The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

R16 - Info/Teams
R16

The Round of 16 will consist of 2 gamethreads with 8 teams in each and 8 voting options with a maximum of 4 votes per voter. Voters will vote for which 4 in each thread they feel should progress to the QF's. Managers will be allowed a 250 word pitch for their side inc. link to profile posts.

Deadline Sunday 3 PM GMT. Those who don’t submit before deadline will enter a blank teamsheet.

No posting of humongous player profiles or gifs is allowed thereafter, just plain text discussion to specifically address points raised by others about their teams. Managers not complying with this will be alerted and potentially disqualified if they keep at it.

Usual matchthreads and rules apply for QF and onwards.

dsfsfsfsdfffffffffff.jpg

-

R16 Teams:

P-Nut
- Yaya Touré, Roberto Carlos, Lahm, Masopust, Iniesta, Luis Suarez, Sergio Ramos, Preud'Homme, Arjen Robben, Redondo, Juninho, Akis Zikos, Rio Ferdinand, Yashin

Moby
- Puskás, Neuer, Salif Diao, Jon Flanagan, Filip Rada, M. Laudrup, Ruggeri, Blokhin, Coluna, Messi, J. S. Verón, Abidal, Kaltz, John O'Shea

Enigma
- Xavi, Tigana, Arturo Vidal, Eusébio, Krol, Vasovic, Rensenbrink, Fillol, Best, Malbernat, Reuter, Titus Bramble, Godín, Ronaldinho

Raees
- Mark Fish, Crouch, Maier, van Basten, May, Bergkamp, Djalma Santos, Deschamps, Schwarzenbeck, Jairzinho, Nedved, Gérson, Nasazzi, Bossis

Chesterlestreet
- Boniek, Facchetti, Lato, Rivera, Haan, Gerets, Rijsbergen, Zito, Altafini, Zoff, Francisco Sá, Ondruš, Vogts, De Rossi

Downcast
- Eto'o, Verratti, Scirea, Gary Breen, Clemence, Moore, Robson, J. A. Camacho, Platini, Olguín, Ribéry, Hamrin, Winston Bogarde, Garrincha

Skizzo/Annah
- Liedholm, Hellström, Kvarme, Kopa, Samaras, Hansen, Vierchowod, Guardiola, Sívori, P. Maldini, Cerezo, Salihamidžić, Nordahl, Finney

Joga Bonito
- Matthäus, Bogdan Vătăjelu, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Neeskens, Carlos Alberto, Rep, Brehme, Rudolph Hiden, Francescoli, Montero, Schnellinger, Kocsis, Baggio

Bepo
- Stoichkov, Maradona, Sinama Pongolle, Lee Cattermole, Puyol, Davids, Henrik Larsen, Passarella, Dida, Tevez, Thiago Motta, Emlyn Hughes, Cabrini, Beckham

harms
- Vidić, Fran Rico, Rummenigge, Figo, Blomqvist, Kluivert, Zanetti, P. R. Falcão, Thuram, Rijkaard, Higuita, Arda Turan, Frank Sinclair, Djemba-Djemba

DavidG
- Johnstone, Makélélé, Klavan, Jonjo Shelvey, Dani Alves, Buffon, Thiago Silva, Jarni, Juan Alberto Schiaffino, Overmars, Jardel, Sebastián Eguren, Ayala, Duncan Edwards

Tuppet
- Enrico Albertosi, Monti, Żmuda, Gerd Müller, Biscan, Figueroa, Breitner, Ferrara, Orsi, Del Piero, Sorin, Czibor, Bebe, Effenberg

onenil
- Chumpitaz, Sócrates, Claudio Bravo, Rivaldo, Santamaría, Obdulio Varela, Didi, Zambrotta, Henry, Rojo, Camoranesi, Nílton Santos, V. R. Andrade, Ronaldo

Cal?
- Paul McGregor, Zlatan, Cannavaro, Kaká, Smicer, Neymar, Modrić, Gattuso, Evra, J. F. Cevallos, Cristiano Ronaldo, Dirk Marcellis, Kohler, G. Neville

Pat_Mustard
- Alberto Spencer, Jonas Olsson, Kempes, Matthews, Tardelli, Desailly, Pagliuca, Barnes, Burgnich, Pavoni, Scholes, Hierro, Schmeichel, Cruyff

RedTiger/Peyroteo
- John Charles, Abreu, Konchesky, Gullit, Cristian Rodríguez, Keane, Casillas, Koeman, Vieira, José Augusto, Pelé, Costacurta, Bergomi, Giggs

Last edited:
R16 - Threads - Deadline to submit formation/writeup: Sunday 3 PM GMT
R16 - Thread 1
P-Nut0712
Cal?
RedTiger/Peyroteo
Chesterlestreet
Enigma
Pat
Bepo
DavidG

Last edited:
R16 - Thread 2

Raees
Skizzo/Annah
harms
Downcast
Joga
onenil
Moby
Tuppet

Last edited:
Nah. I can say 2 were well ahead then there were 4 teams closely fighting for the remaining 2 spots.
Fair enough. I can understand why you guys wouldn't want to disclose that information.

However, I'm still curious as to what the issue is with my team. I can understand Pepe standing out as possibly the worst player and Donadoni looking like he wouldn't fit in, but I don't see what else was wrong with my team.

Fair enough. I can understand why you guys wouldn't want to disclose that information.

However, I'm still curious as to what the issue is with my team. I can understand Pepe standing out as possibly the worst player and Donadoni looking like he wouldn't fit in, but I don't see what else was wrong with my team.
I don't think that something was wrong with your team, pretty much all teams are well drafted and don't have glaring issues, but the lack of oomph up front probably cost you :( It's fecking heartbreaking too see someone getting eliminated.

Great job on the compilation!

By the way, why didn't you switch Luisito and van Hanegem?

What's with the match-ups?

Thought the whole point was voting for four teams (out of 8) based on general strength.

It's obvious that a match-up scenario will influence the vote, and who you're drawn against is as random as always.

What's with the match-ups?

Thought the whole point was voting for four teams (out of 8) based on general strength.

It's obvious that a match-up scenario will influence the vote, and who you're drawn against is as random as always.
Just went by OP.

By the way, why didn't you switch Luisito and van Hanegem?
Luisito frequently involved himself on the left half of the pitch for both club and country. He would almost exclusively drift into the left channels both as an attacking midfielder and a B2B midfielder.

In contrast, van Hanegem was more comfortable in the right half. There are many clips of him taking up positions there and advancing in the right half of the pitch.

Having said that, both weren't strictly set to their sides, of course.

See what you're saying though, @Chesterlestreet.

No big deal, mate.

The stage will be dealt with more quickly, which I like.

To me, though, the match-up feature isn't necessary, and at worst it will lead to the same old match tread dynamics, only in a mini format

Put it like this - how many of the voters will favour teams that lose the match-up? Point being that if the idea is to send the top four through, the match-up feature doesn't seem logical - it pretty much invites the voters to go with the four winners (of the four match-ups), which may or may not be the four strongest teams in the mix.

No matter, though - we'll just see how it plays out. Lessons will be learned no matter what.

No big deal, mate.

To me, though, the match-up feature isn't necessary, and at worst it will lead to the same old match tread dynamics, only in a mini format

Put it like this - how many of the voters will favour teams that lose the match-up? Point being that if the idea is to send the top four through, the match-up feature doesn't seem logical - it pretty much invites the voters to go with the four winners (of the four match-ups), which may or may not be the four strongest teams in the mix.

No matter, though - we'll just see how it plays out. Lessons will be learned no matter what.
I like your idea more tbh. Let's see what anto thinks whenever he comes online, i've informed him. So, subject to change atm.

Looks like an interesting match up with one obvious stand out name on the park

lost games with better players so dont worry about that :D but yeah, should be a interesting match up.

He would almost exclusively drift into the left channels both as an attacking midfielder and a B2B midfielder.

Hmmm, wouldn't really say that's the case. He was equally at ease on both flanks/channels and has quite a number of assists to his name from crosses on the right (assisted a goal in the Euros 1964 final with a great run down the right and a cross, assisted Kocsis's last minute equaliser in the European Cup semis against Hamburg and also followed it up by assisting Kocsis once again in the ensuing final against Benfica with another gorgeous cross from the right).

0.12s

0.06s

2.54 (What a cross and a bullet-head by the Golden Head :drool:)

www.dailymotion.com/video/x4olu8r

A good video highlighting his versatility and ease on both flanks from the same game - iirc (can't watch the vid now), he plays as a LAM and a RAM in a midfield trio in each half and on whichever flank he tended towards, the winger's performance improved exponentially - such was his link-up play and strength on the flanks.

EDIT: Just stumbled across this goal too, which is a work of art,

0.24 s

Was quite the goalscorer in his younger days as an AM (scoring 14 goals in 20 caps for Spain and averaged one-in-two for Barcelona). Heh, could go on talking about him but you must have been quite some player to be coined the Architect by none other than di Stefano himself and be labelled the most important player of a legendary defensive side - La Grande Inter - by Facchetti and Helenio Herrera himself.

Last edited:
Crazy that Mazhar went out. I didn't expect that.

Also @The Stain I also thought it would be group stage matches of just groups then vote for your top teams.

Sharemyshite is useless on the phone. That second arrow option keeps popping up at random, only half the team shows up when I hit «submit», etc.

Had to use footballuser. So no arrows.

@Joga Bonito

I made a mistake in mentioning Luisito hanging out exclusively on the left even as an AM. You're right in that he had more of a free role, and he was so, so good as an AM as well! His goalscoring record was insane, and his dribbling really came to the fore in that role as well as his movement and link-up play.

Now, Luisito the CM was more disciplined, which explains why any Inter/post-'64 Spain matches that I watch of him show him staying on the left side more often (case in point: Spain vs. Argentina in the '66 World Cup), but Luisito the AM was indeed an exciting player.

No big deal, mate.

We will do this.

No X vs. Y, just the top 8 and bottom 8 in different gamethreads were people vote for the four best teams.

Again, we may have managers feeling like they leave empty handed having not played a "proper match" but the entire point was having a fun draft and also trying new formats to cut down on games.

For better or worse we will learn from it.

Now, the final 8, prepare to get roasted with the reinforcement mechanics :devil:

We will do this.

No X vs. Y, just the top 8 and bottom 8 in different gamethreads were people vote for the four best teams.

Again, we may have managers feeling like they leave empty handed having not played a "proper match" but the entire point was having a fun draft and also trying new formats to cut down on games.

For better or worse we will learn from it.

Now, the final 8, prepare to get roasted with the reinforcement mechanics :devil:

Maybe phrase the question as if these teams were in a league who would qualify for the CL spots or something along those lines for the competitive junkies.

Luisito frequently involved himself on the left half of the pitch for both club and country. He would almost exclusively drift into the left channels both as an attacking midfielder and a B2B midfielder.

In contrast, van Hanegem was more comfortable in the right half. There are many clips of him taking up positions there and advancing in the right half of the pitch.

Having said that, both weren't strictly set to their sides, of course.
Joga already answered about Suarez, and van Hanegem was usually playing closer to the left
Be it in a restricted role for Netherlands

Or in a free Cruyff-ish role for Feyenoord

1 gamethread means 8 teams---> So, the idea is just to vote against the 4 worst teams as we just did with crappy/eap/gio/mazhar?

It's good to have less threads created and less games: 7 usual games now against 15 in the previous format

Last edited: