Cueva de las Manos, Argentina

The Beauty of Cave Art

Chauvet, France

Altamira, Spain

Lascaux, France

the-sorcerer.jpg

Les Trois Fréres, France

Cueva de las Manos, Argentina

Good to know that people were just as weird in the past as they are now.

I wonder whether this has some kind of ritual significance, maybe connected with the hunt, or is it the work of a paleolithic Hieronymus Bosch or Salvador Dali struggling to express himself? Full many a prehistoric Picasso was born to blush unseen.

I looked up 'Les Trois Freres': Apparently the figure is famous, dates from 15000 years ago, and is known as 'The Sorcerer'. Originally, in the 1920s, it was thought to be the first depiction of a Deity in art, but now it's more commonly viewed as some kind of tribal shaman.

Last edited:
Another theory, developed by David Lewis-Williams and broadly based on ethnographic studies of contemporary hunter-gatherer societies, is that the paintings were made by paleolithic shamans. The shaman would retreat into the darkness of the caves, enter into a trance state, and then paint images of their visions, perhaps with some notion of drawing power out of the cave walls themselves.

The above is, apparently, the most popular theory at this time. Graham Hancock's book Supernatural is instructive on the subject:

Less than 50,000 years ago mankind had no art, no religion, no sophisticated symbolism, no innovative thinking. Then, in a dramatic and electrifying change, described by scientists as "the greatest riddle in human history", all the skills and qualities that we value most highly in ourselves appeared already fully formed, as though bestowed on us by hidden powers.

In Supernatural, Graham Hancock sets out to investigate this mysterious "before-and-after moment" and to discover the truth about the influences that gave birth to the modern human mind. His quest takes him on a journey of adventure and detection from the stunningly beautiful painted caves of prehistoric France, Spain and Italy to remote rock shelters in the mountains of South Africa where he finds a treasure trove of extraordinary Stone Age art.

He uncovers clues that lead him to travel to the depths of the Amazon rainforest to drink the powerful plant hallucinogen Ayahuasca with Indian shamans, whose paintings contain images of "supernatural beings" identical to the animal-human hybrids depicted in prehistoric caves and rock shelters. And hallucinogens such as mescaline, also produce visionary encounters with exactly the same beings. Scientists at the cutting edge of consciousness research have begun to consider the possibility that such hallucinations may be real perceptions of other "dimensions".

Could the "supernaturals" first depicted in the painted caves and rock shelters be the ancient teachers of mankind? Could it be that human evolution is not just the "blind", "meaningless" process that Darwin identified, but something else, more purposive and intelligent, that we have barely even begun to understand?

Good to know that people were just as weird in the past as they are now.

I wonder whether this has some kind of ritual significance, maybe connected with the hunt, or is it the work of a paleolithic Hieronymus Bosch or Salvador Dali struggling to express himself? Full many a prehistoric Picasso was born to blush unseen.

I looked up 'Les Trois Freres': Apparently the figure is famous, dates from 15000 years ago, and is known as 'The Sorcerer'. Originally, in the 1920s, it was thought to be the first depiction of a Deity in art, but now it's more commonly viewed as some kind of tribal shaman.
The antler mask is really close in appearance to the antler frontlets found at Star Carr, Yorkshire. https://goo.gl/ZmeXMc
The drawing is incredibly naturalistic, check out the hands, like they are inside a single mitten. Human figures are of course rare in Palaeolithic art, but this one resembles anatomical drawings which depict the muscles in skinned cadavers. Strange, indeed.

I'm also quite tempted by the theory that Phoenician traders reached the Americas many centuries prior.

I'm also quite tempted by the theory that Phoenician traders reached the Americas many centuries prior.

The ending of this was awful. The potential of the site was there but the way they were so determined it was a Viking site from the evidence they gathered throughout the programme was silly.

Don't know if this will work but we'll try anyway:

Hold on tight and take a balloon ride over Manchester in 1850. This great 3D animation was produced by Neil Millington who used Ordnance Survey maps:

I've been three times, total of 9 days. I'd go again tomorrow if I could. Probably the most amazing grand archaeological site / lost city type place I've been (inc. Ankor Wat).

Same woman who was on the Viking programme with Dan Snow - regarding the space archaeology. I just got my provisional results for my archaeology degree, first class with honours and in my dissertation too. Pretty chuffed.

Cheers. I´ll keep that in mind. I have visited Angkor Wat, so if this is even more exiting, it is definitely worth a trip.

My taste - I remember hearing one mouthy backpacker type say that Ankor pisses all over Petra while I was there the last time, but for me the rock-cut architecture and desert landscape were more atmospheric than the Cambodian jungle.

If you go, give it time and get a three-day pass. Apart from the main stretch between the Treasury and Monastery, there's at least 8 or 9 good hikes around the site - the back entrance, the cliffs overlooking the Treasury, the Crusader Castle, the Place of High Sacrifice (the walk to the Monastery itself is a good walk). And there is Little Petra as well.

I'm not surprised they made this new discovery, first time I was there my guest-house owner told me they find new stuff every year. And all across the site you can see worn-out steps cut into the rock leading off to remote corners where the archaeologists just haven't got to yet.

Also makes sense to combine it with a night or two with the Bedouin in Wadi Rum - a fairly cliched experience but great desert scenery.

Same woman who was on the Viking programme with Dan Snow - regarding the space archaeology. I just got my provisional results for my archaeology degree, first class with honours and in my dissertation too. Pretty chuffed.
congratulations! Good stuff.

My taste - I remember hearing one mouthy backpacker type say that Ankor pisses all over Petra while I was there the last time, but for me the rock-cut architecture and desert landscape were more atmospheric than the Cambodian jungle.

If you go, give it time and get a three-day pass. Apart from the main stretch between the Treasury and Monastery, there's at least 8 or 9 good hikes around the site - the back entrance, the cliffs overlooking the Treasury, the Crusader Castle, the Place of High Sacrifice (the walk to the Monastery itself is a good walk). And there is Little Petra as well.

I'm not surprised they made this new discovery, first time I was there my guest-house owner told me they find new stuff every year. And all across the site you can see worn-out steps cut into the rock leading off to remote corners where the archaeologists just haven't got to yet.

Also makes sense to combine it with a night or two with the Bedouin in Wadi Rum - a fairly cliched experience but great desert scenery.

that sounds like a holiday that I´ll really enjoy. Can you go back-packing in the (wider) area or is it advisable to stay in a big hotel?

After visiting various ruins in central america and Angkor wat, this and machu picchu are high on my list. I won´t make it this year, but next year should be possible.

that sounds like a holiday that I´ll really enjoy. Can you go back-packing in the (wider) area or is it advisable to stay in a big hotel?

After visiting various ruins in central america and Angkor wat, this and machu picchu are high on my list. I won´t make it this year, but next year should be possible.

You'll stay in a guest-house in Wadi Musa, the town beside the site. Plenty of cheap enough budget options. There's a Movenpick close to the site entrance with a small bar (one of the only places to get a drink in town) if you want to live it up a bit.

Since you like these types of places, another amazing place in the region is Cappadocia in Turkey, where they recently discovered another huge underground Byzantine-era church - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkey-his...iscovered-underground-city-cappadocia-1540337

It's a whole region worth exploring though, not just one site like at Petra, but like Petra, it has a landscape you won't really find anywhere else in the world:

-
4251833508_7b894e1ff1_b.jpg

[EDIT]: should probably say, last time I was in Petra was early 2012, before the Syrian war had really started to impact on Jordan. I have no idea how the conflict might have affected tourism in southern Jordan.

Last edited:
Near-perfect 100 million year old feathered wing discovered in amber

Prehistoric avialan feathers worked a lot like modern birds

A pair of wings found encased in amber suggest that the plumage of modern birds has remained almost unchanged from some of their dinosaur-era ancestors, according to scientists. In a new study published in the Nature Communications journal this week, researchers say that the wings have very similar structures, coloring, and feather layouts as the wings of modern birds, despite the fact they likely belonged to 100-million-year-old avialans called enantiornithes.

X-ray scans indicate that the fossilized wings — found in northern Myanmar — likely belonged to juvenile creatures, and contain skin, muscle, and claws, as well as various layers of feathers, arranged in a markedly similar fashion to those of birds. That's not the only similarity: the feathers appear uniformly black inside the amber, actually show up in shades of brown, silver, and white under the microscope.

The smaller of the two samples has been nicknamed "Angel," a nod to the fact it was originally destined to be included in a jewelry piece called "Angel's Wings," before the scientists behind the study procured it from a Myanmar amber market. Burmese amber from the country is famous for containing mummified plant and animal life, with as much as 30 percent featuring "phenomenal biodiversity," according to David Grimaldi at the American Museum of Natural History. But much of that amber comes from unregulated mines in the north of the country, with some of the richest areas for discovery controlled by the separatist Kachin Independence Army, a force in regular conflict with the Myanmar government.

While paleontologists now generally agree that at least some dinosaur species did indeed sport feathers, so far they've had base their work on limited samples. Ryan McKellar, co-author of the study, told National Geographic that "the biggest problem we face with feathers in amber is that we usually get small fragments or isolated feathers, and we're never quite sure who produced [them]." The new samples, on the other hand, feature bone, feathers, and soft tissue, allowing paleontologists to see just how similar prehistoric bird wings were to modern examples. "We don't get something like this," McKellar said. "It's mind-blowingly cool."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/29/12...vered-in-amber

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/16...omms12089.html (full reserach article)

ncomms12089-f3.jpg

Map shows how long it took to travel from London to the rest of the world in 1881.

CrSLNUeXYAEjGPV.jpg

Franklin's HMS Terror found after 168 years:
The long-lost ship of British polar explorer Sir John Franklin, HMS Terror, has been found in pristine condition at the bottom of an Arctic bay, researchers have said, in a discovery that challenges the accepted history behind one of polar exploration’s deepest mysteries.

HMS Terror and Franklin’s flagship, HMS Erebus, were abandoned in heavy sea ice far to the north of the eventual wreck site in 1848, during the Royal Navy explorer’s doomed attempt to complete the Northwest Passage.

All 129 men on the Franklin expedition died, in the worst disaster to hit Britain’s Royal Navy in its long history of polar exploration. Search parties continued to look for the ships for 11 years after they disappeared, but found no trace, and the fate of the missing men remained an enigma that tantalised generations of historians, archaeologists and adventurers.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

Map shows how long it took to travel from London to the rest of the world in 1881.

CrSLNUeXYAEjGPV.jpg

Fascinating map. Bombay was a shorter journey than Cape Town - before the opening of the Suez canal 12 years before, a traveler had to sail past Cape Town to reach Bombay.

Were the two yellow lines across America from east to west railways?

The guy who drew the map, Francis Galton, was a great nineteenth century British scientist. He certainly had his finger in a lot of pies.

Fascinating map. Bombay was a shorter journey than Cape Town - before the opening of the Suez canal 12 years before, a traveler had to sail past Cape Town to reach Bombay.

Were the two yellow lines across America from east to west railways?

The guy who drew the map, Francis Galton, was a great nineteenth century British scientist. He certainly had his finger in a lot of pies.

Yes I believe the two yellow lines would indicate the east-west railways of the time.

I wonder if the trip to Bombay, rather than sailing around the Cape, involved a train trip across Europe, sail to Egypt, then say a short rail or caravan trip to a port on the Red Sea, then a ship to Bombay?

Yes I believe the two yellow lines would indicate the east-west railways of the time.

I wonder if the trip to Bombay, rather than sailing around the Cape, involved a train trip across Europe, sail to Egypt, then say a short rail or caravan trip to a port on the Red Sea, then a ship to Bombay?

Pretty sure it's sailing all the way after the Suez Canal opened. The British had a continuous line of ports from Gibraltar to Bombay (and onwards to Singapore and Hong Kong) which made these journeys very routine.