Sancho or Messi? Who would you try to sign?

Taking off my United cap for a second, if I were him I would look to do a season or 2 at City and then kick on to MLS

Messi obviously.

Sancho would do well to be half a player Messi is right now. He's 33, he's not dead.There's still plenty left on the tank even for a 33 year old Messi.
Messi would give us 2-3 year tops of quality service, United value as a brand would fly through the roof.
And most importantly, we'll be able to answer that question: "Will he able to do it in a cold Wednesday night in Stoke?"

I said Sancho but given its actually a possibility it does make me rethink.

Messi's next club isn't just getting the best footballer of this era, and Sancho, let's face it, isn't ever coming close, but also instantly the stature of an elite club (for awhile). So if City get Messi, you can only imagine the boost they'll receive in terms of their standing as a football club. Merchandise, hype, fans from all over the globe becoming City fans for awhile etc sounds horrible.

Plus Messi would be on a free so there's that

If Messi would actually come here, it'd be a massive signing.

Just imagine being the only club ever to have Ronaldo and Messi play for you.

And Messi is still the best player in the world.

Problem is that I don't think Messi would play for Ole when Pep's managing City. You never know though. You have to try at least.

We didn't even try for Ronaldo in 2018 or did we?

Sancho.

Signing Messi will be Sanchez all over again finances wise. Performance wise will be brilliant but at 1m/week?

Well, rumour has it that Messi is, because of contract clause, available on a free. So both. Yes salaries need to be paid, but that's true of anyone and Messi would be probably only be around for two years before retiring

Well, rumour has it that Messi is, because of contract clause, available on a free. So both. Yes salaries need to be paid, but that's true of anyone and Messi would be probably only be around for two years before retiring

Agreed, Messi wouldn't be bad on a free at all since the fee would be negated, and it means Sancho can happen too but I see Messi as City bound, we can dream though!

Agreed, Messi wouldn't be bad on a free at all since the fee would be negated, and it means Sancho can happen too but I see Messi as City bound, we can dream though!
You are probably right about City... I'm just hoping he wants a fresh "challenge". We need some older, wiser, more-experienced heads among all the youth (chelsea seem to have realised it). We need some of that in midfield to, to be honest!

If Messi move was possible of course Messi, you dont say no to fekin Messi. If he goes to City we should get Sancho. We should get him regardless. But with them having him we'd go for the new kid on the block.

Sancho is much more a "Manchester United type signing" and the one I'd choose all day long.

Also not a big fan of Messi as a person, the way he has behaved at Barca is ridiculous with the signings he has vetoed and how above his station he gets.

It's just Sancho all day long for me. Young, hungry player who could make his name here for a long time > ageing, primadonna star all day long.

Sancho for me. Of course Messi is amazing but if I think long term, Sancho is the better buy imho

Yeah, Sancho for me too. Feels like a Manchester United signing and a more sensible decision. But my word, Messi for two years, would be such a joy to watch after the rubbish we've put up with for the last 7 years. More excitement and off your bum moments per game, than 10, otherwise.

Sancho. More longevity, suits Ole's style of play.
Messi could possibly make the Glazers more money in the short term, provided no transfer fee, even with wages around £600k a week, but would affect every player here who would demand more money therefter.
Would Messi win the premiership? Who would be left out to accomodate him? What if some clogger decides to make a name for himself and take him out? Would the cold and rain affect him?
A lot of variables thats why Sancho

We ain't getting either but I'll bite for the purpose of the hypothetical situation. Sancho on a 6 year deal since Messi has a max of two seasons left in him

Sancho, as much as having Messi play for us would be a romantic idea, I would rather we used our heads and built steadily for the future.

If there’s one way to really sell this project to Sancho and make him push for a move, it’s to persist in the pursuit of him over the best player of all time.

Sancho = Long term success.
Messi = Success for 1-3 years, probably win a title or two, but squad would need to be rearranged a bit to play around Messi.

Let's go with Lingard

Sancho. More longevity, suits Ole's style of play.
Messi could possibly make the Glazers more money in the short term, provided no transfer fee, even with wages around £600k a week, but would affect every player here who would demand more money therefter.
Would Messi win the premiership? Who would be left out to accomodate him? What if some clogger decides to make a name for himself and take him out? Would the cold and rain affect him?
A lot of variables thats why Sancho
No issues with going with Sancho but these two are funny.

Both, offer Messi more than City offers him by 20-30% (free transfer so his wages aren't an issue)

Force the Sancho move, renew Pogba.

Offload players like Lingard, and start identifying CB/CDM and squad player targets for next year.

If there's somehow funds available after offloading get someone like VDB, if not Messi and Sancho will push us up a level or two.

Do everything possible to stop Messi going to City, and make sure Sancho signs, that should be this summers objectives.

Sadly Messi is probably City bound.

Both, offer Messi more than City offers him by 20-30% (free transfer so his wages aren't an issue)

Force the Sancho move, renew Pogba.

Offload players like Lingard, and start identifying CB/CDM and squad player targets for next year.

If there's somehow funds available after offloading get someone like VDB, if not Messi and Sancho will push us up a level or two.

Do everything possible to stop Messi going to City, and make sure Sancho signs, that should be this summers objectives.

Sadly Messi is probably City bound.
You are willing to bankrupt your club?

I really don't want the club to be Messi again after the progression of the last 18 months. Sancho suits the profile of what the club needs presently and would fit in well with the type of personalities at the club.

It's an academic exercise. We're getting neither.

Also, seeing Messi play for United would be surreal. If that means missing out on Sancho, so be it. Getting Messi would establish us as the club where the players need to be. And the Ronaldo and Messi connection will go down in history.

We're so far away from a title that it would require a superhuman effort to make us win. Who else but Messi can be classified as superhuman?

Getting Sancho means getting a great player in a position we need for a long period of time. Getting Messi means something out of the ordinary which can't be simply put as a player who will play in a position.

If it has to be Sancho or Messi, it would be Messi every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Having said that, we're getting neither.

P.S.: For people who're saying it's free, nothing is free in this world. He must also have an agent who will ensure that any potential transfer fee which has become zero, will be attributed as a signing on fee to Messi. Barca are paying him 88 million pounds a year pre-tax salary (44 post tax). If people think, that this is a financially profitable signing, please think again.

If Messi would actually come here, it'd be a massive signing.

Just imagine being the only club ever to have Ronaldo and Messi play for you.

And Messi is still the best player in the world.

Problem is that I don't think Messi would play for Ole when Pep's managing City. You never know though. You have to try at least.

We didn't even try for Ronaldo in 2018 or did we?
That is what my fear is as well. Playing for Ole when Pep who helped him become who he is won't make sense. That brown envelope to CAS really has screwed football.

I don’t think Messi is right for us, he’s undoubtedly in the top two players in the world and has been for the last 13 years but he is 33 and not in a good place, he’s been part of the best club team ever and win it all repeatedly, we are nowhere near that standard.
Spending 88m a year for two years is absolutely crazy, he’ll have to adapt to a new league and no doubt he’ll do it but it just seems the complete wrong direction for us. Will he still be the best in the world in a year? Will he still have the desire and fight when he’s subbed for Lingard? Our squad depth is weak we need to spend the money on at least three new players. We need a young hungry profile.
You’ll think I’m mad but signing Messi is crazy, leave that to Inter, PSG or City and continue on a sustainable sensible path. We could have a whole season without fans and that could kill football as we know it.

:lol: oh come on mate
My word, so short sighted :lol: so glad any potential decision isnt yours to make, although Eds useless so he'd porobably take Messi aswel.
Messi is one of the best, if not the best, players ever, he's 33.
Sancho's 20, already brilliant and only likely to keep improving, id love to see Messi in a united shirt, but given a choice, im taking the player who's going to be one of the best players in the world for the next 12/15 year over a couple of great years with Messi.

You are willing to bankrupt your club?

Messi would cost the same as Grealish, the CL money next year mitigates a lot of issues.

There's also the option of offloading Lingard, Mata, Pereira.

It really isn't a case of bankrupting, United are one of the very few teams in the world who can actually sustainably pay his wages.

Sancho please.

No doubt it would be good to see Messi in our shirt but we’re trying to build something and need to carry on. Messi joining would be a circus for two years and I do have doubts whether he’d be as effective in the premier league.

Sancho needs to be completed asap

Then we can try to get Messi. But if they clause is his contact has expired then no. We're not paying £500m for him plus wages

Messi would cost the same as Grealish, the CL money next year mitigates a lot of issues.

There's also the option of offloading Lingard, Mata, Pereira.

It really isn't a case of bankrupting, United are one of the very few teams in the world who can actually sustainably pay his wages.

I'm not sure if you are serious but in case you are can I point out to you that Messi's salary and bonuses alone amount to roughly £75 million a year - he may expect to get more than that if he leaves on a free - so on a 3 year contract you could be talking anything between £225-250 million over the duration of the contract (assuming 3 years). I'd guess that would be considerably more than Grealish would cost.

The post I was responding to was one suggesting Man Utd buy Sancho (which it appears is already difficult for the club) at £120 million or whatever Dortmund are looking and then offer 20-30% more wages for Messi than City. So essentially he was suggesting Utd pay over £100 million for Sancho + his wages - let's say £250k per week as a guess (£6.7 million a year) and then 20-30% more than the wages for Messi than I already said above so lets say £80-85 million per year for him. That would be an outlay of roughly £90 million per year for two players wages alone plus £100 million or so on transfer fees. I know Utd are a very wealthy club but considering COVID and the possibility of a second shutdown being a reality people are living in a dream land if you think Utd would be able to spend that kind of cash at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are serious but in case you are can I point out to you that Messi's salary and bonuses alone amount to roughly £75 million a year - he may expect to get more than that if he leaves on a free - so on a 3 year contract you could be talking anything between £225-250 million over the duration of the contract (assuming 3 years). I'd guess that would be considerably more than Grealish would cost.

The post I was responding to was one suggesting Man Utd buy Sancho (which it appears is already difficult for the club) at £120 million or whatever Dortmund are looking and then offer 20-30% more wages for Messi than City. So essentially he was suggesting Utd pay over £100 million for Sancho + his wages - let's say £250k per week as a guess (£6.7 million a year) and then 20-30% more than the wages for Messi than I already said above so lets say £80-85 million per year for him. That would be an outlay of roughly £90 million per year for two players wages alone plus £100 million or so on transfer fees. I know Utd are a very wealthy club but considering COVID and the possibility of a second shutdown being a reality people are living in a dream land if you think Utd would be able to spend that kind of cash at the moment.

United have a significant amount of commercial revenue and are due for a new shirt sponsor (moving away from Chevrolet) in the next 12 months.

business-model-nov-19.jpg

A deal for both can be done honestly, Sancho will be in instalments over 2-3 years, and Merchandising with Messi would also pay off quite a portion of the wages because of image-rights, PL exposure, and the United fan base in general.