Redcafe Top 100 Movies: this time we're going to pull it off, honestly

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Bertolucci has clarified that the violence was in the script but that the use of butter wasn't. It's a pretty sad story all around though.

I'm kinda annoyed at people like Chris Evans tweeting about it, who's never seen the film or probably any arthouse film ever.
Has Evans seen the film or not? His one tweet was that he would never look at it or the director the same way AGAIN.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Kinda weird how all that controversy has blown up again.
Yeah, I saw that about the whole unscripted butter/bum schtick. Also knew that Marie Schneider was a bit psychologically fooked up following that role. I still believe that 70s cinema manifested some sort of hangover affects from the 60s and some directors and writers went to some pretty dark places in their art, and as we see, Bertolucci, genius as he his, is guilty of this, pushed the envelope too far with some misguided macho ego bullshit.

Feel sort of guilty having the movie as my number one, but placed it there due to its long lasting impact its had over me since I saw it over 30 years ago, stronger than any other film I´ve seen since. And it still holds up. Definitely not for everyone, but maybe being such a product of the 70s probably carries some weight. Coincidentally enough, I was buddies with Samantha Gailey, in the same theater group in junior high, the one raped by Polanski, which still weirds me out to this day.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It's very Ozu-ish, even has Setsuko Hara as the lead. Woman living with her husband and parents-in-law, her husband is a cheating bumhole and the only connection she has is with the father-in-law, who is himself increasingly depressed about his family and work life. 30 might be a bit high for it but I'm high on post-war Japanese cinema right now.

I'd say I didn't recognise a solid two thirds of your list :lol:
That does sound really Ozu-ish.

I might be two or three levels of film buffness above you.
Yeah, I saw that about the whole unscripted butter/bum schtick. Also knew that Marie Schneider was a bit psychologically fooked up following that role. I still believe that 70s cinema manifested some sort of hangover affects from the 60s and some directors and writers went to some pretty dark places in their art, and as we see, Bertolucci, genius as he his, is guilty of this, pushed the envelope too far with some misguided macho ego bullshit.

Feel sort of guilty having the movie as my number one, but placed it there due to its long lasting impact its had over me since I saw it over 30 years ago, stronger than any other film I´ve seen since. And it still holds up. Definitely not for everyone, but maybe being such a product of the 70s probably carries some weight. Coincidentally enough, I was buddies with Samantha Gailey, in the same theater group in junior high, the one raped by Polanski, which still weirds me out to this day.
Knowing the story on beforehand, it kinda hindered my enjoyment of the film a bit.

I'll never have the time to do this Nilssy, wouldn't even know where to start. I don't think I've even watched a film at home in 3 months. And I lost all my street cred when I failed to finish Mulholland Drive.
You should find solace in the beautiful world of cinema in these troubled times.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Kick it off with Mulholland Drive! I don't think you'd even got to the weirdness yet.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
But do you give your full undivided attention to the film?
Normally - I can't watch films (or anything) just "in the background" anymore, even though I used to all the time. Not sure if it's just a sign that my brains getting older and slower.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Although this does shatter my image of Nilsson as a Lisbeth Salander-like character, living in a sparse apartment with only a mattress to sleep on, constantly plugged into his laptop while waif-ish young women naked from the waist down walk about drinking milk straight from the carton.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Although this does shatter my image of Nilsson as a Lisbeth Salander-like character, living in a sparse apartment with only a mattress to sleep on, constantly plugged into his laptop while waif-ish young women naked from the waist down walk about drinking milk straight from the carton.
I've had periods like that too.

Ubik

I just got round to watching In the Mood for Love on the back of this thread. My my.

Ubik

Next step should be Chungking Express and you'll be a WKW-ite in no time.
Got 2046 ordered as I developed a slight obsession with Maggie Cheung during the film.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Bah!

You probably didn't even watch IntMfL before seeing it.

I reckon you'd be more receptive towards WKW now than ever, as the desperation of the characters in his films should now be more appealing to you.
I saw In the mood before 2046. I didn't love In the mood, but I can understand the appeal. 2046 I just found incredibly tedious.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Chungking Express was much more fun than both. Everyone should watch (and love) that film.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Days of Being Wild, In the mood for love and 2046 are a loose trilogy and should preferably be watched in that order, although I guess changing the first two wouldn't be that bad. If I watched 2046 as the first or second of his movies, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did.

Ubik

Days of Being Wild, In the mood for love and 2046 are a loose trilogy and should preferably be watched in that order, although I guess changing the first two wouldn't be that bad. If I watched 2046 as the first or second of his movies, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did.
Oh so Days of Being Wild is the same Maggie Cheung character? Okay, I'll delay on 2046 for now. I'll rent DoBW and Chungking by the end of the week (somewhat awkwardly have Triumph of the Will arriving next :nervous:).

What are the other recommended WKW ones? Happy Together? Less of the recent stuff?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Not the same character, I just think that 2046 is best watched later. It's a bit more dense (not sure that's the right word) and I see it as a bit of a reflection on his other movies so it's good to have some context.

Those 3 (Days, ITMFL and 2046) + Happy Together, Chungking Express and Fallen Angels are superb.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't know why I picked your list in particular, but I needed an example so..... What I find fascinating is the huge variety in people's tastes etc., and exposure to films. I love films, mainly as escapism, and I think my list reflects that. Was never an intellectual pursuit for me. Other stimuli fills that need. So, at the risk of exposing myself as a celluloid ignoramus, here is what I thought of your list:

1. Last Tango in Paris - SEEN IT. GOOD.
2. The Silence (Mohsen Malkmalbaf) - NEVER HEARD OF IT
3. Blue Velvet - NEVER HEARD OF IT
4. Come and See - NEVER HEARD OF IT
5. Gummo - NEVER HEARD OF IT
6. Hukkle - NEVER HEARD OF IT
7. The Idiots - NEVER HEARD OF IT
8. Happiness - NEVER HEARD OF IT
9. Festen - NEVER HEARD OF IT
10. Blue is the Warmest Color - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
11. Elephant - NEVER HEARD OF IT
12. Dancer in the Dark - NEVER HEARD OF IT
13. City of God - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
14. Trainspotting - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
15. The Apple - NEVER HEARD OF IT
16. The Son - NEVER HEARD OF IT
17. About Elly - NEVER HEARD OF IT
18. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - NEVER HEARD OF IT
19. The Sky Trembles and the Two Eyes are not your Brothers - NEVER HEARD OF IT
20. Close Up - NEVER HEARD OF IT
21. Dolls - NEVER HEARD OF IT
22. Pulp Fiction - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
23. The Mirror (Jafar Panahi) - NEVER HEARD OF IT
24. Aguirre el Conquistador - NEVER HEARD OF IT
25. The Class - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
26. Kandahar - NEVER HEARD OF IT
27. Pixote - NEVER HEARD OF IT
28. Through the Olive Trees - NEVER HEARD OF IT
29. Kids - NEVER HEARD OF IT
30. Turtles Can Fly - NEVER HEARD OF IT
31. I´m Not There - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
32. Chalkboards - NEVER HEARD OF IT
33. Where is the Friend´s Home- NEVER HEARD OF IT
34. Oslo, 31st August - NEVER HEARD OF IT
35. Delicatessen - NEVER HEARD OF IT
36. Beau Travail - NEVER HEARD OF IT
37. Le Cuatro Volte - NEVER HEARD OF IT
38. Winter Sleep - NEVER HEARD OF IT
39. Crumb - NEVER HEARD OF IT
40. And Life Goes On - NEVER HEARD OF IT
41. All That Jazz - NEVER HEARD OF IT
42. Magnolia - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
43. Nashville - NEVER HEARD OF IT
44. Barton Fink - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
45. Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall - NEVER HEARD OF IT
46. Amour - NEVER HEARD OF IT
47. La Luna (Bertolucci) - NEVER HEARD OF IT
48. 11'09"01 September 11 - NEVER HEARD OF IT
49. Easy Rider - SEEN IT, WAS OK
50. Nobody Know About Persian Cats - NEVER HEARD OF IT
51. The Piano - SEEN IT, WAS OK
52. Besieged - NEVER HEARD OF IT
53. A Time For Drunken Horses - NEVER HEARD OF IT
54. She´s Gotta Have It - SEEN IT, WAS OK
55. The Wild Child - NEVER HEARD OF IT
56. Timbuktu - NEVER HEARD OF IT
57. Mulholland Drive - SEEN IT, LIKED IT (Laura Harring tried to pick me up at a party once)
58. This Must Be the Place - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
59. Dersu Uzula - NEVER HEARD OF IT
60. Stories We Tell - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
61. The Son´s Room - NEVER HEARD OF IT
62. The Bird People of China - NEVER HEARD OF IT
63. Colors: Red - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
64. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - NEVER HEARD OF IT
65. A Clockwork Orange - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
66. Apocalypse Now - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
67. Crime and Misdemeanours - NEVER HEARD OF IT
68. The Guitar Mongoloid - NEVER HEARD OF IT
69. Rat Catcher - NEVER HEARD OF IT
70. Taxi Driver - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
71. Amores Perros - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
72. Betty Blue - NEVER HEARD OF IT
73. Pelle el Conquistador - NEVER HEARD OF IT
74. La Vendedora de Rosas - NEVER HEARD OF IT
75. Stranger than Paradise - NEVER HEARD OF IT
76. Slacker - NEVER HEARD OF IT
77. Elite Squad - SEEN IT, ENJOYED IT
78. Gozu - NEVER HEARD OF IT
79. Reprise - NEVER HEARD OF IT
80. MASH - HEARD OF IT, NOT SEEN IT
81. XXY - NEVER HEARD OF IT
82. Husbands and Wives - NEVER HEARD OF IT
83. Bad Detective (Abel Ferrara) - NEVER HEARD OF IT
84. Y Tu Mama También - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
85. Winnipeg - NEVER HEARD OF IT
86. When Father was away on Business - NEVER HEARD OF IT
87. Day for Night - NEVER HEARD OF IT
88. Acid House - NEVER HEARD OF IT
89. Reservoir Dogs - SEEN IT, LOVED IT
90. All About my Mother - SEEN IT, LOVED IT (I enjoy most Almodovar work)
91. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - NEVER HEARD OF IT
92. Adaptation - SEEN IT, WAS OK
93. Crash (Cronenberg) - SEEN IT, DISGUSTED
94. Fanny and Alexander - NEVER HEARD OF IT
95. Sex, Lies and Videotape - SEEN IT, ENJOYED IT
96. A Moment of Innocence - NEVER HEARD OF IT
97. Silent House - NEVER HEARD OF IT
98. I Killed My Mother - NEVER HEARD OF IT
99. Two Years at Sea - NEVER HEARD OF IT
100. Silent Light - NEVER HEARD OF IT
:lol: WTF. I can't believe I haven't even heard of most of these films. I saw you have a few Spanish language ones on there. Have you seen El Secretyo de Sus Ojos? Incredible film IMO.

Last edited:

Ubik

What do you mean "tried"? :lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The fact you like The Class has raised you in my estimation Simon.

Edit: but you misattributed Y Tu Mama Tambien to Almodovar, so you're back where you started.
You know, I mistook it for Todo Sobre Mi Madre (which he had further down the list in English). But I have seen both. Was just a typo. Sorry.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I saw In the mood before 2046. I didn't love In the mood, but I can understand the appeal. 2046 I just found incredibly tedious.
I can sort of understand that. 2046 is WKW straight to the veins, can be a bit much for some people who's not that familiar with him.

You should definitely watch Chungking Express, it's not like those other films, really. Listen to ThierryHenry's rather unbiased view.

:lol: Burrnnnnnnnnnnn
Really??

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I can sort of understand that. 2046 is WKW straight to the veins, can be a bit much for some people who's not that familiar with him.

You should definitely watch Chungking Express, it's not like those other films, really. Listen to ThierryHenry's rather unbiased view.

Really??
Well, you called him desperate.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Oh, wait, I get it now. I just woke up.

Oh so Days of Being Wild is the same Maggie Cheung character? Okay, I'll delay on 2046 for now. I'll rent DoBW and Chungking by the end of the week (somewhat awkwardly have Triumph of the Will arriving next :nervous:).

What are the other recommended WKW ones? Happy Together? Less of the recent stuff?
All the 90's stuff is very good.

Ashes of Time Redux should probably be watched last.