Music Sam Smith (Singer)

Dan-Utd

Why is it that Sam Smith is a bit of a 'media darling' ?

A few months ago a fan took a photo of him and his security team were nasty to her and the media go along with this ridiculous thing where they call him a "they"

Here is a snippet of a story about him in the Daily Mail recently...

"Sam Smith cut a very stylish figure on Thursday as THEY attended"

"THEY added a pair of smart black trousers and elevated THEIR height in a pair of black heeled boots"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ntials-black-ensemble-attend-Gucci-event.html

For god sakes, it sounds like we are talking about 2 or more people, it's ridiculous and they are even using this language in my daughters school,

My biggest issue with Sam Smith being a media darling though... is his song... 'Promises'

Over the last few years, a lot of media attention has been on the attacks women suffer etc, whether that's unwanted touching, sexual abuse, sexual comments, domestic abuse, murder etc... and that's a good thing because it happens a lot and sadly people get away with it.

So, lets have a look at the opening 10 words of Sam Smith's song, Promises...

Are you drunk enough?
Not to judge what I'm doin'

Are you drunk enough - not to judge what I'm doing ??? There are people out there who feed women drinks to get them so drunk that they can grope them down an alley and hope they don't notice, There are also people out there who spike women's drinks and wait until they are out of it enough not to be awares of what's happening to them.

For some reason Sam Smith can use that line in a song and there's no outcry - but any other male singer - most likely be criticised and told 'you're supposed to be a role model to the youth's'

Every time I hear that opening line I cringe... but I do wonder how it makes women who have been sexually assaulted feel.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Man angry at Daily Mail for being too woke.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What's wrong with calling someone 'they' instead of she/he??

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure about the meaning behind the lyrics but probably not great.

As for the other stuff. You read the daily mail and complain about pronouns, sounds familiar! What harm does it do to call someone they if it is their preference? It doesn’t negatively impact your life in the slightest.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
This is a thread?

I think I read that first post as a mid-thread rant tangent in a thread about something else.

OP, if the second thing is your bigger issue, then why didn't you lead with it?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
For god sakes, it sounds like we are talking about 2 or more people, it's ridiculous and they are even using this language in my daughters school,
Your struggles with simple language should cause you to practice, maybe start reading more or take a class, not attacking someone's gender identity.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Gives off the air of a self-important bellend, but they have made/been involved in one or two bangers. Never let the bellend ruin the banger, that's my motto.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I am outraged anyone refers to anyone else as them at their request. I dont want to live in this world anymore!!!

Withnail

A few months ago a fan took a photo of him and his security team were nasty to her and the media go along with this ridiculous thing where they call him a "they"

My biggest issue with Sam Smith being a media darling though... is his song... 'Promises'

Over the last few years, a lot of media attention has been on the attacks women suffer etc, whether that's unwanted touching, sexual abuse, sexual comments, domestic abuse, murder etc... and that's a good thing because it happens a lot and sadly people get away with it.

Are you drunk enough - not to judge what I'm doing ??? There are people out there who feed women drinks to get them so drunk that they can grope them down an alley and hope they don't notice, There are also people out there who spike women's drinks and wait until they are out of it enough not to be awares of what's happening to them.

For some reason Sam Smith can use that line in a song and there's no outcry - but any other male singer - most likely be criticised and told 'you're supposed to be a role model to the youth's'

Every time I hear that opening line I cringe... but I do wonder how it makes women who have been sexually assaulted feel.
They're a bit of a dick but then so are you for making your post about pronouns when the second part of your post is infinitely more important. At least it is if it's not been taken out of context and made to look worse than it is.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They have an amazing voice. Probably a little annoying in real life, but truly believe they have an amazing voice and will always listen to their music because it.

This thread is trash btw.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His music is fecking awful. Would rather listen to Ed Sheeran every day for the rest of the year than one whole song from this cnut.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance

I too am outraged, that they is a pronoun people use. I mean calling someone how they want to be called is pretty ridiculous tbh and needs to stop. In fact all pronouns should stop being used and people need to be spoken about just in third person. S

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Anyone got an opinion on them they'd like to share?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
The pronouns are something you just need to get over, I remember a few years ago when my eldest asked to be referred to as they/them. I found it a bit difficult at first often got mixed up but i got used to it very fast and now I don’t even think twice.

Must admit though I’d never noticed the line in the song you mentioned, that certainly seems dodgy. The thread could be about that alone I think.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sam Smith is awful nothing more needs to be said.
This. A bellend in real life too apparently.

Also that lyric is bad. I’m surprised not more has been made about it.

As for pronouns, never had to deal with anything like that in person. I find it strange but meh, nothing to get worked up about

phelans shorts

I find Sam Smiths music to be awful and that lyric is, without any context (because why would I deliberately listen to a song of somebody I don’t rate for context) is horrid.

Couldn’t care less about the pronouns they wish to be referred to tbh.

United in sin

If it makes any difference to you Sam Smith is openly gay and they wrote this song about getting into a no strings attached tryst. They wrote it after going through a breakup with their real life boyfriend. The entire song gives more context and your reaction is overblown

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I like a few of his songs but that lyric definitely makes me stop everytime I hear it, weird thing to write.

Big Andy

Bloke
I fecking hate the cnut. Nowt to do with his gender neutral feckaboutery, more the fact he was blubbering like a cnut in the first lockdown in his fecking mansion

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I kind of feel like this entire thread was intentionally sabotaged from the start. You don't have much room to maneuver if you start off with "I don't understand how pronouns work." It would be like starting a thread about animal abuse but prefacing it by saying Hitler couldn't be that bad because he loved dogs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Should be added to the list along with James Corden, Conor McGregor and Ed Sheeran.

Also, don’t mind the plural thing, although I don’t fully understand it. Does ‘they’ denote that they identify as both a man and a woman (hence they=plural)? If that’s it then I do get it.

phelans shorts

I kind of feel like this entire thread was intentionally sabotaged from the start. You don't have much room to maneuver if you start off with "I don't understand how pronouns work." It would be like starting a thread about animal abuse but prefacing it by saying Hitler couldn't be that bad because he loved dogs.
I mean, sure, the OP clearly just wanted to rant about how out of touch they are and decided to attack a pretty crap musician to get that rant out but there’s no real excuse for so many to then get it deliberately wrong. It’s basic respect like.
Also, don’t mind the plural thing, although I don’t fully understand it. Does ‘they’ denote that they identify as both a man and a woman (hence they=plural)? If that’s it then I do get it.
It can be, similarly can be not really identifying and being comfortable as either (I think this is the more common reason but that may be confirmation bias in the non-binary folk I know)

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Should be added to the list along with James Corden, Conor McGregor and Ed Sheeran.

It's gender neutral and doesn't involve the silliness of inventing your own pronouns.

Either that or they go by "it"

Irwin99

Him and Adele are truly awful in my opinion. I've heard him say that after his break up record he had nothing else to write about, and she's described her records as 'a break up album', a 'make up' album and whatever the hell the last one was, a divorce album?

It's like, are you people so self-absorbed that you have NOTHING else to write about than your own love lives?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Him and Adele are truly awful in my opinion. I've heard him say that after his break up record he had nothing else to write about, and she's described her records as 'a break up album', a 'make up' album and whatever the hell the last one was, a divorce album?

It's like, are you people so self-absorbed that you have NOTHING else to write about than your own love lives?
Another thing about Adele is she said it’ll help her son understand the divorce (her most recent album).

Like more than the mum actually sitting down and, you know, talk about what is obviously a traumatic experience for the kid, listen to this album of self absorbed trite instead.