Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

How many western navy ships has the Houthi rebels been able to hit so far with their drones and missiles?

I think you might be asking the wrong questions. In my opinion, the right questions are "How many were actually targeted and with what volume of drones/missiles?" Without knowing the answer to those, the answer to your question is meaningless.

But we know that Houthis only get a small fraction of the materiel Iran produces. Iran also supplies Russia, Hezbollah and a score of other military movements in the region. I suspect that if US Navy ships were in the Persian Gulf and targeted in earnest by Iran, it would be a whole different matter. And targeted by China in the straight of Taiwan, it would be a whole different matter again.

LONDON — European nations are setting up a drone coalition, led by Latvia and Britain, to supply and support the production of thousands of first-person-view drones for the Ukrainian military.

The drone coalition intends to deliver one million drones to Ukraine, said the Latvian MoD in a statement. No timeline for the drone deliveries was given by officials in Riga.

Small drones have proven highly effective on the battlefield since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, providing operators with situational awareness to target enemy positions, armored vehicles, and ships with explosive ordnance. First-person-view drones are typically piloted with the help of goggles, allowing operators to see a live video feed from the drone’s camera.
https://www.defensenews.com/global/...-to-rush-first-person-view-drones-to-ukraine/

Communication on this has been...bad. There is a difference between nuclear-powered and a nuclear weapon. Still unclear what it is.

Communication on this has been...bad. There is a difference between nuclear-powered and a nuclear weapon. Still unclear what it is.

I did sort of slightly wonder. Surely Russia would have been capable of exploding a LEO nuke for multiple decades.

Really, go figure what Mike Turner was even thinking when he did that stunt. Several Democrats, former CIA directors and former officers are not particularly happy at the turn of events as there are rules for dealing with such sensitive intel. In other words, you cannot leak stuff like that when it doesn't tell the whole story.

Bad news. Hopefully the European countries can ramp up ammunition production quickly now to prevent this happening again.

Exclusive: Russia attempting to develop nuclear space weapon to destroy satellites with massive energy wave

Russia is trying to develop a nuclear space weapon that would destroy satellites by creating a massive energy wave when detonated, potentially crippling a vast swath of the commercial and government satellites that the world below depends on to talk on cell phones, pay bills, and surf the internet, according to three sources familiar with US intelligence about the weapon.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/16/...08130837&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

While there is and will be plenty of blame t throw at Mike Johnson for blocking the aid package to Ukraine, I say Joe Biden needs to sack Jake Sullivan in order to calm down angry voices from within his own party, calling out how slow military aid has been sent to Ukraine over the last 2 years overall.

It's time for someone like William McRaven to get the job.

Last edited:
While there is and will be plenty of blame t throw at Mike Johnson for blocking the aid package to Ukraine, I say Joe Biden needs to sack Jake Sullivan in order to calm down angry voices from within his own party, calling out how slow military aid has been sent to Ukraine over the last 2 years overall.

It's time for someone like William McRaven to get the job.

I'm not blaming dems directly, but perhaps it wasn't such a swell idea to back Gaetz little coup.

Yes, they got a few laughs, but in the end, they ended up with a speaker who won't work with them on anything.

This backfired in a big way, and sadly, for Ukraine even more.

When people said having numbers didn't help Russians in history earlier in this thread, I was surprised. I actually thought it was one of the main reasons (along with American equipment) to turn around against the Nazis.

Numbers do matter, especially if people are dumb enough to die for some dictator. It is very depressing for Ukraine that some leaders from the U.S. are abandoning them. It is getting to the point that it is getting a bit too late.

When people said having numbers didn't help Russians in history earlier in this thread, I was surprised. I actually thought it was one of the main reasons (along with American equipment) to turn around against the Nazis.

Numbers do matter, especially if people are dumb enough to die for some dictator. It is very depressing for Ukraine that some leaders from the U.S. are abandoning them. It is getting to the point that it is getting a bit too late.

Numbers in terms of men matters, but not so much as equipment.

Half a year ago, Ukraine actually had the advantage in a number of areas, artillery being one of them, but then, US couldn't be bothered supporting them anymore, and Europe couldn't be bothered to up production either, so now we see the consequences.

Putin was banking on the west growing bored, and looks like he will be right.

If NATO don't really care about Ukraine, the very least they could do would be to honest with Ukraine about it, instead of these "we will never abandon you"-nonsense statements.

Numbers in terms of men matters, but not so much as equipment.

Half a year ago, Ukraine actually had the advantage in a number of areas, artillery being one of them, but then, US couldn't be bothered supporting them anymore, and Europe couldn't be bothered to up production either, so now we see the consequences.

Putin was banking on the west growing bored, and looks like he will be right.

If NATO don't really care about Ukraine, the very least they could do would be to honest with Ukraine about it, instead of these "we will never abandon you"-nonsense statements.
Pretty much agree with the last paragraph, I'm getting to the 'give it up, what's the point'? Stage myself. Go all in or get all out, see what happens

Is there a possibility Russia will go further into Ukraine and occupy more territory again, now that Ukraine is short on ammo and man power or the stalemate is the best and most realistic cause of events?

Is there a possibility Russia will go further into Ukraine and occupy more territory again, now that Ukraine is short on ammo and man power or the stalemate is the best and most realistic cause of events?

It's unlikely to be more than the odd town here and there, they threw everything at Avdiivka to get it. The good thing is that the European ammo production supposedly is slowly ramping up, even if not as fast as is needed, so even without US aid, the situation should get a bit less dire as we go. What happens with Ukrainian mobilisation is also important I think. If they can hold on until they get a more steady supply of ammo and then mobilise more men, they should be in a much better position than right now.

Sounds like they moved a Patriot battery near the front there.

Russian helicopter pilot who defected to Ukraine has apparently been found dead in Spain.

Crazy if true.

If we were to believe them, they shot down the whole VVS, sank the Russian navy and destroyed their whole army.

I don't trust Ukrainian or Russian sources one bit. Two sides of the same coin that vastly exaggerate the enemy's losses and minimize their own, Pravda style.

Look at the front, at territorial gains and losses. Towns conquered or fallen and their strategic importance. Anything else is just a vertical slice that tells nothing about the whole story.

Last edited: