Redcafe Top 100 Movies: this time we're going to pull it off, honestly

Spoony

The People's President
The Thin Red Line is fecking amazing. Das Boot, Apocalypse Now and Thin Red Line are my top three war movies. (Ran's probably the best film ever but...)

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The Thin Red Line is fecking amazing. Das Boot, Apocalypse Now and Thin Red Line are my top three war movies. (Ran's probably the best film ever but...)
Best film ever you say, blimey, high praise from you man. I take it then you would suggest I should watch it as soon as I can?

pauldyson1uk

A few of those will most definitely make it into your top 100. I've highlighted the 10 I would recommend you watching presto. I haven't highlighted The Godfathers cos it's a fecking crime you haven't watched them yet so get to it ffs.
Quite few of those I have not seen.
Took mE years to want to watch the Godfathers but when I did , OMG.

Spoony

The People's President
Best film ever you say, blimey, high praise from you man. I take it then you would suggest I should watch it as soon as I can?
Cinematic masterpiece, Adzzz, proper visual tour de force - Are you into Kurosawa? Oh and have you seen The Thin Red Line, by the way? I loved it, but I've yet to see The Badlands. Talking about great films I watched Gone in 60 secs the other day.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Quite few of those I have not seen.
Took mE years to want to watch the Godfathers but when I did , OMG.
Godfather is one of those that people who haven't watched it yet usually delay because of all the praise and fear of being disappointed - but it hardly ever turns out that way, they're just exceptional films who have stood the test of time exceptionally well and should be seen by anyone even remotely interested in cinema.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I was blown away by Ran on a not so great amazon prime stream a couple of years back, really need to get the new blu-ray.

Adzzz

Staff
Cinematic masterpiece, Adzzz, proper visual tour de force - Are you into Kurosawa? Oh and have you seen The Thin Red Line, by the way? I loved it, but I've yet to see The Badlands. Talking about great films I watched Gone in 60 secs the other day.
Very much into Kurosawa, I was toying with Rashomon as my no.1 film but after careful consideration didn't quite make it.

I saw The Thin Red Line in my early teens with my dad, didn't really watch it properly, so it's high on my 'watch it correctly' list. Fecking love Gone in 60 seconds! :lol:

Adzzz

Staff
that and Das Boot , not seen either.
Das Boot is brilliant, perfectly paced even considering it's length. Make sure you watch the full version, mind. Also has one of the best movie theme songs ever.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'll watch Ran, you and Nilssy talk about it highly, it must be great.

Watch Badlands. I didn't like it as much as Thin Red Line, but it's still very good and it's a very mature film for a 30 year old director. All the markers of Malick's filmography are there.

Adzzz

Staff
7 straight nights form Monday, I have quite a few to watch, also have a feeling I could be doing some changes to my top 100
It's never ending isn't it? Watch one new great film, try and watch more by that director, more featuring those actors, then scope around their inspirations and those they inspired, suddenly you've got 30 new films on the list!

Smores

I've tried to do my list on enjoyment rather than artistic integrity so no points for breakthrough here. Still needs work as some don't deserve to be in there and others do but i have a conference call momentarily and i've been doing this list for ages :D

12 Angry Men
28 days later
A Wolf of wall street
Airplane
Aliens
Amadeus
America Psycho (It’s hip to be square)
American Beauty
American History X
Anchorman
Annie Hall
Atonement
Back to the Future
Batman begins
Battle Royal
Blade Runner
Blazing Saddles
Blues Brothers
Boure Identity
City of god
Clockwork Orange
Die Hard
District 9
Dr Strangelove
E.T
Elf
Empire Strikes back
Equilibrium
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Ex-Machina
Ferris Buelers Day off
Fight club
Forest Gump
Ghostbusters
Godfather
Godfather 2
Goodbye Lenin
Green mile
Gremlins
Home alone
Inside Out
Into the wild
It’s a Wonderful Life
Jurassic Park
Kick ass
Kill Bill
Kingsman
Labyrinth
Let the right one in
Life of Brian
Lord of the Rings
Lost in translation
Mad Max
Matrix
Moon
Mullholland drive
Muppets Christmas Carol
Office Space
Pan’s Labyrinth
Pulp fiction
Read Window
Reservoir dogs
Scarface
School of Rock
Scott Pilgrim vs the world
Se7en
Shaun of the Dead
Short Circuit
Slumdog Millionaire
Snatch
Star trek
Terminator 2
The bridge on the river kwai
The Last Emperor
The Last Samurai
The Lion King
The Man from Earth
The Prestige
The Producers
The Shining
The Thing
The usual suspects
Top gun
Toy story
Toy Story 3
Trainspotting
Truman Show
Up
V for Vendetta
Van Wilder
What’s eating gilberts grape
Willy Wonker
Zombieland

Spoony

The People's President

Watch Badlands. I didn't like it as much as Thin Red Line, but it's still very good and it's a very mature film for a 30 year old director. All the markers of Malick's filmography are there.
You'll love it I'm sure, it's...well...visually stunning for starters. Thing is I hate bigging up films that I love in case folk are left underwhelmed/disappointed after watching them.
Not only the best war film (along with Apocalypse Now, for me), but one of my favourite films full stop. I saw it recently on the big screen for the first time, wonderful experience.
Lucky man, I'd love to watch it on the big screen but yeah one of the best films ever made, full stop.

that and Das Boot , not seen either.
Both great films.

Very much into Kurosawa, I was toying with Rashomon as my no.1 film but after careful consideration didn't quite make it.

I saw The Thin Red Line in my early teens with my dad, didn't really watch it properly, so it's high on my 'watch it correctly' list. Fecking love Gone in 60 seconds! :lol:
Yeah it's fecking awful isn't it, not even Vinnie could save it! But Ran is a must for you, man.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Thin Red Line is the most lyrical war film you'll ever see, turns Guadalcanal into a Garden of Eden-esque paradise lost.

Do it!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I can see this thread doing some damage to my bank balance.

Adzzz

Staff
Yeah it's fecking awful isn't it, not even Vinnie could save it! But Ran is a must for you, man.
Watched it for the cars, enjoyed it for the cars! Yeah I'm gonna, shortly, probably too. I'll report back when I do.

I didn't realise it's from 1985, always thought it was from around the Yojimbo days.

Spoony

The People's President
Watched it for the cars, enjoyed it for the cars! Yeah I'm gonna, shortly, probably too. I'll report back when I do.

I didn't realise it's from 1985, always thought it was from around the Yojimbo days.
It's his last masterpiece. Hope you love it as much as Nils and I did.

Adzzz

Staff
It's his last masterpiece. Hope you love it as much as Nils and I did.
I'm excited for it. Also, I'm sure it was you, or perhaps Hectic, who recommended Un Prophete. I saw it yesterday. It's a very clever film, lots of role swapping and social commentary - traditionalism, isolationism - lots going on really. My criticism is I think it was maybe 40-50 minutes too long, in fact, I'd have cut one minor subplot because it wasn't needed to explain the recklessness of the actions towards the end. I'm being a little obtuse to avoid spoilers here.

Adzzz

Staff
Kurosawa's mostly known for his B&W films yet he really used colours to great effect in last films.
Yep, his use of colour in Ran (which I have now seen and loved) was brilliant, particularly I thought at the beginning. Not only is it just a great film, it's probably the best adaptation/staging of a Shakespeare play I've seen through film. The relationships between the primary characters, more like machinations really, were fluid and evolving. The final scenes reminded me a bit of epic scenes from stuff like Waterloo.

Kurosawa is the fecking don.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Yep, his use of colour in Ran (which I have now seen and loved) was brilliant, particularly I thought at the beginning. Not only is it just a great film, it's probably the best adaptation/staging of a Shakespeare play I've seen through film. The relationships between the primary characters, more like machinations really, were fluid and evolving. The final scenes reminded me a bit of epic scenes from stuff like Waterloo.

Kurosawa is the fecking don.
Ran trivia:

Akira Kurosawa's wife of 39 years, Yôko Yaguchi, died during the production of this film. Kurosawa halted filming for just one day to mourn before resuming work on the picture.

Several hundred costumes were all created by hand, a process taking two years to complete.

He spent ten years storyboarding every shot in the film as paintings. The resulting collection of images was published with the screenplay.

The film used approximately 1400 extras and 200 horses. 1400 suits of armor (designed by Akira Kurosawa himself) were fabricated and a number of the horses had to be imported from the United States. Kurosawa used the extras and horses so efficiently that when the film was ready for premiere, newspapers in Japan were reporting that thousands of extras and horses were used to stage the battles.

Akira Kurosawa's eyesight had deteriorated almost completely by the time principal photography began. He could only frame shots with the help of assistants, who used his storyboard paintings as guidelines.

Adzzz

Staff
I've been on a hitchcock binge lately. It's not ground-breaking but I can see about 5 or 6 of his making my top 100.

MoskvaRed

I thought thin red line was pants. Not a patch on saving private Ryan, platoon, or a bridge too far
Likewise. It badly needs some editing (or should I say even more editing as he shot hours and hours of film). It's like listening to some big rock group of the 70s doing 15 minute drum solos.

Adzzz

Staff
Vertigo's in my top 100 and Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt could easily have been in it as well.
Strangers on a Train is a masterpiece, I also think Rear Window is a sure-fire addition for my list. Vertigo is insanely good.

Jimmy Stewart man, guy's a legend.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Likewise. It badly needs some editing (or should I say even more editing as he shot hours and hours of film). It's like listening to some big rock group of the 70s doing 15 minute drum solos.
I do agree with this. I think all his post Days of Heaven work suffers from some pretty bad editing.