Religion, what's the point?

What's wrong with you jake? Can't you really see the difference in his post? He didn't say "the religion calls for violence", he just said if somebody kills for religion then that's it, we should blame the religion!

He didn't say that at all. He said if somebody kills for a religion, then the religion is partially to blame. And in some cases I agree with him.

Whether it's Muslims blowing themselves up to become martyrs or Christians killing people at abortion clinics in America, to claim that religion is in no way responsible is to be willfully ignorant of what motivates people.

I just don't get it. Everything is open to criticism, apart from your religion. When in fact the criticism is very appropriate in some cases.

Nobody denied you your right to criticize. We're actually merely answering your criticism, based on logic, history, and a few facts..

Nobody denied you your right to criticize. We're actually merely answering your criticism, based on logic, history, and a few facts..

There are no facts in your argument. Nor logic.

So religious people just went to violence because everyone else was doing it? How very Godly.

Your understanding is completely wrong. A lot of these terrorist organisations are born out of nationalistic or political issues, and are more secular in their make-up than religious.

I'll try to answer as shortly as I can.

1- When you say Islam pushes for violence, then logically you have to see that Muslims have historically been more violent than other people. The Muslims are not even close to rank the highest among worst "occupiers"/"war starters" in the history. Logically this should make us conclude that Islam didn't really push the people any harder towards violence, it's just that people are violent, whether Muslims or not. (If you can't prove that smoking caused an increase in cancer cases among smokers, you can't really claim that smoking in itself is a co-factor for cancer. In the example I gave I showed you that the worst cases of cancer occurred actually among the "non-Muslims", which goes against your hypothesis.)

No that's not true. The degree of violence depends a lot on what technology was available at the time for instance, on the power of other empires etc... You certainly agree that it is easier to cause more damage with firearms, bombs compared to swords right ? And that it is easier to conquer more territory when your enemy is significantly weaker (say for instance europeans vs native americans/africans). If people are naturally violent, why give them a reason to fight and express their violence ? This is what Islam provided in those days, a reason to hate people that have different views. Then came smart politicians who used instrumentalized this in order to serve other interests. I don't care whether Islam pushed any harder towards violence, what bothers me is that it pushed to violence. I don't compare between violence displayed by different groups. The fact is the "Islam is a religion of peace" speech is flawed. Again, this concerns the original Islamic message that people now distance themselves from without realizing it.

2- I'm not talking about the "Quranists" here who do not use hadith at all in their interpretations/beliefs. Most Muslims do use hadith (even though probably different sources for hadith) to try to understand the Quran, but they all also understand that the only infallible reference in Islam (which if proved fallible then Islam collapses) is the Quran itself. I hope you can recognize the difference. The Quran is for all sects in Islam the highest ranked book in term of infallibility.
Besides the fact that Quran can be attacked and proven to be flawed, I don't see why Muhammad's life would not be also considered as part of the assessment of Islam. He was handpicked by God and is presented as an ideal man worthy of delivering the message of Islam. A careful reading of Muhammad's biography (Ibn Ishaq's for instance) is as important as reading the Quran. Also, there are hadiths which are agreed on by the vast majority of the muslim community so those are also valid. When you start picking which sources to be used for the assessment, you lose some credibility.

3- If the original Islam was against science, can you explain to me how come the Islamic state (even after the death of Mohammad) was very advanced in term of science compared to other states in that era? (In all fields, physics, chemistry, medicine, math, ...etc.)
Again, you are making me say things I did not say. I didn't pretend that Islam was against science but that it contained factual errors. The islamic empire had its golden age same as every other empire. Generally, when you are doing science, you leave your religious beliefs aside. Now, when your findings contradict what your religion says (see the case of Darwin for instance), you start having doubts about its validity. You need to understand that the two fields should be separated. Quran attempted to cross the boundaries and failed. As have failed the other Abrahamic religions. It's as simple as that.
[/quote]

4- Can you mention a single war that Mohammad fought and you think it wasn't justified?

Muhammad died soon after the conquest of Mecca, so he did not have the opportunity to lead major battles. However, the imperialism intention was clear. First of all from the letters sent to several head of states which I exposed in a previous post. Second, from the raids that were done on some of the Arabic tribes in order to force them to join Islam (lead by Khalid-Ibn-AlWalid). Here is an example :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_of_Ukasha_bin_Al-Mihsan_(Udhrah_and_Baliy)
Another example :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_of_Usama_bin_Zayd

5- The point you made is not that "Islam is not an exception". The point you made is that "Islam promotes violence, more than other religions/atheism".

Show me the exact post where I said this.

Your understanding is completely wrong. A lot of these terrorist organisations are born out of nationalistic or political issues, and are more secular in their make-up than religious.

And a lot are purely religious.

What does it matter? When someone murders somebody else for religious reasons, religion is at least partially responsible. Are you claiming otherwise?

What if the religion had nothing to do with his actions? What if he's just nuts, who wants to blame somebody/something else for his crimes?

When I was Jakes age I wanted to change the world. I was convinced I was right. As I age, I now think I need to change.

What if the religion had nothing to do with his actions? What if he's just nuts, who wants to blame somebody/something else for his crimes?

Then he wouldn't be doing it for religious reason, he'd be doing it because he was nuts. Not everyone who commits a murder for religious reasons is a psychopath though, or are we going to pretend that honor killings don't exist?

When I was Jakes age I wanted to change the world. I was convinced I was right. As I age I now think I need to change.

When I was 13 I used to play FIFA instead of Football Manager. What of it? Don't try to condescend me because of my age.

I used it in my arguments in one of my previous posts, read it to understand the context.

It's a ridiculously arbitrary test of wrongdoings, in my lifetime for example the worst single event that has happened has arguably been the 9/11 attacks. Would you think it fair of me to extrapolate from that it's therefore the only thing that we can measure wrongdoings against?

No that's not true. The degree of violence depends a lot on what technology was available at the time for instance, on the power of other empires etc... You certainly agree that it is easier to cause more damage with firearms, bombs compared to swords right ? And that it is easier to conquer more territory when your enemy is significantly weaker (say for instance europeans vs native americans/africans). If people are naturally violent, why give them a reason to fight and express their violence ? This is what Islam provided in those days, a reason to hate people that have different views. Then came smart politicians who used instrumentalized this in order to serve other interests. I don't care whether Islam pushed any harder towards violence, what bothers me is that it pushed to violence. I don't compare between violence displayed by different groups. The fact is the "Islam is a religion of peace" speech is flawed. Again, this concerns the original Islamic message that people now distance themselves from without realizing it.

Besides the fact that Quran can be attacked and proven to be flawed, I don't see why Muhammad's life would not be also considered as part of the assessment of Islam. He was handpicked by God and is presented as an ideal man worthy of delivering the message of Islam. A careful reading of Muhammad's biography (Ibn Ishaq's for instance) is as important as reading the Quran. Also, there are hadiths which are agreed on by the vast majority of the muslim community so those are also valid. When you start picking which sources to be used for the assessment, you lose some credibility.

Again, you are making me say things I did not say. I didn't pretend that Islam was against science but that it contained factual errors. The islamic empire had its golden age same as every other empire. Generally, when you are doing science, you leave your religious beliefs aside. Now, when your findings contradict what your religion says (see the case of Darwin for instance), you start having doubts about its validity. You need to understand that the two fields should be separated. Quran attempted to cross the boundaries and failed. As have failed the other Abrahamic religions. It's as simple as that.

Muhammad died soon after the conquest of Mecca, so he did not have the opportunity to lead major battles. However, the imperialism intention was clear. First of all from the letters sent to several head of states which I exposed in a previous post. Second, from the raids that were done on some of the Arabic tribes in order to force them to join Islam (lead by Khalid-Ibn-AlWalid). Here is an example :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_of_Ukasha_bin_Al-Mihsan_(Udhrah_and_Baliy)
Another example :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_of_Usama_bin_Zayd

Show me the exact post where I said this.

Let me try to get this in a clear (and short) way.. Are you saying that:

1- Islam is not more violent that other religions.
2- Islam is not against science.
3- Do you think that all the battles Muhammad fought were justified?

Indeed, because we're talking about the original "real" Islam, not the "false one" we're trying to pretend to be the real one now.. So it has to be "was" for my argument to be meaningful.

What?

Let me try to get this in a clear (and short) way.. Are you saying that:

1- Islam is not more violent that other religions.
2- Islam is not against science.
3- Do you think that all the battles Muhammad fought were justified?

1- It depends on the power of the people that become passionate about Islam and follow it in its original form
2- Islam does not say : "Kill scientists". However, the Quran contains major factual errors which have been exposed by science. Religions are based on faith which does not mix well with logic and rationality
3 - No I don't think so (I gave you examples). I don't even think the original intention is justified as in "Here I have this new religion so let me impose it on my people because I think it is the true one".

Generally, yeah. The distrust of wikipedia is unwarranted, wikipedia is no less trustworthy than anything else you read, assuming you're not susceptible to what crap is on there.

So Islams been wrong since the 7th century then?

It might give the indication that some things have gone wrong indeed, but that doesn't mean that "Islam has gone wrong".. It means some Muslims might have made wrong decisions.