View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to him at Newcastle if he goes though I think even they are above where his level is at right now. He‘s more Everton level imo.

I dunno, I still remember that lot quoting us £50M for Sean fecking Longstaff :lol: :lol:

They can cough up the same amount if they really rate him like that

We should keep him unless it’s a crazy offer. A couple of injuries and he’d be needed here. Don’t like the idea of strengthening Newcastle’s squad either.

If the budget is looking low, as rumoured, and we get a huge offer I could see us selling him, bringing in a DM for cheap or on loan, but this seems far more likely in the summer than now.

We should keep him unless it’s a crazy offer. A couple of injuries and he’d be needed here. Don’t like the idea of strengthening Newcastle’s squad either.
If we can get a replace, then we should sell but agreed on the latter. Not that I think he's good but he's better than Longstaff who gets minutes and would strengthen Newcastle's squad.

We need to learn our lesson and sell when there is an offer for players that really don't have a future here. The fiasco with lingard and cleverly was annoying and we didn't receive a penny for either.

20m 30m :lol: Minimum 50m. There is tax in selling player to rival in January.

Newcastle are one of our rival with oil money, we have every right to demand ridiculous money for January move because it’s hard to buy for replacement in January. Ask Barcelona how much Frenkie de Jong then we will demand the same fees for McTominay then use the money to sign Frenkie or Caicedo.

We need to learn our lesson and sell when there is an offer for players that really don't have a future here. The fiasco with lingard and cleverly was annoying and we didn't receive a penny for either.
I would also sell him now while his value is high. Given the role that Shaw is now playing, we could use Martinez instead as cover for Casemiro if the need arises

Agreed. So long as he's content with his current squad role, and unless Newcastle or someone pay silly money, then he fits for now. If we can upgrade him then great but rushing to do so in the January window isn't straight forward. It'd need to be someone who is not only an upgrade but also content to be backup to Casemiro for the next few years (and we'd possibly be looking at a De Jong or similiar in the summer too). It feels like the consensus for the past few years was that Scott should be a squad player rather than a regular starter, now he's in the squad player category and people can't wait to get him out the door.

Also have to consider DVBs injury and Fred's situation as well. I'm not upto date on the latest regarding Fred's contract expiration, but there's the possibility we'll need two, maybe three midfielders in the next 6-18 months anyway. Selling McTominay prematurely could leave us short in numbers.

Normally I’d agree, when you get a chance to move these type of players on it’s best to take it but given financial situation I think it’s understandable to keep him until the summer.

Good thing is his wages are pretty cheap and he’ll be motivated to leave, he’s 4th choice out of 4, when we add more players that will only get worse. Parting ways in summer makes sense all round and I think we’ll move him on pretty easily for a decent fee.

Selling McTominay prematurely could leave us short in numbers.
But keeping someone who is completely the opposite of how we want to play. He is only cover for Casemiro and I'm sure Martinez could do that better

He will be due to start at least one of the semi-final ties and the FA cup match against Reading. I think it's sensible we keep him as the options are quite limited outside the starting XI.

I feel experience will be vital against Forest too, even though 'its only the League Cup' we can't be throwing the likes of Mainoo in for those games. Different against the likes of Charlton at home, but this is a semi-final against a Prem team. We need players who won't be fazed by the occasion.

We have Iqbal and Mainoo. Yeah, they are young and shit but they can do better job than McT.
McT is not our future. If offer is right we should sell
Agreed, if we're really worried about a lack of options then we should buy a young, cheap talent for £5m-£10m that we can mould. McTominay isn't, and never will be, a big loss.

If we can get a replace, then we should sell but agreed on the latter. Not that I think he's good but he's better than Longstaff who gets minutes and would strengthen Newcastle's squad.

He’s not better than Longstaff.

Please sell him, he's one of the few disposable players with transfer value that we have. We could get a nice transfer fee for him and long term, I don't think he's good enough to be part of the squad.

Read another article that Newcastle are also interested in Loftus-Cheek and Connor Gallagher. Chelsea will of course sell, probably for £30m+ each and we’ll write the latest chapter of ‘how come Chelsea always get good money for their dross and we don’t?’.

Ideally we’d have sold Scott in the summer. Should have frankly sold him last summer, if I was Ten Hag I’d have seen enough after he managed to turn receiving the ball in space in the #10 area into almost being sent off for a reckless tackle within two touches - but if a good offer comes in in January we can’t waste it. Put it towards our summer budget. Him and Elanga would be no loss, even mid-season. We can play Heaton in midfield or something if we must.

£50-60m should do just nicely. He has his uses as backup, but dont think we can afford to have both him and Fred as backups. We need at least one more starter.

The problem is that both of them are good in different tactics late game. Fred when we need more energy and control of the ball. McT when we have to defend high balls into the box. So we should not sell him for £20-30m to Saudi Arabia who quoted us £50m for Longstaff. They are also our main competitor for third, and the league cup. And they should get taxed for the shithouse timewasting they do.

Capture.jpg

Taasty.. yes please, make it happen.
I don't think he is good enough long term for us, and that would be some tasty money for our bank. I think it's also a player that suits Newcastle.

£50-60m should do just nicely. He has his uses as backup, but dont think we can afford to have both him and Fred as backups. We need at least one more starter.

The problem is that both of them are good in different tactics late game. Fred when we need more energy and control of the ball. McT when we have to defend high balls into the box. So we should not sell him for £20-30m to Saudi Arabia who quoted us £50m for Longstaff. They are also our main competitor for third, and the league cup. And they should get taxed for the shithouse timewasting they do.

Selling McTominay to Newcastle would be us weakening a direct rival and being paid for the privilege.

Selling McTominay to Newcastle would be us weakening a direct rival and being paid for the privilege.

Yeah exactly. It's crazy people can spend hours upon hours watching football, year after year and still can't tell the difference between a good and a bad player. What's honestly the point.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. It's crazy people can spend hours and upon hours watching football, year after year and still can't tell the difference and a bad player. What's honestly the point.

It’s the shirt. I guess when you are conditioned to love everything in that shirt, you start to find any narrative to stick up for your own. Fans are also a sucker for effort. Quickest way to a (PL) fan’s heart is to charge around and clatter into people.

We shouldn’t sell him to a rival mid-season, at least unless they are willing to pay something stupid like £50 million. Then again, I think Newcastle will already move on to more glamorous targets by summer.

I personally think he is a decent squad player, but if we were to sign another, more technical midfielder (which should give us more control), then he would be our fifth choice CM.

Maguire and Wout can head those high balls away... i would accept any decent offer for him. 20-30m i think is still way too much for someone who is as limited as McT but if Newcastle offer it than i would snap their hands off.

McT really isnt that good. I really think that the moment he leaves Manchester United he will keep dropping down. Since McT comes from Manchester United he could go to a higher ranked midtable team (6- 11), there he wont be good enough and drop to a lower midtable (12 - 16) team before going to a team that fights against relegation.

Wrong time to sell. And I call BS on the actual report because it serves 2 purposes.

1. Need to think of a quick story to connect the fact that Bruno G. of Newcastle rolled his ankle pretty severely over the weekend against Fulham and journo is trying to keep it relevant because there's only a couple weeks of the winter transfer window.

2. The club will speak directly with the agent or intermediaries close to the player's agent and not have to wait on the club who owns the player.

McTominay will never play for a top club like United, so as long as he enjoys his 20 odd appearances per year and is a great teammate, then he's fine to be part of the squad. He can still leave before he turns 30 and have a decent career outside of his boyhood club.. He's an absolute unit so fitness shouldn't be a problem for him.

Wrong time to sell. And I call BS on the actual report because it serves 2 purposes.

1. Need to think of a quick story to connect the fact that Bruno G. of Newcastle rolled his ankle pretty severely over the weekend against Fulham and journo is trying to keep it relevant because there's only a couple weeks of the winter transfer window.

2. The club will speak directly with the agent or intermediaries close to the player's agent and not have to wait on the club who owns the player.

McTominay will never play for a top club like United, so as long as he enjoys his 20 odd appearances per year and is a great teammate, then he's fine to be part of the squad. He can still leave before he turns 30 and have a decent career outside of his boyhood club.. He's an absolute unit so fitness shouldn't be a problem for him.
But he's not, do people even read the Tweets / articles that are the subject of discussion?

But he's not, do people even read the Tweets / articles that are the subject of discussion?

He was put in front of a fans press conference a few weeks ago. He's similar to players like Elanga, Pellestri, Maguire, in that they want more playing time but for now they will end up staying unless an offer is too good to pass up.

The writing was on the wall well before once Casemiro was signed. It was only a matter of time before a world class player got into full fitness. Also, we just saw VdB go down, Dalot. So United are only one injury away from having to draft in McTominay.

At the moment, United will hold on to McTominay. All hands on deck will be needed and he's one of the players right now who can still be of benefit as there's nobody else after him.

Maguire and Wout can head those high balls away... i would accept any decent offer for him. 20-30m i think is still way too much for someone who is as limited as McT but if Newcastle offer it than i would snap their hands off.

McT really isnt that good. I really think that the moment he leaves Manchester United he will keep dropping down. Since McT comes from Manchester United he could go to a higher ranked midtable team (6- 11), there he wont be good enough and drop to a lower midtable (12 - 16) team before going to a team that fights against relegation.
Apperently Wout doesn't like to head balls, and bringing on Maguire means we have to change formation to 3 at the back or sub out a better defender. And neither of them can play cm as backup and we will need the numbers if we go deep in all the cups.

I never said McT was good, I just stated that he has a tactical use endgame. And if we sell him for £20-30m in january there is no way for us to replace him with another cm I think. Don't think Mejbri is ready to play if we have a recall option, Iqbal hasn't got any minutes and Mainoo is to young yet. So i would rather keep a homegrown McT than sell him for that amount in january. We should rather look to sell him in the summer when we have cash to bring in a replacement who is also good enough to be a starter alongside Case.

This guy is on 60k p/w means we can get 25m-30m from non top PL team in the summer. We should charge more if Newcastle want him in January, 50m!!!

I'd be okay selling him in the summer.

Him going now would be asking for trouble though because you know we won't be bringing anyone else in.

Somewhere between 30-35M would be a good deal for both parts. He's a consolidated EPL. Anything less than that and we shouldn't keep him we aren't full in numbers.

If ETH rates Tielemans higher as a squad option and we can bring him in cheaper than McTominay, then it doesn’t make sense to delay.
It’s all about how much Newcastle are willing to pay.

While I don't rate him very highly at all, we have too many games coming up in short succession to let him go until we have a replacement. So unless we've got our eye on somebody to buy/loan now, or ETH thinks one of the kids is ready to step up into that role (which is unlikely since Scott is Casemiro's main back-up and our highest rated kids seem to be in the more creative roles), it just doesn't make sense.

Tielemans doesn't make sense either, as once again he's certainly not capable of acting as Casemiro's back-up.

I’d like us to bring in Musah as a replacement in the summer. Could probably be signed for 25m odd and could be a long term replacement for Casemiro. But we need to bring in a top class first XI midfielder to partner Casemiro too.

I don't get this bit - how is Scott McTominay going to push Newcastle up a level (I can't for the life of me understand why they would want him.) It was the same last year with Lingard - we lost a golden chance to cash in on him because the board apparently didn't want to strengthen a rival.

Crystal Palace 1:1 Man Utd
Should be sold in this window. We are a mess when he touches the pitch.

Just a waste of time really, isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.