The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Helene | Hurricane Milton

Keep safe dude. Waffle Houses can sometimes be just as life threatening as a cat 5 hurricane.
True, but it is also where the Matrix becomes reality

2LtG8d.gif

Keep safe dude. Waffle Houses can sometimes be just as life threatening as a cat 5 hurricane.
Only the ones in the hood for after party hours. This one here is pure southern comfort where the staff can kill an intruder with a pickle in five different ways.

It’s the storm surge, not the winds, that’s going to determine how much destruction this storm brings.

Also, if the vert shear brings this storm down from a 5, that means the storm actually gets physically larger in size and affects a broader area.

TBH the category is almost meaningless, windspeed isn't the main cause of death and destruction, flooding is - this BBC article explains it well

Thanks for the info. The BBC article makes sense since the images and information around hurricanes always show wind speed and you associate the devastation to that but I guess it's the flooding that does almost all the damage

Thanks for the info. The BBC article makes sense since the images and information around hurricanes always show wind speed and you associate the devastation to that but I guess it's the flooding that does almost all the damage
And kills the most people, 90% worldwide apparently

Got a mate in Cocoa Beach. Works in a hospital, been told he can't leave. I did ask him if he had any final words, "up the Hatters"

3 hurricanes in november before elections....suspicioso

Lock her up!

Good luck to anyone down there. As someone that has been through probably a dozen big ones, if you can't leave, stay inside, secure the home and if you hear something outside you think you may have forgotten then leave it and don't go out there.

(also non-scientific and science says the opposite but 100 years of islanders argue it anyway: open a window a crack towards the lee to alleviate pressure)

Got a friend who I met while travelling who’s a fire fighter in Florida. Messaged him to hope he stays safe and says he’s expected to be out in duty from today all through Friday until he gets to see his family again.

Brave feck.

Hope everyone in the danger zone on the Caf’ have left to a safer place.

Truly scary shit!
Hope everything works out for those about to be affected and you have your best plan in place.

What's the situation with doctors and firefighters there? It's such a weird situation. They have to stay despite the huge risk while most citizens flee. I kind of get they have to stay but they're really risking their lives.

What's the situation with doctors and firefighters there? It's such a weird situation. They have to stay despite the huge risk while most citizens flee. I kind of get they have to stay but they're really risking their lives.
Do most citizens actually flee though?

For every 10 that do there's probably 3 who don't.

A lot of people are complacent because they get warned to evacuate on a regular basis and because of the unpredictable nature of hurricanes the don't get hit, until they do and by then it's too late

It takes a certain kind of person to be a doctor, fire fighter, police officer etc in these circumstances and TBH I'm not sure I'd be one!