Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 9)

Wow Aliens is easily one of the best sci fi films ever and didnt even make it.

1. Shutter Island
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. Seven
4. Parasite
5. Sicario

Cheers.

This forum here is like an open sewer, you know, it's full of filth and scum. Sometimes I can hardly take it.
I don't think you'd get Tarkovsky movies making the cut in a popularity vote on any forum, unless it's a dedicated movie forum. That's just how it is.

Cheers.

This forum here is like an open sewer, you know, it's full of filth and scum. Sometimes I can hardly take it.

A Marvel film made it too.

Marvel > Tarkovsky

EHBqWdtUcAA7JGN.jpg

Can't believe Interstellar beat out 2001, that's a crime against Sci-Fi.

1. Seven
2. The Prestige
3. No Country For Old Men
4. Silence Of The Lambs
5. Shutter Island

Really good list. I tried to watch 2001 but after 2 hours of the apes jumping around, I turned it off. I'll have to give it another try sometime.

Really good list. I tried to watch 2001 but after 2 hours of the apes jumping around, I turned it off. I'll have to give it another try sometime.
:lol:, it's actually a really great scene IMO, one of the great introductions to a film hands down. Definitely give it another chance; the way it transitions from that scene into the present day is just brilliant filmmaking. Kubrick was a genius.

So Christopher Nolan is going to have 2 films in the final round and there will be no films by Andrei Tarkovsky.

1884475.jpg
Actually, there are 3 Nolan films! And a Marvel film too! :D
There's a KO round where we will cut it from 60 to 30 so there's a chance they'll all get scrapped by superior films.
Cheers.

:lol:

1. Shutter Island
2. Parasite
3. Layer Cake
4. Memento
5. The Machinist

I don't think you'd get Tarkovsky movies making the cut in a popularity vote on any forum, unless it's a dedicated movie forum. That's just how it is.
True. The guy wasn’t popular even in the Soviet Union(who as a people had far better taste in films)

Still the current finalist list is looking like picking the Waitrose meal deal as the worlds best dish.

Last edited:
True. The guy wasn’t popular even in the Soviet Union(who as a people had far better taste in films)

Still the current finalist list is looking like picking the Waitrose meal deal as the worlds best dish.

This nerd
Yeah but the whole thing is about people's favourite films as opposed to the best films? Surely with that stipulation, it was always going to be a list like the IMDb one?

Yeah but the whole thing is about people's favourite films as opposed to the best films? Surely with that stipulation, it was always going to be a list like the IMDb one?

Yeah, if you ask random people on the street if they've seen Battleship Potemkin or Stalker and don't give up until you find someone, then you risk standing there for a while. And when you do find someone there's a high chance it's a former film student who had to watch it as a part of their curriculum. To find someone who's not only seen such films, but also enjoyed them to the point where it's their favorite film? Yeah, that's gonna be tough.

The entries so far are way closer to IMDb Top 250 than Sight and Sound Top 100.

But all my favourite films are also the best films!

Your right although I was kind of hoping because it was favourites, the answers would be a little bit different. Tbh I can’t complain too much as it’s a miracle that Children Of Men made it in the top 5.

Yet Dirty Schwein was using our shitty voting behavior as proof why Nic Cage > Bruce Lee. Not adding up!

Your right although I was kind of hoping because it was favourites, the answers would be a little bit different.

I'm putting in my personal favs (with a bit flavor of the month of course) fully knowing there are objectively much better movies around. I also voted for Tarkovsky at least 1-2.

Your right although I was kind of hoping because it was favourites, the answers would be a little bit different. Tbh I can’t complain too much as it’s a miracle that Children Of Men made it in the top 5.
And that's why I'm confused when I see like Primer as someone's top 5 but no Predator...

Yet Dirty Schwein was using our shitty voting behavior as proof why Nic Cage > Bruce Lee. Not adding up!
House many Oscars does Bruce Lee have? Exactly.

:lol:, it's actually a really great scene IMO, one of the great introductions to a film hands down. Definitely give it another chance; the way it transitions from that scene into the present day is just brilliant filmmaking. Kubrick was a genius.
He was the best. Tarkovsky being a close second.

Yeah, if you ask random people on the street if they've seen Battleship Potemkin or Stalker and don't give up until you find someone, then you risk standing there for a while. And when you do find someone there's a high chance it's a former film student who had to watch it as a part of their curriculum. To find someone who's not only seen such films, but also enjoyed them to the point where it's their favorite film? Yeah, that's gonna be tough.

The entries so far are way closer to IMDb Top 250 than Sight and Sound Top 100.
Just had a look. feck that list, give me IMDb top 250 any day :lol:

And that's why I'm confused when I see like Primer as someone's top 5 but no Predator...

House many Oscars does Bruce Lee have? Exactly.
He died a little bit too early for that I'm afraid. Also I hope Nick Cage didn't receive his Oscar for ConAir, Face Off or The Rock (wouldn't put it past the jury though) which was our discussion in case you forgot. I'm putting as much trust into Oscar nomination list as in our Caf Lists, which is a compliment and diss at the same time!

Last edited:
A really hard category. I think I'll go with this:

1. Three Colors: Red
2. Chinatown
3. The Lives of Others
4. Rear Window
5. Parasite

Which sadly leaves out films like La chute de l'empire américain, 7even, Nope, and The Usual Suspects. But eh!
Same. Prisoners, Sicario, Dune, Blade Runner: 2049, Arrival. So many great films. Even Enemy, while probably a bit heavy on the symbolism for my taste, was quite a well-crafted movie.
And Incednies! Not as spectacular as the others, but the usual great cinematography and for once a really gripping and emotional story. (My main issue with Villeneuve is that his films feel too sterile, both narratively and in the cleanness of his shots and camera movement.)

Those kind eyes.
No spoilers, please!

Never been a fan of him but watched Gigolo because of the Moroder score and the fashion theme and became an instant fan of Gere! May be the only film I saw of him as well.

LA Confidential is a good one! I personally have a soft spot for American Gigolo, mostly the style, score and of course Richard Gere.
For Gere I’d pick An Officer and a Gentleman or The Jackal.

DS combined the votes for both Solarises and it still didn't make it through :(
Yes I did because some people didn't specify which one and I couldn't be bothered to ask every voter... Didn't matter in the end.
There should be a Nolan joker card that lets DS swap out one Nolan film for another.

i.e. swap out Interstellar for Dunkirk. Or Memento if it doesnt get through here.
Interstellar would go and Memento would come in. Love the latter ..

This is the first time I don't feel embarrassed by my own list and only the top film from my list got votes from other people :wenger:

1. Fight Club
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Oldboy (Korean)
4. American Psycho
5. Taxi Driver

And Incednies! Not as spectacular as the others, but the usual great cinematography and for once a really gripping and emotional story. (My main issue with Villeneuve is that his films feel too sterile, both narratively and in the cleanness of his shots and camera movement.)

Maybe that goes for his sci-fi movies, but Prisoners and Sicario had great characters and stories, in my opinion. Both felt very real.

This guy is playing FAST and LOOSE with the rules. Who does he think he is, Castor Troy?
Glad more people are seeing it now. It's all a sham and AirCon will win it and we'll ask ourselves how we could have let that happen.

Maybe that goes for his sci-fi movies, but Prisoners and Sicario had great characters and stories, in my opinion. Both felt very real.
I haven't seen Prisoners yet (on my list!), but I wasn't that fond of Sicario myself. Extremely well shot but narratively it just didn't work for me.