation warnings even though Seminole Heights is a little elevated.

Man, the conspiracy theories are going to go absolutely wild if central Florida gets smashed by a Cat 3+ while GA/SC/NC/TN is still under a FEMA Emergency cleanup
Conspiracy theories about hurricanes? Is that a thing now?

Edit - Apparently so. How long will it be before some states start burning witches again?

Last edited:
Now?

Edit - Apparently so. How long will it be before some states start burning witches again?
Katrina was aimed by the CIA using HAARP, heating areas of the atmosphere with microwave radiation to steer the storm.

Or so they say.

I vaguely remember that. Something to do with a marker pen used to extend the impact area to cover for Trump being a thick as shit moron?

Regardless, claiming someone conjured up a hurricane in order to influence an election is several levels of craziness above that.