Television Taskmaster | Series 18 starts tonight

The prize task and popcorn necklace were utterly rubbish, so was half the sports task (I thought Alan and Victoria were fun enough). I quite enjoyed the face task and the live one though. Below par episode but still decent enough.

Thought this was a very funny episode. Loved Alan's phone call to a girl he had not spoken to in years and just yawned down the phone to her and hung up

Thought this was a very funny episode. Loved Alan's phone call to a girl he had not spoken to in years and just yawned down the phone to her and hung up

I was hoping he’d call the water company. They keep you on the phone for ages anyway.

Think Morgana probably deserves to win on balance. Though it's unusual for someone who cares as little as Gus to be this close.

Clever thing to do with the phone one would be to phone the DWP, or somewhere similar that puts you in a queue.

I thought the task was to have the person they called say the code word the quickest

Clever thing to do with the phone one would be to phone the DWP, or somewhere similar that puts you in a queue.

Didn't it say you have to have a conversation with someone? So technically that wouldn't be a conversation?

Wouldn't the makers have to get permission from the people to use their audio on the show?

Finale tonight followed by announcement of next season line up.

rumoured to be Rhys James, Chris Ramsey, Tom Davies, someone from this year's Strictly and who knows

Morgana deserved winner.

I have no idea who anyone in the new line up is. Might be a good thing.

I’m not Irish.

I’m sure it was a funny show at the time but as everything with a laugh track, it’s likely not aged well.
All my favourite sitcoms have laughter tracks (or studio audiences), as I much prefer the warmer, humour for humour's sake sitcoms from the 70's-90's (including Father Ted), to the cringeworthy / political humour of the 2000's style mockumentaries.

As for the line up for Series 13: I've heard of them all, but none are comedians that I particularly watch or laugh at (apart from Ardal O'Hanlon as Dougal). The first 7 series had plenty of my favourite comedians / panel show guests, since then there haven't been anywhere near as many and the next series line up is continuing that trend.

Still really looking forward to it, but more for Greg, Alex and the tasks rather than for the announced contestants.

Great season that, finished off by a very good final task. Properly giggled at that one. Morgana a worthy winner.

Next season not so great, but we'll see I guess.

I think we’ve learned by now we can’t really judge a series based on the contestants in this show though. Sorry to beat an old horse/meme but I kept hearing bad things about Desiree and she was actually quite good!

If anything, Victoria was probably one of the worst this series, and everyone was excited to see her name.

I think we’ve learned by now we can’t really judge a series based on the contestants in this show though. Sorry to beat an old horse/meme but I kept hearing bad things about Desiree and she was actually quite good!

If anything, Victoria was probably one of the worst this series, and everyone was excited to see her name.
I think that works for people you're unfamiliar with - don't go off what others think of them beforehand, good or bad, as humour is subjective and you've got to see them for yourself to judge.

However when you're fully familiar with the comedians from plenty of other shows then it's usually a good indication whether you'll enjoy them on Taskmaster. I enjoyed Victoria - in the incompetent, and irritated about it, way that I anticipated. And since you mentioned Desiree - I did predict before the show that, while not my type of comedian at all, I expected that she'll probably prove popular with plenty of viewers. And while I found her a lot more bearable than I feared, she still wasn't my type of comedian for humour but I imagine she was mostly well received by others.

From a group, I'm usually fully familiar with 4 or 5 of them from many panel shows so pretty much know the types of humour they'll adopt and which I'm likely to prefer. And this group is no different - although Ardal O'Hanlon is an interesting one as I know him more as an actor than seeing him on panel shows so I'm not sure how he'll be as himself.

Last edited:
I’m not Irish.

I’m sure it was a funny show at the time but as everything with a laugh track, it’s likely not aged well.
The creator is a shit person and there are moments in that and The IT Crowd that have definitely not aged well but it also has many classic moments and quotes that I'm 100% sure will be repeated either in this thread or twitter during the time the tasks air. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even tasks inspired by some of the moments

Who is Judi love? The rest I’ve either eeen a bit of on tv or heard in podcasts so think it’ll be a pretty good series.

Didnt Morgana win basically by swearing at Alex early doors?

Last edited:
Who is Judi love? The rest I’ve either eeen a bit of on tv or heard in podcasts so think it’ll be a pretty good series.
She's a comedian who I've seen on a few panel shows and my memory is that she was a bit of a cross between Alison Hammond and Gemma Collins.

Last edited:
She's a comedian who I've seen on a few panel shows and my memory is that she was a bit of a cross between Alison Hammond and Gemma Collins.

Not one that I was overly pleased to see was on here but let's see how she conducts herself on Taskmaster and I'm sure most will find her fine.

I didn’t even need to check who posted this :lol:

Oh wow, Bertie definitely has a "type" he doesn't like.
Can we please not go into all this again.

I answered the question about who Judi Love is. I should have left it there, but added that she's not my type of comedian - before also adding that we'll see how she goes on Taskmaster and that I'm surely many will like her.

As for my 'type'. Yep, it's already been established that I find a certain type of comedy unfunny. That 'type' was portrayed in earlier series by Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling, the last series by Desiree Burch and, maybe (we'll see) the next series by Judi Love. The last two just happen to have been the two series since I joined the site. Had I been on here during the Lou and Iain series then I'd have posted the same about them - and have included both in earlier posts about the 'type' of humour that I find hard work.

Didnt Morgana win basically by swearing at Alex early doors?
Sort of yeah. :lol:
She was my favourite contestant this series, a worthy winner.

Not one that I was overly pleased to see was on here but let's see how she conducts herself on Taskmaster and I'm sure most will find her fine.
FFS bertie :lol:

Can we please not go into all this again.

I answered the question about who Judi Love is. I should have left it there, but added that she's not my type of comedian - before also adding that we'll see how she goes on Taskmaster and that I'm surely many will like her.

As for my 'type'. Yep, it's already been established that I find a certain type of comedy unfunny. That 'type' was portrayed in earlier series by Lou Sanders and Iain Stirling, the last series by Desiree Burch and, maybe (we'll see) the next series by Judi Love. The last two just happen to have been the two series since I joined the site. Had I been on here during the Lou and Iain series then I'd have posted the same about them - and have included both in earlier posts about the 'type' of humour that I find hard work.

You’ve never mentioned Desiree Burch before.

FFS bertie :lol:
What? Do you think my comedy tastes have suddenly changed since the start of the last series?

It's been established which type of humour I like and which I don't. The group of panelists are chosen in a quite formulaic way each series to cover many things including different types of humour.

And I've made it quite clear that I'm not fond of the type of humour that, in my opinion, the likes of Lou Sanders, Iain Stirling, Johnny Vegas and others were selected to cover. And, having seen her on a number of panel shows, I think Judi Love is the one selected for that role this season.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. I intended just to allude to it in one line of one post so it's already a bigger issue than I intended and don't want it to get a running joke like last time.