Reece James

He was only 'rested' when he came off last Sunday. I wouldn't read too much into those reports. Keita and Thiago were always 'weeks away' from returning for the past few years.

I mean you could be right. I'm relieved we were proactive in signing Gusto. I did read somewhere that it wasn't anything that happened in the game though. He got injured in training.

It's all a load of nonsense about this weight. He's not 200lbs, not even close.

Just wide across the chest and a strong build which gives an appearence but he won't be all that heavy. It's not from benching all day anyway, it's his natural, lean build even after the conditioning requirements of a PL football (which he doesn't have an issue with), so you're going to struggle to slim him down and retain the same athlete.

Michael Owen was like a whippet and his hamstring went walking down the stairs. It's genetic propensity.

There's no way he's carrying more weight around than guys like Luke Shaw or Denzel Dumfries, neither of which have any recurring injury issues. Adama Traore is actually built like an NFL running back and doesn't have too many injury problems either.

There will just be something unfortunate in his genetics/biomechanics that is causing the problem.
I’m not sure. James is a pretty beefed up unit. I would guess he’s definitely heavier and bulkier than the names you’ve mentioned. It’s not normal for full backs to be big units as they generally require quick change of movements with agility. James certainly doesn’t have the ideal physique for that position.

Just wide across the chest and a strong build which gives an appearence but he won't be all that heavy. It's not from benching all day anyway, it's his natural, lean build even after the conditioning requirements of a PL football (which he doesn't have an issue with), so you're going to struggle to slim him down and retain the same athlete.

Michael Owen was like a whippet and his hamstring went walking down the stairs. It's genetic propensity.
I mean his frame can be a bit leaner to help him maintain the whole season without a lot of injuries and could improve him in terms of the range of motion and flexibility. I mean Ronaldo during 2009-2010 when he bulked up too much also faced some injuries, and Kompany is another one in this case as someone noticed that he built too much muscle. Anyway, everybody has different types of bodies and frames.

Shame that the guy is a crock. Looked like he could be the best RWB in the world, but these injuries will take their toll on him.

Massive blow for the future of England.

George Elokobi was a tank, can't remember him being injured much, just a below average fullback.

Some players are just injury prone, regardless of weight.

Think Chelsea should let him go. Jack Wilshere at Arsenal vibes.

Shame that the guy is a crock. Looked like he could be the best RWB in the world, but these injuries will take their toll on him.

Massive blow for the future of England.
We still got Alexander-Arnold.

His sister weighed in at 174… for purposes of scale.

If only we had a specific study of genetic markers and their effect on elite soccer players … oh, wait… we do: the NIH has several studies on record for the issue, one specifically entitled “Genetic variants and Hamstring injuries in soccer: an association and validation study”

It found that while some of the markers they Suspected could be relevant showed up in 5 of the 107 subjects, they did not find any validation that hamstring injuries were “just something some people have” or that the genetic markers were involved in those injuries outside of other factors in consideration of the study.

A series of factors related to diet, type of training, poor treatment protocol on previous injuries, and overtraining were more likely to be common factors in initial and recurring hamstring injuries.

They need to hold him out. They need to make absolutely sure surgery isnt the best route: if it’s “you could go either way” … then the long term fix should be the option . Than they should downright babysit his recovery. Then they need to completely tailor his routines.

I had never heard the story about England camp back when he was healthy before now. Apparently Harry Kane and a few others were doing some VERY basic yoga poses, and Reece couldn’t come close to doing them, to the point it was a comical memory for everyone.

His sister weighed in at 174… for purposes of scale.

If only we had a specific study of genetic markers and their effect on elite soccer players … oh, wait… we do: the NIH has several studies on record for the issue, one specifically entitled “Genetic variants and Hamstring injuries in soccer: an association and validation study”

It found that while some of the markers they Suspected could be relevant showed up in 5 of the 107 subjects, they did not find any validation that hamstring injuries were “just something some people have” or that the genetic markers were involved in those injuries outside of other factors in consideration of the study.

A series of factors related to diet, type of training, poor treatment protocol on previous injuries, and overtraining were more likely to be common factors in initial and recurring hamstring injuries.

They need to hold him out. They need to make absolutely sure surgery isnt the best route: if it’s “you could go either way” … then the long term fix should be the option . Than they should downright babysit his recovery. Then they need to completely tailor his routines.

I had never heard the story about England camp back when he was healthy before now. Apparently Harry Kane and a few others were doing some VERY basic yoga poses, and Reece couldn’t come close to doing them, to the point it was a comical memory for everyone.

Oh my god. As someone who has a PhD in biology (specifically microbiology, immunology, & inflammation), please refrain from posting anything definitive like this ever again. The extent to which you are extrapolating conclusions based on a fairly simple study is hurting my brain.

Sell him to us, we’ll take care of him :p

Who made him club captain? Guy is a liability. It's like if United had made Phil Jones the captain.

More overreactions. He played well. Second yellow was barely even a foul. Gordon totally sold it to the ref.

More overreactions. He played well. Second yellow was barely even a foul. Gordon totally sold it to the ref.

Once you've given the ball away in that position and the attacker is goal side, your options are basically to let him go or take the yellow.

Any forward in the league is chucking themselves over as soon as they get touched in that situation, and it's always going to be a card.

I know it's deemed a yellow now, but there's no way the touch was enough to send Gordon flying. I hate that we accept stuff like that as part of the game.

I know it's deemed a yellow now, but there's no way the touch was enough to send Gordon flying. I hate that we accept stuff like that as part of the game.

James’ pinky finger might have slightly brushed Gordon’s shirt. Don’t think it was a foul but obviously once you give it it will be deemed a cynical foul attempting to stop a break away, so he has to give the yellow.

Can’t get into any sort of contact chasing behind a player like that. It’s always a foul and defenders themselves buy it every week.

Anthony Gordon might be the premier diver in the entire league right now - but doesn't get anywhere near the negative publicity that he should

Once you've given the ball away in that position and the attacker is goal side, your options are basically to let him go or take the yellow.

Any forward in the league is chucking themselves over as soon as they get touched in that situation, and it's always going to be a card.

That doesn’t make it a foul though, much less a yellow card. It was a clear dive by Gordon. The game was lost anyway, so I’m not arguing it had some huge impact on the game but it’s still a bullshit sending off.

That doesn’t make it a foul though, much less a yellow card. It was a clear dive by Gordon. The game was lost anyway, so I’m not arguing it had some huge impact on the game but it’s still a bullshit sending off.
It's a stonewall second yellow. There's no doubt, look at James's reaction, he knew straight away.

James for me looks miles off pace, he looks heavy, slow and cumbersome. Needs a lot of game time to get back to his best, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Yeah it reminds of the defenders who are boxed in near the corner flag. They always fling themselves to the floor at the slightest touch to buy a cheap foul and the refs always fall for it.

It's a stonewall second yellow. There's no doubt, look at James's reaction, he knew straight away.

James for me looks miles off pace, he looks heavy, slow and cumbersome. Needs a lot of game time to get back to his best, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I’m sorry but I disagree. He didn’t even touch him. He may have briefly brushed his shirt but that was it. There was nothing James did that made Gordon fling himself to the floor, other than wanting to con the ref into sending James off. Stonewall is Kovacic vs Odegaard and Rice.

James knew it was second yellow because the ref blew for the foul, he obviously knows if he’s been judged to have fouled him in that position, he won’t escape the booking.

I’m sorry but I disagree. He didn’t even touch him. He may have briefly brushed his shirt but that was it. There was nothing James did that made Gordon fling himself to the floor, other than wanting to con the ref into sending James off. Stonewall is Kovacic vs Odegaard and Rice.

James knew it was second yellow because the ref blew for the foul, he obviously knows if he’s been judged to have fouled him in that position, he won’t escape the booking.
It's a foul and a yellow, it's really simple.

There was contact, minimal but similar to Sterlings free kick/Trippier yellow.

It's a foul and a yellow, it's really simple.

There was contact, minimal but similar to Sterlings free kick/Trippier yellow.

There being contact is irrelevant though. We’re talking about if there was enough contact to commit a foul. I don’t think there was. The only thing that got James sent off was Gordon conning the ref.

There being contact is irrelevant though. We’re talking about if there was enough contact to commit a foul. I don’t think there was. The only thing that got James sent off was Gordon conning the ref.
You couldn't be more wrong!
But in this case there was contact, so your point is irrelevant.

Horse's mouth says it was a red card. No idea why the fans feel the need to argue it wasn't.

I don’t care what he says. I saw it with my own eyes :lol:

Stonewall yellows both. It really is simple!

Don't know how a light brush on the shoulder causes ones' legs to completely fail biomechanically? Neither Trippier nor James exerted significant force on the opposition player; I genuinely do not think either are even fouls let alone yellows. Especially if the standard is Alvarez pulling down Salah when Liverpool were countering and not getting a booking?

Don't know how a light brush on the shoulder causes ones' legs to completely fail biomechanically? Neither Trippier nor James exerted significant force on the opposition player; I genuinely do not think either are even fouls let alone yellows. Especially if the standard is Alvarez pulling down Salah when Liverpool were countering and not getting a booking?
Are you implying that there's a lack of consistency in decision making from referees?! :eek:

I've just watched it and he's an idiot. Its a bit soft but who does that when they know they're on a yellow? He should have gone off the other week for that utterly idiotic elbow vs Tottenham as well, which lucky for him got lost in the midst of the Tottenham discipline meltdown. Plus he's already had a ban this season for having a baby fit after you lost a game.

I used to think it was possible for footballers to be so stupid it negated their talent to a degree, then Grealish started making me doubt that, due to being quite astonishingly dumb yet also a sly little cheat of a footballer. Thankfully James is slowly restoring my faith in this theory.

I've just watched it and he's an idiot. Its a bit soft but who does that when they know they're on a yellow? He should have gone off the other week for that utterly idiotic elbow vs Tottenham as well, which lucky for him got lost in the midst of the Tottenham discipline meltdown. Plus he's already had a ban this season for having a baby fit after you lost a game.

I used to think it was possible for footballers to be so stupid it negated their talent to a degree, then Grealish started making me doubt that, due to being quite astonishingly dumb yet also a sly little cheat of a footballer. Thankfully James is slowly restoring my faith in this theory.
Ah, but he’s got football intelligence.

I don’t believe he did anything wrong after losing the ball. It’s less than soft. It was nothing. The ref was conned. He definitely got lucky vs Tottenham though, but I don’t believe it was deliberate but definitely reckless.

The way the reffing is these days, it's probably best to sub a player as soon as he gets a yellow.