Gaming Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5, Series S/X, PC)

The answer is almost always hard level to begin and your reflexes will be sharpened.
3 hours till launch and i still can't decide on the difficulty- normal or hard.
Could be wrong but I think it has the same
dynamic difficulty system thing(The game changes it’s difficulty depending on how well your currently playing) as RE2 Remake.

thanks both-i think i will try my luck on hardcore :devil:. I want to add the platinum to my resi collection so i'm going to have to do hard mode at some point anyway.

It’s terrifying…. played an hour, need to play Mario kart now to calm down

I still hate that the default camera speed and acceleration when aiming is so slow in the full game.

Turned mine up to just over half way and it’s much better. It doesn’t feel like I’m trying to steer an oil tanker when aiming.

Not played this game since it first released on GameCube. That village bit at the start is intense

I absolutely suck at this game on hard mode. I'm appallingly bad but i feel like there's a slight issue with the aiming that i can never seem to get super comfortable on and i'm worried the RT i put on might be affecting the speed of the game (as well Leon's hair highlights but I felt that was a priority setting!)

Good game so far but died at least 15 times on one point

Those fecking dynamite throwers :mad:.

So about 2 hours in. Im bricking myself as usual with RE games. Its not that long time since ive played the previous remakes so im not wowed even though the grahpics are nice but not mindblowing.

Granted I’m only on FPS mode but the graphics to me are nowhere near as impressive as they should be. RE2 and RE3 seemed much better.

I know this is considered the best of the series in popular circles, but i was always more fond of the original 3.

Argh, I have to wait until tomorrow because of work, I put 80 hours into Village, this game will easily double that!

Granted I’m only on FPS mode but the graphics to me are nowhere near as impressive as they should be. RE2 and RE3 seemed much better.

Agree, im playing with fps mode on ps5 but im just not blown away. It looks good, but it doesnt feel like a huge step up from the ps4 games.

The location helps imo, the City at night along with zombies is far more atmospheric than lots of muddy farm land.

it could just be that resident evil 1,2 and 3 are that much older that the jump is more significant.

Pre 2000 the original trilogy.

it could just be that resident evil 1,2 and 3 are that much older that the jump is more significant.

To some extent yes. But i tried turning on resolution mode without ray tracing and it looked much better, but the fps took a major hit so i went back. Its not that its not great looking game. My expectations for just higher for remake being released on next gen consoles.

Well that, and the fact they were redone in a different genre. Also I think it hasn't really been that long since the remakes either.

But since I barely played those, I'll appreciate this more. Especially since it was always my favourite. Though I think some magic will be lost with the modern movement.

Oh and I'm not surprised people are not that into the graphics, I said in here when the demo dropped that the RE:Engine isn't all that, especially on the consoles with the awful implementation of RT.

Game is very tough on hardcore mode I will say. Like other people i'm struggling to decide the best optimization in terms of resolution/FPS/RT. At the moment i've switched to resolution and RT off just too see if it looks any better.

HDR seems to just make the graphics look more washed out but then again the setting is a muddy village in Spain so we can't really expect high colour graphics. Still i'm tempted to leave it off.

Game is very tough on hardcore mode I will say. Like other people i'm struggling to decide the best optimization in terms of resolution/FPS/RT. At the moment i've switched to resolution and RT off just too see if it looks any better.

HDR seems to just make the graphics look more washed out but then again the setting is a muddy village in Spain so we can't really expect high colour graphics. Still i'm tempted to leave it off.

Yep, don't use things just because they are there. Go with what runs/looks better for your eyes.

The RE:engine is very ropey for lighting/shadowing so it makes sense stuff like their fake RT and HDR don't pop like they should. Hopefully they fix it at some point, but as it's Capcom I wouldn't hold out.

Yep, don't use things just because they are there. Go with what runs/looks better for your eyes.

The RE:engine is very ropey for lighting/shadowing so it makes sense stuff like their fake RT and HDR don't pop like they should. Hopefully they fix it at some point, but as it's Capcom I wouldn't hold out.
HDR never looks quite right to me and my TV is meant to be a semi decent Sony brand with 120hz/HDMI 2.1 :confused:

Not being a PC gamer (and also previously not having a PS4 pro but a bog standard PS4) all this optimization stuff is really new to me. I do understand the difference in framerates now. Going back to play Bloodborne and seeing the frame rate is actually a bit of shock now. Guess you just get used to things.

HDR never looks quite right to me and my TV is meant to be a semi decent Sony brand with 120hz/HDMI 2.1 :confused:

Not being a PC gamer (and also previously not having a PS4 pro but a bog standard PS4) all this optimization stuff is really new to me. I do understand the difference in framerates now. Going back to play Bloodborne and seeing the frame rate is actually a bit of shock now. Guess you just get used to things.

Framerate is hard one to explain, but really easy to show with a game that you can turn it to 30fps or 60fps on they fly, just let someone play a game for 10 mins at 60fps then turn it over and they will be shocked at how bad it is.

The standard picture setup on most modern tv's out the box isn't the best as they are purposely tuned to grab your attention when on display in stores (super bright colours etc)

Best bet is to prowl the AVSforums (audio visual forums or something similar on google) find someone with the same model/make of your tv and use their picture settings they have calibrated properly, you can do it yourself with a calibration image but that require more work.

I cant find some the treasure thats marked on my map even when im standing rignt on the icon out in the open. Not sure what to do about it.

Nvm had to look up and shoot it down.

Been playing this. Don’t really find it scary or tense in comparison to Village, or especially 7. Occasionally there’s a few shocks and surprises but lacks the “suspense”. Still a very good game so far, but I’d class it more as action horror

Been playing this. Don’t really find it scary or tense in comparison to Village, or especially 7. Occasionally there’s a few shocks and surprises but lacks the “suspense”. Still a very good game so far, but I’d class it more as action horror
This was the general consensus when it first came out. It was like going from Alien to Aliens, and the franchise benefited as a result of it.

This is where the game left its roots and became more of an action title then survival horror.

Personally prefer the first 3 but 4 is nowhere near as silly as some of the others became.

Yeah it was never that scary, well there are parts later that might freak you a little.

It was more about the crazy set pieces to get the heart rate up. Whilst this remake is very good so far, it really isn't the same kind of thing with the "modern" movement. Not that I think it could go back of course (people would just complain), but in the original the limited movement was specifically to add to the tension and act as mid-ground between what the series was and what it became. In fact there was a whole different RE:4 build (one of a few) where there was full dual stick movement, but it was deemed too much of a departure.

Yeah it was never that scary, well there are parts later that might freak you a little.

It was more about the crazy set pieces to get the heart rate up. Whilst this remake is very good so far, it really isn't the same kind of thing with the "modern" movement. Not that I think it could go back of course (people would just complain), but in the original the limited movement was specifically to add to the tension and act as mid-ground between what the series was and what it became. In fact there was a whole different RE:4 build (one of a few) where there was full dual stick movement, but it was deemed too much of a departure.

Definitely, the new modern shooting mechanics take away massively in the sense of tension and conservation of consumables.

Definitely, the new modern shooting mechanics take away massively in the sense of tension and conservation of consumables.

With the million enemies in this game im always a bit paranoid about overusing ammo.

This is where the game left its roots and became more of an action title then survival horror.

Personally prefer the first 3 but 4 is nowhere near as silly as some of the others became.
Yeah. Res7 feels like a completely different game, guess that was a going back to roots. Res Village feels like a 50/50 between the two.

4 remake, so far, feels more fun. 7 is more immersive and brings you in and has you fully focused.

Suppose Scorsese might class one as a DC/Marvel movie and the other as a movie he’d make :lol:

Yeah. Res7 feels like a completely different game, guess that was a going back to roots. Res Village feels like a 50/50 between the two.

4 remake, so far, feels more fun. 7 is more immersive and brings you in and has you fully focused.

Suppose Scorsese might class one as a DC/Marvel movie and the other as a movie he’d make :lol:

7 had to go back, 6 was appalling (the true Marvel of the lot!) and rightly the end of that line of game. Still not sure how I feel about Village. I like the first person view, and I like the atmosphere a bit more, but still something about it just seems so generic. Like a decent enough fps with the name tacked on. I'd probably enjoy it a lot more in VR, just like 7 was very good without but excellent (one of my favourite games of the gen in fact) in it.

That cabin section is mental on hardcore, I just can't advance at the moment (10 deaths and counting)

The success of the remakes and the success of newer titles like 7 and village has left me really wondering where they will go next when the series advances with a new installment. It's a series that reinvents itself a lot but i hope they don't fall into the same trap of going down the 'pure action' route. I'd say 4 and village keep a nice balance between the two but 5 and 6 were just ridiculous.

I cant say its not objectively a good remake, but i think i suffer from having 2 playthroughs about 2 years ago. There is just no novelty factor apart from the graphics which i still feel should be a notch higher on the ps5. No point in the resolution mode since the lag kicks you in the face.

I cant say its not objectively a good remake, but i think i suffer from having 2 playthroughs about 2 years ago. There is just no novelty factor apart from the graphics which i still feel should be a notch higher on the ps5. No point in the resolution mode since the lag kicks you in the face.

I think the PS5 has some graphical bugs that need patching. Some textures are painfully low resolution and there's shimmering everywhere. Digital Foundry said as much and recommended some settings to make it visually crisper. One being turning off chromatic aberration in settings.

I think the PS5 has some graphical bugs that need patching. Some textures are painfully low resolution and there's shimmering everywhere. Digital Foundry said as much and recommended some settings to make it visually crisper. One being turning off chromatic aberration in settings.

The exact same bug the engine has had since launch, I might add. And not just on the PS5, it's apparent on PC and Xbox too, just less so depending on certain circumstances.

Capcom are woeful at fixing/updating anything.

Just not gripping me at the minute, though admittedly I’m only 30 mins in. I agree with other comments regarding the graphics, just doesn’t look like a PS5 game.

Gonna get Metroid finished first I think then come back to it.

Just not gripping me at the minute, though admittedly I’m only 30 mins in. I agree with other comments regarding the graphics, just doesn’t look like a PS5 game.

Gonna get Metroid finished first I think then come back to it.

It starts to pick up once you get the grasp of it, the combat actually makes sense (in terms of melee) compared to the original. And it has tons of fan service too, the "reworked" areas are total memberberries.

The only real gripe I have is I hate the magic appearing enemies. I blame people accepting that shite in GOW for that.