View full 2021-22 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fernandinho probably gave that performance a standing ovation in front of his telly.
:lol:

He was definitely playing on the edge today. Could have pretty easily been sent off. I am glad we had a bit of that today. We needed it, but I don't think his quality on the ball was good. Still, he got about and put in a shift. That's mainly what I expect of him.

Misses out some important stats, which makes his performance look better:

He was dispossessed 5 times, one leading to us conceding. Net tackles & interceptions to dispossessions is 0. He lost it as many times as he won it.

He only managed 29 passes all game with 7 being misplaced.

He made 6 fouls, some in dangerous areas.

He's a bang-average footballer but he has the work ethic and professionalism to keep himself fit enough to play a rough role in the clean-up department of our midfield each game.

He's a great placeholder in that spot until we get a proper baller.

Unfortunately, there's no way in hell Glazers are going to let go of him in that spot because he has been dirt cheap and doesn't put a fuss about his pennies for wages.

Thought he did well generally but wasn’t the right conditions to try and run with the ball, which caught him out on occasions. Not one of his better displays but did the job in the non-idea weather.

I love Scott
He gives his all and leaves everything on the pitch and that’s all you can ask of any player

Very worrying how many people think he had a good game because he got stuck in ?!

some fans need to watch him closely. He is a MASSIVE liability when teams are attacking, he has no sense of danger and his tracking back is so slow!

today was another poor performance, should've been sent off, i've never seen a midfielder so poor tackling all he does is grab people.

with that amount of recklessness in his game he will get sent off in a European game, Matic will be much more suited against Athletico

Had a really good game. Faded in the second half a bit and should've played a little smarter, but nothing too bad.

Really poor - was certain he was going to get himself sent off. Just kept giving the ball away and sliding into players for 90mins. He's got to learn some discipline.

Misses out some important stats, which makes his performance look better:

He was dispossessed 5 times, one leading to us conceding. Net tackles & interceptions to dispossessions is 0. He lost it as many times as he won it.

He only managed 29 passes all game with 7 being misplaced.

He made 6 fouls, some in dangerous areas.
Which goal was that? wasn’t in possession leading up to either goal.

He wasn't good today, but it was nice to have some thuggery in the middle of the park to combat Leeds. Lucky not to be sent off though.

We badly need an upgrade on him but he is a vital squad player. Didnt have a great game today

Great squad player.. and that’s all he should be. No one can question how hard he works off the ball, but he doesn’t have enough quality on the ball to be a starter for us.. by far the weakest link when we have our strongest XI out there.

There’s two other midfielders on the pitch. Did you not ask yourself where they were during these periods of the game?

They were elsewhere, as that was their job. His job was to sit in defensive positions but he was absent because he had been caught chasing the ball.

Anyone who says he was poor has never played football in a competitive game in conditions like today. It was a fight and we won it, he was a huge part of that.

He always tries to dribble the ball, it's absolutely infuriating watching players making runs only for him to hold onto the ball for 25 minutes before being tackled.

Anyone who says he was poor has never played football in a competitive game in conditions like today. It was a fight and we won it, he was a huge part of that.

Come on man what kind of nonsense excuse and reasoning is this? There were other players on the pitch playing better under those conditions. I take it you're a former pro player? The majority of us on this forum who've never played competitively have no say yeah? These type of posts kill me :lol:

Last edited:
Thought he was excellent, great to see a bit of bite and fire in the team. Gets huge criticism but he’d always be in my starting lineup.

Interesting to see that opinions about him are so divided.

I think, his attitude is spot on. Thats why he is so appealing to some fans. He is a combatitive force and thats why we need him for some games. He shows what we are lacking in a few other players because the level of intensity today was great. This should be the baseline performance we have. As soon as we are there, we can think about bringing in a player who is more productive on the ball. But when we bring such a player without upping the intensity, we will fall flat.

Did his part for todays win, was lucky to stay on the pitch.

You can do so much with guts and blood. Not a top class football match. Yes he threw himself about and got even Cock out of the game.

Was afraid he might get a second yellow, but it was good he out some steel in his performance today. Didn't let the leeds players have it their way at all. A bit of an enforcer today.

Come on man what kind of nonsense excuse and reasoning is this? There were other players on the pitch playing better under those conditions. I take it you're a former pro player? The majority of us on this forum who've never played competitively have no say yeah? These type of posts kill me :lol:

Even at any decent level of amateur football people would have played in games like this.

McTominay didnt allow Leeds to bully us on the park.

They were elsewhere, as that was their job. His job was to sit in defensive positions but he was absent because he had been caught chasing the ball.

Do you want him to press and win the ball high up the pitch or not? His job is not to just sit in defensive posistions his job is also to support attacks and to press and win the ball high up the pitch or in midfield.

If we were still managed by mournino then you may have a point, but if you want the team to press high than your dm has to be a part of that and sometimes they will get caught out and bypassed. Liverpool and City regularly get broken on and there midfield bypassed it dosent happen as often because they don't give the ball away as often as we do.

Leeds will always overrun the midfield at times, it’s basically the key principle of what Bielsa tries to achieve. You’re not going to play against a Bielsa team and not ride your luck a couple of times in midfield.

He’s never going to be a Carrick who can sit and cut passing lanes. He’s an aggressive player and I’m pretty sure that’s what Ralf wants.

People moaned at McFred in a 2 being too safe, so we play more of a three, then people moan because we get out numbered occasionally. For a press to work, every player has to press, but it isn’t going to work every time.

For example, Were you asking McTominay to sit off the Brighton player before we scored?

Even at any decent level of amateur football people would have played in games like this.

McTominay didnt allow Leeds to bully us on the park.

Ah so you have no say then. Just share your opinion, no need to get on your high horse with this pro or amateur player crap. We all have eyes bro

Last edited:
Huh?

He was fine today. I really do think there is difficulty in separating recent form from the current performance. The conditions were shit, he did what we needed in there, put his foot in, played aggressively, didn't let Leeds get on top on a day that wasn't made for much more than that from a workhorse midfielder.

Do you want him to press and win the ball high up the pitch or not? His job is not to just sit in defensive posistions his job is also to support attacks and to press and win the ball high up the pitch or in midfield.

If we were still managed by mournino then you may have a point, but if you want the team to press high than your dm has to be a part of that and sometimes they will get caught out and bypassed. Liverpool and City regularly get broken on and there midfield bypassed it dosent happen as often because they don't give the ball away as often as we do.
Sorry but that is just not true. You'd be right if - IF - we would play a high press, a well coordinated one I'd like to add. We don't do that, there are some individual efforts but it isn't coordinated. Lately, we played some sort of 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-3 - and usually McTom is the deepest midfielder. There aren't many situations, where he is supposed to leave his position to press because he is intended to be the fall back option for the press efforts of other players. I am not saying he made a myriad of mistakes today, but trying to depict it as if there is no problem, doesn't really make sense. Neither McTom nor Fred are good at positioning himself. It just isn't their game, doesn't make them the worst players in the world but it makes them not ideally suited to play such a position.

I expect him to judge it better. He should not be charging forward when there is nobody covering him, and when he's not got a good chance of winning the challenge. A top midfielder knows when to go and challenge and when to sit off and cover the passing lanes.

Plus, he needs to be far better on the ball to play that game. He tries to carry the ball too much and doesn't provide options to those around him enough.

City and Liverpool - it's not only that they don't give the ball away as much, they are much smarter about their positioning and decisions.

This attitude is why England haven't won a thing in 60 years.

It's alright to lose the ball and get caught out of position all game, as long as you throw yourself into the odd tackle.

Watched Neves today. It’s just night and day when you compare him to this McAverage and I don’t even rate Neves highly.

Whatever may be said about his limitations with the ball at his feet, McTominay was well suited the challenge today. It was a physical game and he was more that up for it. He was far from imperial in attack and he wasn't much of a force for good defending in our third but he battled hard in midfield. Lucky not be booked earlier in the game but he pushed himself to his physical limit, understood what he could and couldn't do and helped us see through victory over an opponent who on another day could have beaten us.

I don’t get where all the immense talk is coming from. I thought he wasn’t very good at all.

I loved him today,rivalry game in terrible conditions and so he wasn’t going to take shit from anyone out there. I don’t know if he is a long term solution but he will without a doubt have a good career at United if he is happy to play from the bench as well

The one thing that I also appreciate is how there are no external stuff at all about him. I know that it’s probably nothing to hype up about but the current state that we are in I like that he is one of those rare ones who is not in any news at all outside of football

Status
Not open for further replies.