Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Good busy first hour then started to make a few bad errors.

If nothing else his energy would have benefited a few of the midfield set ups this season.
I'm pretty sure that he had cramps, he was stretching his legs when the ball was far from him and he started making errors after that.

Aint gota Kalou

He has a couple of shocking moments every game. At least he knows his limitations, can compete physically and consistently passes to his teammates. Probably more than any other DM we have

Bobski

I'm pretty sure that he had cramps, he was stretching his legs when the ball was far from him and he started making errors after that.
Lack of game time a factor.

I don't think he is very good but the lack of mobility and energy in midfield has been a huge issue all season and at least defensively Mainoo and Amrabat seemed to be more compact and solid today. The guy leaves it all out there, can appreciate that as a quality.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did well but what a dud he predictedably has been.

Thank feck it wasn't a permanent signing

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Amrabat was mostly decent, but still has several of those brainfart passes every game that could easily have cost us.

Our midfield was more solid than usual, but I think that's down to the fact that we basically went back to last season's system - him and Mainoo were mostly sitting, rather than just having one sit with the other two midfielders pushed up as 10s.

Red Royal

He is nowhere near good enough bit should have been used a lit more to protect Casimero's legs.
Petty one of his better performances comes now.

Ekeke

He has a couple of shocking moments every game. At least he knows his limitations, can compete physically and consistently passes to his teammates. Probably more than any other DM we have
:confused:

If he knew his limitations he wouldnt play weak crossfield passes straight to an Arsenal player like he did today.

Abraxas

Bit of a clogger really. Just doesn't have the ability to cover the field, and a little bit clumsy at carrying the ball. Good passer. But I don't think you can have one attribute at this level, it takes a bit more than spraying a few nice passes. Will obviously be on his way out, hasn't quite worked as well as I thought it might.

KranjskaKlobasa

It there a stat site somewhere that tracks the number of slips per game for Sofyan? I'm guessing he is top of the league in that stat category.

TempusFugit

This forum can be so harsh when judging players. Amarabat has barely played this season and i thought he came into a tough game and did well apart from the few passing errors. No one's saying he's world-class but he's a physical presence and can at least sprint and win the ball.

If we want to have any chance against City we'll need to find a way to fit him in there. Playing a Casemiro who can barely move alongside 19yr old Mainoo and Bruno who plays wherever he wants is going to be horrible for us. To be honest at this point I'd drop Casemiro for Amarabat, provided that Varane and Martinez are back for the final. Give him the Newcastle and Brighton games to get into shape and then play him against City. He's our best option right now.

Ekeke

This forum can be so harsh when judging players. Amarabat has barely played this season and i thought he came into a tough game and did well apart from the few passing errors. No one's saying he's world-class but he's a physical presence and can at least sprint and win the ball.

If we want to have any chance against City we'll need to find a way to fit him in there. Playing a Casemiro who can barely move alongside 19yr old Mainoo and Bruno who plays wherever he wants is going to be horrible for us. To be honest at this point I'd drop Casemiro for Amarabat, provided that Varane and Martinez are back for the final. Give him the Newcastle and Brighton games to get into shape and then play him against City. He's our best option right now.
He played like a player in the bottom half of the table who is lucky not to be in a relegation battle. Which is the level he is

TempusFugit

He played like a player in the bottom half of the table who is lucky not to be in a relegation battle. Which is the level he is
Well if you've been watching us this season you'd have noticed that 90% of our performances are at that level as well. Look I'm not saying that Amarabat is elite, but let's face it he's our only midfielder in there who can actually impose himself on opponents and win the ball. We've been missing that for basically the entire season. He starts today and our midfield doesn't look as shambolic as usual, coincidence? I don't think so. Imagine Eriksen in there instead of him. Well we've seen that quite a few times this season and it hasn't been pretty to watch. I'll say it again, if we want to get anything left out of this season he needs to be starting games.

Devil81

You can feel his pain with every displaced pass. I thought that was supposed to be his bread and butter.

Other than that a mixed bag of a performance.

Ekeke

Well if you've been watching us this season you'd have noticed that 90% of our performances are at that level as well. Look I'm not saying that Amarabat is elite, but let's face it he's our only midfielder in there who can actually impose himself on opponents and win the ball. We've been missing that for basically the entire season. He starts today and our midfield doesn't look as shambolic as usual, coincidence? I don't think so. Imagine Eriksen in there instead of him. Well we've seen that quite a few times this season and it hasn't been pretty to watch. I'll say it again, if we want to get anything left out of this season he needs to be starting games.
It looked better than when we play Eriksen like the previous game, yes because Eriksen is a poor DM. Hes never been one. He's just there so we can cheat and have him play a nice pass or corner.

Amrabat will try and compete for the ball and is a deep midfielder. He's just a poor one

Casemiro got loads of stick in the first half of the season when he was playing in midfield and he always played better than Amrabat did today, but like Amrabat he made mistakes doing some easy run of the mill stuff thats infuriating. His performance was a much worse version of that and thats what he is

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While I do think this forum has been too harsh on Amrabat, him starting today was hardly the only (or main) difference. We played more compactly in general, with less space between the attack and defence and with Mainoo sitting a bit deeper. It's a setup that makes it quite a bit easier for the midfielders compared to the chaotic style we've been using for 95% of the matches this season.

cletus7

It’s odd that he’s not had more of a chance, given the state of the midfield. Definitely adds a degree of steel into a midfield made of marshmallow. Admittedly, he’s got a mistake in him and isn’t going to make it into Madrid’s midfield, but can’t get my head around why he’s had so few minutes under the circumstances.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Apart from a couple of ill judged passes that has stuck in everyone's head, he was very good I thought, used the ball sensibly and moved it quickly. Gave us a base alongside Mainoo. ETH reluctance to let him acclimatise to the league by giving him a run when he pushed for his signing is very odd.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Good game considering, should be starting with Mainoo and with Bruno back we might have some creativity.

Also I was in absolute disbelief when he stopped a counter with Trossard. I'm so used to watch people just walk past us, that's how low the bar is guys.

TempusFugit

Also I was in absolute disbelief when he stopped a counter with Trossard. I'm so used to watch people just walk past us, that's how low the bar is guys.
Right? Easily knocked Saka off the ball as well. We have a midfielder who can actually use his physicality to stamp out opposition attacks yet we'd rather play Eriksen/current Casemiro and watch them walked past like zombies week after week. Amrabat is not world-class but he's our best option at DM. Play him.

AndyMUFC

I don't think he's been great but we are more solid with him in the team. He played at Anfield too when we got that 0-0.

He's another one of those players, like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire, that would be good in a low block team. Unfortunately we've got too many of them.

eire-red

Not good enough on the ball, but we actually had a decent structure in midfield with him and Mainoo playing in there.

Nowhere near good enough in posession, but it's glaringly obvious when he plays what type of player is missing in our midfield.

AndySmith1990

If we wanted to stick with Ten Hag and permanently become the plucky midtable underdogs, he'd be a decent cheap addition to the team

city-puma

He is criminally underused. It becomes nonsensical to arrange his loan with an eye on permanent transfer.
However, both him and Case have demonstrated they are not able to perform in the system ETH envisioned. So, it is logical to blame ETH and the former DOF on the whole planning and mess created.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he did ok but he also pissed me off more than anybody else in the game today to be honest. Just so slow on the ball and always turns back for an easy pass, and had a couple of really bad give aways, but did well otherwise.

Been a bit of a wasted loan though. Our setup this year has been a mess, even if he was average, he should've been used more in a more conservative setup for us as a whole. Wouldn't concede 20 shots per game if we did.

Atheist

He made a very bad error against Man City and I think he’s not gotten a chance after that, until now. But in general, he’s been mostly poor whenever tried this season. Today was a decent performance although admittedly Arsenal didn’t really press much and allowed us time on the ball. It’s a good thing he’s only on loan even if the fee was hefty.

simplyared

Him and Onana put in their best performances for the club in this game imho. Amrabat looking as if he wanted badly to put his stamp on the game. Which I thought he suceeded in doing. However too late for us to be wanting to keep him. Pity he couldn't have shown more of this earlier on.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I thought he's supposed to be good but so far I'm not really seeing it, what exactly makes him better than let's say Mc Tomminay?

Mike Smalling

I thought he's supposed to be good but so far I'm not really seeing it, what exactly makes him better than let's say Mc Tomminay?
He’s probably a slightly better CM, because he doesn’t hide from the ball like McTominay, and he’s also a better tackler I’d say. McTominay will get us a goal on occasion, but that’s about it.

But really it’s a moot point, since neither are good enough to start.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think he's been great but we are more solid with him in the team. He played at Anfield too when we got that 0-0.

He's another one of those players, like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire, that would be good in a low block team. Unfortunately we've got too many of them.
Also coincedentally the only two games this entire season where we've played with something resembling a normal midfield (and as you say, looked relatively solid as a result)

Castia

Was absolutely bang average which ironically made him look better than his usual championship level standard

Nowhere near good enough

The White Pele

I thought he did ok. Got on the ball a lot between the centre-halves and looked to progress things. Good physicality at times dealing with the likes of Saka.

We’ve had so few players in the last few seasons that can play that role. It’s a shame we haven’t seen more of him because we really need to have some squad depth for that position and I don’t see us buying two in the summer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still think stylistically he shows what we are missing. He obviously makes a couple of big errors every game that can be costly, but I love his willingness to get on the ball. Overall I think he makes us a better team despite his limitations. The priority in the summer is signing a player in his profile (high volume passer) but just a better player and ideally someone more physically gifted. Controversially I’d still sign Amrabat for a low fee and cash in on Casa if we can.

RedStarUnited

The guy barely plays but people expect him to come on the pitch and be in sync with everyone. We need a player like him a lot more than we need a McTomannay type.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The guy barely plays but people expect him to come on the pitch and be in sync with everyone. We need a player like him a lot more than we need a McTomannay type.
Yeah, its why whenver anyone calls him terrible or shit, I just wonder what exactly that's based on? He's barely started for us at DM and it takes time for most players to adjust to the Premier League.

Endo looked rubbish at first for Liverpool, but they stuck with him, kept playing him and now he's a solid, if unspectacular Premier League DM - we did not afford Amrabat that same chance.