Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I mean, we have to talk about the numbers numbers in this play by Abramovich.

That's what - 3,5 billion pounds or so? What did he pay for Chelsea when he bought them?

Also, all debts, loans etc. will be erased, personally financed by him. What's the total for him here? 10 billion?!
The end of an era in world football. So far the unprecedented king of "big enough personal wallet = trophies". He started this. Good fecking riddance! ..

This is sale is many things:

1) Absolutely the right thing to do
2) A man desperate to get the feck out as clean as possible
3) A man washing the blood off his hands with money
4) A man who smells sanctions in the near distance

I hope Bojo sanctions his ass and freeze all his accounts, assets, property in the UK. Still donating the net proceeds (after due process not involving Roman) to a multi billion pound, legit charity. For the victims of the moneys origin and history in the first place.

Edit: Also, the "war" part. This is a man who's not moving back to Russia after this is over. He's desperate to not cut all ties with the west.

I believe it's "all net proceeds", meaning most likely sale price minus debt, minus purchase price. If sale price is £2b it therefore would be around £350m donated.

Interesting as well as the donation terminology is "victims of the war". Certainly not specifically Ukrainians.

It's getting ridiculous. I think companies are looking to appear to be doing the right thing, rather than doing the right thing.

That's precisely what it is. After all, who wants to be the off man out in doing nothing when other companies are viewed by the public as taking action.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
You knew all along and you did feck all to stop it, Pooh. A special place in hell awaits for you too.

China had a lot of interest in how this plays out.

If the west had wavered and whimpered, that would tell them a lot about how an invasion of Taiwan could go.

This will definitely be a cause for pause for them.

What's wrong about it?

It assumes that everyone in Russia supports Putin. We all know Russian people aren't free to express themselves politically, it's a dictatorship.

The other day a Russian tennis player wrote on a camera - "no war please". Soon people like him won't have a platform to earn on, let alone express themselves. It's a matter of scheduling. Had he been knocked out of this tournament, he'd have been probably cancelled by the next.

Sanction the state, sanction people with close political ties, put on the financial sanctions but this "cancelling" of Russia and everyone Russian is disturbing.

Especially considering everyone is will buying Russian oil and gas. Meanwhile the press have a hardon for the Pakistani PM for buying wheat and signing a long agreed energy deal.

Oh, if you think that's a breach of the Geneva Convention, then read this official statement on their official account...

274667481_3212998472265108_4770733508760259088_n.jpg

A bit strong that. The translations are probably not helping, but the entire page looks like a social media intern had too much caffeine.

I mean, we have to talk about the numbers numbers in this play by Abramovich.

That's what - 3,5 billion pounds or so? What did he pay for Chelsea when he bought them?

Also, all debts, loans etc. will be erased, personally financed by him. What's the total for him here? 10 billion?!
The end of an era in world football. So far the unprecedented king of "big enough personal wallet = trophies". He started this. Good fecking riddance! ..

This is sale is many things:

1) Absolutely the right thing to do
2) A man desperate to get the feck out as clean as possible
3) A man washing the blood off his hands with money
4) A man who smells sanctions in the near distance

I hope Bojo sanctions his ass and freeze all his accounts, assets, property in the UK. Still donating the net proceeds (after due process not involving Roman) to a multi billion pound, legit charity. For the victims of the moneys origin and history in the first place.

Edit: Also, the "war" part. This is a man who's not moving back to Russia after this is over. He's desperate to not cut all ties with the west.

/r/soccer on Reddit is collectively creaming itself in praise of this oligarch thug. It's truly an outstanding example of successful sportswashing. This cnut got away with it.

I believe it's "all net proceeds", meaning most likely sale price minus debt, minus purchase price. If sale price is £2b it therefore would be around £350m donated.

Interesting as well as the donation terminology is "victims of the war". Certainly not specifically Ukrainians.

Roman and Putin will see themselves as victims no doubt

I'm guessing Abromovich doesn't expect this situation to de-escalate anytime soon. I'm guessing Putin has told them all this is his 'all-in' play. If he expected Putin to take a portion of Ukraine and then pause the attack to 'negotiate' (but just calm the storm so he could go again in 7 years), then he would just hold on to Chelsea and get it back once negotations were done. But he's selling immediately which is a bit worrying, unless he wanted to sell in beforehand anyway and this was a way for him to get some money out of it before sanctions locked him out of it

You shouldn't be. India has a long history of not taking sides, it didn't take sides in the cold war either. India has deep seated military ties with Russia too. These countries jumping to condemn Russia have nothing to lose economically or politically from it. India does. How many of them jumped to condemn their Western allies when they wage illegal wars? Ultimately nations look out for their own best interests - India's best interest is in remaining neutral. The world is changing, all the wealth is not all horded in Europe and America. In 20-30 years time there will be as much wealth in Asian and African markets as the Western world. Countries like India can now afford to walk an independent path without repercussions.
So they’re not independent after all? If they can’t even condemn genuine evil. You’re a complete joke I must say.

Elaborate please.

I wrote this on another post...

It assumes that everyone in Russia supports Putin. We all know Russian people aren't free to express themselves politically, it's a dictatorship.

The other day a Russian tennis player wrote on a camera - "no war please". Soon people like him won't have a platform to earn on, let alone express themselves. It's a matter of scheduling. Had he been knocked out of this tournament, he'd have been probably cancelled by the next.

Sanction the state, sanction people with close political ties, put on the financial sanctions but this "cancelling" of Russia and everyone Russian is disturbing.

Also think about the Russian fans who've bought the game, or the Russian clubs who feature in the game. What have any of them done wrong?

IDK, some of them might be hardcore putin puppets, for all i know.

I also don't want to point out the hypocrisy in the position western businesses and world sporting bodies have taken against another state which occupies land and regularly commits grave human rights violations. TBH that could refer to a shit ton of countries - thats the sad fact. I'm deliberately choosing not to name any one country, because a part of me feels by doing so i take away from the focus on Ukraine. However I and a lot of other people are absolutely seething about how the Western world has gone about it's approach to this conflict, compared to others. it's for another thread though - i don't want anyone to think i'm taking anything away from the suffering of the people of Ukraine, or doing whataboutery in favour of Putin. As far as i'm concerned, he can do one.

You shouldn't be. India has a long history of not taking sides, it didn't take sides in the cold war either. India has deep seated military ties with Russia too. These countries jumping to condemn Russia have nothing to lose economically or politically from it. India does. How many of them jumped to condemn their Western allies when they wage illegal wars? Ultimately nations look out for their own best interests - India's best interest is in remaining neutral. The world is changing, all the wealth is not all horded in Europe and America. In 20-30 years time there will be as much wealth in Asian and African markets as the Western world. Countries like India can now afford to walk an independent path without repercussions.

I think he can feel that way if he like.

It’s more noble to stand up for what is right irrespective of the impact on yourself. Sitting on the fence of inaction is pretty inexcusable under the circumstances

I think he can feel that way if he like.

It’s more noble to stand up for what is right irrespective of the impact on yourself. Sitting on the fence of inaction is pretty inexcusable under the circumstances
Exactly, it's not like Europe won't feel the economical consequences of their sanctions

Europe has plenty to lose from condemning Russia.

The start and end of your post are completely contradictory. If we could 'walk an independent path', we'd have called the cnut out. We can't because we rely too much on him which is why I said us abstaining is understandable. Doesn't make it any less disgusting though and of course I feel that given what's happening.

So they’re not independent after all? If they can’t even condemn genuine evil. You’re a complete joke I must say.

For a start they'd be hypocrites for condemning Putin when they're doing much worse in Kashmir and have done for 40+ years.

Secondly, they'd be pretty within their right to ask where the whole world was in condemnation and sanctions when China annexed Indian territory multiple times over the last couple of years.

Thirdly, they've sat back and worked with loads of other countries who have commited crimes equal to or greater than those commited by Putin in Ukraine today, so why would they make an exception now.

Lets not go on a tangent though.

I can't believe i'm a Pakistani defending India's politicans. The world is truly FUBAR.

The start and end of your post are completely contradictory. If we could 'walk an independent path', we'd have called the cnut out. We can't because we rely too much on him which is why I said us abstaining is understandable. Doesn't make it any less disgusting though and of course I feel that given what's happening.

I think you’ve got it spot on

For a start they'd be hypocrites for condemning Putin when they're doing much worse in Kashmir and have done for 40+ years.

Secondly, they'd be pretty within their right to ask where the whole world was in condemnation and sanctions when China annexed Indian territory multiple times over the last couple of years.

Thirdly, they've sat back and worked with loads of other countries who have commited crimes equal to or greater than those commited by Putin in Ukraine today, so why would they make an exception now.

I can't believe i'm a Pakistani defending India's politicans. The world is truly FUBAR.

So it’s more whataboutism

There's a separate thread for this.

That's precisely what it is. After all, who wants to be the off man out in doing nothing when other companies are viewed by the public as taking action.

But this is a good thing. It creates unity in condemning the Russian invasion. And it matters if there is universal condemnation from everyone, in both small and large issues, even if it is just "public relations" for some companies.

This is very sad and disturbing, the optimist in me hoped the Ukrainians would hold their major cities.
It was a matter of time I reckon. Not necessarily this thread, but on Reddit I was already seeing people get a little giddy thinking it was almost over.