Simon Jordan on English media

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The vast majority of journalists are total wankers, I don't want your opinion, I don't need you to tell me what to think, just give me the facts, feck off and leave me to make my own mind up

DavidDeSchmikes

He's infinitely baitable, and is always spoiling for a fight, or what constitutes a fight, in the kingdom of social media. Last season he was raging against Talksport's comedy double act, Hawksbee & Jakobs,after one of them had the audacity to claim that some journalist can be a "bit disingenuous" where transfer stories were concerned.

He reminds me of the quote SAF would often use about "Some people being capable of starting a fight in a phone box."

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A journalist is a person whose job involves writing nonfiction stories for newspapers, magazines, or online news sites.

Nonfiction stories my arse. It's sickening really, these so called football journalists aren't experts yet They dare to belittle professional football managers and players. Their opinions mean nothing and nobody should care about them. If you're a fan of football, you'd naturally hate most of the journalists. They're turning football into a shitshow but some people like dramas so there's that.

Offsideagain

My word, how right he is. Jordan and Christian Pursloe talk a lot of sense. The Media will close ranks now and focus even more on Jose whilst leaving Guardiola and City to give them their free meals alone.

Jose has enough on his plate just now trying to get the players playing as they should given their reputation.

HailtotheKing

A journalist is a person whose job involves writing nonfiction stories for newspapers, magazines, or online news sites.

Nonfiction stories my arse. It's sickening really, these so called football journalists aren't experts yet They dare to belittle professional football managers and players. Their opinions mean nothing and nobody should care about them. If you're a fan of football, you'd naturally hate most of the journalists. They're turning football into a shitshow but some people like dramas so there's that.

A journalist's job is not just to write, it's to sell. When there's nothing true to sell, they make shit up. AKA clickbait. They also peddle a line, it's just lazy journalism. They should be experts. They spend their lives watching football. But they just can't be bothered to. It's too easy not to. Cos we hoover it up regardless like lines of Coke.

This whole 3rd season meltdown thing also does my head in. It's complete bollocks but they are doing their best to make it come true. Journos are sharks not seagulls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Having a semi-polite chat with Custis on Talksport. Discussing the Mirror story (Jose will DEFINITELY be sacked regardless). Custis saying it's one of those things and if he was the guys Editor, he'd say "unlucky, I've been there".

Simon Jordan not letting him get away with that and asking him (several times) where's the accountability? Where's the consequences? Said if a journalist had done that when he was at Palace, he'd have given him a gobful.

Custis said if you write ten and nine are spot on, it's ok. Simon Jordan and presenter (Danny Kelly) saying "yeah, but not THIS on story". Custis (aka "fat man") says Jordan wants journalist sacked, Jordan (who's far too clever to fall for Custis rubbish) putting it back on him and saying just asking what would he do if a Sun journalist had done it.

Simon Jordan very good/erudite, clearly still has a thing about media (don't think he's a United advocate, just that this allows him to diss journalists). Custis struggling, media sticking together, nob.

Hopefully one day a club says "print it, we'll prove you wrong then sue you". Too easy for journalists to say "we had a source", freedom of speech rubbish, etc... basically print shit and hope it works out.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Simon Jordan seems like a powerful person who does not like to be questioned. His speech in the video in the OP is still a bunch of nonsense.

Ether

Hopefully one day a club says "print it, we'll prove you wrong then sue you". Too easy for journalists to say "we had a source", freedom of speech rubbish, etc... basically print shit and hope it works out.
You’d have to prove they wrote that story with bad intent to defame Mourinho or whoever.

Thinking everything the media report is fake news is just as ridiculous as believing everything you read.

You’d have to prove they wrote that story with bad intent to defame Mourinho or whoever.

Thinking everything the media report is fake news is just as ridiculous as believing everything you read.
You sure? Thought the injured party just has to show damage to reputation? (though I'm not a legal expert, sure you know your stuff).

GloryHunter07

I never understand why people get so upset with football journalists. If you dont like them then dont read their stories.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Football media’s biggest mistake is trying to print the news before it happens. It doesn’t really happen where ‘real’ news is concerned - they report on things that have already taken place or are ongoing. But for some weird reason, football journalism seems to be this odd game of ‘guess what happens next’. That isn’t news, that’s just an educated (if we’re lucky) guess. I don’t know why they’re allowed to do this when their job as journalists is to supposedly bring us confirmed events. But no, let’s predict the future. I don’t get why they do it, you’re just asking to look foolish.

I never understand why people get so upset with football journalists. If you dont like them then dont read their stories.
Don't think it's about EVERY journalist (there are quite a few I like reading). It's more about the lazy ones who can spout rubbish with seemingly no comeback.

And this story was always going to have repercussions right or wrong? Whatever our current results, United (players, club, board, manager) are still massive news and stating as a fact, that the United manager WILL be sacked regardless is not a small story?

cyberman

For some reason I was just listening to TS and it was a prime example of why I can’t stand people like Jordan.
It was pointed out that he previously said footballers should have a wage cap and the bottom would fall out of football pretty soon from a story about premier league clubs revenue rising by 8 percent through covid years which is pretty fecking impressive.
Would he admit he was wrong? Laugh about it?
No, he invented massive losses that clubs suffer and spiralling costs, teams like United are struggling to pay off our debt (are we?) so that revenue doesn’t actually matter finished off by some nonsense about storing 5 pounds bottles of water for 2 pounds so in the end he’s right.
This is the man people point to and say he speaks sense. Football punditry is at a piss poor place right now

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I dont mind Jordan. He does give some insight into how finances work in football, but he does insist on using big words out of context to try and give the impression that he is some kind of superintelligent being. I'd rather he just tries to put his point across without embellishment

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The level of journalism and reporting in this country is incompetent.

Most of them have no idea how to even ask a basic question.

I don't know what they teach them in their four-year University degree...I don't see any evidence of competent application.

It's almost as if they want to be more of a celebrity than the people they are talking about.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Simon Jordan in idiotic comment shocker.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of those old school right wing melts that think politics and football should never mix. Says the same about BLM and other stuff of that ilk too.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
It still surprises me that some people don't get what Talksport is.
it’s thicko chat for thickos. they’d be better of spending their time reading some byron or keates.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He looks like he’s morphing into Matt le Tissier.
I looked at that thumbnail and actually thought it was Matt le Tissier.

Maybe there is a new stereotypical look appearing, a bit like the gammon, the outraged right-wing conspiracy theorist look

yorkshire red

Not one to defend talksport but I actually listened to that segment on my way to work yesterday, and was really more about how he doesn’t think Salah is world class, I definitely didn’t come out of it thinking that’s why he doesn’t like Salah, it’s been a decent listen lately watching the Liverpool pundits squirm !

black country red

Jordan is praising Ratcliffe for stopping working from home for united employees two capitalist vultures picking the same carcass

Pickle85

The thing that annoys me most about him is how self important he is. The prat says things in the most complicated ways he can as he thinks it makes him sound clever.

DavelinaJolie

Whilst I agree with a little of what he says, his line about "somebody told you"... Well yes, that's how journalism works, by having sources to get information and then verifying that information with second sources. As mentioned previously, he's a capitalist vulture and is probably opposed to exposure and I think that line of his betrays a bit of that.

Now, I do question a large amount of the "transfer" pieces that come around, because they are usually tenuous links based on a player being scouted, as each club will do with tousands of players, or pushed by agents. And in all spheres the increasing prevalence of opinion pieces and opinions driven media is annoying, but we've helped that with our consumption of it and responding to it. I do wonder if his outrage at opinion led journalism extends to the small government, regulation reduction, free marketism in the politics sphere, somehow I doubt it.

yorkshire red

The main fault I always find with him is that he struggles to see players/managers point of view, probably understandable given the issues he’s no doubt had during his time as owner, but he just can’t seem to get past his own negative experiences with them, he also reminds me of Neville in a way in that once he has declared an opinion on something early doors he very rarely changes his mind, Don’t know if anyone heard it but also agreed with his Sancho comments yesterday,

izzydiggler

Jordan is perfect for Talk Sport - egotistical, contrarian, faux outrage inducing.

But what annoys me most about him, is how he constantly uses words that he doesn't seem to know the meaning of, sprouting continual 'word salad' to appear intelligent but often, they just don't make any sense.

Idxomer

Where's this campaign against Salah coming from?

The guy is one of the most vanilla PL big stars of all time, is it all because he went against Klopp?

sugar_kane

Explain please I my view there’s nothing wrong with working from home cnuts like the union hating Ratcliffe and the shit spouting Jordan hate the working class having any perks
Many working class jobs can't be done from home.

He's a prick and he makes his point too bluntly but there is a legit debate to be had on WFH vs. being present, it's not as simple as one is good and the other is bad.

Unfortunately as with most topics these days there's no room for debate or nuance, you're either with us or against us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Now I like Salah a little bit for pissing off this nutjob and for telling Klopp to go f himself.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His view on Salah was flimsy and Danny Murphy made him look silly when they were debating it.