Religion, what's the point?

This is fecked up.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

603960_10151165760401158_2007671256_n.jpg

This is utterly shocking. How can those individuals call themselves doctors. Would any court of law really punish them if they had attempted to save that woman?

It's all hogwach mystical crap instilled in the human psyche when very few people had adequate IQ

This is an important point.
I think as the psyche develops and we lose our childlike unconsciousness we begin to develop a sense of insecurity and doubt. This inevitably leaves us susceptible to suggestion as the psyche looks to simplify and sooth itself.
It was C.Jung that said ' The biblical fall of man presents the dawn of consciousness as a curse'. The popularity of the Abrahamic religions I feel is more to do with their availability and linear similarity, rather than providing any real definite source of stability to our ever expanding and questioning psyche.
Unfortunately until we are able to face our immortality and the multitude of insecurities consciousness creates, religion will be our collective dose of Xanax.

Well, only The Epic of Gilgamesh's writer'd know. But of course the Bible's authors would never plagiarise.

But Noah and Utnapishtim isn't the same name, so it must not be the same story.

Anyway, I think that the story has to do something with The Black Sea so probably has a base. Of course the all animals being saved by him cannot be true.

Well for instance in the example of the Quran, it says at one point to hunt down and kill infidels wherever they are found. At another point it says if you kill one person it is as if you've killed all of humanity. So here then we are told a thing is good, and bad at the same time. So what is a Muslim supposed to make of this?

Imo there are many different interpretations of these seemingly absolute rules. You can of course just pick one (see Al qaeda) or the other. You can say these are contradictory statements and thus clearly not divine, and disregard the religion. You can say these commands came in different contexts, and it is the situation that defines which to follow. My point here is that within a seemingly absolute or unchanging maxim there can be many different meanings. It is all based on the individual.
Islam probihits the killing of innocent human beings, whether muslim, or non-muslim. Here's a little more on it by a much more learned man.
If you would really try to learn the truth, things would be much more clearer.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20121115_12_A11_CUTLIN265206

Muskogee Country, Oklahoma.

17-year-old Tyler Alred, involved in an alcohol-related car crash which killed his teenage friend, has been convicted of manslaughter and received a deferred sentence of 10 years.

Also, per the sentence handed out by Muskogee County District Judge Mike Norman, Alred is required to...attend church.

It's a horrible and tragic story, the kind that destroys lives, made even worse by the blatant violation of church/state separation and an interjection of a religious agenda into a scenario which demands real-world solutions.

Attending church on Sunday for 10 years was one of the conditions placed on the teenager's probation. Defense attorney Donn Baker said that although the church requirement is unusual, it is not something he intends to challenge. "My client goes to church every Sunday," Baker said. "That isn't going to be a problem for him. We certainly want the probation."

Brilliant :rolleyes:

That is absolutely in no way a legal ruling regardless if the individual agrees to attend church services.

Does the ACLU have any recourse in this without a complaint?

I know FFRF cannot do anything without a complaint.

I am concerned that a lot of people I knew from school have joined this 'Pentecostal' version of Christianity where they feel the need to constantly ram beliefs down people's throats and all my social networking feeds are now full of bible quotes.

I find it concerning that this branch seems to be in the business of brainwashing young people by organising large music festivals which they get sane people to go to with their already nutjob friends putting them under massive pressure with barrages of propaganda about things that are morally wrong and constant assertions of hell and how you are going there if you don't join there church. Seems a very shady organisation to me.

Islam probihits the killing of innocent human beings, whether muslim, or non-muslim. Here's a little more on it by a much more learned man.

What he explained is exactly my point omar. If a book is written that is meant to be guidance for all mankind through the entire timeline of the human species, it must by necessity be contradictory as it will mean different things to different people at different times and in different situations.

Context is everything.

LOL.
Learned Man?
This guy? really?
Have you ever heard Zakir Naik speak? He makes stuff up as he speaks.

Never understood it myself. The irony is that its pretty unIslamic.

If people wish to hurt themselves than I suppose its their choice, I just find it angering when they subject that sort of treatment to toddlers and babies as if its some kind of blessing.

I always associated this sort of silliness with some forms of fundamental Christianity who like enacting the crucification and associated oddness.

I always associated this sort of silliness with some forms of fundamental Christianity who like enacting the crucification and associated oddness.

That's essentially what it is except swap Jesus for Imam Hussein, and the crucifix for...well any dangerous sharp or blunt object you can get your hands on.

I've actually been to quite a few of those sermons in Iran, Iraq and Lebanon...theyre actually frightening. What makes it all the more unsettling is that people go home in the end going about doing their routinely business as if nothings happened...all while having horrific lash marks, deep cuts and their white cloths completely painted red in their own blood.

That's essentially what it is except swap Jesus for Imam Hussein, and the crucifix for...well any dangerous sharp or blunt object you can get your hands on.

I've actually been to quite a few of those sermons in Iran, Iraq and Lebanon...theyre actually frightening. What makes it all the more unsettling is that people go home in the end going about doing their routinely business as if nothings happened...all while having horrific lash marks, deep cuts and their white cloths completely painted red in their own blood.

:nervous:

Just a little baravado, with a natural human propensity for masochism. Jackass with a prayer mat.

LOL.
Learned Man?
This guy? really?
Have you ever heard Zakir Naik speak? He makes stuff up as he speaks.

Yes, he is more learned in comparative religion, than me, and you(unless you yourself have studied religions in very much detail)

I am not knowledgable enough to comment on that. Some of them aren't errors and just put to increase the number, while some are just different pronounciations, and some english errors. He might have made some mistakes i do not know.
I'd pass my judgement if i had knowledge on that. But unfortunately i don't.

Yes, he is more learned in comparative religion, than me, and you(unless you yourself have studied religions in very much detail)

I am not knowledgable enough to comment on that. Some of them aren't errors and just put to increase the number, while some are just different pronounciations, and some english errors. He might have made some mistakes i do not know.
I'd pass my judgement if i had knowledge on that. But unfortunately i don't.

He denies evolution..
Need I say more ?

After watching a series with my girlfriend, I was shocked to see how some Christians in the United States really are completely crazy. I have included a clip from a series where a Christian woman goes to another families house, but the family she is staying with are pagans and worship the sun and celebrate the summer solstice etc.

The one thing I was happy to see, was seeing the Pagans actually excercising some sort of flexibility by accepting to do grace for the meal they were about to eat, for this, the woman was grateful. On the otherhand, when it came to accepting the Pagans and joining in on the fete for the summer solstice, she tried to stay but didn't and she never accepted them for what they are. Many people go on about extremism only existing in Islam, which is true, however this video shows how extreme some Christians can be in their beliefs.