Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

If Russia were going to use a nuke it would be a small one on Ukraine to show how batshit they are but not something that would trigger a full scale nuclear war.

Nevermind using a small nuke. The mere fact that Putin is waving the "I've got nukes" card is more than sufficient to remind the world of his state of mind.

But, without retaliation there will be no global annihilation...
Launching a nuclear missile is no easy task even in the 21st century. And the launch will not go unnoticed. Then, I am sure, some other state retaliates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a feck up then really? We should start issuing NATO membership out for any country that sends in a stamped, addressed envelope

How much tactical planning support do you think the US are giving Ukraine? I wonder if the US generals are pretty much calling the plays.

Hopefully the Russians themselves see Putin for the meglamaniac he is/has become and there’s some sort of internal coup to bring this to an end.
I can’t see the Ukraine invasion coming to any sort of conclusion with Putin staying in power.

If Russia were going to use a nuke it would be a small one on Ukraine to show how batshit they are but not something that would trigger a full scale nuclear war.
Ffs, your even so called "small" nuke constitues a genocide. The aggressor will be dealt with immediately.

Ukraine aren't in NATO but yes it would be an absolute travesty. I just hope someone in Putin's circles ends him if he starts down that path.
I know they’re not in NATO. I meant given how NATO have reacted so far it’s hard not to see them reacted to that too, and not just with sanctions. Putin clearly didn’t expect a response like this from NATO members to the invasion.

Nevermind using a small nuke. The mere fact that Putin is waving the "I've got nukes" card is more than sufficient to remind the world of his state of mind.
Exactly, and basically everyone is calling his bluff now. More and more countries are openly damaging Russia's economy. Nobody is stepping back sh!t scared.

Norway now also going to give military equipment to Ukraine, and allows ammunition manufactured in Norway to be sold by other states. Also have set up 2 billion NOK to help refugees from Ukraine.

Only defensive equipment, mind. In other words, what the Germans were laughed at for, though I guess expectations are lower for us. Hopefully we send more than 5000 helmets, at least 6000.

Let's say Russia nukes the UK, for example. Will the rest of the world nuke Russia if they know it would mean the end of us all?
UK would nuke Russia most likely in retaliation. They have 4 subs which should be able to carry 48 nukes each (always at least one of them is in water, but I think now more if not all are in water). When a prime minister is elected he writes a letter to the captain of those ships that can be opened only if they cannot contact the chain of command for 4 hours.

Apparently the letter can have 4 options: retaliate, go under US command if it exists, go towards Australia, and use your own judgement. So far, no letter has ever be opened.

Who knows what Boris has written but obviously retaliate is the safest option. So if is retaliate, you can expect Moscow and another 50 or so large Russian cities being burned in return.

And that is without the US retaliation which will obviously come.

UK would nuke Russia most likely in retaliation. They have 4 subs which should be able to carry 48 nukes each (always at least one of them is in water, but I think now more if not all are in water). When a prime minister is elected he writes a letter to the captain of those ships that can be opened only if they cannot contact the chain of command for 4 hours.

Apparently the letter can have 4 options: retaliate, go under US command if it exists, go towards Australia, and use your own judgement. So far, no letter has ever be opened.

Who knows what Boris has written but obviously retaliate is the safest option. So if is retaliate, you can expect Moscow and another 50 or so large Russian cities being burned in return.

I'm pretty amazed to learn how archaic some of the systems at play are

Still, it's pretty bulletproof (or water tight :D?)

I think so, that if they use a nuke it is most certainly a small tactical one in Ukrainian forces.

The problem though is that then we are in a completely unknown unknown scenario. What is US retaliates with a small tactical nuke to show that they are not accepting getting bullied.

One tactical nuke in Kiev.... I'm not sure everybody would see that over the red line (that triggers mutual assure distruction)

Seems more plausible as a starting point than nuking a NATO member
Are you for real? The moment the launch is detected, NATO planes and submarines are on the way.

Is it possible to intercept and stop a nuke once it's in flight, or is it a case of nothing being able to stop it before it reaches its destination?

I think so, that if they use a nuke it is most certainly a small tactical one in Ukrainian forces.

The problem though is that then we are in a completely unknown unknown scenario. What is US retaliates with a small tactical nuke to show that they are not accepting getting bullied.

I think that's a lot more likely than the US and UK nuking the entirety of Russia. Hopefully, at least.

Is it possible to intercept and stop a nuke once it's in flight, or is it a case of nothing being able to stop it before it reaches its destination?

Yes. But the problem is a lot of the newer ICBMs have countermeasures to counter it :lol:

Looking at the state of Russian tech though, I think our counter measures will still work....hopefully :nervous:

These systems exist, but in the event of full scale nuclear war, they wouldn't be able to stop many of the nukes at all.

You have a weird obsession with China being the big bad evil empire.

Not long ago they're innitiating a BRI that would have created a world of open trade and cooperation.

And they got a trade war for that.

This kind of antagonizing and political posturing is the actual source of conflict

Weird obsession? They are the only other truly big player on stage, they are not a democracy a la Europe or US, they have an underlying, antagonistic line in common with Putin and they are apparently neutral in this escalating war.

Morbid curiosity at this point, but do we know if there a match between cities in case of a nuclear strike. Let's say russia nukes sheffield instead of london, the UK wouldn't nuke moscow but an equivalent city. Is this a thing?