Sturridge - Sky’s new entertainer :(

Imagine it’s not worth most modern players’ time, given what they’ve earned in their careers compared to the older guys.

Richards and Sturridge both sort of fell flat before they were due any big pay days so maybe why they have got into it.

Saw a tweet that made a mention of CBS and it looks as though Sky are going down that route. To be honest, Sky's pre and post match coverage needs a shake up.

Why does anyone watch the punditry? It always absolutely baffles me. Obviously watching Micah Richards and Sturridge will be annoying so - just turn off?

Christ, could they have found anyone more annoying?

giphy.gif

Both of them complain about players not working hard enough. That's what their analysis comes down to in a lot of scenarios. There are only two pundits with great tactical input. Neville and Carragher. The rest are personalities.
I don’t know if he’s on in the UK, but Henry is worth listening to on paramount plus for the champions league games when he’s talking about the details of being a top level striker.

I get the feeling Sky Football coverage want viral videos rather than expert analysis these days. They’d rather have a video of Roy Keane reacting to zoomer talk than have some in-depth analysis of a game.

I‘m guessing everyone just mutes the TV when the footballs not happening, because of the punditry and the million ads they put on?

I’ve never really liked Sky’s coverage as I’ve got older. I find it grandiose and at times sanctimonious.

Random thought. Has anyone ever seen any young, ex-pro pundit on Tv who impressed them? Maybe they’re all terrible and Sturridge is the best of a bad bunch?
He isn’t young but Danny Higginbotham is brilliant tactically, but he isn’t a glamorous name so he’s constantly overlooked.

Sky is absolutely atrocious these days, it’s changed it’s target audience and every show just seems to be pandering to the tik tok generation, with talentless douchebag presenters/guests taking over.

I'm struggling to think of many ex-players under about 40-45 who had successful careers at the top of the game who aren't already pundits, or doing their own media online, or in management, or too dull to be on TV. Seems like quite lucky timing for Sturridge in that sense.

At least in a few years we'll get the likes of Kane, Henderson, Milner and Kyle Walker giving us their fascinating insights...On second thought, maybe bring back Michael Owen to announcr that whoever scores more will probably win.

Yeah.

Like @GlasgowCeltic said, if they just wanted a City pundit to balance out the United/Liverpool thing Nedum Onuoha is always interesting....but they're looking for VIRAL MOMENTS which he won't bring.

Edit - shit, forgot Micah Richards is a City pundit. Even less idea why they chose Sturridge.

Damn he’s got a decent voice!

I like how he interacts with Keano!

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.

The thing that irks me is that Souness and Keane were giants of the game, their teams and big European names at their respective times.

Even Carragher and Neville won big titles (mainly Neville).

Sturridge and Richards have won feck all in the game, and weren’t even ‘seasoned’ PL players or important for their teams. Why are they getting such good punditry jobs?

Does this matter. As the poster above mentioned Nedum Onouha is an ex player who offers outstanding insight and should be getting this sort of gig. Far better than listening to a giant of a game that you appear to seek like Michael Owen

He isn’t young but Danny Higginbotham is brilliant tactically, but he isn’t a glamorous name so he’s constantly overlooked.

Sky is absolutely atrocious these days, it’s changed it’s target audience and every show just seems to be pandering to the tik tok generation, with talentless douchebag presenters/guests taking over.
Yeah agreed have always found Danny to be really good, definitely deserves a bigger opportunity.

Would anyone like to see more non footballers involved in these things? Brassell, Horncastle, Bandini, Sid Lowe, Melissa Reddy…no one would watch that show I’m sure but I’d love it. James Richardson or Jules Breach could host it. That’s basically a podcast supercard. Mix in some ex players who can talk.

probably the middle ground is finding insightful articulate ex players who surely must exist, but again the target audience is a bit thick so I guess sky aren’t picking up what they’re putting down. Surely there is some dutch/French/German ex pro football pervert with some charisma?

sounness wasn’t good on Sky so I don’t miss him but replacing bad with bad isn’t an improvement. He did have the CV to back it up at least. He had a few stand out moments on RTE though: a problematic one being the rape comment, which was bizarre, and a brilliant one being calling out that bullshitter Dunphy.

Wait, people don't just turn Sky on at the first whistle, mute it at 45, and then turn the tv off when the final whistle blows?

Didn't pay much attention today but I felt he was pretty good when he covered this very same fixture last season.

Football punditry is well well below what we get in other sports anyway, if Sky/BT etc can't be bothered to source the best in class when it comes to analysing the game and what not they may aswell as give it to people who have a bit of personality about them.

Did anyone else see the strange altercation between him and Micah Richards? Not sure if he's just deadpan or what but there was something he was saying Micah was putting words in his mouth and it was all a bit weird.

I don’t know if he’s on in the UK, but Henry is worth listening to on paramount plus for the champions league games when he’s talking about the details of being a top level striker.
Unfortunately, he rarely is. I've seen him on the BBC the odd time during international games, but it's pretty rare. I've seen the clips of him on Twitter during CL games. Him, Carragher, and Richards look pretty good together in the clips I've seen. I did see a clip of him giving advice to Haaland after the CL final. That was pretty good.

I wonder if Keane himself is getting irritated at Sky Sports "memeing" every comment or look he does. Most of the time he clearly isn't joking like Sky try and pretend.

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.

Wow. I'm rarely speechless, but my word.

They're going for the stuff that Henry, Richards, Abdo etc do. Stuff they can post to Twitter and Tiktok in 30 second nuggets of "LOOK!"

Being honest, who actually cares about the punditry and analysis on these shows anyway? Half time and post-match is generally 15 minutes. In that 15 minutes, you get; ads, back from ads, "Talk us through the goal/s" ads, back from ads, ads for for their own platform's shows, back to the match/program over.

Why does anyone watch the punditry? It always absolutely baffles me. Obviously watching Micah Richards and Sturridge will be annoying so - just turn off?
People should be thankful for the extended stoppage time as that'll shorten the time between games on Saturdays and Sundays.

Yeah.

Like @GlasgowCeltic said, if they just wanted a City pundit to balance out the United/Liverpool thing Nedum Onuoha is always interesting....but they're looking for VIRAL MOMENTS which he won't bring.

Edit - shit, forgot Micah Richards is a City pundit. Even less idea why they chose Sturridge.

He's a better singer than he is a pundit.

They've got Richards and Sturridge because they're both ex City. It's just like in the 00s when they had Lawrenson and Hansen on the BBC. That was to combat United being dominant, so they got a couple of players from the team that dominated before us for...reasons. Obviously with these two City guys they're just preparing for the end of the season when the City period of dominance and two decades of Ten Hag's empire reigns supreme.

Last edited:
He described something as "calm" like he'd been watching a bit too much Top Boy.

Wait, people don't just turn Sky on at the first whistle, mute it at 45, and then turn the tv off when the final whistle blows?

I sit down just as they kick off. Literally, as they're about to put foot to ball. Then immediately turn off when the whistle goes. I can't think of anything worse than tuning in half hour - or sometimes an hour - before kick off to listen to all that inane chit-chatter. None of them say anything interesting. Keane is just a meme at this point.

He's a better singer than he is a pundit.

They've got Richards and Sturridge because they're both ex City. It's just like in the 00s when they had Lawrenson and Hansen on the BBC. That was to combat United being dominant, so they got a couple of players from the team that dominated before us for...reasons. Obviously with these two City guys they're just preparing for the end of the season when the City period of dominance and two decades of Ten Hag's empire reigns supreme.

No-one associates Sturridge with City do they? His main stuff was Chelsea and Liverpool.

Exactly this for any non United game.

Do for United games, lapping up the feel good if we win, soaking up the misery pouring over a defeat.

They're obviously targeting a younger demographic who like these antics. I worked with a young lad a while back who liked Micah Richards and shared all his clipped up meme moments, even as a huge Liverpool fan. He'll be lapping Sturridge up for sure.

All I can say is it certainly isn't for me; I switch on at kick-off, off at half time, on at the start of the second half and off again at the full time whistle these days (admittedly I may catch up with Keane wiping the floor with somebody/Neville or Carra making a tit of themselves if a clip does the rounds).

I get the feeling Sky Football coverage want viral videos rather than expert analysis these days. They’d rather have a video of Roy Keane reacting to zoomer talk than have some in-depth analysis of a game.

I‘m guessing everyone just mutes the TV when the footballs not happening, because of the punditry and the million ads they put on?

I’ve never really liked Sky’s coverage as I’ve got older. I find it grandiose and at times sanctimonious.
Yeah it’s gone downhill massively. They used to be great for insight, and to be fair Monday night football still has it, but the live coverage suffers when they put clicks and views over analysis.

I’ve never in my 39 years sent an email of complaint but I’m going to have to.

Agreed. I used to watch punditry when I was a kid. When you get older you realize there's only so many ways to say the same ould shite over and over again.