Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

It’s weird how certain managers need certain clubs to succeed at. Emery was rubbish at arsenal but may have found his perfect club in villa.

Emery is a top professional, a shrewd coach and a brilliant men manager… his Span-english and the Partridgesque demeanour make him a mockery, undeservedly.

Not sure why I'm defending Stevie G but...

Did he not objectively do brilliantly at Rangers?

He did really well there. People will undermine it by talking about the money spent and the lack of cups, but he took the title back off a Celtic side that were so used to winning. Not only that, he had some brilliant performances in Europe against sides they had no right to be competing against.

Some will talk it down because it’s funny to watch him fail, but he did a good job there. I think, in a more competitive league, with a much better standard of coaching, having that respect for the player you were wasn’t enough.

Emery is in another league as a tactician and it shows.

I'm scratching my head as to why Emery didn't take the Newcastle job? Yes much as any trophy will be tainted, if their owners follow through then they will surely have a much higher ceiling than Villa.

Just praying Klopp walks at Liverpool knowing he’s done as much as he can against City’s oil money and they get Slippy G in.

I'm scratching my head as to why Emery didn't take the Newcastle job? Yes much as any trophy will be tainted, if their owners follow through then they will surely have a much higher ceiling than Villa.

Higher chance of the owners being impatient and pulling the trigger on him if let's say Tuchel or something of that ilk becomes available. I would wager Villa will be far more patient with him than he would get at a lot of other clubs because he is among the best managers they can attract at this point.

That’s what happens when you’ve got a proper manager in charge. Yet pundits would have you think Stevie me was hard done by and deserved more time. If they gave him more time they’d be in a relegation scrap not chasing a European spot.

Well said. Emry is clearly a top manager and coach.
Just look at what he was achieved with Watkins.

It’s weird how certain managers need certain clubs to succeed at. Emery was rubbish at arsenal but may have found his perfect club in villa.
He wasn't rubbish. He wasn't smooth enough for the fans/media.

He wasn't rubbish at Arsenal, but I think he's a manager that's better with an underdog.
He had to contend with a turf war between backroom factions jockeying for power in the post-Wenger vacuum. His time there couldn’t have been easy or enjoyable.

Though your underdog bit may well be right.

Until this season, I don't think Emery was any worse than Arteta Arsenal. Arteta 2020-2020 PL start was worse than Emery run that saw him getting the sacked. Arteta got 14 points from 14 games! Whereas Emery got 18 point off 13 games then got sacked. Emery was higher on the table than Arteta at same stage of the following season. Arteta ended his first full season worse than Emery only full season at Arsenal.

This article is ridiculous… it’s suggesting this club has the ambition of “closing the 35 points gap” on the league winners (coaches by Nino Santo)…. A quick look at the table tells us the club in question -the one about to sign Gerrard- finished 9 points ahead of relegated teams and since getting promoted 8 years ago it has never finished closer (point-wise) to the top than to relegated teams…

We can say Slippy G really found his level.

PL jobs are gone for good but he could do absolute shite over there and still walk into a Championship job just because of his name.

"He's no stranger to silverware. A Legend who brings a glorious history and exciting future to Ettifaq," the Saudi team added.

Sure, Jan.

They get about 1-3k fans against most of the teams until they face a top Saudi team and attendance rises to 14k. Yet the capacity is 26k. Real long way to go for the league.