Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is that guy who said in this thread that Rafa was playing up the injury against Fritz and that he wasn’t actually injured?

It was an idiotic statement back then, and more so right now.

I think Rafa probably should have retired before the end of his match against him. Not fair

If Fritz couldn’t beat a 60% Rafa then he doesn’t deserve to be in the semis to be fair.

Well, my apologies to all of you for falsely accusing Nadal for acting that he is injured. I hope Rafa recovers soon.

*sigh* He was so close. So close.

Again, CYGS ended by injury. This is tragic.

But,hopefully he recovers and takes the US Open. But it's sad. He's said many times he wants to win Wimbledon again.

Where is that guy who said in this thread that Rafa was playing up the injury against Fritz and that he wasn’t actually injured?

It was an idiotic statement back then, and more so right now.

If Fritz couldn’t beat a 60% Rafa then he doesn’t deserve to be in the semis to be fair.

I dunno, Nadal is still clear of most tennis players even when injured, especially those that are relatively new to GS Quarter finals. It doesn’t sit right with me that a player can get a bye into a final of a tournament.

I dunno, Nadal is still clear of most tennis players even when injured, especially those that are relatively new to GS Quarter finals. It doesn’t sit right with me that a player can get a bye into a final of a tournament.

I agree. Give it to Fed, you never know...

WOATledon

-No Henman or Federer for the first time since 1982
-Russian ban
-STILL covid withdrawals
-Rafa injury
-2 douchebags in the final

Save Us Norrie.

When a player has to retire before a game in tennis, the player he beat in the last round should take his place.

It's a huge advantage to the player who gets a free round otherwise.

When a player has to retire before a game in tennis, the player he beat in the last round should take his place.

It's a huge advantage to the player who gets a free round otherwise.
Or he could be undercooked ahead of the final?

Really unfortunate for Rafa after his heroics in the quarters. When I saw he’d withdrawn I for some reason thought Fritz would get put back in the semi automatically.

Clearly doesn’t work that way but it’s a shame we’ll only have one semi. Fritz vs, Kygrios would have been great to watch.

Or he could be undercooked ahead of the final?

Hardly, they've played a marathon of tennis this week.

It's not like in football where you have a week or two between games and might get rusty. Missing a game during this schedule is nothing but positive.

If I remember correctly, Djokovic won a world tour finals with a bye when Federer withdrew due to an injury. He played a quick exhibition with Murray so the crowd got to watch some tennis.

Yeah, not playing matches at Grand Slams is double edge sword. You think extra days rest is good, but your competitive edge goes down a bit. Djokovic got a retirement from someone in 2011 at RG ahead of Federer match and then lost to Federer sort of easily. I think it's fair to say that Novak is better clay courter than Federer and Novak entered that semi undefeated for the entire year (winning Rome and Madrid by beating Nadal in finals of each without dropping a set). Hard to tell if 1 match break had any impact. I think it did.

Novak lost to Kyrg in 2017 twice. Did not break Kyrg's serve but Kyrg had hard time breaking Novak as well. 2017 was Novak's worst season. Didn't win anything of importance that year. Not even 500 tournament. Djokovic is a heavy favorite but if he enters the match as he did against Medvedev at USO last year, anything can happen. I am sure Kyrg will feel massive nerves as well. Playing in your first GS final and to have 4 days to think about it must be very difficult.

Anyhow, I am honestly disgusted with myself for accusing Nadal. I honestly thought what I thought and I was very wrong. As much as I dislike Nadal, I never would wish him any sort of injury. It's a real shame that he didn't get injury free attempt at CYGS this year. I humbly think he wouldn't have gotten it, but without an injury at least he would have had a chance to attack it.

Hardly, they've played a marathon of tennis this week.

It's not like in football where you have a week or two between games and might get rusty. Missing a game during this schedule is nothing but positive.
It depends on the player to be honest, it's not always a positive but given the stage of the tournament we're at you're probabl right. I think in Kyrgios's case it definitely is a positive though. He's played plenty of grass matches and isn't a player that needs to play consistently to get into form either.

I think just emotionally, beating Nadal and Djokovic back to back in best of 5 sets would have been too much for him anyway.

It depends on the player to be honest, it's not always a positive but given the stage of the tournament we're at you're probabl right. I think in Kyrgios's case it definitely is a positive though. He's played plenty of grass matches and isn't a player that needs to play consistently to get into form either.

I think just emotionally, beating Nadal and Djokovic back to back in best of 5 sets would have been too much for him anyway.

That's a fair point about players who might not be so experienced on a particular surface. I hadn't considered that.

Kyrgios might win a slam final without ever winning a slam SF.
To be honest, I don't think he stands a chance against Novak.

Your serve means much less against him. He's the greatest returner in the game. Anderson, Raonic and others found this out very quickly.
And nobody competes with Nadal and Djokovic in groundstrokes, except Fed.

So, where does that really leave Kyrgios? A player with talent but no game plan, impatience, no desire to grind and "suffer" as Nadal would say and whose mental headspace can collapse at any moment.

Against, well, the ultimate metronome who has found that gear again. The wall that just keeps giving it back.

I can't see Kyrgios taking a set, as I think Novak will have something a little extra for him, provided he beats Norrie first.

Your serve means much less against him. He's the greatest returner in the game. Anderson, Raonic and others found this out very quickly.

So, where does that really leave Kyrgios? A player with talent but no game plan, impatience, no desire to grind and "suffer" as Nadal would say and whose mental headspace can collapse at any moment.

Against, well, the ultimate metronome who has found that gear again. The wall that just keeps giving it back.

I can't see Kyrgios taking a set, as I think Novak will have something a little extra for him, provided he beats Norrie first.
Though I think Novak will win, you're under rating krygios here. He's beat both djokovic and Nadal In the past, he is a good player. Certainly good enough to win a set against Novak.

The feck am I reading, people feeling sorry for Fritz or saying Rafa should've just retired so Fritz could play in the semis.

Absolutely feck that. Fritz couldn't beat Nadal on half his power. He doesn't deserve to be in the semis any more than any other QF loser does.

Most likely outcome but Kyrgios on his day can really up his game. I'm hoping he gives Djokovic a run for his money. Who knows, it might just be his day. I know Djokovic is an absolute machine but having 8 years on him must count for something?

The feck am I reading, people feeling sorry for Fritz or saying Rafa should've just retired so Fritz could play in the semis.

Absolutely feck that. Fritz couldn't beat Nadal on half his power. He doesn't deserve to be in the semis any more than any other QF loser does.

I think for me it’s more that a player is getting into the final without even ‘earning’ it so to speak.

Kyrgios might be a cnut, but I don't want to see Djokovic win another GS unless he's playing Federer in a GS final. Kyrgios/Norrie for me.

I think for me it’s more that a player is getting into the final without even ‘earning’ it so to speak.
Yeah obviously I understand that such a thing doesn't sit right, but not sure what else could be done - calling Fritz back up would sit even worse with me, he lost fair and square against Nadal.

So a player should go into a SF without earning it instead?

im on the fence. There is a difference between playing and losing 3-2 to not even playing at all. It’s not fair but we know sport isn’t fair at times. There isn’t really a way to make it fair, it’s just an unfortunate thing but it still sits uneasy.

the concept of lucky loser exists.

You dislike Roger?
No I don't, love him. But I have placed a bet 5 years ago that Nadal would overtake him in GS and that was his last.

I want to be right, and every tennis lover around me prefers Federer, I really need Nadal to end as the GOAT.

No I don't, love him. But I have placed a bet 5 years ago that Nadal would overtake him in GS and that was his last.

I want to be right, and every tennis lover around me prefers Federer, I really need Nadal to end as the GOAT.
Well, Rafa is my GOAT :drool:

ATP is so bad right now. Djokovic is 1.05 with the bookies to win a grand slam semi final against the player ranked 12 in the world. How is this even real

I think Nick definitely stands a chance vs Novak, irrespective of how good the latter is. Nick is a strange guy who can't be arsed vs most players but really brings his A game and complete motivation vs the Top players. He's also 2-0 vs Novak and on his day, he can beat pretty much anyone. Novak is going to be a strong favorite but I do believe if Nick gets into a position to win like Sinner did, he'd be strong enough mentally to see it out.

I think Nick definitely stands a chance vs Novak, irrespective of how good the latter is. Nick is a strange guy who can't be arsed vs most players but really brings his A game and complete motivation vs the Top players. He's also 2-0 vs Novak and on his day, he can beat pretty much anyone. Novak is going to be a strong favorite but I do believe if Nick gets into a position to win like Sinner did, he'd be strong enough mentally to see it out.

Two tight losses Djokovic had against Kyrg were in the same year when Djokovic lost at AO to some guy named Dennis Istomin. For sure Kyrg has changes against Novak, but slam final might be too much. Nick's biggest final was Cincy 2017 and he lost it to Grigor Dimitrov of all people.

Dimitrov in 2017 was a very good player and almost took out Rafa at the AO in the semis. I wouldn’t use that as a knock necessarily.

That said, there is zero evidence Kyrgios can beat a Nadal or Djokovic in a best-of-5 unless they are terribly out of form.

Kyrgios might be the perfect person to wind up Djokovic and put him off a bit. However, Kyrgios does seem a lot more focused and determined to prove that he's quite a good tennis player as well so maybe he'll beat him anyway.

We're also assuming that Djokovic gets pass Norrie. If Norrie has the game of his life and Djokovic is off a bit anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.