Religion, what's the point?

Why am I an idiot?

Because you spew a load of bitter shite without any real reason and constantly belittle those with any kind of faith. To put it this way, the world would be worse off if it was full of miserable, pessimistic bastards like you.

you cant have a balanced argument without having all the facts is maybe what they are trying to say to you saliph, unless you have knowledge on the religous beliefs in this world, how can you say that its all bollocks? as i've said i'd love to hear all thats wrong with sikhism in your eyes..

you cant have a balanced argument without having all the facts is maybe what they are trying to say to you saliph, unless you have knowledge on the religous beliefs in this world, how can you say that its all bollocks? as i've said i'd love to hear all thats wrong with sikhism in your eyes..

I feel comfortable saying that Father Christmas is bullshit too without being able to disprove his existence. I'm using common sense. You should try it. Very liberating.

I don't know enough about sikhism, but if it's a theistic belief I feel very comfortable writing it off as bullshit.

I feel comfortable saying that Father Christmas is bullshit too without being able to disprove his existence. I'm using common sense. You should try it. Very liberating.

I don't know enough about sikhism, but if it's a theistic belief I feel very comfortable writing it off as bullshit.

It is not my interest to educate you but to have a normal conversation. Do you not understand the difference?!

Yes, but I'd love to see you educate me. You seem incredibly confident, so please go on. You've been name-dropping as if your life depended on it, surely you must have some points of view worth considering in this discussion.

Yes, but I'd love to see you educate me. You seem incredibly confident, so please go on. You've been name-dropping as if your life depended on it, surely you must have some points of view worth considering in this discussion.

There is no discussion here, really. There's only you being vulgar and embarrassing.

that you come across as a complete twat, your basically trying to convince everyone that there is no God and that we should take your word for it and who the fock are you?

Please show me examples of this. Otherwise you're just a cnut with an attitude.

I would advise you to steer clear of the bullshit theologians, and go straight for the decent ones. Theology is actually rather interesting! Maybe give William of Ockham a whirl? Doctor Invincibilis!

Please give me some examples! I'm dying to know what I've been missing.

I know enough to know that I despise it. I've read enough of the so-called 'holy books' to know that. No matter what these theologians say/have said about their faith, that does not change the fact that the 'holy books' which the Abrahamic religions are founded on are hate-filled books about, among other things, justifying genocide, murder, rape, racism, perverse ideas, and moral rules/laws which are not only flat out ridiculous, but also disgustingly evil and horrible. You cannot get away from that fact, and that fact explains my 'immature' and hostile attitude towards it.

Theism falls short, both scientifically and philosophically, and, perhaps most importantly, morally.

im the cnut with an attitude...

":lol:"

No, I can't respect religious beliefs. They're stupid, childish, perverse, immoral, disgusting, and sometimes dangerous. A disgrace to the human race. On the contrary, I lose a bit of respect for anyone who claims to be religious.

religion is the belief in some form of god, no? by saying religious beliefs are stupid, childish, perverse, immoral, disgusting and sometimes dangerous that would imply you werent a big fan of religion and as religion is ultimately some form of worship to god you are setting your argument out to 'disprove the existence of God'

i didnt use the appropriate words in my earlier post, your not trying to convince anyone, your just stating your point of view, my bad.

To be fair, wasn't you doing this in the Joss Stone thread?

No. I wouldn't ever try to justify rape, murder, genocide, or anything of the sort, from a morally normal person's point of view. You've misunderstood me.

No. I wouldn't ever try to justify rape, murder, genocide, or anything of the sort, from a morally normal person's point of view. You've misunderstood me.

You were saying you could understand that if they'd plotted to rob and kill her, you could see why they'd rape her too since she'd be dying anyway. Is that not justifying the act of rape?

religion is the belief in some form of god, no? by saying religious beliefs are stupid, childish, perverse, immoral, disgusting and sometimes dangerous that would imply you werent a big fan of religion and as religion is ultimately some form of worship to god you are setting your argument out to 'disprove the existence of God'

i didnt use the appropriate words in my earlier post, your not trying to convince anyone, your just stating your point of view, my bad.

You're muddling together deistic and theistic beliefs. Educate yourself before returning to this discussion.

You were saying you could understand that if they'd plotted to rob and kill her, you could see why they'd rape her too since she'd be dying anyway. Is that not justifying the act of rape?

No. What I was saying was that if they had no moral conflicts with killing/robbing this girl, why would they have any for raping her? And where was the motive for killing her if they were not going to rape her?

I'd never say that rape, murder, or anything of the sort was right. I'm not a christian/jew/muslim.

I usually come into CE to escape the nuthouse but its found its way in here. Why all the aggro?

I'm not religious in any way but if you do read the Bible and I'm presuming the Koran and Torah you find them very gentle in nature, hardly this disgusting or perverted explanation given above.

I actually find the bible very calming and an idyllic example of how people could behave, although I am astonished by how religous figures use/used it in our history. The words of the books itself are marvellous.

Anyone posting out of context is a tw@t....

You're muddling together deistic and theistic beliefs. Educate yourself before returning to this discussion.

no im talking about religion

religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power , especially a personal God or gods

youve said in your posts religous and religion, thats the meaning of religion and thats what ive replied about

No. What I was saying was that if they had no moral conflicts with killing/robbing this girl, why would they have any for raping her? And where was the motive for killing her if they were not going to rape her?

The motive was in the robbery. Or the motive was in the killing. Or both.

The rape part only came into it because she's a pretty girl, if it was some 80 year old grandmother, you wouldn't have had that view.

But that says more about you than the robbers.

I'd never say that rape, murder, or anything of the sort was right. I'm not a christian/jew/muslim.

But you were justifying it if they had. Just like those religions apparently do.

The motive was in the robbery. Or the motive was in the killing. Or both.

The rape part only came into it because she's a pretty girl, if it was some 80 year old grandmother, you wouldn't have had that view.

But that says more about you than the robbers.

But you were justifying it if they had. Just like those religions apparently do.

There's no reason for me to try to explain this to you if you haven't gotten it by now. I cannot make it any clearer than I have, and I've already conceded that it was poorly phrased to begin with.

And it doesn't matter. Whatever views I might've held on this issue, it would have nothing to do with anything other than me being a sick bastard. Steven Weinberg has a great quote on this:

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

In other words, it would have absolutely no influence on the debate we're currently having.

Oh, and just to make it clear, I don't think rape, murder or genocide are ever morally justifiable.

Please give me some examples! I'm dying to know what I've been missing.
:lol: I'm not at the absolute peak of my powers here (to put it mildly), and presented with the task of producing a decent reading list for the theology of the world religions I admit I have to throw in the towel.

I did give you one recommendation, though -- William of Ockham. And here's another -- Ibn Rushd (often known as Averroes).

My point upthread was simply that whether you're a believer, an agnostic or an atheist is immaterial -- theology is an important part of our cultural history (and there's some decent literature in there, too). And now I'm off to bed. :)

There's no reason for me to try to explain this to you if you haven't gotten it by now. I cannot make it any clearer than I have, and I've already conceded that it was poorly phrased to begin with

Maybe you just phrase everything poorly?

Thing is, I suspect we fundamentally agree on religion. I just don't think you can articulate your views very well, which is why you feel the need to respond to your detractors the way you do.

Maybe you just phrase everything poorly?

Thing is, I suspect we fundamentally agree on religion. I just don't think you can articulate your views very well, which is why you feel the need to respond to your detractors the way you do.

Or maybe you're just fecking stupid.

I've articulated my views well enough, and I've yet to hear any counter-arguments for it.