Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It can happen when there’s poor communication with air forces having different front lines on their maps to what’s going on in reality, they might have entered into Ukrainian controlled areas without realizing and got wrecked (this is what actually happened when they downed several jets on the same day recently).
Sure, I was more interested in the actual systems used - MANPADS, systems like Tor or Osa, or maybe SPAAG like the Gepard? I'm curious how much these systems are currently used near the front.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If this happens it can only mean Russia's economy is in serious trouble. The issue is it's impossible to believe anything coming out of Putin's mouth as he has lied so many times.
Might just be offering it to sew discord with no intention of following though. Would be a clever move I think, though maybe he should have waited a bit till it's colder and prices of energy are (presumably) higher.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

At least he can't be accused of being dogmatic or stubborn. His views have certainly shifted. ;)
There’s similar videos of Putin in the film Svideteli Putina (2018). It is terrifying how extreme people can become.

Revan

Assumptionman
Interesting:
Putin: Ukraine does not exist as a country, it has a false history, it has been part of Russia and we are gonna enforce it become part of Russia again.

Dans from the Caf and a few US fossils (Kissinger, Chomsky et al): The West is to be blamed for the war cause they pushed Ukraine to join NATO (which actually never happened).

Lemoor

I agree with you. I find it interesting just how predictable this apparently all was. I also agree with the poster above saying we shouldn't have to molly coddle Russia. I also believe that Russia is a mafia state controlled by a very few and that a huge proportion of the population there really have nothing to live for. I found it interesting that this was predicted and that there is apparently a substantial body of opinion out there that this is purely of the west's (read USs) making.
All those predictions before 2000 weren't about Ukraine, they were about other former Eastern Bloc countries that joined NATO in the late 1990s and Russia's reaction to it. Those predictions were undeniably wrong, but political realists apparently can't be wrong, so after 20 years they recontextualised those texts and now they pretend that they were about Ukraine all along. If those countries actually took the advice from "leading geopolitical scholar" or "America's greatest ever foreign policy strategist" in their infinite wisdom, they would be in the same boat as Georgia, Belarus, Ukraine or Moldova are today. But in their stupidity they assumed that Russia was only temporarily dealing with internal problems and warzones they created by that point were a hint of what was coming to them and pressed to join NATO anyway.
The articles and speeches from 2014 onwards were after Russia already invaded Crimea and it was already apparent that the West wasn't going to do anything meaningful to stop it.

Unrelated, but calling a guy who ate up the dumbest Russian propaganda and claimed that shooting down MH17 was done by Ukrainians as "famed scholar of Russian studies" is really funny.

Real Name

Putin: Ukraine does not exist as a country, it has a false history, it has been part of Russia and we are gonna enforce it become part of Russia again.

Dans from the Caf and a few US fossils (Kissinger, Chomsky et al): The West is to be blamed for the war cause they pushed Ukraine to join NATO (which actually never happened).
Also theres a bit about the West backing neonazis in the land where nazis supported hitler in ww2...
And Vučić saying Hungary was pushed to invade Serbia in 1999.

Those 2 caught my eye the most.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/video/I-230995

Joseph Borell's speech was rather open and damning to some EU leaders to assess their future.
This is a very blunt, but also important speech. Us people in the EU can no longer hide in this world and just enjoy our cake. We will have to sacrifice parts of the lifestyle we have enjoyed for so many years, to avoid being held hostage by the superpowers of this world.

If we can do this without the EU crumbling from within im not sure though, hopefully...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Another Sims moment for the spymasters at FSB
There is a video that shows the trucks arriving. It can only be seen shortly as it drives behind the red one, but the truck in the background looks like it could fit the X-Ray. It's just that they don't have another camera angle to properly show it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If this happens it can only mean Russia's economy is in serious trouble. The issue is it's impossible to believe anything coming out of Putin's mouth as he has lied so many times.
One definitely can't believe anything Putin says, although it would make sense that they are running out of money and resources due to sanctions and expenditure on the war.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Russia running out of money
Or trying to feed the discord? I was reading an article yesterday that there's a significant part of the population in eastern Germany (poorer already and hit hardest by the current situation - I know you know, but not everyone might) that wants the German government to stop sending weapons Ukraine and restore its relations with Russia, in order to be able to receive gas again. When winter really starts, these movements may get larger and more serious all over Europe - and they will feel strenghtened by believing that Russia would be ready to restore gas delivery if only the European countries lifted the sanctions (and repaired the Nordstream pipes, I guess).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm guessing with manpads of sort.
After positive reports of their role in the Kharkiv offensive I an just waiting for the first confirmed kill by a Gepard, just for the sake of it. :lol:

tomaldinho1

Sure, I was more interested in the actual systems used - MANPADS, systems like Tor or Osa, or maybe SPAAG like the Gepard? I'm curious how much these systems are currently used near the front.
Would assume manpads, that was one thing the UK and Lithuania were on unbelievably quickly and almost every video now you see multiple of them with each group of troops.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Or trying to feed the discord? I was reading an article yesterday that there's a significant part of the population in eastern Germany (poorer already and hit hardest by the current situation - I know you know, but not everyone might) that wants the German government to stop sending weapons Ukraine and restore its relations with Russia, in order to be able to receive gas again. When winter really starts, these movements may get larger and more serious all over Europe - and they will feel strenghtened by believing that Russia would be ready to restore gas delivery if only the European countries lifted the sanctions (and repaired the Nordstream pipes, I guess).
Nordstream 2 is still operational, only one of two pipelines was damaged, so it could be inmediately used.

And it's not news, it's clear to everyone in Germany that gas imports could be started if we make a deal with Putin. Putin signalling this again might strengthen those protests a little, but there is no indication that the tide will turn so far.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

That's inaccurate. I merely said it was interesting.

dove

So after failing to find a single nazi during the past 8 months, the narrative shifted towards fighting gay satanists. Wondering what's next in line.

frostbite

I absolutely adore those quotes from former Western strategists who somehow managed to delude themselves into thinking that Russia didn't do anything wrong before 1996 and only after that they started to turn into this weird hybrid of mafia state with a former empire. They even managed to delude themselves into thinking that this invasion happened because Ukraine was joining NATO without it.
All these "important thinkers" fail to consider that Russia invaded Ukraine exactly because Ukraine did not join NATO! That was the main failure of the West, that Germany and France did not accept Ukraine into NATO. If Ukraine had joined NATO in 2008, we would never have a war, as we did not have a war in the Baltic States that also have a lot of Russians in their population.

frostbite

Exactly! The only realistic way for Putin to win this war is discord in the West.

His other realistic plan is to stabilise the front and hope that the war drags out for two more years, and his buddy Trump becomes President again. That's his wet dream, I guess.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nordstream 2 is still operational, only one of two pipelines was damaged, so it could be inmediately used.
Yeah, I know, and there's also the overland route through Ukraine. That still works as well, right? Just figured I'd mention Nordstream before someone brings it up.
And it's not news, it's clear to everyone in Germany that gas imports could be started if we make a deal with Putin. Putin signalling this again might strengthen those protests a little, but there is no indication that the tide will turn so far.
In principle, yes, but in a time when people's views appear to be constantly reinforced/fueled/misdirected through social media, I suppose frequently stating this explicitly is helpful.

RoyH1

Exactly! The only realistic way for Putin to win this war is discord in the West.

His other realistic plan is to stabilise the front and hope that the war drags out for two more years, and his buddy Trump becomes President again. That's his wet dream, I guess.
He doesn't need to wait that long. In two months the Republicans might control Congress and all he needs is to stop the flow of modern weapons to Ukraine. And high energy prices over the course of the winter could cause a lot of social unrest in countries like Germany or Italy.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ukraine has been used at least two times as a gate to invade Russia.
This is the worst possible argument for Ukraine being part of Russia, since Ukraine was part of Russia both times that happened. Clearly it didn't help. It's also, incidentally, the argument Russian nationalists use on Poland. Are you in favour of Russia annexing Poland? Maybe that would make you less anxious sitting in your shelter on the opposite side of the planet?

The Firestarter

This is the worst possible argument for Ukraine being part of Russia, since Ukraine was part of Russia both times that happened. Clearly it didn't help. It's also, incidentally, the argument Russian nationalists use on Poland. Are you in favour of Russia annexing Poland? Maybe that would make you less anxious sitting in your shelter on the opposite side of the planet?
It's waste of time replying to that poster.