Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 9)

The original - another poster had it on their list. I haven't seen the Chiwetel Ejiofor remake, though I know people who thoroughly enjoyed it (they haven't seen the original, mind you).

I forgot about Drive and Gone Baby Gone, another two films which would certainly make my honourable mentions list. Ben Affleck's The Town and Argo are good thrillers too - the later in particular ramps up the tension brilliantly towards the end.

Black Swan
Blood Simple
Donnie Darko
No Country For Old Men
Winter's Bone

North by Northwest
Old Boy
Mulholland Drive
Burning or Parasite
Coup de Torchon or Memories of Murder

Hm: only god forgives, I saw the devil, coin locker girl, inherent vice, to live and die in la, and multiple Hitchcock and Villanueve films

1. North by Northwest
  2. Oldboy
  3. Rashomon
  4. Mulholland Drive
  5. Parasite
I'll probably need to change this again as I forgot a few that count as thrillers

On the bubble: No Country for Old Men (really should be a western but may slip it back in here, love the novel), Nocturnal Animals (one of my favorites of the last 15 years and just brilliant, one of the few movies that is better than the novel), Inherent Vice (excellent adaptation of impossible to really adapt Pynchon), Vertigo and Rear Window (true classics of the genre and worthy choices), Burning (one of my favorites but I feel it's just a little below some others), Coup de Torchon (an absolute French classic and also a great novel but it has no chance of going through so it gets pushed out for one of my other category picks that didn't make it), Only God Forgives and I Saw the Devil (both outstanding but I feel Oldboy represents that type of thriller here)
Forgot about Run Lola Run too, another fantastic film.

@Dirty Schwein In hindsight we should have had the option to instead of ranking 5, just naming 5 and they all get equal points (6).

Last edited:
  1. North by Northwest
  2. Oldboy
  3. Rashomon
  4. Mulholland Drive
  5. Parasite
I'll probably need to change this again as I forgot a few that count as thrillers

On the bubble: No Country for Old Men (really should be a western but may slip it back in here, love the novel), Nocturnal Animals (one of my favorites of the last 15 years and just brilliant, one of the few movies that is better than the novel), Inherent Vice (excellent adaptation of impossible to really adapt Pynchon), Vertigo and Rear Window (true classics of the genre and worthy choices), Burning (one of my favorites but I feel it's just a little below some others), Coup de Torchon (an absolute French classic and also a great novel but it has no chance of going through so it gets pushed out for one of my other category picks that didn't make it), Only God Forgives and I Saw the Devil (both outstanding but I feel Oldboy represents that type of thriller here)

@Dirty Schwein In hindsight we should have had the option to instead of ranking 5, just naming 5 and they all get equal points (6).
Oh, right, No Country for Old Men didn’t make it. I might have to change this vote tactically if it’s close to getting through.

feck!! I was just going through and sorting out a few things and realised that if it wasn't for Crouching Tiger, Con Air would have made the resurrection bonus round... right everyone MUST vote for Crouching Tiger as an "experimental film" in the next round :lol:

feck!! I was just going through and sorting out a few things and realised that if it wasn't for Crouching Tiger, Con Air would have made the resurrection bonus round... right everyone MUST vote for Crouching Tiger as an "experimental film" in the next round :lol:
Did you just add that? I swear it didn't say "experimental" earlier. Honestly I thought combining animation and musical was already a bit much.

Did you just add that? I swear it didn't say "experimental" earlier. Honestly I thought combining animation and musical was already a bit much.
I think a few people here requested Experimental so thought to add it in a few days ago. I doubt there will be many (if any) that get through.

I think a few people here requested Experimental so thought to add it in a few days ago. I doubt there will be many (if any) that get through.

Round 10 - Animation, Musicals & Experimental

That's just taking the piss! :lol:
Should have put in the effort and add another round! Lazy Pig. And where is the silent movies categories btw.? "Missed that too?", right?

:angel:

1. Get out
2. Joker
3. Parasite
4. Gone Girl
5. OldBoy (Korean)

1. Seven
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. The Fugitive
4. In the Heat of the Night
5. Fallen

Round 10 - Animation, Musicals & Experimental

That's just taking the piss! :lol:
Should have put in the effort and add another round! Lazy Pig. And where is the silent movies categories btw.? "Missed that too?", right?

:angel:
I actually wouldn't mind adding another round but I wanna finish this before the new year!

Silence of the Lambs
Marathon Man
Fatal Attraction
Three Days of the Condor
No Way Out

1. Dogville
2. M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
3. Woman in the Dunes
4. A Man Escaped
5. Touch of Evil

So Christopher Nolan is going to have 2 films in the final round and there will be no films by Andrei Tarkovsky.

1884475.jpg
:lol:

1. The Night Comes For Us
2. The Raid
3. Flash Point
4. Fatal Attraction
5. Single White Female