Round of 16 | England vs Slovakia | Spain vs Georgia

By the way, I’m not having any of this ‘players have been wasted under Southgate’ shite. Southgate is poor tactically, but these players have been awful at the basics all tournament.

Survive what?

England have been able to put quite a few crosses into the box. Eventually one of them is going to find Kane and if they just keep chasing the ball from here on they will tire quickly.

Still too scared to pass up the middle

Rice keeps the ball until he almost loses it, then just in the nick of time plays a nothing sideways pass that he could have made before he came under pressure

Bellingham isn’t as silky as I thought. Keeps forgetting to bring the ball with him.

Difficult to create something if you give up one third of the pitch voluntarily.

At kid level you learn to make the pitch as big as possible when you have the ball and as narrow as possible when you don’t. Why the feck do we funnel everything down the middle and tuck the wingers inside? So easy to defend against, they can do this all day.

Southgate is still on chapter one of “Managing for Dummies” and hasn’t covered that content yet. He’s just set all the lads some colouring in homework as he doesn’t want to overwhelm them with tactical jargon like “pass forward” and “create space”.

Absolute bollox. Basically every England fan wanted Southgate out and acknowledged that any success would be in spite of him, not because of him. Which says it all - the squad is teeming with quality but is hamstrung by an inept manager. That's been the prevailing consensus to anyone with functioning eyes, ears and a brain.

Nope, there are many Southgate fans. I talked to one the other day, called him an "excellent tournament manager".

The trouble with England is they look like one of those paint by numbers paintings. No invention, everything done to a predictable formula. A to B, B to C, C to D, rinse and repeat

I’m generally a big fan of Rice and he’s won one or two important challenges, but he’s hiding out there. Not making himself an option for his back line.

Mainoo started brightly, but he too has stopped making himself available.

Our midfield has been really poor.

As has our left flank.

It’s all pretty woeful, tbh.

On the bright side, at least if England go out today, it gives Southgate more time to plan things as the new Man United boss.

Chelsea won't let any club sign anyone.

This ref is either getting paid by the card or is just trying to get as many players suspended as possible for a potential opponent of Turkey in the semi.

Absolute bollox. Basically every England fan wanted Southgate out and acknowledged that any success would be in spite of him, not because of him. Which says it all - the squad is teeming with quality but is hamstrung by an inept manager. That's been the prevailing consensus to anyone with functioning eyes, ears and a brain.

This is just not true.

He has loads of defenders, even up to this game. Including himself and the FA, which is even worse.