Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I'd like to know as well, some mod must have changed something because all I can see are posts that say you can't call him Putin and must instead call him Putin..
Some were calling him Pu*tler. Tydligen får man inte längre göra det.

Russia have just stopped the broadcast of our only relatively opposition-leaning radio station (Echo Moscow) & also restricted access to its website.
Dozhd', the only independent news TV channel that hadn't been allowed to broadcast TV for years now, & switched to their website and YouTube also had their website blocked.

Roskomnadzor had issued a warning to Wikipedia, threatening to block it, because of the article about this war.
This is scary, when a regime goes further in the censorship, you fear what they are about to do.

You keep on trying to defend what is clearly a racist policy of only allowing white / Ukrainians through. The non-white people are probably there on student or work visas. Why shouldn’t they be let through?
Is there a border in the world that doesn’t prioritise people based on passport and what checks need to be made? People who have no visa-free access to the EU are going to be processed differently.

Obviously with the humanitarian and wartime situation, further distinction will be made between women, children, the elderly and others. If you are an overseas student or worker between the age of 18-40 who ordinarily has no visa access to the EU, you aren’t going to be a priority for processing and you are going to be asked to join a separate, far slower queue, subject to more checks. Now if the border guards are discriminating within that group based on race or skin colour, then that is wrong.

It astounds me that people expect that everyone reaching the border will be in one long line, first come first serve, treated the same regardless of their passport. The world doesn’t work like that – and I say that as someone who thinks the elimination of borders and the Schengen Zone is one of the great European success stories.

Last edited:
Oh damn, them germans were really serious about it, good for them. Massive shift in the energy market, might be time to invest in nuclear sectors (just kidding, I hate the idea of taking advantage of a war to make money).

Times of war are when we need strong democratic foundations the most, it's what differentiates us from barbarians.

This episode has been a massive geo-political inflection point for Germany, with respect to its defense and energy policies in particular.

That's an outrageous take in a civilized country. Everyone should be able to have the best defence possible, even the worst of the worst, that's a cornerstone of any decent judicial system. Unless these lawyers committed malpractice or crimes, they shouldn't be singled out. And if the law doesn't suit some representatives, they should just change it.

Aren't the baddy lawyers also good lawyers in a way because they make sure their client is represented properly so there can't be a "my lawyer was incompetent so is a mistrial" type thing?

I'd like to know as well, some mod must have changed something because all I can see are posts that say you can't call him Putin and must instead call him Putin..
Some people spit their dummy because some of us were using names of Putin combined with his German counterpart from WW2.

So much for freedom of speech when others on here love going on about how both sides are at fault and that's fine

You keep on trying to defend what is clearly a racist policy of only allowing white / Ukrainians through. The non-white people are probably there on student or work visas. Why shouldn’t they be let through?
They were warned by the government to leave weeks ago, apparently. If they didn't, the government is going to prioritize their own citizens over everyone else. That's normal. It would happen everywhere. There are lots of Indian students that should have left when the warnings started but didn't or probably couldn't, and it sucks. But it's normal procedure. I'm sure a black Ukrainian national was probably prioritized over a white international student

Any chance we can get all Russian oligarchs deported along with any politician taking their donations. and bring in more Ukrainian refugees instead. And by deported I mean randomly dropped somewhere in the Atlantic.
Maybe we need them to overhaul Putin?

Or is that fanciful thinking?

Maybe we need them to overhaul Putin?

Or is that fanciful thinking?
Maybe, but it seems to be the option that would make the best outcome possible. Get rid of Putin, blame everything on him and get out of Ukraine, reduce the sanctions (and therefore allow the oligarchs to earn money and actually spend it where they like - in the west).

It does look pretty bad doesn't it. There are frankly no excuses for it.

I have family there …nice town
It is, also the name of the province, which as @stefan92 said has a lot of natural gas and as a result of drilling fornit have experienced a lot of earthquakes. I imagine with this shiteshow we will need more of it.

Aren't the baddy lawyers also good lawyers in a way because they make sure their client is represented properly so there can't be a "my lawyer was incompetent so is a mistrial" type thing?

That's not really how I think. It's my deep belief that a conviction is only deserved when the defendant had the best representation possible. This way you know the judicial system works.I've represented very bad people in my practice (when I say bad i mean childen killer bad). And I always did the best job I could.It was a huge relief when they got convicted but at least I knew they deserved it and that the system worked (it's not always the case).

Now I'm a business lawyer, and I use laws I don't like every day to defend my clients. I even vote for representatives who intend to change these very laws, but it is what it is, I'm a lawyer and not a lawmaker. As I said, unless they commited malpractice, change the law, don't blame the lawyers.

A very interesting video which I'm in the process of watching analysing Putin's psyche.

The guy with the YouTube channel has been on my wavelength with regard to Corona and called quite a few things right (although I only found him recently)

It's a bit of a long watch.

feck me that nurse bloke is one attention seeking sod who loves to pretend he’s an expert in everything. I find him nauseating.

Thanks, I was wondering why Groningen should expect to be bombed :nervous:
Misplaced nukes meant for East Frisia - Germany's strategic reserve storage for oil and gas (also a lot of commercial gas storage) is located there, just on the other side of the Dutch/German border.

It's absolutely disgusting. A friend of mine tried to cross the Polish border on the 25th and was stopped about 2 km before the border, near a rest stop. He and a group that he was with weren't allowed to proceed to the border. They waited in the same position for 3 hours and then went back, walking.

Some of these stories are much worse than what he went through. But it's the same type of sickening behaviour.

The border crossing thing is bizarre. I get transportation but why do they care whether someone goes into Poland? Is that a Polish or an Ukrainian decision?

And surely most of these people have enough money to get home, so let them.

Assuming for the sake of argument that this segregation reports are true: why would the Ukrainians be against all those people leaving their country, especially once they have already made it to the border? Is it possible that Poland/EU told them they only take Ukrainians and EU nationals?

Assuming for the sake of argument that this segregation reports are true: why would the Ukrainians be against all those people leaving their country? Is it possible that Poland/EU told them they only take Ukrainians and EU nationals?
This would be my guess but still weird.

But vulnerable to mini-earthquakes due to natural gas production which might be increased now (to give some context, I guess not many understand what @KirkDuyt refers to)
Thanks …hadn’t realised about the natural gas production

Assuming for the sake of argument that this segregation reports are true: why would the Ukrainians be against all those people leaving their country, especially once they have already made it to the border? Is it possible that Poland/EU told them they only take Ukrainians and EU nationals?
Keeping them back makes it easier for their own people to cross the border quickly I guess? But still a bit weird.

The border crossing thing is bizarre. I get transportation but why do they care whether someone goes into Poland? Is that a Polish or an Ukrainian decision?

And surely most of these people have enough money to get home, so let them.

I was about to ask the same thing. Surely it is a good thing to get innocents out of the country quickly?

This would be my guess but still weird.

Would it be that weird? Refugees are a loaded topic in the EU, it wouldn't surprise me if the Poles, or really everyone, told Ukraine that they will take their people, but asked them to keep the rest away for their own governments to organize their evacuation.

Another explanation, especially in the case of Indians, could be that they want to keep them as sort of hostages to change their neutral stance.

Didn't the EU grant certain rights of refuge to ukranian citizens .... But not necessarily everybody leaving Ukraine

Not to justify the way non EU / ukranians are being treated but may explain why they are separating them / processing them differently

No excuse for treating peopl badly and Poland / Hungary are not exactly countries known for their inclusive race relations so hard to know beyond what has been published .... Which does not look good.

The white/non-white separation wouldn't make sense though, unless every non-white person was not Ukrainian or an EU national.

As mentioned before, don’t know what to believe really because at the same time we have all of our right wing basically going bonkers over the fact that we are accepting non-Ukrainians and letting them come to country. So it’s a lose-lose because nobody really knows what is happening on our side and everyone is outraged.

Just remember that the view of our government on immigrants is not representative of 75% of our population.

Russia have just stopped the broadcast of our only relatively opposition-leaning radio station (Echo Moscow) & also restricted access to its website.
Dozhd', the only independent news TV channel that hadn't been allowed to broadcast TV for years now, & switched to their website and YouTube also had their website blocked.

Roskomnadzor had issued a warning to Wikipedia, threatening to block it, because of the article about this war.
Hi mate, forgive the igorance but what is the belief among Russian society in general now? Are the younger generation (social media etc) more aware of how Russia appear to the outside world?

When Russians overthrow Ukrainian government, I don’t think they’ll care about Nord Stream 2 apart from the 14 billion or so lost or however much it cost.

The white/non-white separation wouldn't make sense though, unless every non-white person was not Ukrainian or an EU national.

We don't know what's going on precisely though, whether they are really turning away every single non-white person. As I said: I could see this coming from Poland or the EU and I could see why the Ukrainians would want to keep nationals of uninvolved countries in their country. Even if both would be quite cynical. But I have a hard time believing that everyone is just doing it for the sake of being racist.

Lads anyone that makes a smart remark or stupid quips for laughs in this thread..

Just fecking stop it

When Russians overthrow Ukrainian government, I don’t think they’ll care about Nord Stream 2 apart from the 14 billion or so lost or however much it cost.
That was mostly German money anyways. German investors seem to be willing to get their money back from our government. Russia was obviously involved a lot, but you should be aware of this I think.

Russia is very quickly turning into North Korea, both in economic and political standing.

You can't ban websites like wikipedia or youtube forever unless you never want your citizens to use those sites ever again.