Redcafe Top 100 Movies: this time we're going to pull it off, honestly

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
You might already be familiar with this @Peyroteo but there's a documentary on the making of Happy Together with lots of deleted scenes from the movie.

I knew of its existence but I've never watched it and I had forgotten about it. I'll rewatch the movie and watch the documentary when my christmas holidays start. Thanks!

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I don't know why I picked your list in particular, but I needed an example so..... What I find fascinating is the huge variety in people's tastes etc., and exposure to films. I love films, mainly as escapism, and I think my list reflects that. Was never an intellectual pursuit for me. Other stimuli fills that need. So, at the risk of exposing myself as a celluloid ignoramus, here is what I thought of your list:

:lol: WTF. I can't believe I haven't even heard of most of these films. I saw you have a few Spanish language ones on there. Have you seen El Secretyo de Sus Ojos? Incredible film IMO.
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. I realize for most, cinema is escapism or diversion or what have you. For me for the last 30 years it's been a poetic/intellectual pursuit. For good or for bad, I can't sit through a "normal" movie anymore. I saw the last Stars Wars movie with my son and I was absolutely appalled at the poor writing, acting and directing and was shushed for groaning and making scoffing noises. I could´t believe how terrible Harry Ford and his character were, as with everyone else. But yeah, I one of those annoying cnuts. To each his own.

As for El Secreto de Sus Ojos, I liked it, but would´t have put it on my list. I do think Argentina probably has the best cinema going in South America.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I knew of its existence but I've never watched it and I had forgotten about it. I'll rewatch the movie and watch the documentary when my christmas holidays start. Thanks!
This is my nightstand lamp btw (it's not Iguazu falls but it's close enough):

Have you seen Happy Together btw @Nobby style ? I got into a drunken conversation about movies with an Argentinian once and he said it was the best depiction of Buenos Aires he's seen on film.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
That amazement the casual movie watcher often gets at lists like these, "Preposterous, how can there be so many I haven't heard of??". You don't really get that other mediums, like literature for an example, if there were a top 100 with books it's more "fair enough, I'm not really that well read". I guess it has something to do with how universal the medium is.

MoskvaRed

That amazement the casual movie watcher often gets at lists like these, "Preposterous, how can there be so many I haven't heard of??". You don't really get that other mediums, like literature for an example, if there were a top 100 with books it's more "fair enough, I'm not really that well read". I guess it has something to do with how universal the medium is.
Very much so, the visual aspect is universal and it's a lot easier to subtitle a film than translate a novel. Most top 100 novel lists are the really the top 100 novels written in the 5 biggest European languages.

I have to admit I have not heard of around a quarter of @Nobby style 's list. It's definitely includes the most obscure entries of the lists I've seen on this thread. More films to check out I suppose rather than seeing the "classics" listed again.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Well, it seems the quality of DVDs from Hong Kong is...variable.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I watched the film The Tarnished Angels the other day, it wasn't really that great but it had the usual Douglas Sirk touch of stylish and self conscious soapiness. I think he's a master and I put Written on the Wind, his magnum opus on my list. Ebert who I normally think is pretty meh summarized it and Sirk pretty well.

To appreciate a film like Written on the Wind probably takes more sophistication than to understand one of Ingmar Bergman's masterpieces, because Bergman's themes are visible and underlined, while with Sirk the style conceals the message. His interiors are wildly over the top, and his exteriors are phony - he wants you to notice the artifice, to see that he's not using realism but an exaggerated Hollywood studio style . . . Films like this are both above and below middle-brow taste. If you only see the surface, it's trashy soap opera. If you can see the style, the absurdity, the exaggeration and the satirical humor, it's subversive of all the 1950s dramas that handled such material solemnly. William Inge and Tennessee Williams were taken with great seriousness during the decade, but Sirk kids their Freudian hysteria."

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I remember watching All that Heaven Allows and thinking how it's reputation as a weepy melodrama belied it's bleak and painful core. That could be on my list.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
His films are just ripe with delish subtexts, especially those starring Rock Hudson.

The scene where Dorothy Malone is standing by the lake and wistfully reminiscing is where things like Twin Peaks can be traced back to.